Prescription Meds

shera1209

I have traveled internationally MANY times and never take the original bottles along, and no, I don't even take the paperwork. I have my pills in little plastic baggies that I get at a specialty store. (They hold about 20 pills.)

I have never had a problem with any airline, cruise line or even walking across a border where my bags have been checked.

You can't find it because there is no such federal law.............

Just deal with the USA federal law that states you must always keep medication in the original container.

If you don't care about people supplying misinformation why are you trying to find this non existent law?

Still waiting on someone that got arrested by a TSA or US custom agent having pills in a seven day case. Just provide the booking number for the arrest so we can verify.

We were never arrested or anything like that, but I had Australian customs take away my daughter's EpiPen because her name was spelled differently on her passport and the prescription label (long story, misspelled name on birth cert, took 6 years to change in courts). Thank goodness we had mine in case of emergency for the rest of the trip!

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What you would be arrested for is possession of a controlled substance. The police officer has no way of determining if they are prescribed to you unless you have the original container or the paper that the pharmicist gives with the prescription. So basically you will have to go before a judge to prove that they were prescribed to you.

You can also be arrested for possessing a controlled substance in a prescription bottle if the name on the bottle is not you. There have been a couple of cases of folks picking up prescriptions for someone as an errand and being charged. Usually there are other violations that led up to the discovery.

Dave

Please remember that not all prescription meds are controlled substances. The Feds won't care about your blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, or even your ******. :rolleyes: They might care about Schedule II-V meds--Adderall, Ritalin, Oxycodone, Xanax, Valium, Vicodin, and the like, and these are things for you will want proper documentation that they belong to you and you obtained them legally. However, in this day of 90-day supplies, I don't think it's advisable to travel with a large quantity of any med which might be lost or stolen--especially the scheduled ones. If you're a conscientious 7-day pill box user, for example, talk with your pharmacist about getting some alternative documentation for traveling.

1 -Just because lots of people do it all the time with no problem does mean it is okay. It only means they have not been bothered.

2 - The airlines pretty much don't bother anybody. Only the TSA inspects stuff.

3 - Having the original package is a good idea for personal HEALTH reasons. If something happens to you, the medical types need to KNOW what you are taking. Very important stuff. At least have a copy of what it is.

4 - As to space in suitcase or carryon - how much room does it REALLY take or weigh?

5 - Of course, carryon is the only way to transport. We always assume our checked bags will disappear.

I have traveled all over with just my weekly pill box in my carry on. Never got questioned or bothered However because my one med is important, I will always throw the original bottles in my suitcase with the rest of the pills in it.

That way if for some reason I am delayed in a destination I am not without them, if I ever do get questioned they are there etc.

There are a couple of things you can do to lighten the load if you get 90 day perscriptions.

As others have posted request a smaller bottle from you pharmacy to dump some from the big bottle into.

Some pharmacies offer labelled blister packs that are already sorted into little pouches morn, noon, night etc.

Not sure about U.S. but our pharmacies up here also will do a print out of your meds that has all the needed information on it and then you can carry just the weekly pill box with you.

I have traveled internationally MANY times and never take the original bottles along, and no, I don't even take the paperwork. I have my pills in little plastic baggies that I get at a specialty store. (They hold about 20 pills.)

I have never had a problem with any airline, cruise line or even walking across a border where my bags have been checked.

I have exceeded the speed limit by 20+ MPH daily for 10 years and have never gotten a speeding ticket.

What's the point of your post?

A small amount of pills going through a scanner in a long security line will not raise any red flags. I have traveled in the US and internationally with my prescriptions in a pill holder (most recently with a copy of the prescriptions since DS was appalled I did not use the original bottles) and have had no problem. The supply taken is enough to last a week past the time of my planned trip, so around 2-3 weeks supply.

Yes, I know, there is the caught and uncaught... but seriously??? A few pain medications are not interesting to anyone. Now if I had 50 or 100 in a baggy, maybe, but 10 or 15?? And yes, adding in extra bottles for 5 or 6 bulky perscription bottles to my carryon is a problem since I only do carryon - every bit of space counts.

A list of the drugs I am taking (printed from my online pharmacy account) is just as effective as all of those bottles. But then I am a wild and crazy gal - I live dangerously and travel without my original perscription bottles;)

1 -Just because lots of people do it all the time with no problem does mean it is okay. It only means they have not been bothered.

2 - The airlines pretty much don't bother anybody. Only the TSA inspects stuff.

3 - Having the original package is a good idea for personal HEALTH reasons. If something happens to you, the medical types need to KNOW what you are taking. Very important stuff. At least have a copy of what it is.

4 - As to space in suitcase or carryon - how much room does it REALLY take or weigh?

