CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Hi Stan,

Yes, I have an exciting cruising season. Fantastic solo deals on the TA's and Med cruise and enthusiastic CC groups. Thanks to great prices, FF miles, and Hotwire, these are going to be wonderful trips.

Hopefully back on the EX next year for her final repositioning cruise and then on to the Quantum in Jan 2015 in a solo balcony cabin.

Carol, re: solo deals..... do they offer them to you since you cruise so often? We have a problem in that someone cancelled on a good friend (1st time cruiser). So now she can't afford the whole cabin herself. I don't know which TA she booked with, but would Royal work with her for a decent price? Either that or..... what are you doing the week of Oct 6th?

I have to search out my own deals. What ship is your friend on for Oct 6.? Did they book an inside cabin?

I always book an inside unless the balcony prices out close to the inside. I think the OV is a waste, but that's just me. On the EX all the OV's are down on decks 2 and 3, whereas there are a ton of insides on decks 6-10. I'm never in my cabin unless I need to be there to change or sleep.

Hi Carol, and all,

A word if I may. Although we have a special circumstance, Handicapped cabin, we have traveled in the three major categories of cabin. Unless the cruise has a lot of sea days or we get a good deal we usually don't spend the money on a balcony. We are very happy in an inside and have recently cruised in an Ocean view. Although the OV was nice we are just as satisfied in an inside.Our next planned cruise will be in a balcony because no insides were left in accessible. When we sail, with you, on QotS we will have an OV, strictly because they are less $ than an inside.

Hi Ken,

Say hello to Deb for me!

On the voyager class ships I am much happier being near the aft elevators on decks 7-10 than down on decks 2 and 3 in an OV. As you know, when I sailed with my mom we always had a balcony and then a HC balcony on later cruises. When I started sailing solo, I went right to an inside and never looked back. I've had a chance to do a PR as well as a fantastic balcony opportunity, but I'm just as happy with an inside. For QotS I was able to snag a solo balcony, which was less than an inside with the balcony discount and no single supplement. For my August TA I'm on deck 2 on the Brilliance because the inside guarantee price just couldn't be ignored. However, I'm still near the aft elevators, so I know i'll be OK. Once I close the cabin door, I have no idea what deck I'm on plus I'm never in my room.

Carol

Hi Carol,

So how did you manage to snag a balcony cabin with no single supplement on a new ship like Quantum? When in January do you sail. Would consider joining you if the price were right.

I will be sailing with Donna twice this winter on the Explorer. Would love it if our cruising paths crossed again as well.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

I wasn't even thinking about the Quantum, but Meg said she was going on Jan 23 and the first day bookings opened I grabbed a solo balcony. The reason there is no supplement is because it is actually a solo cabin. It has a double bed and will hold two people, but it's designed for a solo traveler. Needless to say the square footage is less, but it is a balcony and the particular cabin I got has what appears to be a giant long narrow balcony that goes all the way out to the hump - 6648. So essentially I have a hump balcony close to the aft elevators. I will be a D+ by sail date, so I get $350 off the price, so it makes it a better deal than even a solo inside cabin or a regular inside with a single supplement.

Meg has one of these cabins for a 3 day cruise in Nov, so she will have pictures and feedback about it then.

The bad news is that these cabins sold out almost immediately on all the QotS sailings. Just dumb luck for me to be able to grab one. One thing I've learned is to put a hold on a cabin and throw deposit money at it. That's an investment strategy that has paid huge dividends over the last few years.

I really hope i can catch up with you and Donna on a future cruise.

Carol

This is another thank you to Carol, Meg and whoever else is always helpful on here:)

I had booked Hampton Inn Staten Island for my cruise next month......

Complimentary shuttle to the hotel from EWR and to the ship as well:)

Just thought I would post an FYI......Hilton Garden Inn is the hotel with

the Shuttle and the hotels are next to on another.....well, The Hilton

has the same ammenities....they are the ones who pick up at the airport

and take you to to the ship...AND their room is less money:)

Not "ALOT" less but I changed my booking to stay here instead.

Both offer AAA discounts........Hampton was 176.00 (with taxes) and

Hilton Garden Inn is 167.00....so it is a savings of 9.00;)

Just thought I would let folks know:D

Hi Ruth,

I wasn't even thinking about the Quantum, but Meg said she was going on Jan 23 and the first day bookings opened I grabbed a solo balcony. The reason there is no supplement is because it is actually a solo cabin. It has a double bed and will hold two people, but it's designed for a solo traveler. Needless to say the square footage is less, but it is a balcony and the particular cabin I got has what appears to be a giant long narrow balcony that goes all the way out to the hump - 6648. So essentially I have a hump balcony close to the aft elevators. I will be a D+ by sail date, so I get $350 off the price, so it makes it a better deal than even a solo inside cabin or a regular inside with a single supplement.

