Unhappy With Princess Booking Policies

travellady

I booked a Cat F obstructed OV for Sapphire Princess Alaska 6/26 cruise. Today I notice Cat BB is going for 400.00 more per person so wanted to upgrade. I was told no, I couldn't do this without cancelling my current booking and rebooking the Cat BB to a the tune of a 1297.00 penalty. By all means, it isn't like they are giving me something for free, I was planning on giving them 800.00 more. There are many empty balconies on the ship and I can't have one and am even willing to pay for it?

For what reasons do they believe these policies are customer oriented? I've sailed a number of cruiselines and honestly enjoy each of them for a variety of reasons. I am not hooked on Princess, they happen to have a convenient sailing out of Seattle and I live only 15 miles from the port. This really causes me to rethink continued bookings on Princess as I haven't run into this issue with either Carnival or Royal Carribean. And I've heard Holland America handles this type of upgrade without issue as well.

I'm surprised that Princess didn't take care of this for you. I had a similar situation two years ago when we were booked on the Coral for Alaska. We were booked through an agency, when I saw that our same category had gone "on sale" with Travelocity. I called our agency, they spoke with Princess and matched the price. I think you may want to try again, only go a little higher up that the customer service agent that receives your call. Good Luck!

Just guessing but I think it was probably because it is after final payment and the prices you see are those for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY! This is not something new to Princess but has been in effect for a very long time. Sorry you weren't aware of this.

I got an email from Crucon today offering a Princess "FLASH" Promo on this and other Alaska cruises ( It appears their Alaska cruises are not filling very well - perhaps they have too many ships over there) . The promo ends on May 18 and is for new bookings only.

If you make enough calls to Princess and your TA you might be able to do something.

Ron

FWIW same thing happened to us last year, We had booked and were happy with the deal then got a flyer trough the mail offering the same but way cheaper £200?). We tried to get Princess UK to go some way to make up the difference but no way. Thats life I'm afraid but it cost nothing to ask.

We are on Caribbean Princess b2b Aug 6 so we obviously were not too disgruntled!

Yes, i was told this was for new bookings only. What I've learned is if I want to sail Princess, wait until after final payment only and then book. I know it means I risk not getting the cabin I want, nor even on the ship, but the trend I'm seeing for both my Diamond Princess Mexican Riviera cruise this past Feb. and now my Princess Sapphire Alaska cruise, is there are still many cabins available after final booking and the prices do go down.

At least with the Diamond Princess, when I did book it was after final payment as we didn't know if we could go until January. We did get a great cabin for a great price. I heard from so many that Alaska sailings book quickly and often fill up that I booked before final payment. It was a mistake. The category I do have has dropped 150.00 per person, and I can't even upgrade and pay an additional 400.00 to get a balcony. Yes, I wish I had known that going in. Oh well, live and learn.

Heads in the beds, that's what it's all about. Cabins are just a commodity to the cruise line. Every one of them that is empty at the time the ship sails is lost revenue to them. Same as on a plane, train, bus, ferry, whatever. They've got to fill those cabins, so if that particular cruise isn't selling well, they're going to lower the price to make it more attractive to the consumer. Simple supply and demand.

A long time ago, I worked the front desk at a Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge. The first day on the job, the Hotel Manager told me that, when someone walked through the door asking about a room, it was my job not to let them walk out without selling them one, especially in off season. He told me that our cost to make up a room each night was $19 (obviously, a long time ago!). He said that anything I got above that for the room was profit. I think our "rack rate" then was $49 in off season and $99 in season. I did exactly what he directed me to do and found every reason under the sun to increase our occupancy percentage. Different business, but the same rules apply.

It seems like they should just allow you to pay the upgrade difference and book the balcony cabin, but that's not really going to help them accomplish their goal---sell another cabin. Balcony cabins for cheap, real cheap, will get the attention of consumers. They know that. Allowing existing passengers to pay a small sum to upgrade to those primo balcony cabins defeats their purpose of filling every cabin on the ship.

Some may say it's unfair. "I have had my reservation now for 1 year, 9 months, 6 months, etc. Why should these newbies get the deal and not me just because I had the sense to book early? I should be offered the deal being a loyal customer." However, the response is, of course, that we who book early had the pick of the cabins. We chose what we wanted and probably got a reasonably good deal on the price. We could have bailed out before final payment, but we were committed to the cruise. However, after the final payment date, all bets are off. They have a duty to their stockholders to maximize revenue and profits by any means necessary. That's what they're doing.

