Review of Jewel to Alaska 7/28-8/4 - with pictures

sdmike

WE are leaving in 9 days, and seeing the pictures and your review made me very happy.

Now, Did you go through NCL for the Tracy Arm excursion? or on your own, and if you did so who did you go through?

Thank You

The Tracy Arm excursion is the only one we did through NCL. The fishing was on our own, and same with the float trip in Skagway (although NCL offers a hike/float excursion too)

Have a great time!

Hey k9sar,

Dad says 9lbs of smoked alaskan salmon showed up at his door today. Might want to swing over there and steal some from him before its gone :)

They are coming to dinner tonight... perhaps we are having salmon or maybe they are bringing a care package for me. :D

Because of the meet up with the ship the small boat tour of Tracy Arm must be done through NCL. That said, if you want to spend all of your Juneau port time there is Adventure Bound and perhaps one other co that leaves in the morning - warning you may not make it back before the Jewel leaves - usually between 1:30 and 2:00.

SD Mike - wonderful photos and review. Do you know if they smoked the salmon you caught or simply shipped an equal wt of fish they had in process.

Because of the meet up with the ship the small boat tour of Tracy Arm must be done through NCL. That said, if you want to spend all of your Juneau port time there is Adventure Bound and perhaps one other co that leaves in the morning - warning you may not make it back before the Jewel leaves - usually between 1:30 and 2:00.

SD Mike - wonderful photos and review. Do you know if they smoked the salmon you caught or simply shipped an equal wt of fish they had in process.

I asked. It's my fish :) They actually were cleaning them when I left. The tags on the packages had my customer number too. So yes, they keep track of them, which is what I wanted (eat what you catch)

Edited by sdmike

I wish we could have spent more time in your fine city. When we got back on Saturday we were thwarted by crowds, heat and aging knees. We'll be back though, and I'll let you know when so you can drive me up the hills so I don't have to walk!! :D

It's a deal! :D

You said something about breakfast in Moderno. Can you explain that?

I've loved reading your review and seeing your wonderful pictures!

Moderno has a small breakfast spread. Just buffet style stuff

Oh, teppanyaki did lunch at least on the second sea day (saw it)

Awesome review! I went to Alaska in May on a cruise that included Glacier Bay and the weather was perfect except in Victoria. :eek: I loved your photos and am considering another Alaska cruise, this time to Tracey Arm and probably on NCL.

Thanks for posting all this Mike. Have followed your posts before re your LA advice. Enjoyed reading your Alaska review as it reminds me of our Sun Alaska trip many years ago. Would love to do it again. Am jealous of your pictures. If you want to see the same with sunshine have a look at mine in my signature.

Pics of the ship are a nice appetiser for our upcoming Jade cruise out of Venice in September.

Thanks again

Tony

Thanks for posting all this Mike. Have followed your posts before re your LA advice. Enjoyed reading your Alaska review as it reminds me of our Sun Alaska trip many years ago. Would love to do it again. Am jealous of your pictures. If you want to see the same with sunshine have a look at mine in my signature.

Pics of the ship are a nice appetiser for our upcoming Jade cruise out of Venice in September.

Thanks again

Tony

So THAT'S what it looks like in the sun! Great pictures, Tony. Thanks for sharing. Some of the coolest shots are those from the plane. Guess you came down over Canada from the UK? I don't think I'll show the pictures to my wife. I told her "alaska is always this way, just enjoy it". :)

Edited by sdmike

So THAT'S what it looks like in the sun! Great pictures, Tony. Thanks for sharing. Some of the coolest shots are those from the plane. Guess you came down over Canada from the UK? I don't think I'll show the pictures to my wife. I told her "alaska is always this way, just enjoy it". :)

Thanks Mike. That was with my very first digital camera, an Olympus 2MP fixed focus compact that cost peanuts, just point and shoot with virtually no control. It just shows what you can do when the light is good and you don't have the capability to misuse sophisticated technology and make a mess of the picture.

Also, the subject matter ie the scenery is truly breathtaking and as you have said, the pictures don't do it justice, even on a cloudy day.

I liked the views from the plane too. Yes we did fly in over Canada and it was awesome to see the scale of true wilderness area.

Mind you, it was also impressive flying into LA over the mountains and desert areas there. Got some good pics of those too. No snow there though.:cool:

SDMike, I have no idea how I missed your Alaska review/documentary until now. I guess I was engrossed with watching the Olympics. In any case, it was a wonderful read, with good information, and gorgeous pictures. I am so glad you and your family had another great cruise experience.

Mike.....

What a great review and awesome pictures. It's been 12 years since my Alaskan cruise on NCL "Sky." I've always had the attitude of been there done that......but after reading and seeing your review. I think I'm ready to go back. Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with everyone.

OceanDreams