Faster to the Fun program announced today

GuitarPlayer

I don't know why people seem to want to believe CCL is always cheaper.

I just priced out a transatlantic on Epic for 2013 and it was so cheap and I am sick I can't book it because my dh can't get that many days off from work. (a cabin on deck 14 with extra large balcony for $85 pp/pd! :eek:)

I am seriously upset I can't take advantage of that...

Is that the April TA? - It was so cheap I had to book it!

I have been looking at NCL oceanview for a cruise in Jan or Feb. and every one I look at is way over priced compared to Carnival oceanview. And the fact that the cabins are so small compared to Carnival is seriously making us think again about looking elsewhere. Our family of 4 needs Carnival's square footage! We also prefer 4 ports on a 7 day cruise, which seems to be few on NCL unless we want to go Western Caribbean again.

You may feel less resentful if you read what was written, instead of reacting to what you inferred.

My comments directed at those Platinum/Diamond cruisers who are upset were quite obvious.

Exactly......I AM Diamond......and you lumped ALL Platinum/Diamond cruisers who were upset in the "know it all" category....

It didn't say anything about early tenders or early debarkation ......it said early embarkation and early luggage delivery and access to VIP at Guest Services for $50

actually as a Diamond guest....... it irks me that they would make these perks available to anyone who PAYS........when I had to sail over 200 days to get them

Barb

I agree!!! It wont be a benifit for the platinum/ diamond anymore. Eventually everyone will be paying & there will end up being lines to wait in for everyone.

I don't know why people seem to want to believe CCL is always cheaper.

I just priced out a transatlantic on Epic for 2013 and it was so cheap and I am sick I can't book it because my dh can't get that many days off from work. (a cabin on deck 14 with extra large balcony for $85 pp/pd! :eek:)

I am seriously upset I can't take advantage of that...

In the mean time I am sailing in Feb for about $114 pp/pd in a balcony cabin on another NCL ship which is less than what I have paid on my last few CCL cruises.

My upcoming NCL is a bit pricey, but it's a suite so that's expected...that ran about $228 pp/pd but for what you get when booking a suite on NCL, I will get more than what I paid for, for sure. Plus, it's Bermuda, which is always a bit pricey to start with....oh and I now have $900 OBC for that one, so that certainly offsets the cruise cost a bit ;)

Im new to the NCL site but I cant find that Epic cruise for so cheap can you help me :)

So tell me WHY you think you should get VIP privileges if you can never cruise 200 days.....

I couldn't afford it either in a year or two. It took me YEARS to achieve the status that I am.......and that is my point....... why should you get to throw down $25.00 pp to get all the perks that it took me years to qualify for?

Money should NOT be able to buy loyalty perks.........

I laugh a little at the fact people get so angry over "free" perks.

Yes companies care about their customers but they care about money more. If they have an option to have more money hit their bottom line they will do it.

I have no loyalty to any company or brand. IMO its ridiculous. People who chose to sail carnival one more time to hit platinum and get free laundry. :rolleyes: You spent thousands of dollars to vacation and are worried about $20-30 in free laundry?

Companies value your loyalty only as long as it benefits them. But will always screw you over for more money. And lets be realistic, how many people are going to stop cruising carnival over this? Hardly any I would imagine so its win win for them.

They are a business not a charity. And that business is to make money.

PT Barnum had it right, "There is a sucker born every minute." Those of you who cruise only (or the majority of the time) on Carnival for the promise of perks in the future are a sucker. If you enjoy a cruiseline then buy a cabin and enjoy it. Perks are incidental. I especially love the posters who tell us how hard they worked for these perks. Are you shoveling coal on your cruise?

I'm sure this thread and others on the new program will go on forever just like when the VIFP program was started. Lots of gnashing of teeth on that one.

Who's up for another smoking thread?

Exactly. I don't spend thousands on a cruise so I can get some free stuff. As far as all the comments on better pricing...I'm sure there is but on a whole Carnival is less expensive. Everytime I've priced out cruises, Carnival has still come up best bang for my buck/night.

I booked a suite for my next cruise. I did not do so to get VIP boarding. I did so to get the cabin/balcony I wanted. I'm not complaining that there aren't more perks for suites, perks are secondary...the experience is what I'm after. Do I think suites should get more? Absolutely but I still booked it didn't I.

Let's put this into perspective. Was it so horrible cruising before you hit Platinum? I'm just wondering as some of you are making it out to be so horrible if you were to lose the perks (which btw it has been stated you are NOT and are actually gaining a few with this new program). Is it worth switching cruiselines for? You stayed for 10 cruises before you were platinum so unless you really are an idiot and cruised just so you could get some free laundry, vip boarding and a pretty card I don't get it.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Im new to the NCL site but I cant find that Epic cruise for so cheap can you help me :)

Wish we could share websites on here, but we are not allowed. Just do online research and compare. Some cruise sites compare prices for you from different TAs

You may feel less resentful if you read what was written, instead of reacting to what you inferred.

