Review of Jewel to Alaska 7/28-8/4 - with pictures

sdmike

I have done the Alaskan cruise twice (2009 and 2010) both on The Pearl both the week before Memorial Day. 2009 it was very chilly and 2010 it was warm. I love the early season and Glacier Bay. Most of the Glacier has not "calfed" (broken off). The ice flows that broken off are really impressive. I pray for the Bridge Staff as they try to safely navigate through it. The other impressive sight that you only see in the early season, is when they glide down Elliott Bay before making the turn to dock is the sun coming up over Mt. Rainier to the south. Mt. Rainier will look like a huge strawberry ice cream sundae.

The only time I would avoid Seattle at all, is the last week of July and the first week of August- Seafair. Huge community celebration. The first week of August is Fleet Week-lots of extra Navy and Coast Guard.

On the way we passed a tall channel marker with a majestic eagle perched on the top, about 60 feet off the ground. Ken turned off the engines and whistled, loudly. Much to our surprise the eagle leapt off the tower and was flying right for us! Stunned I hurried to turn my camera on and started shooting as fast as I could. Ken threw some herring in the water, and the eagle deftly swooped in and picked it up. Amazing! We were only there for a couple of minutes, but the event might have been the highlight of the entire trip!!

IMG_2497-vi.jpg

IMG_2614-vi.jpg

IMG_2617-vi.jpg

Wow.....just wow.

Wow. Just "wow".

Mike, yet again you have hit another home run with this thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to share all this with us. It's greatly appreciated.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

We've done the Pearl twice to Glacier Bay, which we loved, but now seeing Mike's photos of Sawyer makes me want to book a Jewel Alaska cruise.

Mike, this post is going to be a classic. Anyone wanting to know about a Jewel Alaskan cruise needs to look no further. Kudos.

Too bad CC doesn't have a hall of fame for posts that are informative and far and above the rest.

Mike - In looking at this photo, made me think about the Mini we booked!

On deck 11 - 11508 - which is the 5th one back from front - according to the deck plans. Are there crew cabins forward - or do I have a hull balcony? :confused: Do you know? THANKS!!

I really don't know. Sorry! I DO know that there are cabins up there for crew along the main hallways, plus I can see in the deck plan that the passenger cabins start a fair distance back from the bridge on deck 11. My GUESS, and it's just a guess, that your room is the 4th "open" balcony that you see, just to the right of the non-balcony suite with the full windows

Thanks for posting all the pictures. WE were in 10066, a little bit down from you. It was like seeing it all over again ! We saw you boarding at the glacier. If we go a 3rd time to Alaska, I will sign up for that excursion for sure.:)

BTW, we (5 at the time, not our 7 onboard) grabbed a van cab and for $12 went to the Space Needle. Also went to the Museum and took the monorail to the shopping center and caught the light rail to the airport. Cheap cheap.

I really don't know. Sorry! I DO know that there are cabins up there for crew along the main hallways, plus I can see in the deck plan that the passenger cabins start a fair distance back from the bridge on deck 11. My GUESS, and it's just a guess, that your room is the 4th "open" balcony that you see, just to the right of the non-balcony suite with the full windows

Thanks, Mike! :) That's what I was thinking, too....seeing that there is a suite next to us. Looked like there was a larger balcony / windows there.

Awesome review and incredible photos of Alaska (and the ship!) We may go to Alaska some year in the not too distant future!

Temps in the 30 - 40 degrees is nothing to us. It would seem like one of those 'balmy' winter days around here! LOL

Thanks for posting all the pictures. WE were in 10066, a little bit down from you. It was like seeing it all over again ! We saw you boarding at the glacier. If we go a 3rd time to Alaska, I will sign up for that excursion for sure.:)

BTW, we (5 at the time, not our 7 onboard) grabbed a van cab and for $12 went to the Space Needle. Also went to the Museum and took the monorail to the shopping center and caught the light rail to the airport. Cheap cheap.

Good info on getting around! You planned better than we did for sure on that one.

When we boarded from the glacier trip, that guy wearing the bright red rain jacket at the back was me :) Did I look cold to you, or did I just FEEL cold? :)

Well, you sold me on the Epic with all of your great info! I've never thanked you but have all of your info saved for when we do book the Epic. Alaska is toooo cold for me but I always enjoy seeing great reviews with such wonderful pictures. Thanks for allowing us to put a face with the feet! Great looking family even tho you were all bundled up. Happy cruising!

The Glacier ice was beautiful, Was that river like turquoise blue river flowing down made of water and glacier ice that was melting?

Never seen anything so beautiful.

Thank you

Thanks! Glad you like the pictures. I'm not sure what picture exactly you're referring to, but the glacier ice is blue not because of the blue water, but because of the compression and density of the ice. As icebergs age they get white, and just clear water when they melt, so any color is something else.

it's always fun do have follow-ups, and this is a yummy one.

Remember this??

DSCN4922-vi.jpg

Well, I had 6 of those fish smoked and sent to my father back east. The remaining 14 fished turned into about 30lbs of smoked and frozen fresh salmon! Looky what I got today. :D

DSCN5640-vi.jpg

it's always fun do have follow-ups, and this is a yummy one.

Remember this??

DSCN4922-vi.jpg

Well, I had 6 of those fish smoked and sent to my father back east. The remaining 14 fished turned into about 30lbs of smoked and frozen fresh salmon! Looky what I got today. :D

DSCN5640-vi.jpg

Can I be your new bestie, Mike??????

Nice!!!

Thanks for a great review and photos. I have cruised Alaska twice and you have made me consider doing it again. Skagway is my favorite town in Alaska. Victoria is a great place also.

Thanks.

WOW..Derby, KS! I have family there! (Aunt & Uncle) Thought that place was so small only they lived there! LOL just kidding! ;)

Mike - glad you had a good time - as did we. I know that back in June the Jewel made it all the way to Sawyer Glacier - almost as far as our small boat.

BTW the blue tint on the glaciers is due to the overcast sky - on clear days they are white - the exception is during fresh calving when the ice is dark blue. Frankly I liked the fact that when we were there it was overcast so you got the wonderful blue.

Great photos BTW

Mike - glad you had a good time - as did we. I know that back in June the Jewel made it all the way to Sawyer Glacier - almost as far as our small boat.

BTW the blue tint on the glaciers is due to the overcast sky - on clear days they are white - the exception is during fresh calving when the ice is dark blue. Frankly I liked the fact that when we were there it was overcast so you got the wonderful blue.

Great photos BTW

Thanks!

I think the glacier is blue regardless of the weather, but agree that it can be much more vivid with an overcast sky. It really stands out when everything else is gray.

north-sawyer.jpg

Not my picture

another wonderful review sdmike!

just wanted to add an another endorsement for Capt Ken with Northern Lights in Ketchikan. we fished with him in 2010 and had a great time! while we didn't get near the number of fish you did - we were lucky enough to get king salmon - caught by my then 7 yr old no less!

thanks for refreshing all my alaska memories!