Carnival Coffee

mabkcruisers

I don't think that it is a retail store brand. We think coffee is a weak point on Carnival, including their unbranded coffee bar coffee. They definitely do not serve Seattle's Best Coffee. We like strong dark coffee and take along a large package of Starbucks VIA coffee and “brew” it using the hot water provided for tea making.

I don't think that it is a retail store brand. We think coffee is a weak point on Carnival, including their unbranded coffee bar coffee. They definitely do not serve Seattle's Best Coffee. We like strong dark coffee and take along a large package of Starbucks VIA coffee and “brew” it using the hot water provided for tea making.

I read about the Starbucks Via idea on a thread a while back. I like the idea of making my own coffee and the Via instant is excellent. I've got less than 100 days to my cruise. Plenty of time to remember to pack it ...then forget...then remember again etc!

I read about the Starbucks Via idea on a thread a while back. I like the idea of making my own coffee and the Via instant is excellent. I've got less than 100 days to my cruise. Plenty of time to remember to pack it ...then forget...then remember again etc!

I also got to this point after three Carnival cruises with horrible room service coffee.

To get my day started, I order two pots of hots tea with cream and splenda and get my coffee fix first thing. Then we either go to the dining room or I get more hot water and use the Starbucks one cup back in the room.

Personally, I find the Carnival room service coffee to be awful; just my opinion. I now travel with sngle servings sized Starbufcks or other brand coffee to get my first morning fix!

Does anyone know what brand of coffee they serve in the buffet and MDR on Carnival? Have enjoyed the Seattle's Best on RCCL and wondering what Carnival offers. Thanks!

Institutional Sludge. Kidding aside, I haven't cruised on Carnival yet, will in September but have been on 3 other cruise lines and none of them have good coffee. Can't wait to get home and get Dunkin Donuts coffee!

I agree with everyone who says Carnival's coffee is awful. And the room service coffee is often barely warm. The MDR and steakhouse are a little better but still not good. The only decent cup of coffee is at the coffee bars. I haven't ever tried Starubuck's VIA but I might do that before my next cruise and decide whether to take some along. Nancy

I guess I am in the minority. I don't think the coffee is that bad. I compare it to the coffee I get at my local Cumberland Farms or Circle K. I enjoy it in the morning.

I have only thought once it was disgusting. On the Carnival Sensation in the MDR. It tasted burnt. Kind of like the smell of a smoker (the BBQ version - not a person).

Does anyone know what brand of coffee they serve in the buffet and MDR on Carnival? Have enjoyed the Seattle's Best on RCCL and wondering what Carnival offers. Thanks!

I wonder if its the Autocrat cooperation. They are one of the largest coffee concentrate syrup manufactures around.

Unless you are asking about regular brewed coffee available at the specialty coffee bars for a fee; then I am not certain.

:)

I wonder if its the Autocrat cooperation. They are one of the largest coffee concentrate syrup manufactures around.

Unless you are asking about regular brewed coffee available at the specialty coffee bars for a fee; then I am not certain.

:)

I wondered the same thing. My mom worked in restaurant/catering business for a while and the concentrated coffee syrup that they often use in catering tastes a lot like Carnival's coffee so I was thinking it wasn't even brewed coffee.

Personally, I prefer strong, smooth coffee like you find in Europe. American coffee here is either weak or burnt (Starbucks). Hard to find a good strong and smooth coffee outside of Italy or most of Europe.

There was another thread here a while ago where people were talking about ways they make coffee in their room with a french press or one cup drip using hot water from room service or Lido. I thought about that, but cleaning the french press in your room is a pain.

In regards to the Autocrat company & their coffee syrup concentrate, you may be correct.

They do supply a great deal of cruise lines, colleges, cafeterias, hotels and so much more with their coffee extract.

Many people are not aware they are drinking syrup concentrate.

On many ships, the amount of syrup used varies due to who is making it.

Which in turn causes it to taste different; better or worse; (for example) from the lido buffet, mdr or room service.

When cruising, we rather pay for real brewed coffee than drink the concentrate.

I used to be in the coffee, bottled water and vending business for many years, and there is no miracle involved in producing quality coffee, and it does not even need to be "Starbucks" or "Seattles Best" or "Green Mountain" or "whatever" either. Big names do not matter except for marketing purposes.

Considering the amount of coffee cruise ships produce, a contract(s) with some local, quality roasters can provide them with some quality coffee. They might do this already, but who knows? These roasters can buy the same beans the big names do. I know, as I worked with several of them.

As an aside, I also worked with two coffee brewer manufacturers, and gave advice / feedback as to the brewers they were producing as we attempted (successfully) to improve upon the quality of the coffee produced.

Speaking in reference NOT to fancy "coffee bars" that may be on ships, but the general coffee served during meals, it comes down to essentially several things:

1. The quality of the coffee. Duh! This could mean a good Columbian, or Arabica blend. You want coffee that will satisfy the majority, but you cannot make everyone happy either. Obviously quality coffee costs $$$. I always had excellent coffee on Cunard.

