Future solo/single passengers might want to read:

DGP1111

I think that's the difference and why I don't see it as a big deal. The furthest ahead I've booked is 8 months. It's usually around 3-5 months out. I guess if I booked WAY out, I could see the issue, BUT, I still have to pay it. So, I have to come up with more up front or more at final payment. It's not like that $250 is earning a lot of interest :)

I do understand what you're saying...yes, it does have to be paid eventually anyway and yes, currently, it's not like my money is making interest in the bank (that's worth noting anyway...) but for CCL to have my money for two years would just piss me off to where if I was a solo cruiser, I wouldn't book with them because that's just ridiculous...and again, we are back to the fact that this is just one more added thing that is making people unhappy....the things are starting to add up here.

No way I will ever make platinum level on Carnival now, or whatever they call it now. I did enjoy all my 5 Carnival cruises, but have been really looking to branch out and try other lines now for quite some time. Mom is elite on Celebrity now, so will likely do my next cruise with her, not just because she is elite on them, but because I love cruising with her. Im not bashing Carnival,and never would since I had 5 great cruises on them, but Im just not feeling that warm fuzzy feeling I used to. Some day another carnival cruise maybe, just maybe, but next solo will be on another line.:cool:

I am single, but I'm not older, and have a good job. However, I don't see the difference. Amount owed doesn't change. You just have to save your deposit money and maybe book a month or two later. Where is the difference?

If cruise of choice pops up unexpectedly, on a reduced rate, that's the difference. My eyes almost popped at the rate. I retired about a year ago now, hit 2 cruises paid off while working. Retirement dropped income by 2/3, but it was the right time to do it. I won't go on with my sob story. I wish people with adequate income, or has another income provider would see how crushing it is to some of us.

We are aware of the math, we just have to juggle it around.

I think that's the difference and why I don't see it as a big deal. The furthest ahead I've booked is 8 months. It's usually around 3-5 months out. I guess if I booked WAY out, I could see the issue, BUT, I still have to pay it. So, I have to come up with more up front or more at final payment. It's not like that $250 is earning a lot of interest :)

I have to agree with you. For the individual traveller, the $250 paid early would likely not generate much interest. However, to Carnival the $250 paid early for each solo traveller can be quite significant and allow their CFO to quite a float. Also, if it is non-refundable, then any future cancellations would just increase the profit. I guess they have researched the issue and determined that any future profit with this new deposit requirement will outway any lost revenue from irate solo cruisers.

It makes absolutely no difference to me.

I tend to not like to pay for something earlier than necessary, but I have to pay it all eventually. Just means there's less due on final payment date!

Judging by the number of people on here who comment often about making payments and paying off early, I just don't see why people are reacting like this. It seems as though many people pay early by choice.

BTW, my PVP told me Carnival was going to start doing this over a year ago. My first solo was last October to Bermuda and I booked at 150% in one of the porthole cabins on Glory that is classified as a 1A.

When I booked my solo leg of my upcoming B2B, I expected to pay double deposit but he said that it hadn't taken effect yet.

I can't sail last minute so can't take advantage of the some last-minute deal that may be available to solo cruisers on some other lines.

I'll continue to base my cruising decisions on the total cost and the itinerary.

I do understand what you're saying...yes, it does have to be paid eventually anyway and yes, currently, it's not like my money is making interest in the bank (that's worth noting anyway...) but for CCL to have my money for two years would just piss me off to where if I was a solo cruiser, I wouldn't book with them because that's just ridiculous...and again, we are back to the fact that this is just one more added thing that is making people unhappy....the things are starting to add up here.

Yes, 2 years out IS ridiculous. And yes, it adds to the things that make people unhappy. However, I'm afraid this may be the norm. As previously posted, I had to put down $500 for my Celebrity cruise. When I make final payment next month, it's less than $400. Lines may be getting burned with cancellations to the point they have to drop rates way low to refill the cabins. Could be one reason...

Lines may be getting burned with cancellations to the point they have to drop rates way low to refill the cabins. Could be one reason...

Could be.

Like I said after the last 'brilliant' CCL change, I am curious to see what is changed next.....

Another BRILLIANT idea.

Someone asked what next. I am sure that it will not be long before they start making the solo cruisers pay double taxes. After all we already pay double port charges when we cruise solo-money that they do not have to pay to the ports.

It really looks like carnival is trying to get rid of all solo cruisers.

In the mid-90's Carnival used to put single cruisers of the same sex in a shared room. I couldn't believe they did that but we ate with people who shared a cabin. I think Carnival just wants to pack its ships full.