Meg has one of these cabins for a 3 day cruise in Nov, so she will have pictures and feedback about it then.

The bad news is that these cabins sold out almost immediately on all the QotS sailings. Just dumb luck for me to be able to grab one. One thing I've learned is to put a hold on a cabin and throw deposit money at it. That's an investment strategy that has paid huge dividends over the last few years.

I really hope i can catch up with you and Donna on a future cruise.

Carol

Carol,

Just looked it up on the deckplan. Looks very interesting, can't wait to see it. We booked an OV as they were less $$ than an inside. We will be on deck 3 Forward port side.

Hello, guys. I'm sailing out of Cape Liberty on Royal Caribbean, and I live in Northern Virginia. I wonder what's the best way to get to Cape Liberty using public transit. Also a hotel recommendation would be appreciated.

Thank you!

What date are you looking at? There's public transit to Newark on Amtrak. However, public transit to Cape Liberty is more complicated and involves a $10 cab ride at the end. Give us more details about what you're thinking.

The big pool of hotels are at Newark Airport, but it's complicated to get to Cape Liberty on public transit from there - probably in the $25 range. You can get a hotel in Jersey City with better public transit access, but you will pay more for those hotels. So you have to look at the total cost.

Carol,

Just looked it up on the deckplan. Looks very interesting, can't wait to see it. We booked an OV as they were less $$ than an inside. We will be on deck 3 Forward port side.

I'm excited we will be sailing together again. Meg will have pictures of the solo balcony in Nov - maybe she can sneak a look at your HC cabin.

This is another thank you to Carol, Meg and whoever else is always helpful on here:)

I had booked Hampton Inn Staten Island for my cruise next month......

Complimentary shuttle to the hotel from EWR and to the ship as well:)

Just thought I would post an FYI......Hilton Garden Inn is the hotel with

the Shuttle and the hotels are next to on another.....well, The Hilton

has the same ammenities....they are the ones who pick up at the airport

and take you to to the ship...AND their room is less money:)

Not "ALOT" less but I changed my booking to stay here instead.

Both offer AAA discounts........Hampton was 176.00 (with taxes) and

Hilton Garden Inn is 167.00....so it is a savings of 9.00;)

Just thought I would let folks know:D

Thanks Lois. The Hampton Inn is usually much less than the Hilton Gardens. Good thing you checked both! However, HG does not offer free breakfast whereas HI does.

What date are you looking at? There's public transit to Newark on Amtrak. However, public transit to Cape Liberty is more complicated and involves a $10 cab ride at the end. Give us more details about what you're thinking.

The big pool of hotels are at Newark Airport, but it's complicated to get to Cape Liberty on public transit from there - probably in the $25 range. You can get a hotel in Jersey City with better public transit access, but you will pay more for those hotels. So you have to look at the total cost.

I'm looking at Sep 8 sailing, Cape Liberty to Quebec. And I will be traveling from DC. I have a place to stay in Brooklyn, and also in Staten Island, so if it's convenient to go to NJ from NY, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

I'm looking at Sep 8 sailing, Cape Liberty to Quebec. And I will be traveling from DC. I have a place to stay in Brooklyn, and also in Staten Island, so if it's convenient to go to NJ from NY, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

It is easier, much quicker, and less expensive from Staten Island to Cape Liberty.

If you are arriving in Newark Penn Station, it is easy getting to Cape Liberty. Take the PATH train to Exchange Place. From Exchange Place take the Light Rail (Stop is on corner as you exit PATH station) to Bayonne's 34th Street station. From there take a taxi approx. 2 miles to Cape Liberty cruise terminal. The total cost, including taxi, will be approx. $12. Have coins for the PATH and Light Rail ticket machines....both trains run approximately every 10 to 15 minutes.

You may have to phone for taxi. There are several local companies that will quickly pick up.

Thanks Lois. The Hampton Inn is usually much less than the Hilton Gardens. Good thing you checked both! However, HG does not offer free breakfast whereas HI does.

Hi Carol....oh, I forgot about that....oh well. I am not switching back

again;)....I will be fine.

