CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We are arriving back in Cape Liberty on the Summit from a New England/Canada cruise on October 5th. and are flying back to the UK from JFK in the evening. We would be grateful for any advice as to what transport alternatives are available from the port.

Jim.

I don't know if Celebrity offers transfers to JFK, but look into that. Another option is to book a car service to JFK so you know the cost ahead of time. A third option if you want to spend a few hours in NYC would be to book a car service to a Schwartz Travel location in Manhattan, check your luggage, do something in NYC, and then take a cab (fixed price from Manhattan) to JFK.

Hi again Carol, the more I thought about it? The more I am going back

to where I began;).....I am guessing if I have to buy a full breakfast

at the Hilton Garden it would be at least that 9.00.

So I decided to go back to the Hampton Inn....I guess people cancel

and rebook all the time so nobody should really care.:)

I am looking at Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island. Would love to hear your experience when you return. Also, are you using the port shuttle?

I am looking at Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island. Would love to hear your experience when you return. Also, are you using the port shuttle?

Hi, I am using the shuttle offered by the hotel yes:) it is complimentary:D

Hi, I am using the shuttle offered by the hotel yes:) it is complimentary:D

thanks, Lois. I look forward to hearing your experience and I hope you will post pics on the fashion board.

One more question, did you book the port shuttle when you booked the hotel or do you book it when you check-in. Hampton Inn is looking better and better.:D

thanks, Lois. I look forward to hearing your experience and I hope you will post pics on the fashion board.

One more question, did you book the port shuttle when you booked the hotel or do you book it when you check-in. Hampton Inn is looking better and better.:D

Hi again:)....I called the hotel and they told me to call again about

2 weeks before arrival. They told me August reservations would not

be taken till mid to late July. So, I am just looking at the calender.....:(;)

Oh, I just ordered 2 new dresses:D

If you are arriving in Newark Penn Station, it is easy getting to Cape Liberty. Take the PATH train to Exchange Place. From Exchange Place take the Light Rail (Stop is on corner as you exit PATH station) to Bayonne's 34th Street station. From there take a taxi approx. 2 miles to Cape Liberty cruise terminal. The total cost, including taxi, will be approx. $12. Have coins for the PATH and Light Rail ticket machines....both trains run approximately every 10 to 15 minutes.

You may have to phone for taxi. There are several local companies that will quickly pick up.

Excellent directions here. Just one slight correction/clarification: The ticket machines for the PATH train and for the Light Rail all take dollar bills as well as coins (giving change in coins); the machines also accept credit cards and debit cards.

Edited by Post Captain

A few more picky details - be sure to seek out the elevator at Exchange Place to get up to the street level - it's a very deep station. On the light rail you need to validate your ticket in the machine before your board.

Edited by 138east

hi again:)....i called the hotel and they told me to call again about

2 weeks before arrival. They told me august reservations would not

be taken till mid to late july. So, i am just looking at the calender.....:(;)

thanks. I think hampton inn is a winner.

Oh, i just ordered 2 new dresses:d

lol!

If I stay in Newark,NJ. at the Hilton I get a free ride to the hotel, right? Do I take a taxi to the ship? RC? And take a taxi to the airport when we get back? Is this really expensive?

I have no idea the distance going or coming back. I really don't like shuttles. I hope we can find a good price to the airport. I am not crazy at the thought of going to NJ in Jan. I would rather it be in Fla. I am from Ohio.

Give us more details. What is your budget? How many people? What is your exact date. You can expect to pay $50+ each way for a car service or taxi from Newark airport to Bayonne (I am assuming you are sailing on the Explorer). The airport hotels all have free shuttles to the airport.

I've spent the last day or so reading the this thread and jotting down notes. May I say, I've never been to the NY/NJ area and was more than a little intimidated:o. With each post I could feel my confidence growing....

Thanks so much to everyone, especially our ever-patient, unofficial 'hosts:)!'

We're doing a Celebrity/Bermuda cruise August 11th, flying into EWR, and staying in either Elizabeth or Staten Island.....

.....Husband is sort of hooked on the Staten Island Ferry idea. Why specifically is it so inconvenient? Is it just the hotel shuttle schedule, the ferry schedule itself, the distance of the ferry from the Hampton/Hilton Garden Inn? I think he just wants to ride over, do something(WTC?), eat a slice, ride back. Would a cab to the ferry take care of most of the problems?

