CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

If you buy the cruise package directly from Country Inns, the parking and/or shuttle is included depending on which package you pick. If you book through stay123, the shuttle is NOT included, but you can arrange it for $35/pp extra. So you have to figure out what the best deal is. Usually stay123 + paying for the shuttle is less expensive.

When I stayed at CI I spoke to the reception folks and they said they figure out how many people are going to the port and arrange for the appropriate sized vehicle to take them. Usually I think they leave around noon.

We just booked County Inn and they quoted $35/pp rt shuttle. We only need one way and have no need to return to the hotel. Do you know if they do the shuttle one way only? We ask and the reservation agent didn't know. We plan on using the airport shuttle from the port on the way home. If not, we will just get a cab I guess. Also, they mention a "pantry" where you can buy snacks, beer and wine. If the wine is by the bottle then this would solve our problem of where to pick up two bottles to bring on board.

Thanks. If you hear of any others, please let me know.

Guy Fieri went there on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Pancakes, pancakes, and more pancakes. However, this is a bit out of the way depending on your route in. Have eaten there many times, but it will be very crowded on a Saturday morning, especially the first week back to school. Far closer and much more convenient for you would be two diners in Bayonne. The first and the one I would recommend, would be the Lighthouse at 31st and Broadway, or the Broadway Diner and Bistro at 8th and Broadway. Basic diner food and very inexpensive. Either is minutes from the port ,the Lighthouse being just a few blocks to the entrance of Cape Liberty. If you want directions to the diner (my guess is you probably getting off the turnpike) and to the port from the diner let me know.

I'd call the hotel directly in NJ. They know that some folks are going to want to go back to the airport instead of the hotel and I'm sure folks have posted that they have done this using the CI transfer. A reservation agent is not in the hotel itself, so they have no clue.

My guess is that the pantry does not sell large bottles of wine. If you really want to bring your own, wrap it carefully in bubble wrap and put it in a giant gallon ziplock in you suitcase. I did this for my last trip on the EX. I wasn't flying, but the suitcase got manhandled by the porters and went through the ship's luggage system. My SIL does this all the time with beer when he flies across country. Unfortunately it will cost you a small fortune and aggravation to acquire wine before you cruise if you are flying in.

Guy Fieri went there on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Pancakes, pancakes, and more pancakes. However, this is a bit out of the way depending on your route in. Have eaten there many times, but it will be very crowded on a Saturday morning, especially the first week back to school. Far closer and much more convenient for you would be two diners in Bayonne. The first and the one I would recommend, would be the Lighthouse at 31st and Broadway, or the Broadway Diner and Bistro at 8th and Broadway. Basic diner food and very inexpensive. Either is minutes from the port ,the Lighthouse being just a few blocks to the entrance of Cape Liberty. If you want directions to the diner (my guess is you probably getting off the turnpike) and to the port from the diner let me know.

Hi Joe, thanks so much. That's good to know. If you have directions that would be great, or we could just come to your house for breakfast (assume you live in Bayonne from your screen name).

My husband and I will be sailing out of Cape Liberty on The Summit in October. We've never been to NYC or sailed this ship or from this port. We are flying in on the 17th and plan to stay two nights in the city before we disembark. My question is, if we stay in Soho or East Manhattan, would a cab ride from there to the port be outrageous ? I've read a few posts that say cabbies will over charge and to get a car service. I need your opinions.

Thanks in advance :)

My husband and I will be sailing out of Cape Liberty on The Summit in October. We've never been to NYC or sailed this ship or from this port. We are flying in on the 17th and plan to stay two nights in the city before we disembark. My question is, if we stay in Soho or East Manhattan, would a cab ride from there to the port be outrageous ? I've read a few posts that say cabbies will over charge and to get a car service. I need your opinions.

The concierge at your hotel will be able to find you a car service, it will probably be comparable to a cab maybe a little more but you will be so much more comfortable and wont be nervous about the meter ticking... You don't need to pre book. They may even be able to tell you if there is a flat rate from lower Manhattan to Cape Liberty. You can probably go online and look it up, try NY taxi commission.

By East Manhattan do you mean the upper East side, Lower East Side or midtown area? NY is incredible in October you will love it, the weather is nearly perfect. So much to do and see. We will be there in less than 2 weeks pre Bermuda cruise. I have my Bway tickets and can't wait. We usually stay at the Michelangelo on 51 and 8th. It is small, near everything and very European in feel. My husband has been staying there on business for over 30 years. You can walk almost anywhere from that location. The doormen still remember us to this day.

Good Luck,

I live in NC but I grew up in NY and get back every chance I get.

N :)

You know there are two Courtyards at the airport - one in Newark and one in Elizabeth. I would choose the Residence Inn or the Courtyard on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth. The area is nicer (note: it's still the airport) and the hotels are easier to find. I've stayed at both the Newark Airport Courtyard many years ago and the Fairfield Inn more recently. The main problem with these hotels is that you must print out the directions and follow them exactly coming off the turnpike at exit 14. If you don't get on I78 LOCAL, you will be lost in a spaghetti mess of roads where your GPS is useless.

The concierge at your hotel will be able to find you a car service, it will probably be comparable to a cab maybe a little more but you will be so much more comfortable and wont be nervous about the meter ticking... You don't need to pre book. They may even be able to tell you if there is a flat rate from lower Manhattan to Cape Liberty. You can probably go online and look it up, try NY taxi commission.

By East Manhattan do you mean the upper East side, Lower East Side or midtown area? NY is incredible in October you will love it, the weather is nearly perfect. So much to do and see. We will be there in less than 2 weeks pre Bermuda cruise. I have my Bway tickets and can't wait. We usually stay at the Michelangelo on 51 and 8th. It is small, near everything and very European in feel. My husband has been staying there on business for over 30 years. You can walk almost anywhere from that location. The doormen still remember us to this day.

