Looking for price drop stories...

Started out in a Outside Cabin and ended up in a Junior Suite for $32 less then we were originaly going to pay for the Outside Cabin, in between we upgraded to a Balcony Cabin and we saved $332 by upgrading to the Junior Suite for our December, Rhapsody of the Seas, Australia Cruise...:D

Just keep on watching the prices for you cruise on a daily basis...

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

I definitely won't even come close to that! Our sailing is during the peak vacation time in the summer but anything at all would be really great! I did get the $25 OBC for bring a friend which I thought was great too! :)

We booked an interior room, deck 2, on Monarch for last year in late June. Just inside the 90 day window prices dropped and we got a deck 3 Outside room for no extra cost. Just keep an eye on it and when you see a drop, take it as soon as you can.

Last year we booked a 'bucket list' trip - B2B's in a Jr. Suite on the Radiance all the way around Australia, then on to NZ and back to Sydney....Very expensive but the splurge we planned for years. We started paying a little at a time after booking so that it didn't all hit at once. Our final payment was due somewhere around Dec. 1 last year, but we had paid the 1st of the B2B's in full early. On the day after Thanksgiving, we checked Cruise Critic and on our Roll Call, someone had posted (Thank you 'Sparky-El Paso'!) that there was a new discounted rate on that first cruise for a Senior Discount. We figured we'd have a tough time tracking down our TA on Thanksgiving weekend in time to take advantage of the discount, but...skipping a few details....it took about 1 hour of our time, and we ended up with a $2922 refund from what we had paid on the 1st cruise, applied to the cost of the 2nd cruise which we had not yet paid in full. That was enough to pay for hotels, all our shore excursions, even our wine packages. So....check your roll call, check your cruise prices online, move quickly if you see a discount, and hope for the best!

1. 3 couples travelling together on a 2 night cruise - Radiance of the Seas out of Sydney November 2012. Booked inside cabins at $444 pp, price dropped to $183 pp. Called Royal who advised price could not be adjusted, so we all just cancelled (we were prior to final payment date, so no penalty) and re-booked, got original cabins. Saved $1566 between the 6 of us!!!!

2. Booked vista suite on Carnival Spirit departing Sydney April 2013. Price dropped $500 for the cabin, carnival were happy to pass this on. Parents also saved $400 on same cruise in an extended balcony.

I have learnt that it is well worth 2 minutes each day to check current prices on the websites. I think my husband thought I was obsessive - until he started seeing the $$$$$ :D

We reserved a balcony cabin on a Celebrity Cruise from Honolulu to Auckland for Oct 2008. Just as final payment came due the bottom dropped out of the economy worldwide. Many people were unable to make final payment. Late one Friday evening in Sept 2008 I noticed a "flash sale" on a Royal Suite. Called my TA next morning and upgraded from a balcony to the Royal Suite for $700 TOTAL. We were offered the Penthouse for an additional $350. We stayed with the Royal Suite as we didn't need the Penthouse Suite. The Royal Suite was fabulous!!!! My husband told me not to get used to the Suite life...we've been in balconies since, but are going back to the Suite life for the next two cruises because of the deals I got.

Check the price of your reserved cabin everyday!!

We have a NYE cruise reserved in a GS. The Suites have been sold out for months. The price of a balcony cabin is now what we paid for our GS.

Reserve early and look for bargains!

what if there are no type of your cabin left available then how are you meant to check the pricing? I t hasn't happened me but i just wonder. I have a D5 balcony cabin deck 8 booked for aug 2013. what if they all sell out i have no way of checking the price. Can this happen?

what if there are no type of your cabin left available then how are you meant to check the pricing? I t hasn't happened me but i just wonder. I have a D5 balcony cabin deck 8 booked for aug 2013. what if they all sell out i have no way of checking the price. Can this happen?

I was wondering a similar thing, we have 3 mid ship ocean views right next to each other, situations like mine may be hard to find close to sailing? Do I search for suites? There are 6 of us…don't know if we will find anything but guess its worth a shot.

Wondering about same!

My cabin is 9595, is it called interior? is this what I should look for when I search for a price (interior cabin)

I go to the homepage and choose the cruise I'm sailing on..hit book now...I start checking prices with the suites and work my way to insides. There is a map of available cabins in each category. This will also tell you how well your cruise is selling. I exit the booking after I've viewed all the prices. It's important to check everyday. You can upgrade after final payment but you can't get any money refunded.

Hope this helps!

Greatest price drop for us is a Celebrity cruise. Started in a Sunset Veranda $2500/pp now in an Aqua for $1349 per person. I monitor all the price drops at a site that tracks and send me the info via email Cruise fish dot com

Chris

If there are no cabins left in your category, then there will almost certainly be no price drop. Price drops occur when a certain category of cabins is not selling as well as they would like.

We booked an 8 night Rome to Amsterdam repositioning this spring on the Brilliance.

Started out at $799 for an inside guarantee.

Price dropped to $599 for an inside guarantee.

Then after final the inside guarantee dropped to $399 and outside guarantees were at $599 so we able to get that.

Then a few weeks before sailing - we did an upsell to a balcony cabin for $50. And we then got the Emerald Balcony discount!

As all that was taking place - our OBC went up $25 pp from the TA for the balcony.

And we managed to snare a romance package that RCCL was offering. Hey free champagne in our room is nothing to sneeze at!

So what we were willing to spend $799 on for an inside we instead got a balcony cabin for $599 after all the discounts and OBC's.

Not great but we were happy!!

Our amounts are smaller, because we booked a lower category for just 2 of us on an already cheap cruise. Booked right after a price drop at $539 per person for a promenade room(for the cruise in my signature, 6 nights). Since then it has dropped to $439 with resident discounts, which also makes the insurance go down as well. Saved over $200 total so far, but I'm totally thrilled. Taking an almost week long cruise for $439 per person is really awesome, to me!

We are still several months out, so I guess we'll see if we get any other drops or upgrades ;)

In 2005 booked DH and I in a category N on GOS for 9/2006 for $2100 for a 9 night cruise - I was happy with the price;) Over the next year, moved around from category to category - IS to OV as price drops occurred. In July of 2006, six weeks prior to sailing, had to add DD & DS to reservation, but because of a $99 3rd person promo and price drops (this was before the current policy) we wound up with the 4 of us in a D2 Balcony cabin for only $2400:eek: - I was very happy indeed!

In 2010 booked a cruise for 12/11 on ExOS - 10 nights for a very reasonable $900pp for an E1 balcony (7688 - corner aft):D. 4th of July weekend 2012 caught a 2 day only price drop and after all savings certificates etc. we wound up pay $739pp for the same cabin:D. In addition, friends travelling with us were able to upgrade from an OV on deck two to a balcony on deck 6 PLUS save $100:D.

Many other trips have caught small drops and primarily used the differences to upgrade categories, i.e. move from a N to a M etc.

Have a trip coming up in Feb of 2013 and (at this time) all suites and balconies are sold out, so hoping to see some movement when final pay passes by BUT if I don't I'm very comfortable with the price (booked on board ExOS, got my aft and OBC - life is good:cool:).

[quote name='Kartgv']If there are no cabins left in your category, then there will almost certainly be no price drop. Price drops occur when a certain category of cabins is not selling as well as they would like.[/quote]

That is true but a higher category may be cheaper than what you have booked, so also check

Chris

Archived