CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

The prices are close. The best deal in a reasonable hotel that I am seeing is the Doubletree on aa.com for about $117 tax incl. I have also stayed at this property and it was fine, but no breakfast. It's a full service hotel with a nice lobby that has a pool in it.

This hotel is on the north side of the airport and is closer to Newark Penn Station and pier. It would be possible to take a local bus from in front of the hotel to Newark Penn Station to pick up the NY train, which costs $5 from downtown Newark instead of the $12.50 from the airport station. It would also be possible to take a cab between the hotel and Newark Penn Station. Regardless of which hotl you choose, if you're really tired coming back from NYC, a cab from Newark Penn Station is a good option.

Thanks! I didn't think to check an airline site for hotel. The doubletree is now showing about the same price as the other two. However, The Courtyard at the airport location is showing up at $126 total. Any thoughts or experience on that hotel?

Just realized that there are two courtyards, this one is at 600 routes 1 & 9 south. (Newark Airport and Port Newark).

Edited by danfiveoh

Hey everyone I have a Question regarding security. I will be traveling in May on RCCL.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to bring on water bottles in their luggage or carry ons.. In the past I have been able to bring a 6 bottle case of water and even had some water bottles filled w liquor on a NCL cruise out ofNYC and it wasn't a problem.

Just wondering what the deal is with RCCL and Cape liberty port since its my first time with both.

Thanks in advance.

we went on explorer for thanksgiving 2012 and i brought a 6 pack of water, at 6 pack of diet dr pepper and a 4 pack of monsters and they all arrived in the room fine.

we went on explorer for thanksgiving 2012 and i brought a 6 pack of water, at 6 pack of diet dr pepper and a 4 pack of monsters and they all arrived in the room fine.

Omg awesome!! Thanks for your response. Did you just stick luggage tags on the cases or were they inside your suitcase?

megr1125 and 138 east

Thanks for all your help. I had posted (and you gave me lots of info) about hotels in Newark. I discovered this thread yesterday and have finally read all the posts. I was set for the Best Western Plus...Newark Airport, but it sounds like a poor choice,now, with nothing around it like restaurants etc.

Then we rechecked the Country Inn and Suites on Glimcher etc.,for senior rate of $119 with the option of the $35 pp return shuttle fee to the cruiseport and then airport for a total of minimally, $189 pre-tax. At this time, we plan to take the ship's tour after the cruise which has an airport drop off, so the return shuttle price is a waste.

And now I see the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island and it sounds good. An advance purchase room is $160 (+tax = $187) and includes both airport and cruise port shuttles as has been noted on this thread. We still plan on the ship's excursion, (or one like it that is also mentioned on this thread) so we only need a one-way port shuttle drop off. And when I book the hotel, I will reserve the time needed for the airport shuttle, as mentioned on this thread and the H.G.Inn website.

All of this information is a result of checking the sites that you two and others have mentioned on this thread. So again, thank you for all your assistance.

I do have other questions though:

If we take the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island, would we have much trouble obtaining a tour of NYC during the day? (On my own thread, I indicated a 7:00 a.m arrival at Newark Airport.)

We arrive on United Airlines and I presume that we need to get to the oft-mentioned P4 area for the hotel shuttle. It seems that, possibly, we need to get ourselves transported to another terminal for that. Am I correct and, if so, what do I do about that? (I have no idea which terminal United uses.)

regards,

Bill

Edited by spearmint

Did you check the Hampton Inn on Staten Island for your date? Usually it is less that the Hilton Garden and includes the same free shuttle.

Getting into NYC from Staten Island is more complicated. The hotel shuttle will take you to the Staten Island ferry, but perhaps not on the schedule you would like. The free ferry will leave you in downtown Manhattan. Coming back you may run into pickup timing problems by the hotel shuttle, so you should plan on a cab. It's a time consuming trip that I just warned someone else about, but the other folks have a primary objective of riding the Staten Island Ferry.

Personally, for a senior rate of $119, I'd stay at Country Inns, skip their shuttle, and arrange port transportation through Independent driver - 888-816-0973 for about $45.