2. The quality of the water used. Ship's water should be fine for brewing coffee, as it should contain some mineral content, which is desirable. You don't want to brew coffee with distilled water, which has no mineral content. The mineral content will usually add to the flavor. Again, ship's water should be fine.

3. The amount of coffee you use per "pot" or "urn". The more the stronger. Of course more coffee per pot = more $$$! ;)

4. The brewing temperature. The water should hit the coffee at around 198°, and should come out (after hitting the cooler coffee) at around 180° or so. This temperature should provide for maximum extraction from the grind. If the water temperature is too low, you're wasting money as you are not extracting enough from the grind.

5. The "grind": Fine, medium or coarse have an affect. I prefer medium to coarse grind, and this can be specified from your roaster. Also, do you work with pre-ground coffee, or just buy the whole, roasted beans, and grind the coffee on the ship. Of course this is more labor intensive ($$$$), but buying the whole beans and grinding yourself might make it a wash as to cost.

6. How is the coffee stored once brewed? If it is an urn that is used to brew / serve the coffee, such is often necessary due to the volume. If you have high turnover, it should not be a problem with an urn. The worst are the glass coffee pots (we call them "bowls") that you brew coffee into and they then sit on a burner plate on the coffee brewer. With these you have at best 20 minutes before the coffee oxidizes and burns up. Much less when the pot is no longer full.

7. The type of roast of the beans. This is something that can be determined after some taste tests.

The reality is: If water, brewing temperature and storage are on the up and up, and you have a decent quality of coffee (not saying great), it all comes down to how much coffee per brew you use and the grind of that coffee. It really is not rocket science, trust me! Any cruise line should be able to produce a more than acceptable quality of coffee, sadly, some cruise lines, and even many restaurants pay their least attention to coffee quality, and there is no reason for this.

I sailed on Liberty in early June and addressed this point in my review. I had stated that I went in anticipating the worst, and found that it was actually not that bad at all. Several respondents stated that they had thought the coffee had improved recently as well. As this was my first cruise I had no basis of comparison, but from some of the other responses I got, I think this is something that may have just been done within the last few months.

As I had also mentioned in the review, I do know a decent amount about good coffee as well, as I sometimes roast raw single-origin estate-grown green beans and then fresh-grind (after properly resting the beans for 24-72 hours for optimum oil extraction) and brew in a french press for a well-rounded, full bodied cup. My favorite all-around beans are actually the Panamanian, as it tends to provide a medium-bodied, almost creamy texture and unobtrusive finish. For changups, I will usually enjoy the tangy acidity of a Tanzanian Peaberry, or the earthiness of a Sumatra Mandehlig.

My point to all this being of course, that if I found the coffee to be more than passable and borderline decent, that it can't have been all that bad. I had even contemplated bringing my own grounds and press my first time around, I'm glad I didn't pack the unecessary bulk (not to mention having my luggage smell like coffee). For my next cruise, I'll be leaving these items off the list with confidence.

I have been on six cruises and found Carnival's coffee to at least be drinkable. Princess on the other hand was horrible while Holland American's coffee was actually the best cruise coffee. Strange since all of the mentioned cruise lines are owned by Carnival.

I sailed on Liberty in early June and addressed this point in my review. I had stated that I went in anticipating the worst, and found that it was actually not that bad at all. Several respondents stated that they had thought the coffee had improved recently as well. As this was my first cruise I had no basis of comparison, but from some of the other responses I got, I think this is something that may have just been done within the last few months.

As I had also mentioned in the review, I do know a decent amount about good coffee as well, as I sometimes roast raw single-origin estate-grown green beans and then fresh-grind (after properly resting the beans for 24-72 hours for optimum oil extraction) and brew in a french press for a well-rounded, full bodied cup. My favorite all-around beans are actually the Panamanian, as it tends to provide a medium-bodied, almost creamy texture and unobtrusive finish. For changups, I will usually enjoy the tangy acidity of a Tanzanian Peaberry, or the earthiness of a Sumatra Mandehlig.

My point to all this being of course, that if I found the coffee to be more than passable and borderline decent, that it can't have been all that bad. I had even contemplated bringing my own grounds and press my first time around, I'm glad I didn't pack the unecessary bulk (not to mention having my luggage smell like coffee). For my next cruise, I'll be leaving these items off the list with confidence.

Good to hear....perhaps it's improved since my last cruise in 2010. Thanks!

I have been on six cruises and found Carnival's coffee to at least be drinkable. Princess on the other hand was horrible while Holland American's coffee was actually the best cruise coffee. Strange since all of the mentioned cruise lines are owned by Carnival.

I agree with you about Princess coffee. They have the worst coffee I have ever had on any ship unless you get their coffee card. I think they have bad coffee in the Lido to push their coffee bars!

I agree with you about Princess coffee. They have the worst coffee I have ever had on any ship unless you get their coffee card. I think they have bad coffee in the Lido to push their coffee bars!

I've always suspected that's what's happening on Carnival as well, now that the entire fleet has premium coffee offerings.

That the only part I do not like about cruising-the coffee is really Bad!!:eek: You would think by now, they could mass produce a decent cup of coffee. We used to take our own coffee & small coffeepot when it was allowed and just leave in Cabin. But that was then..

Archived