5 - Of course, carryon is the only way to transport. We always assume our checked bags will disappear.

In reference to #3.....

As a critical care nurse, this is important to point out! We have had many "visitors" brought to the hospital while visiting families and it's a real problem sometimes determining what medication the patient is taking, especially with the homeopathic meds. Sure we can look them up in the PDR or online by the number inscribed on the pills....but much faster and more accurate if the pills are in a bottle from the pharmacy.

Is it the law? Not unless it's a scheduled med......is it advisable to do so, IMO, yes! But then, I'm only a nurse who practices what I preach.;)

In reference to #3.....

As a critical care nurse, this is important to point out! We have had many "visitors" brought to the hospital while visiting families and it's a real problem sometimes determining what medication the patient is taking, especially with the homeopathic meds. Sure we can look them up in the PDR or online by the number inscribed on the pills....but much faster and more accurate if the pills are in a bottle from the pharmacy.

Is it the law? Not unless it's a scheduled med......is it advisable to do so, IMO, yes! But then, I'm only a nurse who practices what I preach.;)

You say "visitors" but would this information (bolded above) be something U.S only. My one med actually has the name + a number on the reverse side (which I would assume has something to do with the dose). My other med has absolutely nothing imprinted on it.

When we are talking cruising, for the most part that is people traveling to other countries and therefore a pill may just look like a pill. Even though I only take 2 meds, I make it a practice of always carrying a print out from my pharmacy of my meds. It's a very small piece of paper and can save anyone in the medical field that may have to treat me conscious or unconscious from having to guess if I am on meds and what they are.

You say "visitors" but would this information (bolded above) be something U.S only. My one med actually has the name + a number on the reverse side (which I would assume has something to do with the dose). My other med has absolutely nothing imprinted on it.

When we are talking cruising, for the most part that is people traveling to other countries and therefore a pill may just look like a pill. Even though I only take 2 meds, I make it a practice of always carrying a print out from my pharmacy of my meds. It's a very small piece of paper and can save anyone in the medical field that may have to treat me conscious or unconscious from having to guess if I am on meds and what they are.

Again, only my opinion from my experiences of having to look up medications prescribed by physicians around the world as well as the US.

Again, only my opinion from my experiences of having to look up medications prescribed by physicians around the world as well as the US.

I wasn't questioning your opinion, I was actually asking for your expertice on whether in your experience this was odd to have a med without anything on it. So I guess you sort of answered my question and I guess my one med then is a fluke, or rare that it has nothing on it that would help anyone.

I wasn't questioning your opinion, I was actually asking for your expertice on whether in your experience this was odd to have a med without anything on it. So I guess you sort of answered my question and I guess my one med then is a fluke, or rare that it has nothing on it that would help anyone.

So used to unfortunate bashing on here....my sincerest apologies!!:o

Yes, it is unusual for meds not to have a number on them, especially those manufactured in the US. What you do by carrying your meds on a piece of paper is totally helpful! Too bad more people don't do that!! You would do very well to have that information with you, as well as a spouse or family member traveling with you. When I travel, I do take my two bottles as well as a list of medications in my wallet....certainly don't want to carry bottles on an excursion! I typically travel with a family member so we often exchange lists (totally anal I know!) so each of us has one available.

But, for those people who do not carry an up-to-date list, a smaller bottle from the pharmacy is a good idea....especially when traveling to a foreign country. I've had to look up meds prescribed in Third-world countries for patients coming to America for surgeries which is next to impossible because they are typically donated from around the world. I would just want to err on the side of cautious (or anal)!!

Again, I apologize!!

So used to unfortunate bashing on here....my sincerest apologies!!:o

Yes, it is unusual for meds not to have a number on them, especially those manufactured in the US. What you do by carrying your meds on a piece of paper is totally helpful! Too bad more people don't do that!! You would do very well to have that information with you, as well as a spouse or family member traveling with you. When I travel, I do take my two bottles as well as a list of medications in my wallet....certainly don't want to carry bottles on an excursion! I typically travel with a family member so we often exchange lists (totally anal I know!) so each of us has one available.

But, for those people who do not carry an up-to-date list, a smaller bottle from the pharmacy is a good idea....especially when traveling to a foreign country. I've had to look up meds prescribed in Third-world countries for patients coming to America for surgeries which is next to impossible because they are typically donated from around the world. I would just want to err on the side of cautious (or anal)!!

Again, I apologize!!

No problem, I understood after that my question really didn't come out as a question.

Security was all over me for the two containers I had in my carry on that they noticed on the Xray machine. One was an antibiotic, and the other was Vicodin. They checked both bottles out for my name etc, asked me what they were for. This was at the Black Falcon Terminal in Boston.