My comments directed at those Platinum/Diamond cruisers who are upset were quite obvious.

Exactly......I AM Diamond......and you lumped ALL Platinum/Diamond cruisers who were upset in the "know it all" category....

I do hope that you are joking - again, my comments directed at those who were upset we're completely separate from those regarding the "know-it-alls" (who may or may not be Diamond/Platinum).

Clearly, you are just reading what you want in to what is posted. Continue reading and I'm sure you'll find lots more comments from other posters to be offended by.

To me, this is no different than paying to upgrade to a first class ticket on a plane when others used earned miles. Would I pay an extra 50 bucks?? I don't know. What I do know, is that if I did pay, I still wouldn't see the inside of a VIP lounge until I was Diamond or Platinum because I wouldn't BE Diamond or Platinum. There are still things that I would not be privy to (laundry service, free gifts, upgrades, etc.) and I dont' see what the big deal is about someone being let on the ship early or getting to their room earlier if they want to pay for a "first class" ticket.

Totally get the point, but they aren't doubling anything. When we booked, there were 15 slots available. 1 slot counts for your entire room, so it could be 4 people per room or just 1...60 people total or 15. Bottom line is they aren't opening this up to half the ship and it isn't that big of a difference in terms of people in "your" line.

The benefits are diluted. Would you care if they overnight, doubled the amount of dollars out on the market and devalued the dollar by 50%? Hey, they didn't take anything away from you, you are still getting the same of dollars each week in your paycheck, only problem is that everything now costs double!

Early tendering? Yup, you still get it, only you might have to wait behind a lot of people who bought the "ftf" package so instead of being on the first tender, maybe second or third or... who knows?

VIP boarding is not very VIP when you are massed with hundreds of other VIP's. I was on Princess last month, a cruise line known for cruiser loyalty and probably a third of the ship was plat and above and it took a while to get on board.

PT Barnum had it right, "There is a sucker born every minute." Those of you who cruise only (or the majority of the time) on Carnival for the promise of perks in the future are a sucker. If you enjoy a cruiseline then buy a cabin and enjoy it. Perks are incidental. I especially love the posters who tell us how hard they worked for these perks. Are you shoveling coal on your cruise?

I'm sure this thread and others on the new program will go on forever just like when the VIFP program was started. Lots of gnashing of teeth on that one.

Lol!!!!! Love it.

[/color]

Not to be nosy, but how did you get so much OBC? As I mentioned in an earlier post, DW and I are looking at Epic, and curious about OBC.

Thanks to these boards, and someone posting the information, I got $150 OBC back prior to NCL changing their latitudes system, when I went from Bronze to Silver. My DH and I each went up that level so we each were awarded $150 OBC to be used on two different sailings. I applied one to this cruise and one to my feb cruise.

(Since then, that perk has been eliminated however, their new loyalty system is pretty nice even after all the changes they made)

I got $300 OBC for booking the suite which was an NCL promotion back then

I got $100 OBC for the very recent Home Shopping Network promotion that NCL is having.

I got $25 from NCL in thanks for a letter I worte to them (I guess it's kinda like the old 45 day letter CCL used to have, only they give you 2 options. One for a fruit basket and bottle of wine, the other a $25 OBC. I took the OBC)

The rest was OBC from the TA....who back when I booked this cruise was having their own promotion in which they were giving more OBC than usual.

Timing is everything.

You took the words right out of my head! I cruise because I like to cruise. If I wanted to get on the plane first, I would pay for that privilege too. The key is that I would PAY for it! One day I too will be a platinum cruiser, and all the 'perks' will then be FREE for me! It's not like they are allowing hundreds of people to do it. It's dependent on how many diamond and platinum cruisers are on the ship. They are a business, therefore any way to bring in more revenue with minimal expense is a huge plus for them and just makes sense!

Let's put this into perspective. Was it so horrible cruising before you hit Platinum? I'm just wondering as some of you are making it out to be so horrible if you were to lose the perks (which btw it has been stated you are NOT and are actually gaining a few with this new program). Is it worth switching cruiselines for? You stayed for 10 cruises before you were platinum so unless you really are an idiot and cruised just so you could get some free laundry, vip boarding and a pretty card I don't get it.

Like! :D

Assume you are talking dining times? As per Mr. Heald himself,

"Diamond and Platinum VIFP Club members will still receive priority over Faster to the Fun guests for dining requests. This is true both in advance of the sailing as well as once on board. In the case of on board requests, the maître d’ would first clear all Diamond member requests, then all Platinum member requests and then clear Faster to the Fun requests."

Yes they did, they removed quaranteed times for Platinum guests so now even Platinum pax have to pay to be certain they receive the time they want.

