Review of Jewel to Alaska 7/28-8/4 - with pictures

sdmike

At 12:45 we met in the Stardust theater and were ushered out through crew hallways to a waiting twin hulled catamaran with four 600hp engines. By the way, walking through the crew halls showed just how seriously they take their ratings and awards. There were progress posters showing various rankings of the ships and the crew. Especially notable were the big board touting the Vacation Stars, those that received positive comments on their Star Cards (used to be Style Cards). The “stars” also wore pins. It’s clearly very important to them.[/font]

But I digress…

Once on the boat we headed off to Tracy Arm lickety split. As we exited the harbor the Pearl was coming in to take the place of the Jewel at Pier AJ.

IMG_2963-vi.jpg

They blew their horns at each other a couple of times, which seemed quite funny at the time:

Pearl: Hey…get going. You’re in my spot

Jewel: Oh shut it…you’re early

Pearl: Pfft. Only by a few minutes. Get a move on, will ya?

Jewel: Make me…

I digress again

It took over an hour to get down to Tracy Arm, and the crew of the boat kept saying how good the conditions were today. Um….were they seeing what I was? It was raining and cold, and yet about a half dozen of us die hards were out on the decks taking pictures. The other 100 wimps stayed inside, occasionally sticking their heads out for some cool air before muttering about the cold and going back to the warmth of the glass windowed boat. Oh yeah…and their free hot chocolate, coffee and donut holes. Lol

Anyway, pictures don’t do Tracy Arm justice. It is awe inspiring. Stunning. Amazing

IMG_3052-vi.jpg

IMG_3053-vi.jpg

We sidled up to water falls, got close to stunningly blue icebergs, and meandered out way down the 30 mile long fjord. The HAL Oosterdam joined us on our trek but had to stay a mile away from the glaciers. We got 4 times closer, enough to hear and feel calving and “shooters” (underwater calving) and the waves they caused. First we cruised up to North Sawyer and sat for 45 minutes or so before going down to South Sawyer. Again…wow! Until you’re in that cold rain, fresh air and surrounded by that beauty, you just won’t understand how amazing it is.[/font]

DSCN5140-vi.jpg

DSCN5148-vi.jpg

DSCN5225-vi.jpg

Wow! Absolutely love your pictures! Thanks for the review!

• 5 months later...
Mike what a great review and the pics were awesome. We are going to book the Jewel for late August 2014....man that seems far away...but thanks for pushing us over the edge...:)

You're welcome (I think) :) Alaska is stunning

Beautiful pictures and fun read - you clearly did your research! Love the pet eagle pics and the comment about the seals looking like sausages. I'm sure the polar bears and orcas would agree! I like the fog and chill, perhaps a result of growing up in Washington, but I do wonder if you'd have had better weather in August? The empty deck pictures really do make a case for an enclosed pool deck for Alaska.

We hope to take our three kids on this trip in a few years - and we also lost a preteen who jumped on the train at Seatac. However, he didn't see what all the fuss was about - we finally found him at baggage claim with all our luggage and his grandparents, who came to pick us up. That's about when the adrenaline wore off for me, so I didn't have the strength to strangle him.

• 1 month later...
While we were up by the Glacier we heard a loud scraping noise and turned to see the Oosterdam trying to get through some icebergs. It was taking quite a beating, and I bet the captain will too the next time they take a look at that ship’s hull. I learned later that the Jewel’s captain was pretty ticked off at the Oosterdam captain for “hogging the view” for a full 2 hours, keeping the Jewel from getting closer when she arrived.

IMG_3158-vi.jpg

DSCN5251-vi.jpg

Around 6pm our boat turned and started heading away from the glacier, just as the Jewel rounded the bend and came into view. Our boat cheered. I’m not sure if it’s because it was such a majestic sight or because we were frozen like popsicles…or both. Yeah…probably both. It was funny. As we approached the Jewel to board we were getting cheers and cat calls from people on their balcony. Some guy offered to throw me a beer but thought better of it. Someone yelled down asking “where are you coming from? Where is your luggage?” not knowing we were an excursion. They thought we had missed the boat in Juneau and had to rush down to meet them. LOL

Was this a tour where you got off the cruise ship while in the Sawyer Glacier? If so, how can I book this tour?

Was this a tour where you got off the cruise ship while in the Sawyer Glacier? If so, how can I book this tour?

This is actually an NCL excursion that leaves the dock in Juneau about 15 minutes before the Jewel leaves port. Our smaller boat ran ahead of the Jewel down to Tracy Arm and met up with her when the Jewel arrived a few hours later.

I just ran across this and thoroughly enjoyed your review and incredible pics. I have been to Alaska and have been on the Jewel's sister ship (Pearl). All was a stroll down memory lane. I have a trip booked on the Pearl in 2015 and am now thinking I need to go back to Alaska. I do concur that even if you dont like the cold---- cruise to Alaska. I am a So. Floridian and loved it. Just bring layers of clothes.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, got to lookin at your photos of Alaska, great pictures!! Have been thinkin about going back to Alaska next yr, on the Norwegian Jewel. Have been sailing with mostly Rccl and Princess. My next cruise will be the first on this cruise line, the Jewel. Looks like an ok ship, have been leary about sailing, but the pictures proved worthwhile. Think you sold me. Now tell me about the food and drinks.

Virginia

• 2 months later...
Hi guys, got to lookin at your photos of Alaska, great pictures!! Have been thinkin about going back to Alaska next yr, on the Norwegian Jewel. Have been sailing with mostly Rccl and Princess. My next cruise will be the first on this cruise line, the Jewel. Looks like an ok ship, have been leary about sailing, but the pictures proved worthwhile. Think you sold me. Now tell me about the food and drinks.

Virginia

Hi Virginia. Food is very subjective, but since we've also cruised RCCL a couple of times I think I have the ability to compare. We found the buffet selection and quality to be a bit higher on NCL, but the dining room food on RCCL a bit better. However, I would say they are very comparable. Decent quality and lots of options.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Found this while researching Alaskan NCL cruises and oh heavens I am so ready to book right now!

You have a great eye and your photos are stunning.

I haven't been on the Jewel yet so Thank you for such a great review!:)

I just booked this cruise for September 6th of this year and can't wait!

Love your review and all the pictures...thanks so much. :)

Just sent a link of your review to my sister and her dh who will also be going on this cruise.

I just booked this cruise for September 6th of this year and can't wait!

Love your review and all the pictures...thanks so much. :)

Just sent a link of your review to my sister and her dh who will also be going on this cruise.

Have a great time! Glad you liked the review