Global Entry

Benita

By the way, I've always been curious in which part of PSL you live -- I moved there in 1972 and lived there nearly 40 years before moving to Okeechobee about 3 years ago. We lived near Hidden River Estates off Floresta Dr. We were almost pioneers in 1972 -- if you can find a copy of Strelsa Schreiber's history of PSL, you'll find us mentioned and see a photo of me at age 32 :D

We are new timers (11 years here). East side of town off of Berkshire (near the Martin County Line).

Find the location ideal for my constant business travel -- since I have many international airports to chose from. Prefer MCO (as you can tell from my screen name). The staff in the MCO GE facility very friendly and it helps to be a METS fan. :)

And, for folks with Amex platinum, American Express pays for your Global Entry card, when you charge the fee to the card. http://exploreplatinum.americanexpress.com/Benefits/BenefitEnrollment?linknav=US:PlatinumBenefits:SeeBenefits

Some airline FF programs also pay for this. United will if you are 1K or higher.

By the way ALL -- there is another benefit to the GE program. Beside the quick immigration pass through, you also have a quick exit priority through customs. Not all airports have issues in the customs line but some do (like Dulles).

Hi LAexNY. We have sailed with you a few times. Remember chatting in Barristas so I think it was Marina last October - just returned from Riveria.

Thanks for the info. The porter did not jump any lines just got us to the right place!!

Hi,

Must have been another one - we weren't on Marina last October.

Love our Global Entry - great investment. Can also use them in the NEXUS and Sentri lanes at the borders in Canada and Mexico. I believe you can now use them for pre-clearance customs when flying from Canada back to the US.

Does anyone know if PHX (Phoenix, AZ) has plans to add Global Entry? I checked the list and it is not on it and we like to fly British Airways non-stop to/from London when heading to Europe. We got stuck too many times when traveling on any of the American carriers due to weather problems in the central or eastern part of the U.S. when we had to land at their hubs before our over-the-water flight.

Thanks for all the great tips -- I had heard of Global Entry but never got to the point of really checking it out until I read so many positive posts in this thread about it.

Billie

Does anyone know if PHX (Phoenix, AZ) has plans to add Global Entry? I checked the list and it is not on it and we like to fly British Airways non-stop to/from London when heading to Europe. We got stuck too many times when traveling on any of the American carriers due to weather problems in the central or eastern part of the U.S. when we had to land at their hubs before our over-the-water flight.

Thanks for all the great tips -- I had heard of Global Entry but never got to the point of really checking it out until I read so many positive posts in this thread about it.

Billie

Think you are looking at the wrong page (maps). Here are the locations:

http://www.globalentry.gov/locations.html

Phoenix is listed.

When I was first looking at the locations, JFK indicated that Global Entry was only available at the AA terminal, which we haven't used in a very long time. When I tried to go back to the list that indicated this (to see what was there for Newark), I couldn't find it at all.

That basic list shows "JFK" but not just where ... and there are lots of terminals there!

We are reluctant to apply at this point until we can see just where Global Entry is really available.

Does anyone have that first link that I can no longer find????

OTOH, we're thinking that maybe we should apply anyway because by the time we are accepted (assuming that we are!), there should be more locations available.

(Probably, now that I have asked for input, I will finally find the answer on my own ...)

Mura

Hi!

Global Entry is at Terminal 4. Park in the lot, not in the garage. We were in and out in 10 minutes. We made the appointment for the interview a week in advance. You select from the available times. Interviews are from 8 A.M. to 8 P.M.

Rhea

Thanks, RheaSue,

But what I'm concerned about is when we come home. Do they have the "readers" in each terminal?

I'm far less worried about the procedure in leaving from JFK than I am in returning TO it.

Then again, I guess if we want to keep our shoes and clothes on ...

I'm also not concerned about where we go for the interview since it appears we can go to lower Manhattan for that chore ... which is very simple for us since we are just across the river.

Mura

Thanks, RheaSue,

But what I'm concerned about is when we come home. Do they have the "readers" in each terminal?

I'm far less worried about the procedure in leaving from JFK than I am in returning TO it.

Then again, I guess if we want to keep our shoes and clothes on ...

I'm also not concerned about where we go for the interview since it appears we can go to lower Manhattan for that chore ... which is very simple for us since we are just across the river.

Mura

Here's the information from their website re: terminals at JFK:

181700.jpg

Benita, as you knoiw, we live over 100 miles from the nearest interview center. However, we usually fly internationally out of Miami.

Do you know if there is some way to schedule the interview so that it's concurrent with a scheduled flight, so we don't have to make a 240 mile round trip?

I scheduled my interview an hour or so before I checked in for a domestic flight at Newark Airport. My wife scheduled hers two hours before she checked in for a flight to Paris. Last year it took about a month to get approved, and the interviews at Newark were available starting with a few days after receiving approval.

