CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We need two rooms, Cape Liberty is where we debark, and we are trying to get reasonably priced accommodations and transportation. (around $150 per room or less would be great if that's available)

For $150 you are going to have to stay in the airport area. Before you decide on a hotel, you need to decide exactly what you want to do with your day. My suggestion would be:

Check out if any 911 memorial tickets are available and what time. Book them now for as late in the day as possible.

Get off the ship and take a car service to your hotel, drop off your bags, and continue on to Liberty State Park to catch the ferry to the SOL.

Take the ferry from the SOL to downtown Manhattan and walk to the 911 area.

Explore downtown. Go to the World Trade Center Path Station and take PATH back to Newark for $2.25/pp. Take 2 cabs back to your hotel. Train one stop to the airport is $8.25/pp. Then you have to take Airtrain to P4 and wait for your hotel shuttle. Cab may be a few dollars more (depends on your hotel location) but it will be worth it after a long day in NYC.

Suggestions change if you also want to go uptown to Times Square.

Be sure to eat dinner in NY.

Once you have decided on your plans, I will suggest hotels. Meanwhile look at aa.com which has the best rates I am seeing.

Edited by 138east

For $150 you are going to have to stay in the airport area. Before you decide on a hotel, you need to decide exactly what you want to do with your day. My suggestion would be:

Check out if any 911 memorial tickets are available and what time. Book them now for as late in the day as possible.

Get off the ship and take a car service to your hotel, drop off your bags, and continue on to Liberty State Park to catch the ferry to the SOL.

Take the ferry from the SOL to downtown Manhattan and walk to the 911 area.

Explore downtown. Go to the World Trade Center Path Station and take PATH back to Newark for $2.25/pp. Take 2 cabs back to your hotel. Train one stop to the airport is $8.25/pp. Then you have to take Airtrain to P4 and wait for your hotel shuttle. Cab may be a few dollars more (depends on your hotel location) but it will be worth it after a long day in NYC.

Suggestions change if you also want to go uptown to Times Square.

Be sure to eat dinner in NY.

Once you have decided on your plans, I will suggest hotels. Meanwhile look at aa.com which has the best rates I am seeing.

Thank YOU! we will look in to all of your suggestions. I see that you recommend Country Inns and Suites, so we will look into that hotel as well.

The Statue of Liberty, Liberty Island and Ellis Island are closed due to damage caused by Hurricane Sandy.

The ferry tours currently available that cruise by the SOL leave from Battery Park in Manhattan. AFAIK there are no tour boats currently available from the NJ side.

Edited by njhorseman

The Statue of Liberty, Liberty Island and Ellis Island are closed due to damage caused by Hurricane Sandy.

The ferry tours currently available that cruise by the SOL leave from Battery Park in Manhattan. AFAIK there are no tour boats currently available from the NJ side.

Just to clarify the above...there is a commuter ferry that goes from Liberty Landing Marina to Manhattan, but it's not a tour boat that cruises by the SOL itself. The harbor tour that cruises by the SOL is only available from Manhattan.

The National Parks Service has not yet announced a reopening date for the Statue of Liberty.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks. That puts a crimp in everyone's style.

OK - all is not lost. You can get the car service to drive you to the Newark or Harrison Path Station and take Path in and out of NY. From the World Trade Center you can walk down to Battery Park to get the drive by ferry.

This is a good example of why you have to plan your day before you commit to a hotel.

I'm actually liking the Doubltree for $103. It's one of the closest hotels to the port right at exit 14 of the turnpike. It's also one of the closest airport hotels to downtown Newark, which will help cab fares since it is actually in Newark and not Elizabeth. RCL frequently uses this as a precruise hotel. I did a park/sleep there several years ago when it was a Sheraton and it was fine.

OK - all is not lost. You can get the car service to drive you to the Newark or Harrison Path Station and take Path in and out of NY. From the World Trade Center you can walk down to Battery Park to get the drive by ferry.

This is a good example of why you have to plan your day before you commit to a hotel.

I'm actually liking the Doubltree for $103. It's one of the closest hotels to the port right at exit 14 of the turnpike. It's also one of the closest airport hotels to downtown Newark, which will help cab fares since it is actually in Newark and not Elizabeth. RCL frequently uses this as a precruise hotel. I did a park/sleep there several years ago when it was a Sheraton and it was fine.

May I jump in here with a question. We need a hotel for one night Dec 1st. I had planned to stay somewhere near the airport and then taxi to the dock. If I understood what you just said, the Doubletree is closer to the dock and thus lower cab fees. Would it provide free airport shuttle pickup? This could cut transportation costs. We are arriving around 5 or so. I am not planning on seeing anything but will need to find dinner.

Unfortunately for you, the cab fees I was talking about for the OP is the price from the hotel to the train station in downtown Newark. They may be doing a hotel drive by to get rid of luggage after they disembark so it is a bit extra distance, time and possibly money to go to exit 13a on the south side of the airport and then retrace their steps back to go to downtown Newark. Since the hotel is closer to downtown Newark, it is likely they will pay less for a cab back to the hotel.

Having said all that, the Doubletree would be fine for you if you're trying to keep costs down. It is a full service hotel with a pool in the lobby. Next door is the Ramada which has Teddy's sports bar. To control your transportation costs to the port, you should get some car service quotes so you have a fixed rate. Just getting a random cab is not the best way to do it.