You took the words right out of my head! I cruise because I like to cruise. If I wanted to get on the plane first, I would pay for that privilege too. The key is that I would PAY for it! One day I too will be a platinum cruiser, and all the 'perks' will then be FREE for me! It's not like they are allowing hundreds of people to do it. It's dependent on how many diamond and platinum cruisers are on the ship. They are a business, therefore any way to bring in more revenue with minimal expense is a huge plus for them and just makes sense!

what happens when one day you are platinum and all the "perks" were expecting for free go away! Or change and first time cruisers can pay to tender before you or walk to the front of the line at the pursers desk.You will think differently

Is that the April TA? - It was so cheap I had to book it!

No, Oct 2013 From Barcelona to Miami.

I have been looking at NCL oceanview for a cruise in Jan or Feb. and every one I look at is way over priced compared to Carnival oceanview. And the fact that the cabins are so small compared to Carnival is seriously making us think again about looking elsewhere. Our family of 4 needs Carnival's square footage! We also prefer 4 ports on a 7 day cruise, which seems to be few on NCL unless we want to go Western Caribbean again.

In all honesty, I wouldn't put 4 people in a regular CCL cabin either so the NCL cabins would NEVER work for me with 4 people unless it was a family suite. Did you price one out? Their 3rd and 4th passenger rates are really good.

Im new to the NCL site

but I cant find that Epic cruise for so cheap can you help me :)

Oct 2013 out opf Barcelona ;) Just search on line cruise agencies.

I think I found it 11 days for $799 for a balcony

That's the one! Check out NCL's loyalty program - way better than Carnival. It seems the Epic TA in 2012 was only about 50% capacity - can you imagine that huge ship at half full but with full crew??? No lines and lots of time to explore all that she offers. We are very excited!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Assume you are talking dining times? As per Mr. Heald himself,

"Diamond and Platinum VIFP Club members will still receive priority over Faster to the Fun guests for dining requests. This is true both in advance of the sailing as well as once on board. In the case of on board requests, the maître d’ would first clear all Diamond member requests, then all Platinum member requests and then clear Faster to the Fun requests."

Mr. Heald can say whatever he wants. But if you are first in line to see the Maitre D' with cash in hand, you will get whatever table you want -- been there and done that every single time!

Exactly. I don't spend thousands on a cruise so I can get some free stuff. As far as all the comments on better pricing...I'm sure there is but on a whole Carnival is less expensive. Everytime I've priced out cruises, Carnival has still come up best bang for my buck/night.

I booked a suite for my next cruise. I did not do so to get VIP boarding. I did so to get the cabin/balcony I wanted. I'm not complaining that there aren't more perks for suites, perks are secondary...the experience is what I'm after. Do I think suites should get more? Absolutely but I still booked it didn't I.

What you said is all true...for you.

However, if you were one of the many people who sailed CCL for years, stuck with them because you enjoyed your cruises PLUS you were anticipating reaching that platinum level because of 1) the perks and 2) you felt like you wer being loyal and they promised reward for your loyalty and then suddenly things changed...LOTS of things changed and you didn't get what you were promised, you might be a little miffed.

Maybe you don't get it...but that doesn't mean what these people feel is wrong. If you are happy with CCL, their discontent should mean nothing to you. You seem seriously and personally offended by it.

There is just as much anger over this on the facebook page. This doesn't look to be a good decision by Carnival.

That's the one! Check out NCL's loyalty program - way better than Carnival. It seems the Epic TA in 2012 was only about 50% capacity - can you imagine that huge ship at half full but with full crew??? No lines and lots of time to explore all that she offers. We are very excited!

For sure cheap but too many sea days for us .Id be broke gambling in the first few days:)

We have already decided to give NCL a whirl just because we gamble and NCL seems better for us.We love Carnival but time to try something different

Totally get the point, but they aren't doubling anything. When we booked, there were 15 slots available. 1 slot counts for your entire room, so it could be 4 people per room or just 1...60 people total or 15. Bottom line is they aren't opening this up to half the ship and it isn't that big of a difference in terms of people in "your" line.

My concern is not the "number" as much as it is the confusion it will create.

Let's be honest, those of us who have been around Carnival a long time know....

they can mess up toast.

They do not properly train their Carnival Reps .....

Except for Miami, other terminals are not set up for "separate lines" (Charleston does not even have a VIP room) .....

Time will be wasted with folks being sent to the wrong places like VIP (where their cards will not be) ....

OR worse, arguments between newbies who "paid to be VIP" when the reps try to send them to a F2F line....

with people line up behind them .... waiting!!!

I mean...the OLD Loyalty Program has been around for 6 years....and they still can not find our cards many times....we have to board the ship with a sticker....because we are Milestone (now Diamond)....

Carnival has proven...they just do not do "outside the box" well......

Archived