Looking for price drop stories...

Lets hear them! What's your best price drop story? How much, when did you get it (relative to final payment)? and have you ever got anything (upgrade, etc.) after final payment?

I'll start... mine is small... just grabbed $350 for a family of 6, one month prior to final payment... looking for more! :D

Your small would be my big!!! We did grab a nice price drop of $620 this past May after final payment date. But it was on a Carnival ship and we booked Early Saver which makes a difference when you find a price drop after your final payment date.

Explorer of the Seas sailed 8/2/12. Dropped in April $1500.00 per couple and went up 2 categories. Balcony E2 deck 7 to D2 balcony deck 8 Also booked a cruise from Rome for 11 days on October 9th Holy Land cruise on Rccl for $999.00 a person. We are in a balcony stateroom and recieved a $200.00 credit on our ship account. This is a great deal. Last year we paid

$3100.00 a couple on same ship for our Mediterrain cruise in September. I check every day till my final payment is due. Ijust call my travel agent and he gets me the discount.:)

Our best deal happened on our Radiance 10-nt MexRiv cruise. We booked in it late '08, after the market crashed. Originally, the balcony cabins were going for about $1600 pp. I snagged the coveted 8088, and as months passed, RCI was practically giving cabins away. Between the poor economy, and crime problems in Mexico (didn't scare us away!), the prices continued to drop. When all was said and done, we ended up paying $779 pp (before taxes) for that cruise, PLUS that was when we could still combine offers for a boatload of $$$ perks--balcony discount, shareholders AND NCC OBC. That cruise was our best deal ever! And we had a great time!!!:D

I'm still looking for one. Check twice, everyday and so far all I have seen are increases. So for me as long as prices continue to rise, I consider that my "price drop" plus by booking as far in advance as I do I have the cabin of choice.

The prices on our upcoming Monarch cruise just dopped from its high to what we booked at. (Of course, the drop happened after final payment.) Maybe, some day we will get a price drop. Who knows???

Back in 2009, we took our mom on a cruise to celebrate her 70th birthday. We booked a Royal Family Suite.

After final payment was made, the other three RFSs became available. RCI gave us $1,000 back for five passengers. We were very happy with the discount.

Where exactly do you go on RC site to look for price drops.

Mine is for March 2013, so I gues I will not be able to expect any change before next december or January

Newbie here with a June 2013… we only have small deposit in so far, could use some direction as to how everyone does this and when?:)

Newbie here with a June 2013… we only have small deposit in so far, could use some direction as to how everyone does this and when?:)

Go to the RCI website and "pretend" like you are booking a new cruise on your sale date and room type. You can then check to see if there are price drops.

Go to the RCI website and "pretend" like you are booking a new cruise on your sale date and room type. You can then check to see if there are price drops.

I actually tried that the other day, noticed that the taxes/fees have gone up but actual price per person stayed the same. Am I responsible for additional fees? If they go down, or the per person rate goes down do I call RC Customer Service and request a refund? Do they honor it in OBC? Sorry, have never tried this before, didn't know it was possible. Any info appreciated, thank you.

Your small would be my big!!! We did grab a nice price drop of $620 this past May after final payment date. But it was on a Carnival ship and we booked Early Saver which makes a difference when you find a price drop after your final payment date.

In March-April, we had received 7 price drops for our July 1, 2012 Carnival Conquest cruise after booking a year prior to cruise. We received $460 in price drops and $200 OBC because that drop was after our final payment. Total was $650.00.

Where exactly do you go on RC site to look for price drops.

Mine is for March 2013, so I gues I will not be able to expect any change before next december or January

I booked about a month ago for my upcoming cruise on RCI in February 2013. Within a month, my PR cabin dropped $140 ($70 pp). Instead of taking the price drop, I changed my PR cabin to a balcony for $60. :D

In March-April, we had received 7 price drops for our July 1, 2012 Carnival Conquest cruise after booking a year prior to cruise. We received $460 in price drops and $200 OBC because that drop was after our final payment. Total was $650.00.

I booked about a month ago for my upcoming cruise on RCI in February 2013. Within a month, my PR cabin dropped $140 ($70 pp). Instead of taking the price drop, I changed my PR cabin to a balcony for $60. :D

Wow! That's amazing! I hope I can get something, just checked again, no drop only raised taxes/fees SURPRISE! If my cruise is June, do you still think the price will drop around March or April? We only put down the minimum deposit when we booked so far and that was last April.

Wow! That's amazing! I hope I can get something, just checked again, no drop only raised taxes/fees SURPRISE! If my cruise is June, do you still think the price will drop around March or April? We only put down the minimum deposit when we booked so far and that was last April.

Just before the final payment is due is when people decide if they will cancel or move forward with final payment. If there are a lot of cancellations that free up a lot of cabins, the cruise line may offer a deal to sell them. It's a crap shoot. You can't possibly anticipate if that'll happen. Just keep checking and hopefully you will get lucky!

My best was a couple of years ago, when you could still get them up to 72 hours before sailing, dropped 820 pp total.

I definitely won't even come close to that! Our sailing is during the peak vacation time in the summer but anything at all would be really great! I did get the $25 OBC for bring a friend which I thought was great too! :)

Just before the final payment is due is when people decide if they will cancel or move forward with final payment. If there are a lot of cancellations that free up a lot of cabins, the cruise line may offer a deal to sell them. It's a crap shoot. You can't possibly anticipate if that'll happen. Just keep checking and hopefully you will get lucky!

Thanks so much! Never thought to even try till now. Fingers are crossed…well, when I'm not on the computer at least! LOL :D

Not sure if you call it a price drop. On our upcoming Radiance Hawaii cruise we had an inside cabin booked. I kept watching for discounts and jumped from the inside to a junior suite when the price dropped from $3249 to $1599 pp with a military discount. :)

We never actually paid the $3249 pp but we did grab that discount. :D

Bill

So I take it from the posts thus far, that I need to approach RCI for the discount? They won't just automatically apply it to those who paid more initially???

That's correct, you must request the lower price from whoever booked your cruise. This only applies until final payment date. After that, no credit for price drops are given.

Just got the biggest price drop I've ever had. Booked a Grand Suite with RCL in Dec 2011 for an Oct 2012 cruise. I checked the prices everyday because I really wanted an Owners Suite...... I don't care for tub/shower combo...I'm a shower person. The Owner's Suites were way out of my comfort zone. No price drops. My TA called RCL in July to see if I could get a deal by upgrading. RCL basically told my TA to get lost. Two weeks ago tomorrow I checked the price like I do every morning. The Owner's Suite was now $800 per person LESS than the Grand Suite I booked. I called my TA at home and she called RCL immediately. I've made final payment now and still can't believe it. The Grand Suite was a very good price when I booked it...my original Grand Suite lasted all of 15 minutes when RCL put it back in inventory!

Archived