Thank you again. I'm already lost! lol. We were hoping that Royal Caribbean would offer some type of tour that would take us to a couple of landmarks, and then be able to get a shuttle (when they drop us off at the airport) to whatever hotel we are staying at. There website doesn't show anything at this time tho.

Well, if they do offer a tour, it will be about $100/pp for about 4 hours. According to the description they would take you to the Liberty State Park area to get on a private water taxi to go around the Statue of liberty. You would get off in downtown NY and have a guided tour walk from Battery Park to the 911 Memorial via Wall St. After visiting the 911 memorial you would be bussed back to the airport.

With a group of 6 you can easily do a similar trip for a lot less money on.your own. The Path train ride from Newark to World Trade Center is 22 minutes and costs $2.25/pp. If you decide to go uptown as well, you can take the train ($5) or Path back to Newark from the New York Penn Station area. Lots of options using downtown Newark as a hub.

Well, if they do offer a tour, it will be about $100/pp for about 4 hours. According to the description they would take you to the Liberty State Park area to get on a private water taxi to go around the Statue of liberty. You would get off in downtown NY and have a guided tour walk from Battery Park to the 911 Memorial via Wall St. After visiting the 911 memorial you would be bussed back to the airport.

With a group of 6 you can easily do a similar trip for a lot less money on.your own. The Path train ride from Newark to World Trade Center is 22 minutes and costs $2.25/pp. If you decide to go uptown as well, you can take the train ($5) or Path back to Newark from the New York Penn Station area. Lots of options using downtown Newark as a hub.

Thanks again for all your info!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi We are looking to do a day tour of NYC. after our cruise from the Explorer of the Seas we arive back on Saturday.

We will have a car. Would like to find a hotel that has parking and also walking distance to the train or boat into NYC. The next day we would drive back to Boston.

You didn't specify a budget. On Hotwire for 6/22 there is a 3* hotel in Secaucus for $85 with a 85% approval rating. Can't be sure which hotel this is, but it will have free parking and the worst you will have to do is to drive over to Secaucus Junction train station and pay to park while you take the train into NY Penn Station. The best you could do would be to have bus service within walking distance of the hotel. It's a gamble, but it's a really inexpensive 3* hotel which will have good NYC transportation options.

Let me check the ferry schedules - many of them are commuter ferries - weekend service is limited. I'm not sure they will suit for a late night return from Manhattan. Your best choice will be either NJ Transit train or Path. Both of these run late on a Saturday night and will be well traveled at that hour. I think I saw Newark Penn Station Hilton for a reasonable price somewhere for your date. Positives would be that it is right across the street from Newark Penn Station and has a connecting walkway. Negatives would be that it is in downtown Newark and you would have to pay to park.

How much time do you want to spend in NYC? Another option would be to drive to Rye NY and stay at the Marriott Courtyard which is within walking distance of the Rye train station. This would position you an hour closer to home the following morning and it is a much nicer more suburban area.

closer to homesounds great. We stayed there last fall for a wedding in the area.How far away is the train station does it run late.The price is a little high right now.

Thanks for all your help you are the best,

If you think of any other ideas please let me know

You could also check out Stamford for less expensive hotels and potentially better train service. Late night trains run Until about 1:30 am. I have done very well on Hotwire with Stamford 3*+ hotels. I once stayed in the Hampton Inn and once at the Sheraton for under $100. You could easiy drive and pay to park at the station - most hotels are only a few blocks away, but you wouldn't want to walk it late at night. We have relatives in that area and have often had to find a room, so I've stayed in quite a few places between Rye and Stamford over the years.

Our plans from Cape Liberty have changed. We were getting picked up at the port, but now we need shuttle service on a Sunday from pier to EWR. Somehwere I read that there local shuttle services when you exit the ship that cost approx. $19 pp to EWR. Can you confirm

Our plans from Cape Liberty have changed. We were getting picked up at the port, but now we need shuttle service on a Sunday from pier to EWR. Somehwere I read that there local shuttle services when you exit the ship that cost approx. $19 pp to EWR. Can you confirm

Yes, there is shared ride shuttle service available from the port to EWR. At last report the cost was $16 pp. After you exit the terminal, turn left and they'll be parked in the stalls that are closest to the taxi waiting area.

Yes, there is shared ride shuttle service available from the port to EWR. At last report the cost was $16 pp. After you exit the terminal, turn left and they'll be parked in the stalls that are closest to the taxi waiting area.

Thank you, your input and advice and that of others on these forums is very much appreciated.

Is there a way to reserve the shuttle in advance? I am just a Nervous Nellie about making our flight home. We are flying United at 12:55 pm. Celebrity will do it for $28.50, but will not accept a reservation for a transfer unless you tell them your flight leaves at 1pm or later. I like to get there as early as possible. You never know what may happen.

Relax. You will be fine. You are arriving early on a Sunday morning. EWR is 20 minutes from the port on the NJ Turnpike.

Providing transportation for arriving cruisers is big business in Bayonne, particularly on a Sunday morning when there is absolutely nothing else going on. It will be way more complicated to hook up with a prearranged ride than it will be to get off the ship, make a left coming out of customs, walk to the end of the tent, and tell the dispatcher where you want to go.

If you're feeling nervous, go to guest services and ask for an early departure time. I've sailed from Bayonne 3 times this past year and I've always been off the ship and through customs by 9:30 in plenty of time to meet up with my, cruise bus. They have to get folks out of there because the next cruisers start arriving around 10 am.