Thanks, Susan

Edited by BamaD

When most people say they want to go to Manhattan, they usually mean somewhere in midtown like Times Square, Empire State, or Rockefeller Center. From Staten Island you have to figure a half hour to get to the ferry, perhaps some time to wait for the ferry, and a 25 minute ride. If you're going to midtown, you have to add another half hour. So you can spend about 3 hours just traveling.

So it's not so bad if you just want to go to lower Manhattan. Check with the hotel to find a time they will take you to the ferry and plan to take a cab back. That should address most of your issues.

That should address most of your issues.

It does. thank you for your help:).

On the other side of things, I was leaning toward Elizabeth and those Portuguese restaurants that I was reading about. Will I be missing anything great there?

Susan

I did it once and had a good time, but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to do it. These restaurants are all in downtown Newark. Since you don't know the area, I feel more comfortable telling you to eat in NY while you are there and not wander around Newark. I'm sure we can get you some recommendations in lower Manhattan. Chinatown isn't that far away if that is of interest.

That sounds about right. We do want to keep it simple - we'll take the ferry over, have some dinner, maybe bring a little food back to the Hampton Inn for a nighttime snack - and call it a night.

Thanks, Susan

Hi what is the taxi situation at Cape Liberty on disembarkation on a Sunday morning? I have read somewhere that they are not plentiful and that you should hire a car service. Any experiences? :confused:

Nely

Hi Nely, taxis to Newark airport? They are too plentiful:).....last

time I sailed from NJ was in 2010 and I didn't have any trouble

finding one. Actually, I was going in a van with other folks and THAT

was a mess:rolleyes:.....I ended up having them remove my luggage from

the van and took a cab on my own. It was more money but I didn't

care.

Edited by Lois R

Just returned from our Bermuda cruise. We took a cab to the port for a $50 flat fee which surprised us as the port is maybe 10 miles from the airport. While on our cruise someone mentioned a shuttle and so we decided to give it a try. Very pleased. The van held 6 people so we weren't crowded. It was clean, fast and the driver very nice. Believe it was $13 pp.

No problems at all.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We're going on the 12/12/13 cruise out of Bayonne on Explorer. We went last year at this time and stayed at Hilton Garden Inn. They had a stay/park/cruise package. It was around $230 with tax. We have 5 in our party this year and wanted to stay in one room but when I called Hilton Garden Inn they said we would have to get two rooms. I called Hampton Inn which is right next door and they told me that they do not do shuttling to the port anymore. So my question is should we book the two rooms at Hilton Garden Inn and pay over $400.00 or is there another hotel I should know about that would allow 5 people, let us park and shuttle us to the Cape Liberty port? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

We're going on the 12/12/13 cruise out of Bayonne on Explorer. We went last year at this time and stayed at Hilton Garden Inn. They had a stay/park/cruise package. It was around $230 with tax. We have 5 in our party this year and wanted to stay in one room but when I called Hilton Garden Inn they said we would have to get two rooms. I called Hampton Inn which is right next door and they told me that they do not do shuttling to the port anymore. So my question is should we book the two rooms at Hilton Garden Inn and pay over $400.00 or is there another hotel I should know about that would allow 5 people, let us park and shuttle us to the Cape Liberty port? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

I just called both the Hampton and the Hilton. Both places said the free shuttle is still offered. I asked the gentleman at the Hilton, which is where you schedule your shuttle, if they had any plans to discontinue it. He checked with someone, and they said no. Same with the Hampton, no plans to discontinue.

I think you need to call back and speak with someone else. Hopefully whomever you spoke with didn't have the correct information. I loved the Hampton. Wonderful location and hotel, great prices, and free shuttle!!!

They do shuttle to the ship. I am using them on August 4th. I just

made my reservation. So whoever you spoke with gave you incorrect

information.

Did you call the correct Hampton Inn? There is one in Elizabeth near the airport and there is one on Staten Island. The one on Staten Island is supposed to have the port shuttle. You might want to double check it. If you are staying in Elizabeth, Country Inn and Suites offers a shuttle but it is $35 pp round trip. We booked that using Stay 123 dot Com.

Thank you so much for the information. I will be calling back today. I think the man I was talking to had bad info. I am so relieved. We loved staying at the Hilton Garden Inn last year. It was easy to find and the shuttle was great.:)

Hi Nely, taxis to Newark airport? They are too plentiful:).....last

time I sailed from NJ was in 2010 and I didn't have any trouble

finding one. Actually, I was going in a van with other folks and THAT

was a mess:rolleyes:.....I ended up having them remove my luggage from

the van and took a cab on my own. It was more money but I didn't

care.

Thanks Lois, hopefully well get a cab to EWR my daughter needs to take the train back to DC so we'll drop her off.