While each country has its own requirements, in the U.S. the agency travelers encounter most often is TSA. Their website states the following : "We do not require that your medications be labeled.... Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened." I doubt U.S. Customs would apply a different standard for returning citizens with mostly-empty, daily dispensers.

I take 12 pills daily of 9 medications whose original containers would take up a fair amount of space. Because I use a mail-order pharmacy which refuses to provide small travel-sized bottles, I travel with a daily dispenser with compartments large enough to hold the trip's supply of pills (plus a day or two extra, just in case). I also print out my medication history from the pharmacy website. While that may not be rock-solid fool-proof, it's fine for my personal level of risk aversion. I do not take any controlled substances but, if I did, I would probably then use original containers.

Hi all,

I am sailing on the Star this coming weekend. My question - if I am taking some meds with me (some prescription, some just Excedrin, Tylenol, etc.), do I need to take them in their original bottles? I'm looking to save room by possibly putting only what I need in a travel container. This is my first cruise, so I don't know what is permitted. Thanks so much for your help!

Sheri

Customs really does not care unless you are carrying a boatload. I put mine in my daily case and don't bother. Only the paranoid keeps getting paranoid. Make it easy on yourself and save the room.

Please remember that not all prescription meds are controlled substances. The Feds won't care about your blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, or even your ******. :rolleyes: They might care about Schedule II-V meds--Adderall, Ritalin, Oxycodone, Xanax, Valium, Vicodin, and the like, and these are things for you will want proper documentation that they belong to you and you obtained them legally. However, in this day of 90-day supplies, I don't think it's advisable to travel with a large quantity of any med which might be lost or stolen--especially the scheduled ones. If you're a conscientious 7-day pill box user, for example, talk with your pharmacist about getting some alternative documentation for traveling.

LOL. They censored the impotence-med-that-starts-with-V, but left in everything else I get constantly SPAMmed about. :o

What a world!

Hi all,

I am sailing on the Star this coming weekend. My question - if I am taking some meds with me (some prescription, some just Excedrin, Tylenol, etc.), do I need to take them in their original bottles? I'm looking to save room by possibly putting only what I need in a travel container. This is my first cruise, so I don't know what is permitted. Thanks so much for your help!

Sheri

Unless the meds are pain pills or something similar you do not have to take them in their original container, even if you're flying.

I know that many CC folks say to always take the original containers but I can tell you that we have taken many cruises, some including flights to or from Europe or South America and we have never taken the original containers. The containers are too large for all of them to fit comfortably in a carryon.

I fix daily packets of the meds in small 2x3" bags, put those bags in a larger ziplock bag with copies of the Rx's. No TSA agent or customs agent has ever even looked at the Rx copies nor questioned the pill packets which I leave in the backpack carryon. They are easily visbile to Xray screening.

Those of you who think it's perfectly OK to take medications on an international trip in something other than their original prescription bottles might want to try to contemplate why the State Department advises otherwise.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html

...To avoid problems when passing through customs, keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Bring copies of your prescriptions and the generic names for the drugs. If a medication is unusual or contains narcotics, carry a letter from your doctor attesting to your need to take the drug. If you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into a country, consult the embassy or consulate of that country before you travel...

Just because you haven't had a problem so far doesn't mean that you might not have one in the future. If you're unlucky enough to have your possessions subjected to a full customs search you could be facing a problem.

Edited by njhorseman

Another nurse adding to this thread. In addition to having a list of the prescription medications you take on you at all times while traveling, do include on this list any allergies you have to medications, IV contrast dyes, etc., as well as if you have implanted prosthetic devices such as pacemakers, defibrillators, cardiac stents, artificial joints, imbedded schrapanel common amongst veterans, etc. which can cause problems with certain testing procedures most notably MRIs.

Another nurse adding to this thread. In addition to having a list of the prescription medications you take on you at all times while traveling, do include on this list any allergies you have to medications, IV contrast dyes, etc., as well as if you have implanted prosthetic devices such as pacemakers, defibrillators, cardiac stents, artificial joints, imbedded schrapanel common amongst veterans, etc. which can cause problems with certain testing procedures most notably MRIs.

Great point....I totally left that out!;)

Great point....I totally left that out!;)

I work as a primary care case manager at a VA Hospital Clinic and almost daily get a call from some community hospital where one of our Vets is seeking care wanting medical info on them with allergies and medications topping the list of requested info. From the many medical info call requests I get, I would strongly suggest to those who have chronic medical conditions requiring the use of numerous medications, before you travel obtain from your doctor the progress note he/she wrote on you during your most recent visit with them. If your doctor wrote a good progress note, contained in it will be your history and physical exam info, medications, allergies, recent lab, x-rays, EKG results and other info that would greatly help the medical professionals expedite your care in an emergency situation.