CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We just returned from our Celebrity Summit cruise departing Cape Liberty. Maybe my few observations are already contained in this thread but I wasn't going to read all 675 posts to find out so here goes:

1. We booked the Marriott right in the airport with Amex points, but I believe that the rate is about $175. This hotel is very clean and comfortable and the staff could not have been more accommodating. The free shuttle from the airport is one floor up from baggage claim and easy to find.

2. I found a restaurant on another travel website and made a reservation for four of us. The food was so great. It is called "The Spanish Tavern"; it is about 5 or 6 miles from the airport. I think the hotel can arrange a ride but I am not positive on that. The meat, fish and wine selections are outstanding although the tables are a little close together - but it is really very good.

3. When we were ready to depart the hotel for the port at 11:30 AM Sunday, there were no taxis in the hotel entrance so we booked a limo driver who was there and available. He quoted the same rate as a taxi - $50. En-route the eastbound bridge/highway to the port was under construction and at an absolute standstill. He wisely exited, drove north for about 15 minutes and came across another bridge and then south to the port. He saved a lot of time; 15 minutes after arrival, we were onboard.

4. We made arrangements for him to pick us up at disembarkation; his fare was only $15 more than the taxi fare to EWR. I texted him our estimated ship exit time early in the morning and he was there waiting for us when we walked out at 8:30 AM. In about 15 minutes, we were at the airport. The company name is JM Limo. We were very glad we made this choice since there was not one taxi anywhere in sight when we walked out of the terminal. I don't know if this changes as more passengers exit but I have no idea how we would have gotten to the airport when we walked out of that building.

5. Finally, there was some sort of TSA work slowdown when we arrived at Terminal A Saturday afternoon. The lines for departing passenger going through security were horrendous We fretted about this a little but when we left on Sunday morning, it was much easier than we anticipated.

Cape Liberty may be a great choice for passengers driving and parking from the region but for passengers flying in, it is a little bit more complicated than some of the other ports. Still, the people at the port are very helpful and friendly and it is great to support the local economy.

Thanks

Glad you had such a good trip. Before one cruise I also went with some other cruisers to the Spanish Tavern in the Ironbound Area of downtown Newark. It was a lot of fun.

Just a note about exiting from the cruise terminal. You would never just walk out of the terminal and see a cab waiting there for a fare. The dispatcher is all the way at the end of the tent to the left and you go down there and tell him what you need. The terminal area is busy and crowded, so cabs, vans, limos, etc park out in the cell phone area and pull in as they are needed. It is big business for the local area and the dispatcher makes it happen for everyone.

138 - I notice that you're from Boston. We are on a September cruise out of Beantown and staying at the Seaport Hotel at the habor. If you have any tips on dining or manuvering around while there, it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Which cruise are you on? I'm on the Brilliance TA arriving in Boston Sep 15. It will be my first time at Black Falcon inside the terminal - I've cruised primarily out of Bayonne in recent years.

I used to work right next to the Seaport Hotel. It's a great choice. Easy cab from the airport and to the cruise terminal. It also has the Silver Line right there, so it's an easy $2.50 ride right from the Logan terminal to the hotel and very manageable with luggage. The Silver Line will also take you right to Black Falcon Terminal in one direction and into South Station in downtown Boston in the other direction.

The area has developed a lot in the last few years and now there is a nice selection of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

What are you thinking of doing in Boston? How much time do you have and what days of the week?

Thanks for your help. You do a great service for people new to the area.

I booked the Country Inn & Suites. Just as a matter of info, they have a senior citizens rate of $114.

Thanks again,

Mike Parker

Hi Mike,

Country Suites for $114.00? Is this hotel near Newark (EWR) New Jersey airport?

Terry (saddlebrooke)

Is Country Suites the hotel that is difficult to get to from the highway? I remember staying at a hotel in that area about 6 years ago and I kept on missing the actual road to get there. I ask because I booked it for next week and if it is I was wondering if anyone could give some tips on not driving around in circles. ha

Thanks!

Country Inns is on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth on the southeast side of the airport. It's a quick drive in the hotel shuttle on local streets and is one of the closest hotels. The roads around the airport are a spaghetti-like mess, so even though other hotels might appear to be closer to the terminals, getting to them can be a longer drive on ramps and access roads. Country Inns also has good access to the turnpike at exit 13A and is across the street from Jersey Gardens Mall.