We may not think of it like a business sometimes since their business is our vacation, but make no mistake about it. It's all about the dollars, same as it ever was, same as it will ever be.

No lecture intended, just a bit of a long-winded explanation. Try to forget about it and have a great cruise anyway.

The Monk

Bottom line is I absolutely love Princess cruises - the ship experience itself from a service perspecitve is great, food is wonderful, I thoroughly enjoy Anytime Dining.

But dealing with Princess the Corporation is another story. As I said in my prior post, I've now learned to wait until the last minute to book Princess cruises. I'm not even fussy about stateroom location so if only the "bad" ones are left, so be it. For this Alaska cruise we decided to splurge a little and go for a balcony but because I originally booked an outside obstructed, I've been told I can't - unless I pay way more than what I would have originally paid due to the fact I've been told I have to cancel this booking to rebook the balcony.

As`I said - you can give it a try - it worked for me in 2003 on our Baltic cruise - 3 days after final payment on an inside they were offering balconies at the same price as our inside - after several calls to Princess and my TA they did upgrade usn to a balcony at no increase.

Ron

Most of the cruises we book are well selling ships and this has only happened to us on one occasion. I admit it is very frustrating to think you are getting the best price by booking a year or more in advance just to find out that you paid a lot more than someone booking last minute.

The only reason we now book in advance as we have been getting much picker about our cabin category and location (mini suite and above) and those usually sell out much faster. BUT...............if we weren't wanting that mini or full suite, you bet cha that we wouldn't even consider booking in advance but would wait until those 'flash' pormotions come out after final payment. Best way to do it is to choose a few different ships that would work and then see which has the best last minute price. Of coarse this will only work if your schedule is flexible.

Yes, that magic word, Flexibility. Not having to go in the Summer during my son's Summer vacation. Going any time I want, anywhere I want, at the drop of a hat, with all the money that I could ever need or want.:D Oh, why did I have to wake up from that dream. :(

...as someone with no Princess cruises under my belt, but 2 booked. I've been watching cruises prices regularly, at least weekly, but sometimes daily for about 6+ years (and yes, I've mainly followed RCI prices, but have cataloged others too--along with airfares, my hubby thinks its anal). My sense is, if you don't plan on travelling in prime time, i.e., vacation weeks or summer time (which we never travel), and you don't normally book suites or balcony cabins, Princess' prices seem to favor late bookings for OV and inside cabins. The prices Princess gives to late bookers seems astounding to me! I've seen inside cabins at 80% off!!! But then again, the 1st cruise I've choosen to sail on Princess, the 10/23/05 trip to Asia had inside cabins going for over $500pp more than I paid for a balcony with early booking. I booked early because there was no history on the cruise--Princess had skipped it the prior year because of SARS. I think the fact that the only other ship in the area at the time, Radisson, was over 3X as much, was a factor in my decision. Overall, I'd say, if you must travel in prime time, and want a balcony or above, book early. Otherwise, it doesn't pay to book early on Princess--unless it is an exotic cruise with little competition from the mass market lines.

I guess I'm really confused as to what the problem is here ?

You have a booking, it is now after final payment right ? And you expect to be able to upgrade at current prices ? No cruise line that I know of does this, this is the whole reason that "final payment" exists, so they can lock in cabins and know if they should discount the remaining cabins.

If you truely don't care about what cabin or what ship you are on then by all means wait it out till 30-60 days before the cruise.

I myself am very picky I know what ship I want and usually what cabin :) I don't care if I don't end up with the "rock bottom" faire. The cruise line has every right to do its pricing this way. It is really in our own best interest that they do this.

Your upgrade can be done but it will take your agent calling someone higher up in customer service. We had the same situation - different Princess ship / itinerary. Prices for all cabin categories came down. I knew Princess does not change pricing or do anything once final payment is made. However, we were booked in a cat. FF obstructed view and wanted to upgrade a balcony that would cost us $180 MORE. TA called and Princess said no. She called back and got someone else in customer service. We were in a cat. FF outside obstructed and they did upgrade us to a cat. BE balcony guarantee for $200. I figured the extra $20 was Princess' or the TA "service fee". Higher balcony categories were available for the same price but that's what we got. You have to make certain your TA is willing to go to bat for you. You may have to offer them some extra commission because after final payment all the money paperwork has be done.

