Review of Jewel to Alaska 7/28-8/4 - with pictures

sdmike

Here is my similar picture - I have only seen glaciers when it was overcast - all three times to AK and was just going by what other photographers have told me.

I think we all have that same picture! :D

We leave on the Jewel Sept 8, 2012 and can hardly wait. 4th trip to Alaska and 1st on the Jewel. Do you feel the excursion on the smaller boat in the Tracy Arm is worth it? I have been real tempted to go on it this time.............hubby says he is staying on the ship np "boat" for him!

We leave on the Jewel Sept 8, 2012 and can hardly wait. 4th trip to Alaska and 1st on the Jewel. Do you feel the excursion on the smaller boat in the Tracy Arm is worth it? I have been real tempted to go on it this time.............hubby says he is staying on the ship np "boat" for him!

Absolutely! We got a quarter mile from the glacier, which makes you feel like you're right on top of it. The Jewel, even though the conditions were good, didn't get closer than a mile and never got up to North Sawyer. I wasn't sure it would be worth it, but it sure was for us.

I hope you have a starboard side balcony for that trip south from Skagway

Edited by sdmike

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and photos. I'm not cruising there, but the Baltics at the weekend but think I might do that one at some point!

Your photos are absolutely incredible and what a fantastic memory you can keep. Amazing eagle pics!!

Hope you enjoy your fish supper ;)

Nice review Mike. Now mine doesn't have to be as complete. For those interested, I was part of the party of 14 and had many similar experiences with my brother but we did go our seperate ways from time to time. I had different excursions in Ketchikan and Skagway so there will be more detailed information about those trips. I'll post a crosslink to my review once I'm done with it.

Nice review Mike. Now mine doesn't have to be as complete. For those interested, I was part of the party of 14 and had many similar experiences with my brother but we did go our seperate ways from time to time. I had different excursions in Ketchikan and Skagway so there will be more detailed information about those trips. I'll post a crosslink to my review once I'm done with it.

Hi bro! I sent a couple of DVDs with all the pictures to Dad. Box should get there by Friday

I've been to Alaska twice: the first time on the Pearl in an inside and the second time on the Sun in the OS. I liked Alaska the first time around (or else I wouldn't have booked the second time) but I fell in love with Alaska the second time because we did the same excursion that you did! I'll admit I was a little bit worried about all those "burgie-bits" clunking against the boat, but I got over that real quick! :eek:

We saw some type of goats on the glacier itself - we were told they were related to mountain goats. Lots of those little "sausages" you saw as well! BUT, during the ride to the fjord, we saw so many whales, it was unbelieveable! :D I hope you got to see some as well. We also went around the same time of year as you.

So glad you had a great time....the pictures bring back lots of fantastic memories! I'm honestly thinking of moving to Skagway....the hospital there always needs nurses!!;) And thanks for the great review!

Hi Mike, great review and pics. I noticed in some of the extra pics you provided links to that you were able to open the doors between the balconies. A much debated topic here on the cruise boards. I was wondering if they gave you much of a hassle. We are heading on the same cruise in a few weeks.

Hi Mike, great review and pics. I noticed in some of the extra pics you provided links to that you were able to open the doors between the balconies. A much debated topic here on the cruise boards. I was wondering if they gave you much of a hassle. We are heading on the same cruise in a few weeks.

we opened them between 3 mini-suites. It would have been 4 but one of our suites happened to be across that magic line in the carpet where there was a different steward and the balcony partition was solid. They never said anything to me, not sure if they did to you Mike. We did the same on the Epic and not a word was said.

Thanks for your great review. We are cruising Alaska on Royal Caribbean next spring. I saw where you had posted on the Alaska board about this post on the NCL board. Thats why I am on here. I have cruised NCL before and enjoyed it. Looking at your beautiful pictures makes me more excited about our cruise.

Hi, Mike. Thanks for a great read and incredible pictures. Like you, I bought my first SLR for an NCL cruise, (transatlantic to Greece). It was fun learning and I too managed to come out with some great pics, among the many. That's the great thing about digital, you don't have to get roll after roll developed and then mill through. Great job on the eagles and glacier shots. And thanks for including tge family puctures. It's great to put faces to the name.

Actually, your review was just what I needed. My California cousins, (I was born in Burbank), all left on the Pearl on the 5th to Alaska. Alas, it wasn't in the cards for me to go along this time. Was a little sad about that. Looking at your pictures made me imagine the fun they are all having right now.

Thanks again for sharing your trip experience here!

Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful,

Could not take the time to read word for word, but your shots where just outstanding.

Going back for a 4th time Aug 15 so this made it very exciting.

first trip 32 yrs ago no one hardly knew anything about Alaska for traveling and HAL owned just about everything. Have enjoyed the other 2 trips and now 10 yrs later going again. Feel good since we come from the East coast, and have those long flights.

Mike just the read the entire thread start to present between Olympics events. Great read and very informative.

Thanks for taking the time!

Your a great CCer along with others and why we love this site!:)

Edited by P&Lcruising

No hassle at all. I just didn't post those pictures since it's so hotly debated here. Having us all connect was very important to my elderly parents, so I let it ride even though it might have been in violation of recent policy changes (and I'm a "rule follower"). I thought someone on the staff would say something and close them, but nobody did.

another wonderful review sdmike!

just wanted to add an another endorsement for Capt Ken with Northern Lights in Ketchikan. we fished with him in 2010 and had a great time! while we didn't get near the number of fish you did - we were lucky enough to get king salmon - caught by my then 7 yr old no less!

thanks for refreshing all my alaska memories!

I was hoping for some kings or silvers, but if you can't get quality at least go for quantity, right? :) The pinks were plenty of fun for the kids, but I would have liked to have latched onto a 15-18lb fish myself :)

Hi, Mike. Thanks for a great read and incredible pictures. Like you, I bought my first SLR for an NCL cruise, (transatlantic to Greece). It was fun learning and I too managed to come out with some great pics, among the many. That's the great thing about digital, you don't have to get roll after roll developed and then mill through. Great job on the eagles and glacier shots. And thanks for including tge family puctures. It's great to put faces to the name.

Actually, your review was just what I needed. My California cousins, (I was born in Burbank), all left on the Pearl on the 5th to Alaska. Alas, it wasn't in the cards for me to go along this time. Was a little sad about that. Looking at your pictures made me imagine the fun they are all having right now.

Thanks again for sharing your trip experience here!

Thanks Donna. Sorry you didn't get to go, but I know you will some day. Hopefully your cousins have a wonderful time too.

I agree about the camera. We kept shooting and saying "FILM IS CHEAP!!" as we shot away. :) Thank heaven for large SD cards!

Showed OH your pics last night and he agreed with me, we HAVE to do this cruise next year. And so it's all thanks to you!!

He also said that you must send some pics to national geographic, one day they might pay YOU to visit these wonderful places ;)

While we have Bermuda booked on the Breakaway as next on our bucket list, I have already told my DH Alaska is first after that!

Great Pics! I am always just amazed at the SIZE of an eagle's claws--so powerful!