Review of Jewel to Alaska 7/28-8/4 - with pictures

sdmike

We were not only down the hall in the Marriott, but also only two doors down from you on the Jewel, in 11030. :)

Oh goodness. That's too funny! I wish I would have known! I probably saw you guys out on the balcony at some point. Feel free to post any additional information or corrections...since you were there too and all. :)

Edited by sdmike

I assume you know the glacier is Davidson Glacier and the beautiful lighthouse is Eldred Rock? I spent quite a bit of time after our first cruise trying to identify them.

I didn't know that! Thanks!

Mike: I think I'm gonna have to go back and actually read the review. I got too caught up with the pics to comprehend all the word stuff. I used to think I was a decent photog, years ago when I started working for newspapers. But you really have a good eye for color, shapes and perspectives. All kinds of stuff. And the eagle shots were just too much.

I actually went on this cruise May 26, but a lot of your pics made it seem like I was seeing these things for the first time.

I'm going to go back and check out all your photos for inspiration before my upcoming Mexico trip. Then, maybe, I'll finish the reading too. Thanks so much.

Jim

Mike: I think I'm gonna have to go back and actually read the review. I got too caught up with the pics to comprehend all the word stuff. I used to think I was a decent photog, years ago when I started working for newspapers. But you really have a good eye for color, shapes and perspectives. All kinds of stuff. And the eagle shots were just too much.

I actually went on this cruise May 26, but a lot of your pics made it seem like I was seeing these things for the first time.

Thank you for the kind words, Jim. I'm pretty new at this photography thing and bought a good DSLR (Canon T2i) and lenses just for this trip. I'm sure I took twice as many bad ones as good ones, but it's nice when something comes out great!

Thanks for the great review! I love detailed reviews with pics, and yours was perfect :) We did AK on the Sun in 2009, your review brought back good memories. And you took fabulous pics!! Thanks again!

Sorry about the crappy weather. We were on the Jewel the week prior to you and we didn't have a drop of rain the entire time we were in port.

That's what the locals told us. Shouldn't have used it all up. ;)

Edited by sdmike

LOVE LOVE LOVE your review. My DH and I are going on the Jewel for the same trip Sept. 1. One question, how cold was it exactly???? It looks like you and your family are wearing winter coats. (or are they just rain jackets?) We are so excited and your review and pictures are the BEST. Thanks

Top notch review and amazing pictures. Each photo looked like a post card.

I dont understand why people keep saying it was "crappy" weather. I would hope for weather like this. The thick fog, mist, and rain! Wow so beautiful and amazing. I am getting tired of carribean cruises and want to do something different. I cant think of nothing better than a polar opposite sunny and hot carribean cruise.

When I think of Alaska, I think of weather like Mike's pictures. If it was sunny or warm, I dont think it would be as nice. But that is just me. If it rained everyday on a carribean cruise, it would not be good. But fishing and rain in Alaska? Sign me up!

Edited by david_sobe

Excellent review, as always, Mike......and stunning pictures!!:)

Just one thing........you could well be in trouble with my DH now........it's down to you ....along with Don and others in your signature ...that we are on the Epic in 5 days!!!

You may now be responsible for our NEXT cruise!! ;)

Wow. Just "wow".

I bet I'm not the only one who is heading over to NCL.com to price out Alaska Cruises now. :D

Mike, yet again you have hit another home run with this thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all this with us. It's greatly appreciated.

Considering us saps here in the midwest have been in drought conditions and temperatures above 100 almost every day I seriously just wanted to jump right through my monitor into those pictures.

Bravo.

A couple of questions for anyone who knows: Is there a specific month that is considered the best to cruise Alaska? Reasons? Are the Jewel and Pearl pretty much identical? Thanks.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Hey Mike, I, like many others have enjoyed so many of your reviews and posts over the years and I looked forward to this one. Never having been to Alaska (on the bucket list for a few years from now), I was astounded at the beauty. Some of your pictures just took my breath away, you have an amazing gift with words and pictures.

Thanks so much for the time you took to post!!!

Bluejai

Great review, I'm glad you got pictures of the Jewel since I really didn't take any. First time on her I got tons of them, but the urgency was gone the 2nd time. Now I won't have to go find my old ones, to complete my review. After reading your review and looking at my pictures again, I have just booked an Alaska cruise for next summer - same time, same place.

I'm sorry that you had icky weather, maybe next time will be better.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your review. My DH and I are going on the Jewel for the same trip Sept. 1. One question, how cold was it exactly???? It looks like you and your family are wearing winter coats. (or are they just rain jackets?) We are so excited and your review and pictures are the BEST. Thanks

Thanks!

