CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Thanks for the live report. Glad things have worked out for you even if there were some glitches and hassles. It does take time to get to the ferry, ride the ferry, and walk around lower Manhattan. The hotel does have shuttle service, but it does need to be pre booked and is not on demand.

Have a great cruise!

Hello!

Our first time cruising out of Cape Liberty, we are booked on EOS 2/16/14. My family will be driving to the area from Rochester on Sat 2/15, leaving bright & early to be sure to give us plenty of time to get to our hotel.

At this point we are looking at Hampton Inn on Staten Island so we can leave our vehicle while we're gone. The rate we're seeing for 2 adults, 1 child (our teenager) is $151 + tax. I understand there is no restaurant in the hotel but we could either have dinner at the nearby Hilton or drive elsewhere.

Is it correct that we would be arranging the shuttle to the port with the Hilton & not the Hampton? How early do they begin port shuttles & what would be a good time to set this up for? In an email I got from RCCL it states that we will have priority boarding so I'm unsure what this means, time-wise.

Do we need to indicate anywhere on our Hampton reservation that we will be leaving our vehicle on site?

Hello!

Our first time cruising out of Cape Liberty, we are booked on EOS 2/16/14. My family will be driving to the area from Rochester on Sat 2/15, leaving bright & early to be sure to give us plenty of time to get to our hotel.

At this point we are looking at Hampton Inn on Staten Island so we can leave our vehicle while we're gone. The rate we're seeing for 2 adults, 1 child (our teenager) is $151 + tax. I understand there is no restaurant in the hotel but we could either have dinner at the nearby Hilton or drive elsewhere.

Is it correct that we would be arranging the shuttle to the port with the Hilton & not the Hampton? How early do they begin port shuttles & what would be a good time to set this up for? In an email I got from RCCL it states that we will have priority boarding so I'm unsure what this means, time-wise.

Do we need to indicate anywhere on our Hampton reservation that we will be leaving our vehicle on site?

Hi, I just stayed at the Hampton and yes, the van is from the

Hilton Garden Inn...they come to the Hampton to pick you up:)

First van out was 10:30am. I was on it:D

Hi, I just stayed at the Hampton and yes, the van is from the

Hilton Garden Inn...they come to the Hampton to pick you up:)

First van out was 10:30am. I was on it:D

I am glad you are back, Lois as I wanted to hear your experience with Hampton Inn and the shuttle. It seems like such a good value. Did you take the shuttle back from the port to the hotel. If so, did you schedule a time before you left on your cruise, or just call upon your return.

Did you have dinner around the hotel, or find something away from there. I understand the Hilton has a restaurant.

I hope you had a great cruise. Look forward to seeing pics over on the Fashion board.

I am glad you are back, Lois as I wanted to hear your experience with Hampton Inn and the shuttle. It seems like such a good value. Did you take the shuttle back from the port to the hotel. If so, did you schedule a time before you left on your cruise, or just call upon your return.

Did you have dinner around the hotel, or find something away from there. I understand the Hilton has a restaurant.

I hope you had a great cruise. Look forward to seeing pics over on the Fashion board.

Hi:)....at the end of the cruise I did not go back to the hotel. I took

a cab from the port to Newark Airport.

As for dinner pre-cruise? I ate at the restaurant at the Hilton

Garden Inn......it is walkable from the Hampton Inn. It is just walking

across the parking lot. The restaurant is called Lorenzo's and the

food was delicious:D I had a red snapper dish encrusted in potatoes.

REALLY GOOD........and the front desk at the Hampton had coupons

for either a free drink or free dessert (for the restaurant) so I took

the free drink;)

Hi:)....at the end of the cruise I did not go back to the hotel. I took

a cab from the port to Newark Airport.

As for dinner pre-cruise? I ate at the restaurant at the Hilton

Garden Inn......it is walkable from the Hampton Inn. It is just walking

across the parking lot. The restaurant is called Lorenzo's and the

food was delicious:D I had a red snapper dish encrusted in potatoes.

REALLY GOOD........and the front desk at the Hampton had coupons

for either a free drink or free dessert (for the restaurant) so I took

the free drink;)

thanks, Lois. Did you have to pay for the shuttle or is complimentary? The Hilton advertises the package for $40 more than just the room. Hampton is the same price but no shuttle offered. I know you contact Hilton just trying to see which way to go and if there really is such a price difference.

Ooops. I just discovered you were on the Summit and we will be on RCCL Explorer. Don't know whether that will make a difference in estimating how much time it will take for us to get from the ship to Newark airport by taxi.

It's the same cruise terminal and the same taxi ride. The only things that might have minor differences are the ships' disembarkation procedures and timing, but once you're off the ship the travel time to the airport will be the same.

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for the response, we will go ahead & book the Hampton. Nice to hear that the Hilton offers a tasty dinner as well.

For those who have parked at the Hampton, did you notify them ahead of arrival that you'd be leaving your car or just mention it at check in?

thanks, Lois. Did you have to pay for the shuttle or is complimentary? The Hilton advertises the package for $40 more than just the room. Hampton is the same price but no shuttle offered. I know you contact Hilton just trying to see which way to go and if there really is such a price difference.

