Loved our Nile Cruise - with kids, in summer!

dijid

We just got back from a Nile river cruise and I thought I'd post a some comments about it. I had a very hard time finding information before we left, and maybe this will help someone else who is considering a Nile cruise.

First, I think it's important to note that we took this cruise with a foreign operator (Marmara). We are currently living overseas, and the prices for cruises aimed at Americans are ridiculously overpriced compared to the prices being sold in Europe (France, in particular). We got an all-inclusive package (local drinks, most shore excursions, tips for boat personnel included) for one double room and one triple room for just under 3000€. Total. For five. This included round-trip air from Paris to Luxor. Our only additional expenses were visas ($15 each), optional excursions (6 were offered) and tips to the tour guides. It was an incredible value.

Overall, we had a fantastic time. We sailed on the M/S Voyager which was quite nice. The rooms were nice and spacious, the giant sliding window opened so it was like having a balcony. The bathroom was good sized, but the shower was miniscule, and there wasn't much storage in our room. Food was good, and by following a simple rule of "no uncooked vegetables and no unpeeled fruit" no one had stomach problems. It was always served in a buffet, and we had an assigned table. We had unlimited drinks with our wristband, but had to go to one of the bars to get them. There were several other families, so my kids weren't alone. There were some activities/entertainment offered. Some games during the day, a small show or dancing each evening. Nothing that wowed us, but enough that we weren't bored (it helped that there was a pool table and renting the balls and cues was only 2€/hour). The pool was our main activity on the boat.

Our cruise visited Luxor (Temple of Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Colossi of Memnon), went through the Esna Lock & Dam, stopped in Edfu (Temple of Horus at Edfu), and on to Aswan (Aswan High Dam, Unfinished Obelisk, Kom Ombo Temple, Philae Temple). Along the way, we visited the obligatory Perfumery, Papyrus Institute and Alabaster shop. The jewelry sell was optional on the boat. None of these were high-pressured, and we never felt obligated to purchase. Optional shore excursions were the Sound & Light shows at Philae and Karnak (20€ pp), a visit to Hapshetsut's temple and the worker's village near Valley of the Kings (? - I forgot price), a very early morning visit to Abu Simbel (90€), and an "Explore Aswan" visit that included a boat tour around Elephantine Island, Botanical Gardens, Camel Ride and visit to a Nubian Village (27€/adult; 21€/children - we did this one and loved it.)

Egypt in summer is HOT. But with enough preparation, it's definitely manageable. We found it best to wear lightweight cotton or linen and stay as covered as possible. (We are extremely fair-skinned). Carried - and drank - a ton of water. Mosquitoes were not at all a problem. The only older couple (I estimate close to, if not in, their 70s) went on the first shore excursion and had problems with the heat. They did not go on any excursions after that. It is also very dry and spraying water on hair, faces, etc. helped a lot.

As to the situation in Egypt - We went because we were afraid it would be "now or never." We were supposed to go to Cairo on NCL's Jade back in Feb. 2011, but that was cancelled when all heck broke loose weeks before our scheduled stop. I read a lot on Tripadvisor about the aggressiveness of vendors, the touching, etc. and must say that in our experience, it varied from mildly annoying to downright threatening (a caleche driver and buddy physically holding my husband and demanding a higher tip.) We never ventured more than a block from the ship on our own. (McDonalds in Aswan - for ice cream!) Having kids with us definitely made us super-cautious.

Our program director gave a big talk at the start and warned of possible scams, etc. Our tour guide tried to help and even sometimes negotiated prices. I cannot imagine touring the areas we did without being in a group led by a tour guide. Normally, I'm a DIY person when it comes to shore excursions, but I would never, ever recommend that on a Nile cruise. Once, I overheard our program director talking with someone about how sad it is that the tourists used to come out of a temple and spend time wandering around the souks, but now they just make a beeline for their group/bus. He lamented that the desperate vendors are turning off the tourists and don't realize how they're only making it worse for themselves and are driving everyone off. I really do feel they're in a downward spiral. He also pointed out that the tourist police are non-effective and becoming non-existent. He recommended people do a little exploring in Aswan and Luxor, but not to get out of the main, well-lit areas. Very few people on our ship wandered off on their own. I talked to a woman who was traveling solo and she made one trip out to get to an ATM (very close to ship) and was accosted and didn't feel safe and never left the ship on her own after that.

It is a shame, really, because everything we saw was truly amazing and beckoning to be explored more. I am so glad we did this cruise and we will absolutely, never forget it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to post. I have wanted to go back Egypt and do a river cruise. Only done port stops on an ocean cruise to Cairo from Port Said and Luxor or Safaga and this was in 2007 before the political uprising. So was very unsure of what was going on presently.

dijid, Thank you for you account of your recent trip! There is so little on the message boards about recent Nile cruises, so I really appreciated you post. I will be traveling to Egypt in December for Uniworld's River Tosca cruise. I'm traveling with my mother and 2 aunts. I hope the weather will be cooler so my mother will be able to see the sites.

We will be going on the Abercrombie & Kent trip in December so I hope those of you who go before us will post here when you return. As said above, there are few postings about Egypt right now though tours still seem to be happening so thanks to OP for starting this thread.

I have searched the internet for hours and gotten very little information about recent Nile cruises. I've been looking specifically for reviews on the cruise tour we will be taking in December--Uniworld's River Tosca. One of the CruiseCritic members posted a fabulous review of their October 2011 trip. BUT, I'm really interested in learning about recent trips to Cairo and the Nile, too...I'm a little apprehensive, but excited, too. I'll keep watching the boards and hope for new posts :)

I have searched the internet for hours and gotten very little information about recent Nile cruises. I've been looking specifically for reviews on the cruise tour we will be taking in December--Uniworld's River Tosca. One of the CruiseCritic members posted a fabulous review of their October 2011 trip. BUT, I'm really interested in learning about recent trips to Cairo and the Nile, too...I'm a little apprehensive, but excited, too. I'll keep watching the boards and hope for new posts :)

I will definitely post -- if not during then definitely after!:)

We just got back from a Nile river cruise and I thought I'd post a some comments about it. I had a very hard time finding information before we left, and maybe this will help someone else who is considering a Nile cruise.

First, I think it's important to note that we took this cruise with a foreign operator (Marmara). We are currently living overseas, and the prices for cruises aimed at Americans are ridiculously overpriced compared to the prices being sold in Europe (France, in particular). We got an all-inclusive package (local drinks, most shore excursions, tips for boat personnel included) for one double room and one triple room for just under 3000€. Total. For five. This included round-trip air from Paris to Luxor. Our only additional expenses were visas ($15 each), optional excursions (6 were offered) and tips to the tour guides. It was an incredible value.

Overall, we had a fantastic time. We sailed on the M/S Voyager which was quite nice. .

How long was this cruise? We are going on Sanctuary SunBoat IV next April, and booked directly with Sanctuary Retreats in Egypt (Abercrombie & Kent - Egypt).

Thanks so much posting your review. We to were supposed to do the Nile back in Feb. 2011 and had to cancel. We were so disappointed. I still cannot persuade my husband and friends to go now. I will have to wait for a little more stability. It was interesting to read how you found the situation right now. Thanks again.

Archived