Future solo/single passengers might want to read:

DGP1111

2) Don't have that kind of money for a deposit? You will sooner or later, if you're capable of saving up for a cruise and all of the other costs, and you'll have to pay the full amount sooner or later. Wait one month or two, save up the remaining deposit due, and then book.

Now that is funny. Waiting a month or 2 to make your cruise cost some hefty dollars.

Had I waited to book my next cruise by a month or 2 I would be paying well over $300pp more.

As of today my cruise is sitting at $460 more pp than what I booked it for.

Waiting is not always an option when you book far enough in advance using ES.

It's all about saving dollars not spending more.

sshhhhhhh ... you gotta point... but someone could be listening...;)

So, solos already pay double cabin rate. Solos also pay double port taxes to the ports of call for that invisible guest in the cabin (although he doesn't remember going to Cozumel that many times). Soon, a solo will pay double deposit for that invisible guest. I would call that a triple double.

Solos may think they are alone in their stateroom, but actually they have someone in their cabin, as far as CCL is concerned. It allows them to say the ship is booked at 100%.

I would like to propose that as a loyal platinum (and former "Milestone Rewards") guest, perhaps CCL could allow me two set of platinum perks: two logo gifts, four bags (instead of two) of laundry, two chocolate delights, two comp beverages. Me and my invisible friend who have shared a cabin 27 times would appreciate it - at least I know he would.

So when will CCL realize they are penalizing solo travelers? Next CCL could require solos to pay 200% gratuities because the stewards and waiters aren't getting their normal gratuity, because some single person booked an inside cabin that could have up to four people. Don't get me wrong, the stewards and waiters work extremely hard and I have no problem paying the gratuity. But I pay the tips over and beyond the $11.50 a day because I want to, not because CCL could (as a hypothetical) require it because I m causing them lost revenue by traveling solo.

That`s what I meant when talking about we are still paying tips per person not per cabin. No problem at all paying tips right now. But as it is a recommended tip they can not enforce 200% gratuities for solos. And I would adjust it then. They could use our double payed port fees for the additional tips.

I don`t have a problem paying the new downpayment as the rate for the cruise is still the same. But i would think about using ES when booking. Had to cancell and rebook twice.

When booking in Germany the downpayment is 10% of your cruise fare.

You lose it when cancelling the cruise.

Non solo cruisers, would you be okay with paying a 200% deposit per person?

500 x2 for a total of 1000 up front. Cruise cost remains the same, mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Just ordered a tshirt from carnival that says "carnival, UNFRIENDLY to Solo Cruisers". should make an interesting boarding photo.

Sounds like you need to find another cruise line that more closely matches your needs and expectations. With a hostile attitude can you possibly have a good time?

I would like to propose that as a loyal platinum (and former "Milestone Rewards") guest, perhaps CCL could allow me two set of platinum perks: two logo gifts, four bags (instead of two) of laundry, two chocolate delights, two comp beverages. Me and my invisible friend who have shared a cabin 27 times would appreciate it - at least I know he would.

That's a really valid point so why not book for two since you have to pay it anyway and then your roomie is a no show and you can keep the second set of perks.

Non solo cruisers, would you be okay with paying a 200% deposit per person?

500 x2 for a total of 1000 up front. Cruise cost remains the same, mind you.

No matter what the non solo cruisers say, you know they would not be happy paying double deposit.

So, solos already pay double cabin rate. Solos also pay double port taxes to the ports of call for that invisible guest in the cabin (although he doesn't remember going to Cozumel that many times). Soon, a solo will pay double deposit for that invisible guest. I would call that a triple double.

Solos may think they are alone in their stateroom, but actually they have someone in their cabin, as far as CCL is concerned. It allows them to say the ship is booked at 100%.

Sounds good to me. I wonder what they would say onboard if we asked for what we have paid for?

Just ordered a tshirt from carnival that says "carnival, UNFRIENDLY to Solo Cruisers". should make an interesting boarding photo.

You can't seriously be gonna wear that? Really? I'm a solo cruiser.......but I have the right to take my business elsewhere.......as do you.....

but really..... doesn't this kinda set the mood for your cruise as kinda sucking before you even get on...... Rethink this......

No matter what the non solo cruisers say, you know they would not be happy paying double deposit.

Oh I know. None would admit it, very easy to not get upset about something that isn't happening.

I posted on JHs FB a few days ago. No info yet.

This is a big deal! Its easy to pay intial deposit and pay off over time gotta love early saver and for some of us this is alot easier but to pay dbl deposit and paying for dbl occupancy its outragous! I love cruising solo but with the changes and prices who wants to throw money away! Carnival if u take dbl the money ur possibly not gonna have someone who spends alot on boat! However if u charged me regular deposit, room person and half, i would more likely think i mean more to u and i would spend more! CArnival plz stop! U will lose customer over this for sure!

This is a big deal! Its easy to pay intial deposit and pay off over time gotta love early saver and for some of us this is alot easier but to pay dbl deposit and paying for dbl occupancy its outragous! I love cruising solo but with the changes and prices who wants to throw money away! Carnival if u take dbl the money ur possibly not gonna have someone who spends alot on boat! However if u charged me regular deposit, room person and half, i would more likely think i mean more to u and i would spend more! CArnival plz stop! U will lose customer over this for sure!

Sadly, I think Carnival feels that the customers they will gain will outweigh the number of disgruntled solo cruisers they lose. They are making a business decision that they feel is in their best interest, not mine. They went to 200 percent for solos and that has not changed. This new change will probably stick as well. Just hope that the rest of the cruise industry does not adopt this change.

I sent off an email to Carnival giving my opinion; however, don't think it will change anything.

Sadly, I think Carnival feels that the customers they will gain will outweigh the number of disgruntled solo cruisers they lose. They are making a business decision that they feel is in their best interest, not mine. They went to 200 percent for solos and that has not changed. This new change will probably stick as well. Just hope that the rest of the cruise industry does not adopt this change.

I sent off an email to Carnival giving my opinion; however, don't think it will change anything.

You really think Carnival is looking to increase the number of couples and families booking 1a's???

You really think Carnival is looking to increase the number of couples and families booking 1a's???

I actually do think 1As on the newer ships are popular with couples and 2s, sailing together, especially the port holes which are OV size and you can see out of.. Id take one over a inside any day.

I think Carnival does want more bodies in those cabins.. as many as fit. More bodies, overall = more spending onboard.

Carnival is trying to maximize their revenue. They feel that 2 people can go into a 1A category and are charging based on that assumption. Also, Carnival used to price categories higher than a 1a very favorable for singles and that became 200 percent before the 1A's.

Bottom line, what I am trying to say is if I don't sail Carnival, someone else will whether it is another solo person paying 200 percent or a couple. That is all. No matter what I feel or think, Carnival will sail with their ships full.

Bottom line, what I am trying to say is if I don't sail Carnival, someone else will whether it is another solo person paying 200 percent or a couple. That is all. No matter what I feel or think, Carnival will sail with their ships full.

Without a doubt.

Archived