I remember that. Was on the Triumph in 2002 and met a nice lady who was sharing a room with another lady. She came to the dining room one night and said the lady had put her suitcases outside the door and kicked her out of the room. Since there was an upper/lower bed, she refused to have someone sleep above her. The lady that kicked her out came to the dining room the first night and basically was rude to the dining room staff and was very demanding of the waiters. Was happy she did not show up the rest of the week.

Carnival was able to move the lady to another room and the situation was resolved.

I've done a few solo cruises, and my initial thought is that I simply wouldn't care if the entire fare were due outright. My bottom line is the total fare, and how it compares with other lines for ports, accommodations, etc.

That said, it may not be the wisest decision on Carnival's part, but then I don't think they really need solos too desperately.

We take up cabin space and I suspect there's a quantifiable difference between independent souls like us as compared to strongly social people who couldn't bear the thought of cruising alone -- I bet we spend less per person. People are more prone to letting their financial guard down when they're with other people who want to do things, shop, have (expensive) fun, and so on. I bet solos are more likely to do their own thing when it comes to excursions, as well. That's the impression I get from conversations that I've had with other solo cruisers.

We really don't make the cruise lines much money.

This is somewhat of a deal breaker for me. I said I wouldn't book another solo cruise after they eliminated the 150% solo rate, but I did. Now this. I don't want to have to pay a $500 or $600 deposit for one person for a cruise. That's ridiculous. I will continue to cruise Carnival with my mother, but I will not be booking another solo. Not as long as these policies stay in place. :(

:cool: I have 16 cruises, with 17 & 18 booked, which half have been solo. I cruise with family or friends if I have a roomate ok, if not and I want to go on that cruise I will pay now or pay later!!:) Simple as that!! I hear this "I will never sail Carnival agan" everytime there is a change!!!:rolleyes:

Hmmm...I guess I'm a bit surprised at the strong reactions some people are having to this change, but at the same time I'm not a solo cruiser so maybe I just don't "get it".

I guess from my point of view, it's all the same - you're paying the same percentage of your fare upfront that those who are two in a room are paying, total. So it is in fact "bringing your deposit in line with the cruise fare", in other words bringing the deposit up to the same level as anyone else paying the same fare.

I can see why the change itself might irk some people, but I know I personally wouldn't run to switch cruise lines over having to pay an extra $250 upfront on a cruise. It's not that they are asking you to pay more - just pay more upfront. The change from 150% to 200% - that sucked. This...not so sure why the responses are quite so passionate.

For sure there will be some for whom it is a financial burden, and that I can understand, but surely that can't be the majority?

I can see why the change itself might irk some people, but I know I personally wouldn't run to switch cruise lines over having to pay an extra $250 upfront on a cruise. It's not that they are asking you to pay more - just pay more upfront.

Yeah, never let emotions get in the way of math.

It doesn't add up: "I'm so mad, and I'm on a tight budget, therefore I'll make a purchase that costs me hundreds of dollars more in the long run."

you're paying the same percentage of your fare upfront that those who are two in a room are paying, total. So it is in fact "bringing your deposit in line with the cruise fare", in other words bringing the deposit up to the same level as anyone else paying the same fare.

Well, not exactly.

My fare on the last triumph 5 day, was $169, total was $383, because I only pay one add on taxes and fees. If two booked it would be over $400, so its not the same percentage.

So, in fact the deposit of $400, I guess I would only pay $383.XX the total all upfront now.. they wouldnt charge me two deposits since it would now be less than the total fare.

solo you pay only one add on fees and taxes, so it cant be exactly the same percentage.

Well, not exactly.

My fare on the last triumph 5 day, was $169, total was $383, because I only pay one add on taxes and fees. If two booked it would be over $400, so its not the same percentage.

So, in fact the deposit of $400, I guess I would only pay $383.XX the total all upfront now.. they wouldnt charge me two deposits since it would now be less than the total fare.

solo you pay only one add on fees and taxes, so it cant be exactly the same percentage.

This is an excellent example of just how absurd this new solo deposit policy is!!

Using this example you would be paying for your cruise in FULL at the time of booking.

Crazy simply crazy!

Well, not exactly.

:cool: But on that cruise didn't you book last minute?? So full price had to be paid up front?? Just asking!:) If I didn't live so far away I would jump on that!!:D

Since when did double, triple, and/or quadruple occupancy have to pay 200% deposit per person? How does that make it equal?

Two people book a double occupancy room...Carnival collects $500 for a seven day cruise. One person books a double occupancy room...Carnival collects $500. Why should the solo cruiser catch a break? Carnival is equalizing things for their cash flow.

Take emotion out of it. From a business perspective, it makes sense. It's not a personal "screw you" to solo cruisers (and I've done 5 solo/single occupancy cruises on CCL, so I am impacted). It's a business decision. Do I like it? Not really, but such is single life in a couples world.

Archived