Spa room upgrade vs. OBC?

carpeperdiem

We are on the Magic Aug 26

We were offered an upgrade to a spa balcony for a total cost of +$70 (panorama) OR a $160 OBC to stay put.

We are parents w/ 2 girls (8 & 3)

We would use the spa features...

We like non-smoking.

I like the idea of letting my girls get ready in the room and I could use the spa locker (i'm the dad).

Is there a down-side to being on spa deck 12 in a spa room?

I read that we could buy our way into the spa for $250 -- so this is a better value (and we'd get 2 classes too, yes?) -- but are the downsides (forward, high) not worth the benefits and the current room we have (mid-Empress). If seas are rough, does a high spa room toss about?

We will be taking our kids to camp now and then -- and we are new yorkers, so walking 800' to do anything is pretty normal -- so the "long walk aft" is not an issue to us.

I have to decide right now. Thanks in advance for your input.

J

We are on the Magic Aug 26

We were offered an upgrade to a spa balcony for a total cost of +$70 (panorama) OR a $160 OBC to stay put.

We are parents w/ 2 girls (8 & 3)

We would use the spa features...

We like non-smoking.

I like the idea of letting my girls get ready in the room and I could use the spa locker (i'm the dad).

Is there a down-side to being on spa deck 12 in a spa room?

I read that we could buy our way into the spa for $250 -- so this is a better value (and we'd get 2 classes too, yes?) -- but are the downsides (forward, high) not worth the benefits and the current room we have (mid-Empress). If seas are rough, does a high spa room toss about?

We will be taking our kids to camp now and then -- and we are new yorkers, so walking 800' to do anything is pretty normal -- so the "long walk aft" is not an issue to us.

I have to decide right now. Thanks in advance for your input.

J

I would say the location of the room is what is most important. And by that, I mean what is above, below and next to you. Where is your other room located? If you plan on spending a lot of time by the pool, being by the spa is a lot closer so if you forget things or want to use your own bathroom, the convenience is better. But all things being equal, I'd take the money :)

Reading what you wrote...I'd say you would like the Spa cabin more than staying put. The large spa showers are great. The spa itself was way better than I thought...primarily booked it for my wife, but then decided that I enjoyed it as well. Close to the main pool and waterworks...shorter walk to the buffet and ice cream...

But the final decision on what you would like can really only be made by you...I know what I would do...the Spa balcony. Enjoy which ever decision you make!

Unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure I read on Carnival's website that the spa passes are not included if you upgrade. I'd check into that.

If it's not included, I would take the OBC and use it toward purchasing a pass. It's around $240 per couple. A limited number are sold per cruise.

It it is included, I'd definately upgrade depending on cabin location.

Unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure I read on Carnival's website that the spa passes are not included if you upgrade. I'd check into that.

If it's not included, I would take the OBC and use it toward purchasing a pass. It's around $240 per couple. A limited number are sold per cruise.

I have heard this also~ call back and ask specifically about the spa passes!!

Spa passes included.

We currently have mid-ship empress 7 balcony

Are the balcony rooms on deck 12 (starboard) have privacy from above? Do people standing on serenity look straight down onto deck 12 balconies?

I am going to try to get this.

Thanks to all.

J

Spa passes included.

We currently have mid-ship empress 7 balcony

Are the balcony rooms on deck 12 (starboard) have privacy from above? Do people standing on serenity look straight down onto deck 12 balconies?

I am going to try to get this.

Thanks to all.

J

We had cabin 12019 last May. I never saw anyone looking into our balcony. Where we were, I don't think they could.

By the way, the location is fantastic. Your kids will like being close to the water park area.

Thanks to all.

While on hold all spa rooms filled. BUMMER!

The upgrades and guarantees were all filling as I was on hold.

I watched ALL balcony rooms disappear in a matter of a few minutes.

YikES!

So I get the OBC and I'll buy my way into the spa (financial wash).