Country Inns is on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth on the southeast side of the airport. It's a quick drive in the hotel shuttle on local streets and is one of the closest hotels. The roads around the airport are a spaghetti-like mess, so even though other hotels might appear to be closer to the terminals, getting to them can be a longer drive on ramps and access roads. Country Inns also has good access to the turnpike at exit 13A and is across the street from Jersey Gardens Mall.

Thanks. I'm directionally challenged even with a GPS. I think my GPS wasn't picking the correct exit/road the last time I stayed there.... Or maybe it was user error! :)

Thanks for your help. You do a great service for people new to the area.

I booked the Country Inn & Suites. Just as a matter of info, they have a senior citizens rate of $114.

Thanks again,

Mike Parker

Hi Mike, wow...you got a great rate. When are you staying there?

Looking at the prices for August? SR rate is 177.00.......

Lois - what date are you looking for in August?

Hi Carol, I have a room at Hampton Inn Staten Island but am always

looking around;).....staying up there on Saturday Night, August 3rd.

You don't have a car. Hampton Inn will likely be the cheapest for you because of the port transportation. What is your room rate?

Oh...ok...no biggie..I am fine with what I have...I am paying 175.00

with the shuttle to the hotel and the shuttle to the ship.

But when I saw 117.00 at the CountryInn? That is VERY LOW.

Does anyone have the phone number of Independent Driver? We need transportation from the Springhill Suites by Marriott (about 4 miles for the airport) to the port and from the port back to the Newark airport. I have hear that there is a shuttle as that may be another possiblity.

Thanks for your help!

Saddlebrooke (Terry and Judy)

Does anyone have the phone number of Independent Driver? We need transportation from the Springhill Suites by Marriott (about 4 miles for the airport) to the port and from the port back to the Newark airport. I have hear that there is a shuttle as that may be another possiblity.

Thanks for your help!

Saddlebrooke (Terry and Judy)

Carol, have another question for you.......

Did I see you say a while back that you stayed at FAIRFIELD INN

near the airport?

The address is 618-50 US Highway 1 & 9 South · Newark.

They have a complimentary shuttle to the hotel.

They have rooms with AAA for 112.00......if I book this instead

of Hampton Staten Island and used Indpendent driver? Looking for

some input. (ID) would be the extra cost as opposed to Hampton

offering transportation to the ship.

Edited by Lois R

Interesting you should ask that question. I actually was booked at the Hampton Inn three years ago and switched to the park/sleep at the Fairfield because of Independent Driver. Another factor for me was that I live in NE and staying at EWR is at least 20-30 minutes closer to home, which is a lot on a 4+ hour drive.

I'm assuming you are flying out and would not take the Hampton shuttle back to Staten Island and then on to the airport?

What I did was to book the Fairfield and then talk it up on my roll call. The rate in 2011 was $40 for up to 4 people to get to the port, so I figured if I could get three more people, it would be $10. In the end we had at least 10-12 of us staying there and I went to the port at 10 am with 6 other folks who were all glad to be paying $10/pp. We did the same thing coming back since most of us had cars parked at the Fairfield. It's a couple of dollars more now, but it's still a good deal. You can arrange your transport for whatever time you choose instead of being dependent on a hotel shuttle schedule.

You should know that the Fairfield offers breakfast, but has no restaurant. There is a restaurant next door in the Courtyard plus tons of take out menus in the lobby. I hooked up with 4 folks from Canada and we drove into downtown Newark to eat Spanish/Portuguese food in the Ironbound District. The Fairfield has a spacious lobby area and their breakfast area is part of that with tables and chairs available 7x24. Many of the cruisers met over breakfast in the morning.

Interesting you should ask that question. I actually was booked at the Hampton Inn three years ago and switched to the park/sleep at the Fairfield because of Independent Driver. Another factor for me was that I live in NE and staying at EWR is at least 20-30 minutes closer to home, which is a lot on a 4+ hour drive.

I'm assuming you are flying out and would not take the Hampton shuttle back to Staten Island and then on to the airport?