Those are rain jackets over sweatshirts over long sleeve shirts. When the sun is out it can be in the 70's. When its rainy, windy and cold it can be in the high 30's or low 40's. The key is layering! bring thin gloves too

Mike,

Thanks for the review and pics. Brought me right back to our cruise on the Pearl three years ago and many of them are almost exact copies of the ones I took! I also bought a DSLR (Canon XSi) specially for the trip!

Did you see the comedian, Dave Naster? I met him on our trip and we became friends. I just got an email from him saying he was on the Jewel.

Can't wait to get back to AK and do another cruise. Next time, I hope it'll be a land-cruise and plan to do the Deadliest Catch excursion as when we went, I was a fan, but now DW is too!

I bet I'm not the only one who is heading over to NCL.com to price out Alaska Cruises now. :D

Our cruise on the Jewel to Alaska for next year priced out considerably cheaper than on ANY other cruise line that we checked. That was the main reason why we booked it to start with. It was $700 cheaper than Carnival, $1100 cheaper than Royal, and $1900 cheaper than Celebrity or Disney for the same week, itinerary and type of stateroom.

We did save an additional $300 over the rates on NCL.com by going through an online TA (I've never been a big fan of using TA's. I like to book directly with the cruise line, but for this cruise, it was worth the added "hassle").

Edited by Tapi

Did you see the comedian, Dave Naster? I met him on our trip and we became friends. I just got an email from him saying he was on the Jewel.

Interesting. I don't remember any performer by that name. There was a magician/comedian that went by two initials...JP I think. I don't remember seeing another.

A couple of questions for anyone who knows: Is there a specific month that is considered the best to cruise Alaska? Reasons? Are the Jewel and Pearl pretty much identical? Thanks.

Good question about the timing. My guess is that it would be colder in May and June, with maybe more ice in places like Tracy Arm. That's only a guess though. I would think there are plenty of threads on "best time" on the Alaska boards.

The Jewel and Pearl are sister ships and almost identical. The Pearl has a rock climbing wall in back and a couple of bowling lanes on board, I didn't consider those to be important. The biggest difference would be the itinerary. The Pearl bypasses Tracy Arm and instead sails out to Glacier Bay. It was also a little more expensive when I booked.

I dont understand why people keep saying it was "crappy" weather. I would hope for weather like this. The thick fog, mist, and rain! Wow so beautiful and amazing. I am getting tired of carribean cruises and want to do something different. I cant think of nothing better than a polar opposite sunny and hot carribean cruise.

I'm sorta with you on that, David. I had no issue with the conditions. It rarely rained hard, and it didn't take away from our enjoyment at all. If it would have been sunny and warm I bet it would have sapped our energy more, like it did in Seattle where we just "threw in the towel" an went to the airport.

DSCN4930-vi.jpg

Mike - In looking at this photo, made me think about the Mini we booked!

On deck 11 - 11508 - which is the 5th one back from front - according to the deck plans. Are there crew cabins forward - or do I have a hull balcony? :confused: Do you know? THANKS!!

Good question about the timing. My guess is that it would be colder in May and June, with maybe more ice in places like Tracy Arm. That's only a guess though. I would think there are plenty of threads on "best time" on the Alaska boards.

The Jewel and Pearl are sister ships and almost identical. The Pearl has a rock climbing wall in back and a couple of bowling lanes on board, I didn't consider those to be important. The biggest difference would be the itinerary. The Pearl bypasses Tracy Arm and instead sails out to Glacier Bay. It was also a little more expensive when I booked.

We sailed on the second cruise of the year in May in 2009 and had 65 and sun every day! It's just luck up there.

As for Dave Naster, I think they do two-week stints, so it's possible he was there the week after you went.

So far we've only cruised Alaska early in the season. We've been twice in May (week before Memorial Day) and the other time we sailed on 6/6. Our best weather was in May of 2008, when it was sunny and warm almost every day. The other two trips have been cooler and a bit rainier -- but nothing to spoil our trip.

Historically it tends to be drier the first part of the summer (May - mid July) than it is the rest of the year. We prefer the earlier part of the season for a couple of reason. First, it tends to be cheaper in May than it is in July or August. Second, the close you cruise to the summer solstice, the more hours of daylight you'll have. I don't think I'd enjoy August or September as much since there wouldn't be as much daylight to view the beautiful scenery.

We are, however, going to have to break out of our usual time at least once so we can travel when the salmon are spawning so we can see the bears fishing. One of these years!

As far as the Jewel and the Pearl, we've enjoyed both ships. Standard rule of thumb for Alaska is that Glacier Bay (the Pearl) is the preferred itinerary -- but we also love Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier, and the Jewel is almost always cheaper because of that.