Premium Beverage Package

maximus217

In addition to the fact that it is WRONG, there have been multiple posts here that Celebrity staff are trained to watch for this. Some posters have been embarrassed when a staffer made a point of calling them on it in front of other people they were sitting with. One person even said that he merely offered a sip to his wife. and the drink was promptly confiscated with a warning. Personally, I wouldn't try it.

Wow! I could not believe they would confiscate the drink if the only thing the other person was doing was to taste the drink.

I understand that the package was per person, but come on! To take a sip is not even acceptable. I think that is completely preposterous.

How many times you go to a bar and your friend ask you to taste the drink.

I am sorry but I am completely shocked to hear this. We are going to our first cruise this week, and I am not sure if I will enjoy it.

I'll tell you how diligent the staff is to be on the look-out for sharing. Let me share an experience from our Silhouette cruise this past Spring.

DH and I had the Premium Alcohol Package. My Mom was traveling with us and she had one of the non-alcoholic packages. She ordered and paid for a 20 year martini in the martini bar most nights, as she discovered she really enjoyed that particular cocktail. Of course, since it wasn't included in her non-alcohol package, she paid for it.

One evening I decided to order it since it looked so pretty. I took one sip and didn't care for it. When the cocktail waitress returned, I told her I didn't care for it, and I'd like to order a glass of pinot grigio. She happily took my order and bent over to pick up the still full glass martini (the one I took one sip and didn't like). Without even thinking, I said, "oh, that's okay, you can just leave it here. My Mom likes it and she'll drink it." I totally was not trying to scam the system and get my Mom a free drink (truth is, she already had one and probably didn't need another one, but I just hate to waste stuff!!!LOL). The waitress said, in no uncertain terms, "Madam, sharing is not allowed." I apologized profusely and told her it didn't even occur to me that I was trying to share, but I'm not sure she actually believed me.

I'm not faulting her...she was simply doing her job. I just mention this to remind people that sharing is definitely not allowed. Although, as I pointed out in an earlier post, I don't believe the OP was trying to cheat, but simply asking a question, so they shouldn't be villified for that.

Jo-Ann

I had a different experience. I had a drink at the Martini bar and I didn't like it and asked for something different. My friend was with me and he wasn't drinking that night. The bartender just said does your friend want it, as I'm just going to throw it away. He did not have the alcohol package and I did. So it probably would come down to the server, since your Mom already had one that was paid for, if it was from the same server she should have known that you were not intentially sharing.

Wow! I could not believe they would confiscate the drink if the only thing the other person was doing was to taste the drink.

I understand that the package was per person, but come on! To take a sip is not even acceptable. I think that is completely preposterous.

How many times you go to a bar and your friend ask you to taste the drink.

I am sorry but I am completely shocked to hear this. We are going to our first cruise this week, and I am not sure if I will enjoy it.

If sharing your drinks really is a big issue then either both of you buy a package or just buy the drink you want to share. You will enjoy the cruise as long as you don't let the little things bug you.:D

I don't think "Defraud" is the correct term here. How about "Deprive the cruiseline of expected per-passenger revenue that is derived from 1000% markup on beverages."
:D:D Funee but 2 wrongs don't make a right even though I'm not sure your markup math is wrong.

Please, I hope newcomers to Celebrity won't be put off by this discussion. We have always found Celebrity staffers to be courteous, pleasant and welcoming. But it should be obvious to us all that the purpose of the drink packages is to provide unlimited beverages to 1 cruiser per package, NOT to order extra drinks for others. You may or may not be chastized if someone just takes a "sip" , or it may depend how big that "sip" is! And I imagine you could get away with getting a drink and taking it to someone out of sight. But you shouldn't expect to be able to order a drink, put it in front of the person next to you and watch them drink the whole thing. As long as you don't do that, you won't have any problems. I was simply pointing out that it is possible to be stopped from getting drinks for others. Whether it is right or wrong is a separate discussion. I know that I personally would be embarrassed, but some may want to give it a try and see what they can get away with. I believe that waitstaff are told to discourage overt sharing ---- how closely they enforce that may vary somewhat.

Please, I hope newcomers to Celebrity won't be put off by this discussion. We have always found Celebrity staffers to be courteous, pleasant and welcoming. But it should be obvious to us all that the purpose of the drink packages is to provide unlimited beverages to 1 cruiser per package, NOT to order extra drinks for others. You may or may not be chastized if someone just takes a "sip" , or it may depend how big that "sip" is! And I imagine you could get away with getting a drink and taking it to someone out of sight. But you shouldn't expect to be able to order a drink, put it in front of the person next to you and watch them drink the whole thing. As long as you don't do that, you won't have any problems. I was simply pointing out that it is possible to be stopped from getting drinks for others. Whether it is right or wrong is a separate discussion. I know that I personally would be embarrassed, but some may want to give it a try and see what they can get away with. I believe that waitstaff are told to discourage overt sharing ---- how closely they enforce that may vary somewhat.

I agree.:D

I guess I'm not seeing the convenience of going back to the bar, standing in line (again) and ordering a second "freebie" drink? If a drink cost 50 bucks, then maybe I'd understand. But, for 8 bucks? I would rather order two drinks at the same time, put one on the S&S card, and be on my merry little way.

Sent from my SGH-T859 using Tapatalk 2

Grocery stores are only concerned with profit vs. my well-being, too. That doesn't mean I should grab a bag of grapes, and eat them all whilst I shop. It's called stealing because it is stealing, not because everyone is bigoted against you.

I guess I'm not seeing the convenience of going back to the bar, standing in line (again) and ordering a second "freebie" drink? If a drink cost 50 bucks, then maybe I'd understand. But, for 8 bucks? I would rather order two drinks at the same time, put one on the S&S card, and be on my merry little way.

Grocery stores are only concerned with profit vs. my well-being, too. That doesn't mean I should grab a bag of grapes, and eat them all whilst I shop. It's called stealing because it is stealing, not because everyone is bigoted against you.

Yes, just because Celebrity is a big organisation doesn't mean it can afford stealing. In saying that, I do not think a sip of a drink is stealing.:D

Totally agree with MicCanberra & retired067.

If I want to give my hubby a sip from my water or sneak him a NA drink, that's my business. I do not expect to spend the night locked up in the Celebrity jail.

This is not theft. Please everyone get a life!!!!!!!!

I just got off the Celebrity Summit this morning. I had the premium NA package and my dh did hot have any package. . . .just purchased a beer when it suited him.

I had quite a few large bottles of Pellegrino water during the week. Most every time I ordered one, the bartender asked me if I wanted one or 2 glasses with it.

So on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda, they had no problem with me "sharing" my large bottles of fizzy water.

Some lines require all passengers booked in the same room pay for the same drink packages (with minors getting appropriate packages).

Hopefully, If everybody acts appropriately, this is both the customers and the crew/staff, then 'X' shouldn't have to change their policies.:D

Archived