CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

I have not seen any comments about this hotel. Any thoughts?

This hotel is not on our radar. It has been buffed up, but it's what comes with the location that is an issue. I would never leave a car there. It is also one of the hotels in a fringe area that offers a cruise port shuttle.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35582273&highlight=western#post35582273

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=33266528&highlight=western#post33266528

What exactly are you looking for? Date? Number of people and rooms? Budget?

What would you pay at Best Western and what do you get? Two rooms - how many beds? How many days parking? breakfast? Port transportation? Please break down the costs for me.

Are you sailing from Bayonne?

Since you're arriving at night, I'd like to find you something that is in a better area and easier to find. The airport area is a spaghetti mess of roads and GPS does not always work well. You can miss a turn and be able to see your hotel and not be able to get there. I don't recommend being lost in the area at night.

I am arriving Jan 31,2014 from a 10 day cruise on the Explorer of the Seas.

I need to catch a 12:15 flight from EWR (Newark) on Delta.

Is a 12:15 flight too early? Will I make it? Advice Thanks..

Hi, I sailed earlier this month and had an 11:50am flight home from

Newark...made it in plenty of time:)12:15 should be no problem.

I was off the ship about 8:30am.

We are sailing on the Summit on Oct. 5. Will arrive a few days early for some time in the City and are staying in Chelsea. I plan to book a car service (either Dial7 or Camel Limo) for the trip from Chelsea to Port Liberty on 10/5 as well as 10/19 from Port Liberty to LGA. If anyone can offer insight into an anticipated appropriate cost for these two trips, that would help me immensely when I contact the car services -- to know if I am getting a reasonable cost or not. We've sailed from Brooklyn, but never Port Liberty. Sailing and disembarking on Sautrday so if anyone can offer estimate on travel time for either of these days, thanks in advance.

We are sailing on the Summit on Oct. 5. Will arrive a few days early for some time in the City and are staying in Chelsea. I plan to book a car service (either Dial7 or Camel Limo) for the trip from Chelsea to Port Liberty on 10/5 as well as 10/19 from Port Liberty to LGA. If anyone can offer insight into an anticipated appropriate cost for these two trips, that would help me immensely when I contact the car services -- to know if I am getting a reasonable cost or not. We've sailed from Brooklyn, but never Port Liberty. Sailing and disembarking on Sautrday so if anyone can offer estimate on travel time for either of these days, thanks in advance.

Assuming you only need a standard sedan (2-3 people with about one standard suitcase and one carry on each), fare from Manhattan to Cape Liberty should be about $50-55 (for the car...not per person), plus tolls (about $15) and tip (15-20%).

Cape Liberty to LGA the fare should be about $80-85, plus tolls (about $15) and tip.

In normal traffic (whatever that means in NY :D ) it should be about 30 minutes from Chelsea to Cape Liberty and about 45 minutes to an hour from Cape Liberty to LGA. (Very rough estimates)

Can one of you locals recommend this Hotel? We are taking a Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty in December and staying after the cruise to celebrate Christmas in New York. I have found the NYC hotels to be too pricey (especially with the extra taxes and fees) and was looking into hotels in Newark.

Would it be fairly easy to take transit into NYC from here?

Are there other hotels that you would recommend above this one?

Sailing on EOS Jan 31/2013, driving from RI. We are considering staying at either the Hilton or Garden Inn Staten Island or the Country Inn & Suites the night prior to departure (concerned that the potential for bad weather that time of year might be an issue with us driving down the morning of departure), and comparing costs. We've taken this cruise previously so I know that parking at Cape Liberty is about $190 for a 9 night cruise. Can anyone tell whether these hotels which offer parking and shuttle to the port provide shuttle both to and from the port? Some of the comments I've read seem to indicate you have to arrange for car service or taxi on return day. I've also just figured out this is also Super Bowl weekend (yes-it's being played in NJ!), so even getting a hotel will be a challenge! Appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Can one of you locals recommend this Hotel? We are taking a Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty in December and staying after the cruise to celebrate Christmas in New York. I have found the NYC hotels to be too pricey (especially with the extra taxes and fees) and was looking into hotels in Newark.

Would it be fairly easy to take transit into NYC from here?

Are there other hotels that you would recommend above this one?

The hotel itself gets generally decent reviews, and they have a free shuttle to Newark Penn Station where you can take NJ Transit or PATH trains to Manhattan, but if you're not used to an inner city urban environment you may not feel comfortable staying at this hotel. Newark in general is not a place where you're going to want to walk around on the streets after dark.

Has anyone used Cape Liberty shuttle services?

Is there a particular shuttle you're asking about?

There is a shuttle that takes you to EWR from Cape Liberty for $16 per person. You pay and board the shuttle van after you exit the cruise terminal (turn to the left after you walk out the door). There's no comparable service from the airport to the cruise port.

The cruise lines generally also run transfer services in both directions between EWR and the port. They probably cost between $25 and 30 per person in each direction.