What I did was to book the Fairfield and then talk it up on my roll call. The rate in 2011 was $40 for up to 4 people to get to the port, so I figured if I could get three more people, it would be $10. In the end we had at least 10-12 of us staying there and I went to the port at 10 am with 6 other folks who were all glad to be paying $10/pp. We did the same thing coming back since most of us had cars parked at the Fairfield. It's a couple of dollars more now, but it's still a good deal. You can arrange your transport for whatever time you choose instead of being dependent on a hotel shuttle schedule.

You should know that the Fairfield offers breakfast, but has no restaurant. There is a restaurant next door in the Courtyard plus tons of take out menus in the lobby. I hooked up with 4 folks from Canada and we drove into downtown Newark to eat Spanish/Portuguese food in the Ironbound District. The Fairfield has a spacious lobby area and their breakfast area is part of that with tables and chairs available 7x24. Many of the cruisers met over breakfast in the morning.

Hi Carol, 1) you are correct..I am not going back to the Hampton

after the cruise.....going to the airport.

2) My roll call is deader than a doornail...less than 70 total postings:rolleyes:

so I am not really into asking anyone about their pre-cruise plans.

I was supposed to use ID back in 2011 and they were very nice

on the phone. My Dad died 4 days before the cruise and so I had

to cancel.

I guess I could post what I am doing though and see if someone responds....

No harm in that.......

3) so it is probably 6 of 1, or 1/2 dozen of the other which to choose.

4)...oh I did read on the Fairfield website for that hotel they offer

a shuttle to "The Spanish Tavern" for dinner:) looks like a good place

for dinner!

Edited by Lois R

Spanish Tavern would be fine. It's better than sitting around the hotel looking at the Courtyard or Springhill Suites and eating Chinese takeout.

I'd keep posting on your roll call looking for others. Post the link to pictures of the hotel. Post the rates - these are really good rates for what I've been seeing for EWR recently. See if you can find out if they offer a private park/sleep - I haven't seen them on any park sleep sites for a while. Talk about the shuttle to Spanish Tavern and post a link to that. One of the biggest problems with the airport area is lack of interesting food. I can understand the lack, but ....there's still no place interesting to eat except in downtown Newark.

Are you on Celebrity? I have one X cruise booked and the roll call is dead. My Brilliance cruise has 4000+ posts. The Two Navigator cruise are also busy - the Nov TA going to Texas is really crazy. The X cruise is making me nervous because of the inactivity. I would think folks doing the Panama Canal would be more engaged.

Spanish Tavern would be fine. It's better than sitting around the hotel looking at the Courtyard or Springhill Suites and eating Chinese takeout.

I'd keep posting on your roll call looking for others. Post the link to pictures of the hotel. Post the rates - these are really good rates for what I've been seeing for EWR recently. See if you can find out if they offer a private park/sleep - I haven't seen them on any park sleep sites for a while. Talk about the shuttle to Spanish Tavern and post a link to that. One of the biggest problems with the airport area is lack of interesting food. I can understand the lack, but ....there's still no place interesting to eat except in downtown Newark.

Are you on Celebrity? I have one X cruise booked and the roll call is dead. My Brilliance cruise has 4000+ posts. The Two Navigator cruise are also busy - the Nov TA going to Texas is really crazy. The X cruise is making me nervous because of the inactivity. I would think folks doing the Panama Canal would be more engaged.

Hi, yes, going on Celebrity. I always sail with them so please don't

be nervous:). I have been sailing with them for 10 years and a

slow roll call has never affected my on board cruise experience:D

Some roll calls are slow....I think Royal has more because they just

have more ships.

As for posting on mine for sharing a ride? If I have to pay the 45.00

or whatever it is on my own? That is ok with me.;) Not really

caring to post all that information. Posting for no responses doesn't

do anything for me...if that makes sense.

Can anyone help me out please, I am looking at the Country Inn & Suites Elizabeth,NJ for next year but I need a suite with the sofa bed in the living room and I wondered if anyone has had one of these at this hotel ?

If so, is it similar to the set up at Embassy Suites in FLL where if you need to go to the bathroom you have to enter the bedroom or is it like the Homewood Suites in Miami set up where the bathroom is actually separate. Hope that makes sense :o

Many thanks.