I'd keep it simple and focus on your objectives for the day. The hotel is important, but not your primary objective. You have limited time and you will waste more of it if you stay on Staten Island and will increase your overall stress level.

It doesn't matter what terminal Unitd uses. You take the elevator or escalator all the way up to the Airtrain monorail and follow the signs for P4.

Edited by 138east

Did you check the Hampton Inn on Staten Island for your date? Usually it is less that the Hilton Garden and includes the same free shuttle.

Getting into NYC from Staten Island is more complicated. The hotel shuttle will take you to the Staten Island ferry, but perhaps not on the schedule you would like. The free ferry will leave you in downtown Manhattan. Coming back you may run into pickup timing problems by the hotel shuttle, so you should plan on a cab. It's a time consuming trip that I just warned someone else about, but the other folks have a primary objective of riding the Staten Island Ferry.

Personally, for a senior rate of $119, I'd stay at Country Inns, skip their shuttle, and arrange port transportation through Independent driver - 888-816-0973 for about $45.

I'd keep it simple and focus on your objectives for the day. The hotel is important, but not your primary objective. You have limited time and you will waste more of it if you stay on Staten Island and will increase your overall stress level.

It doesn't matter what terminal Unitd uses. You take the elevator or escalator all the way up to the Airtrain monorail and follow the signs for P4.

Thanks again 123east. Yep. Lost focus for a moment...too many possibilities running around in my head, I guess.

Today, I did exactly as you suggested and booked into the Country Inn and Suites as well as hiring Independent Driver. Have confirmation for the hotel but am still waiting for a confirmation number for I. Driver via email. They quoted $45 for the two of us, including tolls, but not tips. They take cash or credit card, but there is an extra $5 for credit card use, a bit of information that I thought that I would pass on to you and other posters.

It is so nice to have the bases covered. What a relief! Now we can think about touring NYC in some manner.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on the EOS on June 8, 2013. We are flying into Newark airport June 7th around 2 pm. Need a hotel near a grocery store to pick up soda for the cruise. Considering staying at the Doubletree in Jersey City; but, would appreciate other recommendations. Would also like to know who we contact to arrange transport from the airport to the hotel as well as from the hotel to the pier and cost.

Also, will we have time to go into Manhattan (WTC/Wall Street area)? I know the SOL/Ellis Island is closed until July so, that is out and I have already been to the Empire State Building/Times Square in NYC. Suggestions?

You need to decide on a hotel first. You can always arrange transportation and if you stay in Jersey City, you also have the option of taking the light rail to Bayonne for $2.10/pp and calling a cab for the 2 mile ride into the port for $10. If you stay at the airport, there are no grocery stores. You would have to take a cab to downtown Elizabeth to find a store.

On kayak I'm seeing Candlewood Suites for $148, the Doubletree for $202, the Westin for $208, and The Courtyard for $204. The Doubletree is a named hotel on Hotwire for $180. There may be more deals out there.

The advantage to staying in the Newport area is the Path transportation into NYC. You can easily hop into the World Trade Center area for the evening.

I think you're looking at about $50 to go from the airport to Jersey City and from Jersey City to Bayonne by car service.

Thanks 138 East for your quick response. So, we are looking at $250+ for a hotel and transportation from the airport to the hotel. Are there other hotels you would recommend for us that have access to a grocery store, public transportation into Manhattan, and close to the pier? Obviously, cost is a factor but convenience, ease of transportation is our biggest concerns since we aren't really city people.

If I use Hotwire for a hotel in Newark, what area would I ask for? And, do you have the taxi number I would call if I use the light rail to get from Jersey City to Bayonne? Also, we have never traveled using a train/light rail transportation and we will have 2 suitcases + carry ons. Is the lightrail suitcase friendly?

You do not want to use Hotwire for a Newark hotel. Newark is a highly urban industrial area and you MUST be selective about the hotel you choose.

Right this minute there is a 4* hotel in the Jersey City area for $115. This could be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, the Hyatt, the Westin, or the W in Hoboken.

From the Sheraton, which is right at the Lincoln Tunnel, you could take a quick bus ride into Manhattan. The other hotels have access to Path. They all also have access to the light rail. The only down side to picking this would be that the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is further north closer to midtown. You could take the bus to Port Authority and the subway downtown, or you can take the light rail to Hoboken or Exchange Place and Path to the World Trade Center.