Good Luck,

I live in NC but I grew up in NY and get back every chance I get.

N :)

NY City taxis are not required to take you anywhere in NJ except to EWR, and that is the only NJ destination to which rates are regulated. If you do get a taxi to agree to take you to Cape Liberty, they can charge you whatever they wish. The rates for the trip to Cape Liberty are not regulated by the Taxi and Limousine Commission. This is why it is imperative that you book a car service to go from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Do not attempt to take a taxi!

Further, I strongly recommend that you book the car service directly and do not allow the hotel concierge to book one for you. You will surely overpay...for a very simple reason...the hotel gets a piece of the action...a "commission" if you prefer, for booking their recommended car service.

Booking directly with a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel (or any other of your choice) is very simple and will normally get you the best possible fare.

Edited by njhorseman

Hi all, DH and I are cruising the Summit to Bermuda in a few weeks and had planned to fly in to EWR the day before, stay at Staten Island Hampton Inn, and maybe take the ferry to lower Manhattan for the afternoon.

Now we are flying a day earlier. Staten Island seemed to make things so easy, but does it make any sense now? Presumably we would now spend more time in the city.

Would staying in Elizabeth make anything easier? We do have miles that would give us the Renaissance hotel for free. Does that improve our access to the city?

Our 20-year-old-daughter is flying in on day 2 and I want her to be able to get from EWR to our hotel safely and easily.

What would be our best strategy?

Edited by BamaD

What are the exact dates you need a hotel room? For three people? I will look around. What were you going to pay incl tax for the Hampton Inn? I will assum that is your approximate budget if you don't get a free room.

If you are going to midtown Manhattan, it will be about an hour. From Staten Island it would be 1.5+ hours to midtown.

The Renaissance would be fine, particularly if it is free. Are you sure you can use your points for your dates? There are plenty of Marriott properties at the airport.

We just booked County Inn and they quoted $35/pp rt shuttle. We only need one way and have no need to return to the hotel. Do you know if they do the shuttle one way only? We ask and the reservation agent didn't know. We plan on using the airport shuttle from the port on the way home. If not, we will just get a cab I guess. Also, they mention a "pantry" where you can buy snacks, beer and wine. If the wine is by the bottle then this would solve our problem of where to pick up two bottles to bring on board.

We sailed out of Bayonne in June and I had originally booked the Country Inn. I called the hotel directly and they told me that the $35 covers the return to the hotel or EWR, whichever you want. I Ended up finding a better deal at the Hampton Inn and Suites at EWR so I canceled Country Inn reservation but that is the info that they told me. We hired a car through the Hampton at $50 for the two of us. On the return we took a shared van to EWR at $16 per person.

Thanks for the info. We are actually staying now at the Mariott Courtyard (next to Country Inn) I have not seen any info on the Courtyard web site re any transportaton options for the port, just from the airport.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the info. We are actually staying now at the Mariott Courtyard (next to Country Inn) I have not seen any info on the Courtyard web site re any transportaton options for the port, just from the airport.

Any suggestions?

Hi Grace, I know Independent Driver will pick you up and Carol and others

give them a big thumbs up:)

I actually used a car service 3 years ago..... I will see if I still have

their business card at home......it was more money but it was a towncar

and the driver was very good........and I stayed at the Courtyard too:)

You can walk to Ruby Tuesday's from there.

138east - Thank you for your response. I checked and the miles have been converted into Marriot gift cards. We should be fine. So now, I'm between the Renaissance and, like gracecarmo, the Courtyard(Elizabeth.)

I just want to make sure that 20-year-old Katie is safe arriving at EWR and getting to the hotel while we are in the city.

Do you have a preference between the 2 hotels?

Susan

Maybe my friend Meg will read this and respond. She has stayed at both hotels multiple times precruise whereas I have never stayed at them. My instincts tell me you might have more room for three people at the Residence Inn. Your daughter will be fine going to either hotel.

Not really. GPS doesn't always work well in this area.

When you get off the turnpike at exit 14A, you go straight across the toll plaza and up a ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and go right at every opportunity until you reach the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make the first left turn onto Goldsborough Drive. This merges with Port Terminal Blvd and you just follow the line of cars out to the terminal.

The traffic pattern was reconfigured within the last year and the signage is poor - it's there, but it's often hard to spot in time to follow,

Does someone have a good GPS address to put into my Garmin to get me to the door step of the Bayonne Port of Cape Liberty...:)
I entered the following address, but I made sure it routes me the way 138east suggests. Entering 'way points' in the 'trip planner' (I think that's what it's called) can help you force the Garmin to take you the route you want to go. I used the free Garmin BaseCamp program to help me set up the exact route.

14 Port Terminal Blvd

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

I know it's probably been gone over ad nauseum , but how many bottles of wine can we bring onboard? I've never had the opportunity to bring it before.

We carry it onboard don't we?

N :p

2 bottles per stateroom. You can carry it on. There are people that pack it. But I would never chance a glass bottle in my suitcase the way they are thrown around. Also when they X-ray the checked bags if they can't tell it's wine in your luggage they will hold it and make you come down and open it up to make sure it's not liquor.

2 bottles per stateroom. You can carry it on. There are people that pack it. But I would never chance a glass bottle in my suitcase the way they are thrown around. Also when they X-ray the checked bags if they can't tell it's wine in your luggage they will hold it and make you come down and open it up to make sure it's not liquor.

Thanks Cruising Chick. Great news. You're right about not chancing it in the suitcase.

Nely