If you are arriving in Newark Penn Station, it is easy getting to Cape Liberty. Take the PATH train to Exchange Place. From Exchange Place take the Light Rail (Stop is on corner as you exit PATH station) to Bayonne's 34th Street station. From there take a taxi approx. 2 miles to Cape Liberty cruise terminal. The total cost, including taxi, will be approx. $12. Have coins for the PATH and Light Rail ticket machines....both trains run approximately every 10 to 15 minutes.

You may have to phone for taxi. There are several local companies that will quickly pick up.

thanks, Travelite. Now I need the same info about Quebec - how to get from there back to DC. I'm thinking about Amtrak. How far is the Amtrak station from the cruise terminal? I also might spend 2-3 days in Quebec before returning.

So exactly where in Brooklyn and exactly where on Staten Island? What subway stations your Brookyn place close to? I don't know much about Staten Island and I don't know if there is any public transit from there to Bayonne. Could your hosts give you a ride if you paid for gas and tolls?

If you can get to lower Manhattan on the subway, you can take Path from the World Trade Center to Exchange Place and follow Travelite's directions. We can provide the Bayonne taxi number.

Shuttle to EWR is $16/pp. No reservations. They just fill the shuttles up as folks get off the ship and send them off. When you come through customs,you make a left and go to the dispatcher at the end of the tent. He will put you on a shared shuttle or will get you a private taxi/car. $45 sounds a little low - I'm thinking at least $50 for a private car.

Thanks for the information. We will look for the shuttle and if that does not work out we will take a taxi.

Terry

Your approach to booking right away made sense. I was, and still am, quite ambivalent about the Quantum due to its size. Concerned about how much longer a ship it will be than the Explorer due to my walking issues. But I do like the 12 day itinerary which finally goes to some different ports.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Meg has one of these cabins for a 3 day cruise in Nov, so she will have pictures and feedback about

I really hope i can catch up with you

Carol

Ruth - have you looked at the Nov 2014 EX repositioning cruise? I am booked on that as well. It goes to STM, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, Bonaire, Aruba, and Curaçao. I've never been to Bonaire and I haven't been to Barbados, St. Lucia, Aruba, and Curaçao for a long time. You only have to fly home from Orlando.

Hi again Carol, the more I thought about it? The more I am going back

to where I began;).....I am guessing if I have to buy a full breakfast

at the Hilton Garden it would be at least that 9.00.

So I decided to go back to the Hampton Inn....I guess people cancel

and rebook all the time so nobody should really care.:)

Thanks for the information. We will look for the shuttle and if that does not work out we will take a taxi.

Terry

Make sure that you go left as you exit. The Celebrity reps will guide you to their shuttles, actually large buses. I walked over there and I they said it was over $30 per person so I turned around and went to the other shuttle vans. We had to wait about 10 minutes to get enough to fill a van but it was $16 per person. Getting to the port, we took a private car from the EWR area hotel (Hampton Inn) and it was $55 plus tip. I did ask a cab driver at the airport and he told me a taxi will run between $45 and $50 from EWR to the port.

I have looked at it but not sure about flying. Doubt I can manage 2 weeks with a carry on and walking in airports are an issue for me. Flights to Allentown require changing in Charlotte as well. The ports sound wonderful though.

Ruth - have you looked at the Nov 2014 EX repositioning cruise? I am booked on that as well. It goes to STM, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, Bonaire, Aruba, and Curaçao. I've never been to Bonaire and I haven't been to Barbados, St. Lucia, Aruba, and Curaçao for a long time. You only have to fly home from Orlando.

I have to search out my own deals. What ship is your friend on for Oct 6.? Did they book an inside cabin?

I always book an inside unless the balcony prices out close to the inside. I think the OV is a waste, but that's just me. On the EX all the OV's are down on decks 2 and 3, whereas there are a ton of insides on decks 6-10. I'm never in my cabin unless I need to be there to change or sleep.

Carol, I am so glad to have met you! You really are a font of knowledge regarding Bayonne and cruising in general. We're on the Explorer on Oct 6th. We're working a couple of angles so that our friend doesn't have to cancel her 1st cruise. I'm staying at the Ramada near the airport, but now I'm considering the other hotels that you and others are mentioning. I will have a car so parking costs are a consideration. The Ramada will be $5 a day since I worked out a group deal with them. (My son is getting married on the ship before we set sail) We're going aboard the Explorer next Thurs to finalize some details relative to the wedding. Thank you for passing on what you have learned from your cruising experience!