Nellie's Cabana question...

missemo12345

We did a B2B cruise on the Freedom last month, and had booked a Cabana at Nellies Beach.

I thought I'd post my comments and pictures since I found lots of valuable info here before our cruise.

When I booked the Cabana I did not want an over-water cabana, as I wanted more privacy, and importantly - shade. Having a nice view of the ship, and area weighed more than convenience of being close to the water.

I had read that they were pre-booked, and I figured that most people with families would want to be closer to the water. Therefore I was prepared to trade with someone if I was near the beach.

I didn't have to. :)

We arrived around 10 AM, and were shown to a Cabana high up on the hill, (near the old monument /bell) It was perfect. Very private, and excellent view of the ship.

It was a walk down quite a few steps to the beach, but that was fine - no mobility issues here.

The beach and swimming are are nice, however after a short while it got pretty crowded at this beach.

Our waiter introduced himself, and took us down to the beach where he showed us our two beach chairs and floating mats. We said "Fine", and promptly returned to our cabana. It was very hot and we appreciated the shade and overhead fan in the cabana.

Soon he arrived with beers we had ordered. We asked him if he would check in on us every 45 minutes or so. ;)

In our Cabana was a cooler with lots of ice, and 3 large bottles of water.

We only drank one, and took another back to the ship.

There was lots of room if you have more in your group. I could see them wanting to limit it to 6, but I can't see them having a problem with a small child.

I used one of the electrical outlets provided to charge my camera battery.

Re: Food. This was the icing on the cake, and the main reason I would book another Cabana in a heartbeat.

Our waiter came up to tell us the food had arrived around noon, but we waited until just past 12:30 to go up. (we had a late breakfast).

There was absolutely no line-up, and when I asked for some hot skewers of shrimp they happily obliged. In a few minutes I had 6 fresh off the grill skewers. The rest of the food was very good also.

My DW didn't like the look of the steaks that had been sitting in the tray for who-knows-how-long, so they cooked up a steak for her to her liking - Rare.

She was impressed. There was also a small bar right beside the food, so we grabbed a couple of ice cold beers, and found a table in the shade.

After lunch it was a short walk back to the cabana.

At the pre-arranged time before sail-away our fellow came back to get us, and had arranged a golf-cart ride back to the gate. I tipped him, and thanked him for his service during the day.

All in all, it was a very nice way to spend the day in Labadee, and I recommend it highly.

Tonight when I get home I'll post up some pics of our Cabana and location.

We did a B2B cruise on the Freedom last month, and had booked a Cabana at Nellies Beach.

I thought I'd post my comments and pictures since I found lots of valuable info here before our cruise.

When I booked the Cabana I did not want an over-water cabana, as I wanted more privacy, and importantly - shade. Having a nice view of the ship, and area weighed more than convenience of being close to the water.

I had read that they were pre-booked, and I figured that most people with families would want to be closer to the water. Therefore I was prepared to trade with someone if I was near the beach.

I didn't have to. :)

We arrived around 10 AM, and were shown to a Cabana high up on the hill, (near the old monument /bell) It was perfect. Very private, and excellent view of the ship.

It was a walk down quite a few steps to the beach, but that was fine - no mobility issues here.

The beach and swimming are are nice, however after a short while it got pretty crowded at this beach.

Our waiter introduced himself, and took us down to the beach where he showed us our two beach chairs and floating mats. We said "Fine", and promptly returned to our cabana. It was very hot and we appreciated the shade and overhead fan in the cabana.

Soon he arrived with beers we had ordered. We asked him if he would check in on us every 45 minutes or so. ;)

In our Cabana was a cooler with lots of ice, and 3 large bottles of water.

We only drank one, and took another back to the ship.

There was lots of room if you have more in your group. I could see them wanting to limit it to 6, but I can't see them having a problem with a small child.

I used one of the electrical outlets provided to charge my camera battery.

Re: Food. This was the icing on the cake, and the main reason I would book another Cabana in a heartbeat.

Our waiter came up to tell us the food had arrived around noon, but we waited until just past 12:30 to go up. (we had a late breakfast).

There was absolutely no line-up, and when I asked for some hot skewers of shrimp they happily obliged. In a few minutes I had 6 fresh off the grill skewers. The rest of the food was very good also.

My DW didn't like the look of the steaks that had been sitting in the tray for who-knows-how-long, so they cooked up a steak for her to her liking - Rare.

She was impressed. There was also a small bar right beside the food, so we grabbed a couple of ice cold beers, and found a table in the shade.

After lunch it was a short walk back to the cabana.

At the pre-arranged time before sail-away our fellow came back to get us, and had arranged a golf-cart ride back to the gate. I tipped him, and thanked him for his service during the day.

All in all, it was a very nice way to spend the day in Labadee, and I recommend it highly.

Tonight when I get home I'll post up some pics of our Cabana and location.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review, I appreciate it very much. We have reserved a cabana ON the beach -- if you have any pictures of them I would love to see them.

We were on the 8/4 sailing on Oasis and had an Over the Water Cabana. The ARE pre-assigned. The golf cart takes you to a guy with a clip board who has your assigned cabana on his sheet. We had one with steps that went down into the water maybe 2 feet from the edge of the beach. We had 4 in our party, had an amazing day! There are electrical outlets in the cabana so you can bring your electronics if you want. The upgraded buffet was very good. The steak was simply delicious. The attendant brought drinks and there was a cooler with 3 or 4 large bottles of Evian, that we ended up taking back on the ship. A

So, we had bought a beer bag on the ship on Sunday, and we were allowed to take the beers we had left in it to the cabana with us. Used the cooler already in the cabana to keep them cold. All in all a GREAT day and $200 well spent! Definitely get off of the ship early, but only to make the most of your time in the cabana. We got there early and left at the last possible minute.

