May be a pessismist, but wondering about Tampa re-routing due to bad weather..

Me76

I'm leaving on Sat out of Tampa for Grand Cayman/Cozumel and I am just wondering, if the current system is to develop into Isaac, and if it were to go thru the gulf, how do they do rerouting for Tampa?

Last year the Dream was rerouted last min. to the Eastern from the Western for bad weather, which makes sense, but since we are on the gulf side, and the ship goes to the west around Cuba to GC and then back the same way, just curious if anyone knows what they do in these cases. I know it's vacation, and they'll take us somewhere either way, but I just like to have alternative plans, just in case. At least look up what might be in the ports.

I'm leaving on Saturday too on the Dream for an Eastern itinerary. It isn't looking good for an Eastern.

A couple weeks ago they posted alternative itineraries for various ships because of the Tropical storm. I am going to look those up and see where they were diverted to.

Maggie

We leave on Thursday for a quick four day on the Ecstasy to Nassau and HMC - as of now, no issues....keeping a close eye out though.

Use Carnivals website, if/when there is a change they will post it there. In addition if you have a great PVP, you can call them and they will get some info for you as well.

As golfadj had mentioned, the worse case scenario would be a cruise to nowhere. We have been cruising for 25 years and have never had that happen :)

Either way a bad day at sea is much better than a good day at work - safe travels

Several years ago there was a bunch of storms that rolled through Florida to what seemed like every weekend. I was on a ship that left Miami on schedule, but one of the hurricanes beat us back to Miami and was there when we were supposed to dock. Lucky for us they kept us (and all the other ships) out to sea an extra day so we got a bonus day. Unlucky for the next group getting on as their cruise was cut short a day.

Ships leaving from the east coast of florida have more alternatives than those leaving from the gulf. Ships leaving from the gulf at most can switch two ports on your route, but they rarely (IMO) will add a new port and replace one. Almost always is a switch on your route or skip a port out of the gulf.

Last Oct my DH and I sailed the Inspiration 5-day for our honeymoon. We hit the beginning of what turned into Hurricane Rena. We missed Grand Cayman and were given Progreso in it's place. Cozumel remained the same just on a different port day. IMO, having Progreso worked out much better than an additional sea-day. The staff was very,very quick to provide new FunTimes and lists of the excursions available in Progreso.

There were a lot of complaining guests but it all goes hand-in-hand with sailing during hurricane season. We missed GC but did get to visit a Mayan ruin site and have the remainder of the day at an all inclusive beach resort. In addition, we didn't have rain in either of our ports as the bad weather was still south of us.

Best advice, roll with the punches and understand that the Captain and staff are doing what is best for the passengers and crew.

:)

Last Oct my DH and I sailed the Inspiration 5-day for our honeymoon. We hit the beginning of what turned into Hurricane Rena. We missed Grand Cayman and were given Progreso in it's place. Cozumel remained the same just on a different port day. IMO, having Progreso worked out much better than an additional sea-day. The staff was very,very quick to provide new FunTimes and lists of the excursions available in Progreso.

There were a lot of complaining guests but it all goes hand-in-hand with sailing during hurricane season. We missed GC but did get to visit a Mayan ruin site and have the remainder of the day at an all inclusive beach resort. In addition, we didn't have rain in either of our ports as the bad weather was still south of us.

Best advice, roll with the punches and understand that the Captain and staff are doing what is best for the passengers and crew.

:)

Thanks! Hurricane Rena is the reason the Dream went Eastern instead of the Western we booked last Oct. too.

I'm leaving on Saturday too on the Dream for an Eastern itinerary. It isn't looking good for an Eastern.

A couple weeks ago they posted alternative itineraries for various ships because of the Tropical storm. I am going to look those up and see where they were diverted to.

Maggie

We'll be on the Dream with you! Let me know what you find out about possible re-routing. I'll do the same! Just 5 days now!!

Maggie

We'll be on the Dream with you! Let me know what you find out about possible re-routing. I'll do the same! Just 5 days now!!

Archived