CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Well, I called today to the Hampton Inn Staten Island directly to make a reservation. I was told that they discontinued the stay/park/cruise package at the Hampton Inn and no longer offer it. However, Hilton Garden Inn still has the package and they are right next door to the Hampton. But the bad news is that the Hilton is all booked for the date we need. Does anyone know of another hotel near that has a package with the room-parking-shuttle to Cape Liberty Port?

Your real problem is finding a room for 5 people with parking. The park/sleep hotels only have rooms for four people. Booking transportation in the Newark Airport area is easy - there is plenty of it. I'd look at Independent driver - 888-816-0973 about 4-6 weeks out for a reasonable transportation option.

Your most reasonable park/sleep option is trinity reservations.com - the Ramada is $123 tax included which would be $246 plus about $110 rt for Indoendent Drive to and from the port.

Your real problem is finding a room for 5 people with parking. The park/sleep hotels only have rooms for four people. Booking transportation in the Newark Airport area is easy - there is plenty of it. I'd look at Independent driver - 888-816-0973 about 4-6 weeks out for a reasonable transportation option.

Your most reasonable park/sleep option is trinity reservations.com - the Ramada is $123 tax included which would be $246 plus about $110 rt for Indoendent Drive to and from the port.

Thank you so much for the info. I was afraid we would have to drive in that day. We are coming from Ohio and it is a 6 hour drive for us. I know it is doable but considering we don't know what the weather will be like in December I feel more comfortable coming in a day early.

Thank you so much for the info. I was afraid we would have to drive in that day. We are coming from Ohio and it is a 6 hour drive for us. I know it is doable but considering we don't know what the weather will be like in December I feel more comfortable coming in a day early.

WOW 6 hours from Ohio? It's a 6 hour drive from Pittsburgh and we're 2 hours east of Cleveland Ohio. So, the question is, what part of Ohio?

We're taking Explorer out of Cape Liberty on Friday 3/21/14 at 4pm and returning Saturday 3/29/14 at 8am. We plan to drive from Philly and park at the port. Would someone please help us with directions?

We have come up with the following directions (so far) to the port:

Take NJ Turnpike North to Exit 14a

(The following courtesy of forum member 138east from a prior post - thank you!)

Exit 14A is the Bayonne exit. You cross the toll plaza and take the ramp that curves up and left. Stay to the right and go right at every opportunity. At the first traffic light at route 440 turn left, stay left and make a left at the first light. This will take you into the port.

How best can we get back on the NJ Turnpike southbound?

Do any parking spaces in the lot make it easier to exit the port when it's time to go home?

Thanks!

WOW 6 hours from Ohio? It's a 6 hour drive from Pittsburgh and we're 2 hours east of Cleveland Ohio. So, the question is, what part of Ohio?

We live in Kent, Ohio. Mapquest says 7 hours. We take the turnpike straight across. I guess it took us 6 1/2 to 7 hours. It was a really easy drive. I'm just nervous about the time of year we are going. You never know in December what it will be like. That's why I like going a day before.

You come back out the port road and make a right onto route 440. Follow the signs to the turnpike and go towards Newark. When you cross the bridge, stay in the right lane and watch carefully for the Turnoike south signs.

If you park in the first section of the parking lot, you may find it easier to get out. However, if you go into the first lot when you arrive, make a left about halfway through, and go through the opening in the chain link fence to cross to the other lot, you will be closer to the terminal when you disembark and can easily roll your luggage to your car. I've never had a problem getting out. The problems are with the traffic backup getting in.

When we disembark the Summit on August 11, we'll be driving straight back to Maine from the pier. Can you help me with the shortest route? We'll be aiming for (eventually) I-84 in Connecticut and on from there.

Thanks!

Jane

Sunday morning should be a good drive. Coming out of the port you make a right onto 440 and follow the signs to the NJ Turnpike. Go west towards Newark and when you get across the bridge, stay to the right and follow the signs to the turnpike north. When the turnpike splits, follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel but at the toll barrier stay to the left and follow the signs to the George Washington Bridge.

If you end up on the upper level, get into the right lane and take the very first exit which is the Henry Hudson Parkway where you go north. If you are on the lower level, get into the left lane and take the very first exit to the Henry Hudson Parkway where you go north. This road has a $4 toll.

When the road crosses from NYC into Yonkers, it becomes the Saw Mill River Parkway. Stay to the right and take Exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway. Stay to the left and follow the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway North.

The Hutchinson River Parkway becomes the Merritt Parkway when you cross into Connecticut. Stay on it all the way to the end where it merges with I91 north after exit 67. Take I91 to exit 29 Hartford where you follow the signs to I84 East. This will take you to the Mass Pike and on up to Maine via I495 or I95/128.