Hi, I booked a room athe Hampton Inn at a AAA rate of 175.00.

Shuttle was included in the price of my room. The 175.00 was the

total, including taxes.

We plan to catch a cab from the port to Newark airport one week from today, just as you did. What time did you get off the ship and what time did you get to the airport? Thanks =

I was off the ship about 8:30 and after a bit of mess with the

shared van? I got out of the van and took a cab to the airport

and got there about 9:45.

Your welcome:)......I will say, I did not ask about any other restaurants

in the area so I have no idea what is around but these 2 hotels are

not near much. Lorenzo's is very good though and I enjoyed my dinner

very much:)

Hello!

I love the Hampton!Just stayed in April.We just let them know when we check in that we are leaving our car there.I always ask if there is some place special I should park it and they tell me near the front so they can keep an eye on it.At the front desk they have menus of places that will deliver and can give you directions to restaurants.There is a steakhouse down the road from them that looks good but never never eaten there so don't know.Very friendly front desk and the shuttle we used last year and that worked out great.We stay here and get a car service to either Manhatten or Brooklyn when we cruise from those ports.More expensive for the car service from there but that is how much we like the Hampton and Hilton there.Very easy to get to when you are not used to driving in the city and I feel safe leaving the car there.

Laura

I love the Hampton!Just stayed in April.We just let them know when we check in that we are leaving our car there.I always ask if there is some place special I should park it and they tell me near the front so they can keep an eye on it.At the front desk they have menus of places that will deliver and can give you directions to restaurants.There is a steakhouse down the road from them that looks good but never never eaten there so don't know.Very friendly front desk and the shuttle we used last year and that worked out great.We stay here and get a car service to either Manhatten or Brooklyn when we cruise from those ports.More expensive for the car service from there but that is how much we like the Hampton and Hilton there.Very easy to get to when you are not used to driving in the city and I feel safe leaving the car there.

Laura

Thanks Laura, great to hear that it worked out so nicely for you! We have visited NYS often enough that we will probably just check in & crash there for the evening. I appreciate the tip about the menus, we may just check out the steakhouse & see. Thanks again!

Hello!

The Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn are "sister" hotels. If you eat at Lorenzo's, you will probably meet the very proud, kind, owner of both.

The Hampton Inn will arrange your shuttles and you will be picked up/dropped off at the Hampton. I recommend having the Hilton phone number because the primary scheduler is there - in case something goes wrong, it's just more expeditious. (My flight was delayed twice)

We will be staying at the Staten Island Hampton Inn the night before our cruise (Sept 7). We have scheduled with the hotel shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port. The night before the cruise we would like to take the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan to go to the 9/11 memorial. Our hotel advertizes shuttle service to the ferry. Our question is how reliable the hotel shuttle service will be to and from the ferry especially later in the evening. Should we depend on it? Also, should we expect to be able to catch a taxi later in the evening when we would be returning to the hotel. Suggestions would be appreciated.

We will be staying at the Staten Island Hampton Inn the night before our cruise (Sept 7). We have scheduled with the hotel shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port. The night before the cruise we would like to take the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan to go to the 9/11 memorial. Our hotel advertizes shuttle service to the ferry. Our question is how reliable the hotel shuttle service will be to and from the ferry especially later in the evening. Should we depend on it? Also, should we expect to be able to catch a taxi later in the evening when we would be returning to the hotel. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I have no idea about the reliability of the shuttle service; but you will be able to catch a cab/car service at the terminal; even if it's late!

Edited by Baby let's cruise away

Taxis are available late in the evening so no need to concern yourself with that.

Is your plan to take the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan round trip?

I suggest phoning the hotel direct in advance of your arrival and request the times for the shuttle to and from the Staten Island ferry. Once at the hotel, but before leaving for the S.I. ferry, ask for taxi co. phone numbers. This will be your back up if the shuttle doesn't show.

I also suggest check opening times for the 9/11 Memorial. They had been issuing tickets for admission. I'm not sure if you can just walk up and expect to gain admission.

Taxis are available late in the evening so no need to concern yourself with that.

Is your plan to take the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan round trip?

I suggest phoning the hotel direct in advance of your arrival and request the times for the shuttle to and from the Staten Island ferry. Once at the hotel, but before leaving for the S.I. ferry, ask for taxi co. phone numbers. This will be your back up if the shuttle doesn't show.

I also suggest check opening times for the 9/11 Memorial. They had been issuing tickets for admission. I'm not sure if you can just walk up and expect to gain admission.

We have already looked into admission to the 9/11 Memorial and it is my understanding that we can't just walk up and gain admission. However, obtaining reservations online is easy. Our concern now has become whether or not we will have time to do what we would like to do. Our reservation from the airport to the hotel is at 4:30. By the time we get to the hotel and get to the ferry we might not have time to make the last time available at the memorial (7:00). We may just do round trip on the ferry. That will be a new experience for us.