Edited by njhorseman

We are cruising out of Cape liberty on October 20th and are driving down from Western Mass. Was not concerned about traffic as this is a Sunday until it was mentioned on our meet and mingle forum that there is a 1pm Jets/Patriots game in New Jersey. We are taking the Saw Mill parkway, going thru the city and to the Holland Tunnel to get to the cruise port. Does any one know what kind of traffic we can expect on our way down? Any tips on avoiding game day traffic?

Sailing on EOS Jan 31/2013, driving from RI. We are considering staying at either the Hilton or Garden Inn Staten Island or the Country Inn & Suites the night prior to departure (concerned that the potential for bad weather that time of year might be an issue with us driving down the morning of departure), and comparing costs. We've taken this cruise previously so I know that parking at Cape Liberty is about $190 for a 9 night cruise. Can anyone tell whether these hotels which offer parking and shuttle to the port provide shuttle both to and from the port? Some of the comments I've read seem to indicate you have to arrange for car service or taxi on return day. I've also just figured out this is also Super Bowl weekend (yes-it's being played in NJ!), so even getting a hotel will be a challenge! Appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Hilton Garden Inn in Staten Island has complimentary round trip shuttle service between the hotel and the port.

Country Inn and Suites has round trip shuttle services between the hotel and port at additional cost... I believe it's $35 per person round trip. They may also offer a package that includes the shuttle in the room price. You need to check which way of booking it is cheaper.

Nine night parking at the port is $171.

Edited by njhorseman

We are cruising out of Cape liberty on October 20th and are driving down from Western Mass. Was not concerned about traffic as this is a Sunday until it was mentioned on our meet and mingle forum that there is a 1pm Jets/Patriots game in New Jersey. We are taking the Saw Mill parkway, going thru the city and to the Holland Tunnel to get to the cruise port. Does any one know what kind of traffic we can expect on our way down? Any tips on avoiding game day traffic?

Your route shouldn't experience much game day traffic as it doesn't go directly in the area of Met Life Stadium.

Hilton Garden Inn in Staten Island has complimentary round trip shuttle service between the hotel and the port.

Country Inn and Suites has round trip shuttle services between the hotel and port at additional cost... I believe it's $35 per person round trip. They may also offer a package that includes the shuttle in the room price. You need to check which way of booking it is cheaper.

Nine night parking at the port is $171.

The Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn share a shuttle. This is a free shuttle between the hotel and the following: Newark Airport, Cape Liberty cruise port (in Bayonne, NJ), and the Staten Island ferry (you can take the ferry -- it's free -- to Manhattan).

One caveat: You MUST reserve the shuttle. It does NOT run on a regular schedule.

Alan

We are booked to sail out of Cape Liberty on Jan 5th 2014. We are not sure about driving down from boston the day of the cruise.. has anyone done this or would it be better to find a hotel with parking and transfer?

Thanks,

Kathleen

We are booked to sail out of Cape Liberty on Jan 5th 2014. We are not sure about driving down from boston the day of the cruise.. has anyone done this or would it be better to find a hotel with parking and transfer?

Thanks,

Kathleen

In the winter,drive down the day before.The Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn on Staten Island has free parking and a free shuttle to and from Cape Liberty.

In the winter,drive down the day before.The Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn on Staten Island has free parking and a free shuttle to and from Cape Liberty.

Thank you for your recommendation, I called the Hilton Garden Inn and they confirmed the free parking and shuttle to the cruise port so I have booked us in there for the night before we sail..

Kathleen

Thank you for your recommendation, I called the Hilton Garden Inn and they confirmed the free parking and shuttle to the cruise port so I have booked us in there for the night before we sail..

Kathleen

Their shuttle does NOT run on a regular schedule. You MUST reserve the exact time you will need it.

Alan

Hi Carol, njhorseman and other teriffic helpers..

I am staying at the Newark Hilton Penn Station 1048 Raymond Blvd. On Saturday morning, I was going to take the NJ transit to Penn Station NYC then take Subway 1 to 42nd Street and either catch the M42 bus or walk to Circle Line Tours(West 42 and 12 Ave) But after looking at a couple of sights(NJ Transit and Hopstop.com) it looks like I can take bus 108 from very near the Hilton(Newark) to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan(42 and 9th) and then walk 2 blocks to Circle line Both ways take about an hour, but the bus seems easier with no stops or transfers. Am I not seeing something ? Your thoughts please.

Frank

Do you reserve the time and shuttle at time of booking the hotel or do you do that closer to embarkation. Thanks.

I was told to call about a month before to book the shuttle as they need to know exactly what time you want picked up.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Carol, njhorseman and other teriffic helpers..

I am staying at the Newark Hilton Penn Station 1048 Raymond Blvd. On Saturday morning, I was going to take the NJ transit to Penn Station NYC then take Subway 1 to 42nd Street and either catch the M42 bus or walk to Circle Line Tours(West 42 and 12 Ave) But after looking at a couple of sights(NJ Transit and Hopstop.com) it looks like I can take bus 108 from very near the Hilton(Newark) to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan(42 and 9th) and then walk 2 blocks to Circle line Both ways take about an hour, but the bus seems easier with no stops or transfers. Am I not seeing something ? Your thoughts please.

Frank

I answered this on the other thread you started.