For a pit stop try Rein's Deli in Vernon CT at exit 65 on I84 east. It's a couple of blocks from the exit, but definitely worth it -

http://www.reinsdeli.com/ordereze/Directions.aspx

When you get off exit 65 eastbound you merge onto route 30. Follow this up several blocks and make a left at the light by the Comfort Inn. Reins is on the corner at the back of the strip mall.

Sunday morning should be a good drive. Coming out of the port you make a right onto 440 and follow the signs to the NJ Turnpike. Go west towards Newark and when you get across the bridge, stay to the right and follow the signs to the turnpike north. When the turnpike splits, follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel but at the toll barrier stay to the left and follow the signs to the George Washington Bridge.

If you end up on the upper level, get into the right lane and take the very first exit which is the Henry Hudson Parkway where you go north. If you are on the lower level, get into the left lane and take the very first exit to the Henry Hudson Parkway where you go north. This road has a $4 toll.

When the road crosses from NYC into Yonkers, it becomes the Saw Mill River Parkway. Stay to the right and take Exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway. Stay to the left and follow the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway North.

The Hutchinson River Parkway becomes the Merritt Parkway when you cross into Connecticut. Stay on it all the way to the end where it merges with I91 north after exit 67. Take I91 to exit 29 Hartford where you follow the signs to I84 East. This will take you to the Mass Pike and on up to Maine via I495 or I95/128.

For a pit stop try Rein's Deli in Vernon CT at exit 65 on I84 east. It's a couple of blocks from the exit, but definitely worth it -

http://www.reinsdeli.com/ordereze/Directions.aspx

When you get off exit 65 eastbound you merge onto route 30. Follow this up several blocks and make a left at the light by the Comfort Inn. Reins is on the corner at the back of the strip mall.

Thanks! Our son & daughter will be driving...hopefully by being a Sunday morning they won't get too crazy getting out of the city area!

We usually stop at The Traveler Book Restaurant in Union, CT (exit 74)....but the deli sounds interesting. Being only an hour + off the ship, we'll most likely be looking for breakfast...if anything.

I'll print out your directions...

Coming down, we're heading to my brother's in Highland Mills, NY on Saturday, and driving down from there Sunday morning. That should just be the Thruway to the Turnpike, and then your directions from exit 14A.

Kids & grandkids are real excited about this cruise!

Jane

We disembark from Port Liberty after our Summit cruise and am wondering will there be plentiful taxis available or would it be wise to arrange private transport in advance.

There are plenty of taxis, but if you're going to New York such as LGA or JFK (as opposed to someplace in nearby NJ such as EWR) it's best to book a car service.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks! We are going back to EWR for our flight home so as long as there are taxis available at the port when we disembark that should be fine. Have never sailed out of Bayonne before so no idea what it is like.

Thanks! We are going back to EWR for our flight home so as long as there are taxis available at the port when we disembark that should be fine. Have never sailed out of Bayonne before so no idea what it is like.

If you wanted to save a few dollars, there are also shared ride vans that shuttle passengers from the port to EWR for about $16 per person. A taxi will cost about $50 (for the car, not per person) plus tip.

I've been following this thread for a long time, but have kind of forgotten some of the recommendations. Without redoing research, I seem to remember Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. Is this the right one or is there also another? We are flying in Dec 1st for a Dec 2nd cruise (EWR). No car. Just want a no fuss no muss stay with a way to get from airport to hotel and then to dock. Thanks.

How do you access the shared ride vans? Are they just parked/lined up as you exit the port or do you have to arrange in advance.

No advance reservations. Just make a left turn after you walk out of the terminal building...they're parked in the stalls near where the taxis are dispatched.

I've been following this thread for a long time, but have kind of forgotten some of the recommendations. Without redoing research, I seem to remember Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. Is this the right one or is there also another? We are flying in Dec 1st for a Dec 2nd cruise (EWR). No car. Just want a no fuss no muss stay with a way to get from airport to hotel and then to dock. Thanks.

Yes...the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth is a popular choice of Cape Liberty cruisers.

Check the direct rates and the stay123 rates so you can get the best. The shuttle to the port is paid for when you check in to the hotel and they will assign a time.

If you buy the cruise package directly from Country Inns, the parking and/or shuttle is included depending on which package you pick. If you book through stay123, the shuttle is NOT included, but you can arrange it for $35/pp extra. So you have to figure out what the best deal is. Usually stay123 + paying for the shuttle is less expensive.

When I stayed at CI I spoke to the reception folks and they said they figure out how many people are going to the port and arrange for the appropriate sized vehicle to take them. Usually I think they leave around noon.