Viking Ship Embla not leaving from Nuremberg

celebrationtiger

I´ve received some newer information about Bulgaria. There is an extreme low water situation at kilometer 562. Ships drawing more than 1.7 m can´t pass anymore.

As for the Danube river in Germany/Bavaria: Todays newspaper is stating that this is the worst low water situation since 2003.

And in this thread someone is posting that Scenic is swapping ships.

steamboats

Thanks for the updates Steamboats. Nothing beats facts on the ground (water in this case).

And excellent news that the OP's concerns have been dealt with; although this thread is the first one on this board that has, in my case, induced whiplash :)

Bussed to Vilshofen I guess, as I have a tour for the Embla group in an hour at Nuremberg starting in a hotel.

Interesting

The OP posted they were on the ship

Maybe they will post again

We were to sail to Regensberg at 6pm tonight but are not able to..staying in Passau ovnight and being bussed there tomorrow..will see what happens after that..5 ships here tonight, presume they weren't all meant to be staying here either. River is low, plus there's been an accident with 2 barges north of here and the Danube has been closed.

I believe someone stated something similar to this in a previous thread, so please forgive me for making a similar observation. I find it really interesting to read one of these types of threads/posts with someone providing a dramatic review that's very negative (and at times contradictory), only to discover that it's just their first or second post ever. Cruise Critic has been around quite a while now; how is that they only "discovered" it after their ill-fated cruise and not before? Some of their "hardships" could have been averted with a little more research. Not saying that they don't have legitimate complaints or that there were not issues on their sailing, but the drama makes the post suspect and doesn't really help any of us trying to make an informed decision.

Tim

I believe someone stated something similar to this in a previous thread, so please forgive me for making a similar observation. I find it really interesting to read one of these types of threads/posts with someone providing a dramatic review that's very negative (and at times contradictory), only to discover that it's just their first or second post ever. Cruise Critic has been around quite a while now; how is that they only "discovered" it after their ill-fated cruise and not before? Some of their "hardships" could have been averted with a little more research. Not saying that they don't have legitimate complaints or that there were not issues on their sailing, but the drama makes the post suspect and doesn't really help any of us trying to make an informed decision.

Tim

Could be the same reason you only joined in 2011 & others have been here for many years. ;)

Not everyone who cruises knows of Cruise Critic astonishing as that may seem:D

Could be the same reason you only joined in 2011 & others have been here for many years. ;)

And that's the very reason I joined a year before our river cruise in Russia this past May, so I could research and be prepared and not let something like a 3.5 hour transfer from the airport to the ship ruin my vacatation. :D

But, if they didn't find it *before* they went on their cruise, how have they managed to find it just as they were getting ready to board the boat, or had just boarded? I would have to think that people would have more important things to do than to surf the net, looking for a forum to complain about their experiences. In 2 cases now, the posts were made before the end of the trip.

In the case of one poster, it was a "beware" post, and then a copy of his letter to Viking - asking for an immediate monetary resolution to his complaint.

IMHO, it would have more credibility if the cruise continued on and was completely "un-salvageable" - and his repeated attempts to contact Viking after the cruise were ignored. This would be more of a "warning" post...

Fran

Bussed to Vilshofen I guess, as I have a tour for the Embla group in an hour at Nuremberg starting in a hotel.

Everyone on the ship was over nighted in Nuremberg and bussed to Vilshofen so they would not miss the Nuremberg tour. I had arrived in Nuremberg early and had done the Nuremberg tour on my own. Therefore I was able to go to Vilshofen and board the ship on the regularly scheduled day.

IMHO, it would have more credibility if the cruise continued on and was completely "un-salvageable" - and his repeated attempts to contact Viking after the cruise were ignored. This would be more of a "warning" post...

Fran

I agree....I waited to the end to complain not for compensation but to express my opinion & experiences

I did a lot of research & was prepared for the water level issue & some long bus rides but some of the other things was just plain disappointing & not what Scenic advertised but that is another thread ;)

Maybe someone on the cruise mentioned CC to the new posters or they were so mad they just went looking for places to complain

Unless they say how /why they posted on CC we will never know ;)

Lyn

I agree....I waited to the end to complain not for compensation but to express my opinion & experiences

Lyn

I, too, waited till the end to make my complaints. Had the things I had problems with been something they could have done something about, it would have been different, but the problems were systemic.

In fact, in light of the discussion I had on the other thread, I would like to say: other than with the one other couple we met that had the same concerns, we didn't talk negatively about the cruise at all with the other passengers at all. When other passengers complained about the heat, the AC issues, the water pressure issues, and the like, we often stated what has been said on here -- industry standards are different in the US than in Europe, the cruiseline can't be held responsible for the weather, and so forth.

I do try to do my best to put a positive spin on things, at least at the time. When I get back, I can assess and whine all I want. ;-)

Archived