We are non suite, with an over the water cabana. Do the steps go into deep or shallow water. I do not swim, just stand in the water.

We were in the cabana that had the handicap ramp down to the water's edge. The first two cabanas on the right side of the beach used the ramp. The next two capanas used steps to enter the water and the water was ankle deep when you stepped off the last step. The last two cabanas used a laddert to enter the water. At that spot the water was about waist deep, easily walked around the area. You will be able to get into the water at any of the cabanas and the water will not be that deep. We were there at high tide. When it is low tide, the water will, of course, be even more shallow. No worries for a non-swimmer.

We were in the cabana that had the handicap ramp down to the water's edge. The first two cabanas on the right side of the beach used the ramp. The next two capanas used steps to enter the water and the water was ankle deep when you stepped off the last step. The last two cabanas used a laddert to enter the water. At that spot the water was about waist deep, easily walked around the area. You will be able to get into the water at any of the cabanas and the water will not be that deep. We were there at high tide. When it is low tide, the water will, of course, be even more shallow. No worries for a non-swimmer.

Flowers, I remember you saying you would be posting pics. Sounds like more and more Cabanas are getting built all the time. Got anything for us? :D

Sorry, I did not get many pictures that day. We were to busy enjoying the cabana and the great swimming. The photos that appeared earlier on this Private Island site pretty much show you what you will see. Is there such a thing as having too much fun?

We were in the cabana that had the handicap ramp down to the water's edge. The first two cabanas on the right side of the beach used the ramp. The next two capanas used steps to enter the water and the water was ankle deep when you stepped off the last step. The last two cabanas used a laddert to enter the water. At that spot the water was about waist deep, easily walked around the area. You will be able to get into the water at any of the cabanas and the water will not be that deep. We were there at high tide. When it is low tide, the water will, of course, be even more shallow. No worries for a non-swimmer.[/quote

Awesome thanks! My group really wants the cabana with the ladder..I hope it won't be hard to get. I honestly plan on getting up super early and standing in front of where they assign them so I'm the first one :D

I agree ! I've already booked a Nellie's beach cabana for 5/7/13. I'm going to try to surprise my sister so she'll wonder why I'm pushing and pulling her off the ship. lol

Update: I cancelled the beach cabana and booked the over the water cabana after reading posts in this board.

Lucky Princess- I have read many times on this board that 6 people are fine in the cabana and the child won't be a problem. How much can a little one eat?! :) Some posters had 7 & 8 people in the cabana. So when you sign in include your mother on the list so all seven of you get wristbands.

Sorry, I did not get many pictures that day. We were to busy enjoying the cabana and the great swimming. The photos that appeared earlier on this Private Island site pretty much show you what you will see. Is there such a thing as having too much fun?

Lol, of course not. We do the same thing.. have great intentions of getting tons of pics, but we just get caught up in being there, and end up with only a few pics.

Did it look like new cabanas were being built?

We did not see any cabanas that were being built. Every one around Nellie's Beach was finished and rented. I have to say that the people in the one next to us complained that it was not what they expected and were not happy with the cabana. Our shared cabana boy helped them pick up their belongings and they disappeared. The cabana sat empty the rest of the day. Can't figure out what their problem was but it was surely there loss. The cabanas were wonderfu. Some people can never be pleased.

As promised earlier, here are some photos of the Cabanas.

In this first set, I've marked up someone else's pictures to give you a general "lay of the land". My own pics will follow.

These pics were taken by Curtis (bionicman97) (we cruised at the very same time) See his wonderful review of Freedom here.

Labadeepic001.jpg

Labadeepic000.jpg

Labadeepic002.jpg

As mentioned earlier, ours was a Hillside Cabana at Nellie's Beach - up high and very private

which is what I wanted. It was a short walk down some steps to the beach.

P1060520.jpg

^ DW relaxing on the cushy lounger. NOTE: There were 4 blue towels provided. We didn't know that, and had brought 2 from the ship.

Note also the red cooler, behind my beach bag. It contained 3 large bottles of water and lots of ice.

P1060524.jpg

^ Looking out at the two loungers in the sun (didn't get as much use as it was so hot)

P9180223.jpg

^ This was our Cabana viewed from the water. I was almost at the limit of the "swim area"

P1060525.jpg

^ From our Cabana looking right, a partial view of the ship.

P1060541.jpg

^ Full view of our ship (I had to go out on the porch to get the full view)

more....

P1060526.jpg

^ This one taken full right, and now you can see part of the beach with the other set of Cabana's (seperate entrance and beach)

P1060527.jpg

^ View out the left of our Cabana, showing Nellie's beach and some of the over-water Cabana's

P9180227.jpg

^ Similar view, but taken from the water perspective

P9180232.jpg

^ Showing the Shrimp Skewers served at the Cabana Lunch buffet

P9180231.jpg

^ Showing the Steaks offered at the Cabana Lunch Buffet

The upgraded lunch buffet, and lack of lines, (and flies) was the "icing on the cake".

Enjoy, whichever Cabana you choose!

Archived