After final payment, I make it a point not to do any further price checking, e-mails are deleted and mail flyers thrown away. I don't want to know, If I could have gotten my cruise cheaper.

Carol

If nothing else works, you might try going to the Purser's Desk as soon as you get on the ship. We have seen "Ship full, no cabins available" signs, but if the ship ISN'T full, maybe you can upgrade at that time. It would be worth a shot if you really do want to upgrade.

We usually book a year ahead just to get the cabin we want.......................and like the previous poster, just don't LOOK after the final payment! :D

Travellady - I agree with everything you say---It's happened to me and Princess would NOT BUDGE! I have a terrific TA and she says she CAN DO NOTHONG after Final Payment!

I have written numerous letters - and speak my "piece" to the Purser once I get onboard! They are sympathetic and say they will report the comments. -

Maybe if we all keep at it - Princess will change the policy of "new Bookings" only for the last minute pricing and UPGRADE those who book earliest!

We usually book Mini-suites and they are almost never available on the "sellout" after final payment -

We try to book well in advance and that usually gets us a reasonable rate on the Minis- When the ship is selling well - the price on the premium cabins go UP!

There are always Insides left and Princess will get whatever they can for them - heard as little as $30 a day on my Sapphire Cruise (just finished)

What "galls" me MOST -is some are UPGRADED to balconies, even at those low prices - that is what is unfair - the upgrades should go to those who book earliest I think. GotToCruise (aka Renee

The owner of the Travel Agency I've booked with has talked to Princess and still no go. He stated they are pretty inflexible and agrees they are not customer friendly. At this point, I'll check again shortly before sailing to see if any balcony is still open and try one more time. I'll also try to upgrade at the pier if possible. But, I won't let this sour my actual trip, I'm really looking forward to it but as stated earlier, they are not the only cruiseline I enjoy.

I went ahead and cancelled my April 2006 Cariribean Princess booking and will probably book Royal's Mariner instead. I'm not thrilled with their new pricing policies either but at the same time, they do honor price changes even after final booking.

Hi!

That happened to us once also!! People were paying $400 less for a balcony than we did! But I had no complaints on the next cruise we took when we got a deal for almost half price!! I decided "it all works out in the wash"!

We absolutely love Princess and we figure they've got to do what they've got to do. Sometimes it will work to our benefit, sometimes not, but either way it is going to be the best vacation we could get anywhere on the face of the earth no matter what we've paid!! :D

Hi Renee, I couldn't agree more. Upgrades should go to those who book first and those with the most cruises with Princess. I don't have that many YET, but I know you do and loyalty should count for something. It makes me crazy when I hear that a first time cruiser has been upgraded from a inside to a suite. OK, that may be a little exagerated:o. But I have seen some terrific upgrades for first timers.

We are set to sail in late June, we booked a AC Mini. When I check there are lots of suite cabins left on this cruise. If we are not upgraded prior to the date of sailing, do you guys know if you can upgrade at check in at the pier, or even on board at the pursers desk? We have cruised Princess before but the ship has always been full so this was never a issue before. We cruise RCI a lot and you can upgrade at check in. Any suggestions?

We are set to sail in late June, we booked a AC Mini. When I check there are lots of suite cabins left on this cruise. If we are not upgraded prior to the date of sailing, do you guys know if you can upgrade at check in at the pier, or even on board at the pursers desk? We have cruised Princess before but the ship has always been full so this was never a issue before. We cruise RCI a lot and you can upgrade at check in. Any suggestions?

Normally, Princess will do complimentary upgrades up until sailing by the luck of the computer draw. It won't hurt to ask when boarding, but I would definitely not count on it. I have yet to sail on a ship where all of the full suites were not full of either paid passengers or passengers that were upgraded to the full suites just a few days prior.

Princess does not normally do pier upgrades like RCI does.

I agree with WCAB above.

Book your cruise, with what you think is the best price - pay your money, and forget about what anyone else paid.

Doesn't matter if ship, plane, train, or bus, someone else always paid more or less than you. That is the way our economy works.

Archived