If you go into NY, you will have access to grocery stores for sure.

The light rail is suitcase friendly and you can roll your bags right on and off. I will search out the cab phone number as well as recent posts describing travel by light rail. I've done it myself from New York with a rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack.

Hi,

Leaving from cape liberty cruise port in october 2013.

Looking for an alterative to driving.

I read so much info I am now confussed and need of hand holding as I never have taken a train.

My quiestions:

I read on cc that there is a shared shuttle that runs from nwk to cape liberty for $15.00. Where would I get on this at the airport?

Is it better for us to:

Take amtrak from phila to ewr, monorail to shuttle stop. Or take amrtrak to nwk? and if so where do I catch path to exchange place in jersey city?

from that stop how do I catch the bregen light rail to 34th st bayonne?

Once there how do I get a cab to port?

how often does the path and light rail run?

Edited by Cruise Girl Forever

@Cruise Girl Forever:

You asked a lot of questions here that entail a few variables like time and day...

A lot of the stuff you can find here:

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Including the light rail/train/bus map/sched, etc.

Amtrak is here:

http://www.amtrak.com/home

And, probably the most useful is google (our friend)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Newark+Penn+Station&daddr=E+34th+Street+HBLR+Station,+Bayonne,+NJ&hl=en&sll=40.672184,-74.106581&sspn=0.003084,0.006968&geocode=FfKPbQId8lWU-ynTx6t2hFPCiTG6OvSTWB8lQw%3BFSKabAIdmzWV-ymZ0CuM7FHCiTGgEVCtxp5SyQ&oq=E+34th+Street+HBLR+Station&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&z=13&start=0

(Cut and paste if the link doesn't work or just check the route on maps.google.com and use the bus icon to find the "E 34th Street HBLR Station, Bayonne, NJ" from Newark Penn Station. It's about 45 mins total, but that's on a Tuesday, not Saturday.)

It's a very short walk (Once you get up the mile long elevators from the PATH train) to the light rail. There's a hyatt-regency right there which is nice, but probably pricey. If you spend the night, you can take the PATH right into downtown. I don't know, but maybe they even have a shuttle to take you to the cruise port, but YMMV. At that price, they should, but hey, it's New York! (Sort of)

And, at the end, you'll have to arrange a cab pickup from the light rail to the pier.

Having said all that, my advice would be to get to the hyatt, and cab or shuttle it.

Edited by marynjohn

Hi,

Leaving from cape liberty cruise port in october 2013.

Looking for an alterative to driving.

I read so much info I am now confussed and need of hand holding as I never have taken a train.

My quiestions:

I read on cc that there is a shared shuttle that runs from nwk to cape liberty for $15.00. Where would I get on this at the airport? No shared shuttle from the airport to the port. Only the other way

Is it better for us to:

Take amtrak from phila to ewr, monorail to shuttle stop. Or take amrtrak to nwk? and if so where do I catch path to exchange place in jersey city?

from that stop how do I catch the bregen light rail to 34th st bayonne?

Once there how do I get a cab to port?

how often does the path and light rail run?

Are you planning to come up on Sunday morning or are you looking for a hotel the night before? You can take Amtrak to Newark Penn Station and take a cab to the port for about $50-55. If money is a concern, I'd take Septa to Trenton and transfer across the track to the Train to Newark and take a cab to save money rather than take Amtrak and path and the light rail and a cab. All this can be priced out - only you can decide where you want to spend your money.

Edited by 138east

We are booked on RCCL out of Port Liberty 10/20. We are looking at flying out of Detroit that morning due into Laguardia 10:30 am. (We usually fly in a day early, but U of Michigan game is on the 19th. ) We have never cruised out of Port Liberty and I am wondering if this seems possible. How long does it take to get to Port Liberty from LGA and can we book transportation from there? Thanks so much!

That's cutting it really close. If the ship leaves at 4 pm, the TSA cutoff time is 2:30. Any kind of airline or traffic delay could cause you to miss the ship. Any chance you can fly to Newark and come in earlier?