Thanks to all for the replies!

Thanks to all.

While on hold all spa rooms filled. BUMMER!

The upgrades and guarantees were all filling as I was on hold.

I watched ALL balcony rooms disappear in a matter of a few minutes.

YikES!

So I get the OBC and I'll buy my way into the spa (financial wash).

Thanks to all for the replies!

Have a great cruise

They aren't included with free upgrades. Not that you see them anymore.

Wow -- while on hold with my TA we both watched a couple dozen balcony rooms (spa and non-spa) all get assigned. TA called her help desk at CCL and it turns out that they were doing the guaranteed assignments literally at the same time... so we had to scramble.

We were able to get a slightly better location on 8, midship starboard (as opposed to near an elevator on 7, port). I'm fine with this.

And we got $160 OBC that I can use for the spa (or not).

Watching the rooms simply blip off the screen while on hold was a trip! Kinda like the movie War Games (anyone old enough to remember that!) - showing my age.

Best to all.

J

Wow -- while on hold with my TA we both watched a couple dozen balcony rooms (spa and non-spa) all get assigned. TA called her help desk at CCL and it turns out that they were doing the guaranteed assignments literally at the same time... so we had to scramble.

We were able to get a slightly better location on 8, midship starboard (as opposed to near an elevator on 7, port). I'm fine with this.

And we got $160 OBC that I can use for the spa (or not).

Watching the rooms simply blip off the screen while on hold was a trip! Kinda like the movie War Games (anyone old enough to remember that!) - showing my age.

Best to all.

J

Have a great cruise. See you on board. :)

Have a great cruise. See you on board. :)

Ah -- yes! You too!

(I have signatures hidden since some of the signatures on CC can be longer than the entire thread)

Are you traveling with kids? I started a family/kids roll call (separate from the "grown up" pub crawl group - grown up only in quotes) -- Looks like the children aboard will NOT be from TX (TX school starts next week - but not in NY)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1682960

I'm still a little bummed that we didn't get the spa balcony, since I'm a non-smoker and especially with my kids, we choose to avoid as much 2nd hand smoke as we can. In NYC, that's easy -- but in the rest of the world... hopefully our verandah balcony will be far enough away from a smoker.

Thanks to all for your comments. I learned a lot from you.

Jeremy

We loved our deck 12 cabin on the Magic. We had 12044. All extras that come with the spa cabins are well worth it, and we also like being on a less busy deck. Since the Splendor will be going to NY, you'll have a ship with a Cloud 9 spa in your home port. Lucky! I'm going to miss her in our home port!

Regrets...

My TA now tells me that CCL will not give us the OBC. :-(

Why use a TA if they don't know booking rules? Ah, but that's OT for this thread.

TA suggests I "discuss this" with someone at checkin. Um, right.... I'm going to waste my vacation arguing with an agent (which will not get me anything) -- when all I want is a DOD and get my kids to the water slide. No thanks.

TA just lost my account. As they say, "whatever".

Regrets...

My TA now tells me that CCL will not give us the OBC. :-(

Why use a TA if they don't know booking rules? Ah, but that's OT for this thread.

TA suggests I "discuss this" with someone at checkin. Um, right.... I'm going to waste my vacation arguing with an agent (which will not get me anything) -- when all I want is a DOD and get my kids to the water slide. No thanks.

TA just lost my account. As they say, "whatever".

Im so sorry to hear this.. especially when you thought you had made the smart choice of OBC .. now to find you lost out on both.

I always think its sad when TAs mess up like this and its not them, its the pax who losses out.

With the fast world of internet i can not imagine why anyone would use a T.A. anymore, sorry T.A.'s of the world. We had friends book to St.Thomas, to save $20 she booked my friend Denver-Newark-Miami-ST.Thomas, with ridiculous layovers, are you kidding me, and a red eye. how about AA Denver-Miami-STT. I personally like to look at my fastest route with the least layovers.

Archived