When I was first looking at the locations, JFK indicated that Global Entry was only available at the AA terminal, which we haven't used in a very long time. When I tried to go back to the list that indicated this (to see what was there for Newark), I couldn't find it at all.

That basic list shows "JFK" but not just where ... and there are lots of terminals there!

We are reluctant to apply at this point until we can see just where Global Entry is really available.

Does anyone have that first link that I can no longer find????

OTOH, we're thinking that maybe we should apply anyway because by the time we are accepted (assuming that we are!), there should be more locations available.

(Probably, now that I have asked for input, I will finally find the answer on my own ...)

Mura

No worries all over JFK Terms 1,3, 4 7 and 8. Every international terminal has them. Newark has them in multiple terminals. I use the one in the UA terminal regularly.

Here's the link with videos --

http://globalentry.gov/terminalmaps.html

Note that there is a difference in the locations where there are Global Entry kiosks, as opposed to the more limited locations where TSA uses Global Entry cards to allow fast lane security at certain airports.

Billie

Yes, Phoenix has a GE office. We just applied and are waiting for our interview. GE office is located at Sky Harbor Airport, exactly where, I am not sure, but I am sure the address at Sky Harbor will be given to us when we are scheduled to interview.

I was told that the Global Entry program is forever, so it should appear when you renew your passport. At Ft. Lauderdale Airport the only airlines recognizing this program are Delta and American. Hopefully, more will follows.

Don't understand what it means "airlines recognizing the program."? If there is a GE kiosk (and there is at FLL), then the program should work as long as an airline utilizes the international arrivals areas and procedures, which I assume all would have to do for international flights. When you state "airlines recognizing the program" could you be more detailed as to what exactly you mean and how you were informed of this? Thanks, so much.

Don't understand what it means "airlines recognizing the program."? If there is a GE kiosk (and there is at FLL), then the program should work as long as an airline utilizes the international arrivals areas and procedures, which I assume all would have to do for international flights. When you state "airlines recognizing the program" could you be more detailed as to what exactly you mean and how you were informed of this? Thanks, so much.

The GE program has nothing to do with airlines per se.

However, some airlines (UA) will cover the cost of the application for their elites. Also, some airlines (AA,UA,DL) will allow their elites to participate in the TSA pre-approved Trusted Traveler program (as long as you have GE, Nexus, etc) to facilitate your screening process at departure.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/andersmeanders/entries/2012/02/08/tsa_expands_precheck_trusted_t.html

I hope that this helps.

PaulMCO and doubledobles -- Thanks for the PHX information! We will now investigate GE further.

doubledobles -- When you get your appointment with the actual site of the PHX office, would you please post again to let us know where it is in the airport and days/times for the interview? This office is still not listed on the GE site with their days of the week or times and we will have to drive down from Prescott for the interview.

Thanks again for the information.

Billie

The GE program has nothing to do with airlines per se.

However, some airlines (UA) will cover the cost of the application for their elites. Also, some airlines (AA,UA,DL) will allow their elites to participate in the TSA pre-approved Trusted Traveler program (as long as you have GE, Nexus, etc) to facilitate your screening process at departure.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/andersmeanders/entries/2012/02/08/tsa_expands_precheck_trusted_t.html

I hope that this helps.

PS What I should have added is that everyone can apply for GE (either pay for it or be reimbursed) that will allow you faster processing when ENTERING USA (at airports where such kiosks are availble).

Not everyone is eligible for TSA's Trusted Traveler program that allows you faster screening (no shoes off, no laptops out, hopefully shorter lines, etc) at airports when boarding for your flight.

These are two separate issues.

On our DL and UA Frequent flyer accounts we were asked for our GE identification numbers in preparation for the use at TSA screening widening to more than elite travelers. It will ulitmately be printed on our boarding passes. Unfortunately, I expect our airport (IND) is not high on their gradual expansion list - will have to wait and see. However, it could be helpful to us at ORD. We already use the kisok at customs but then have to go through full security when we travel over to domestic from international terminal. It would make some of those connections must easier not to have to "undress" again after a long jounrey!

To participate in the TSA's Trusted Traveler program you need to have received Global Entry status. If your airline participates in the TSA's Trusted Traveler program and you filled out you airline profile information, stating your GE information then you should be eligible.

The airline will put a scan bar code on your boarding pass. When you get to the TSA line, there should be a separate TSA agent who will scan you boarding pass to determine if you can utilize the faster TSA process.

Who gets selected is totally done by random selection. On my last trip I got the go ahead but my wife did not, so we both went through the normal TSA process. Other times neither of us has been selected and sometimes both of us. Random Selection.

At some airports, the TSA agent after checking your boarding pass and finding you not eligible will direct you to the front of the line for normal TSA check out but not always.

Archived