CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Thanks 138 East for your quick response. So, we are looking at $250+ for a hotel and transportation from the airport to the hotel. Are there other hotels you would recommend for us that have access to a grocery store, public transportation into Manhattan, and close to the pier? Obviously, cost is a factor but convenience, ease of transportation is our biggest concerns since we aren't really city people.

If I use Hotwire for a hotel in Newark, what area would I ask for? And, do you have the taxi number I would call if I use the light rail to get from Jersey City to Bayonne? Also, we have never traveled using a train/light rail transportation and we will have 2 suitcases + carry ons. Is the lightrail suitcase friendly?

Just a note to follow up on the answers already given by 138east: The light rail system is super easy to use, and (apart from rush hour travel) is luggage-friendly (if I may use that term). The light rail trains themselves are actually modern trams or trollies, not railroad trains. There are no steps when you board from the station platform onto the train itself--just roll your luggage straight on (though you may have to lift it slightly over a small gap between the platform and the train).

These videos give will give you a good idea of what the light rail trains are like, and of the Hoboken-Jersey City-Bayonne route where they run:

Personally, I would choose any of the previously mentioned hotels in Jersey City (as well as the Lincoln Harbor Sheraton or the W in Hoboken) over a hotel in Newark... both for ease of transportation into Lower Manhattan and to Bayonne (Cape Liberty) and for a more pleasant overall ambiance. As 138east says, you definitely do not want to use Hotwire for Newark, but (as far as I'm aware) you can generally rely on it for Jersey City hotels.

Edited by Post Captain

Leaving Sunday on the Summit, I've never left from Bayone, what time would you suggest we arrive at the port for departure?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I like to arrive between 10:30 and 11 am. That ensures I am one of the first to board. The traffic into the port is unpredictable - it could be great or it could be backed up. Just bring a book and your patience.

I like to arrive between 10:30 and 11 am. That ensures I am one of the first to board. The traffic into the port is unpredictable - it could be great or it could be backed up. Just bring a book and your patience.

Thanks for the quick response, what time do they actually start to allow you onboard?

My experience with the Explorer has been between 11:30 and 12:30. There is a lounge with coffe, tea, water, juice and cookies. No worse than an airport lounge. I always bring something to self amuse.

Thanks for the hotel advice and videos. They have been very helpful. Another question: Is there a particular car/taxi/shuttle service you would recommend for us to get from the airport to a hotel in Jersey City? Should we make prior arrangements or just get a taxi at the airport?

We are on the Explorer this Saturday and are driving to Bayonne from RI. I'm looking for your expertise on the best route. I was also wondering if there are any residual issues in CT from last week's train accident and also if there are any holiday weekend traffic issues I should plan on encountering. Thanks so much for any help :)

Here are the directions from Mass. You need to get on the Merritt Parkway at Milford CT or cut over to the Hutchinson River Parkway at Rye NY.

Mass Pike I90 to Rt 84 south to I91 south. Take exit 17 to W Cross Parkway, which becomes Merritt Pkwy and then the Hutchinson River Pkwy (Merritt renamed in NY) at I287 at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Take the GW bridge exit (left exit - stay to the right on the exit ramp). On the bridge get in the middle left lane to get on I80 west to the NJ Turnpike. Follow the first set of signs to the Lincoln Tunnel (this puts you on the eastern turnpike spur), but don't get off at the real Lincoln Tunnel exit 3 miles later. Stay on the turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14A in Bayonne. Go directly across the toll plaza and take the up ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you reach the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make the first left turn onto Port Terminal Blvd.

Don't let your GPS take you on I95 through NYC. Once you are on this route, your GPS should adjust itself, but who knows. Just follow the directions. There are no trucks from I91 until you get on the GW Bridge. You will get on at the very last bridge entrance in a dedicated lane.

Terrific! Thanks for your help with my request as well as all the tips I've picked up along the way. Now, if we could just get the weather to cooperate....:p

if you are coming from RI no need to go all the way up to the mass tpke. you can take I-95 south to new haven and get off at exit 47 (rte. 34 west) and follow rte 34 to the merritt pkwy (rte. 15) and then follow 138's directions from there.

Edited by boo214

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the OP should go up to the Mass pike since those are the directions from Mass and need to be adjusted for RI. The cutover from I95 to the Merritt at Milford is seamless - at that point the two roads are about a mile apart and you don't have to get off onto local roads.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the OP should go up to the Mass pike since those are the directions from Mass and need to be adjusted for RI. The cutover from I95 to the Merritt at Milford is seamless - at that point the two roads are about a mile apart and you don't have to get off onto local roads.

actually, i've taken rte 34 to the merritt from I-95 and reverse and its pretty easy and a good moving road. that said it is a little easier cutting over at milford i just prefer to cut over in new haven and avoid most of I-95.

Need some help please.....Carole or Meg.......hi girls:)

The last time I sailed from NJ was in 2010 and I stayed at the

Courtyard By Marriott on Glimcher Way and I hired a car service to

take me to the ship. (that was 3 years ago...actually 3 years

ago this month!)

I am going to Bermuda in August:D and I looked at Country Inn.......

The price for the package where they take you to the ship is more

than 300.00........

Any suggestions from either of you for anything less?

It is only for 1 night.....or do I need to just bite the bullet and

stay there?:rolleyes:

Look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. Airport shuttle and free shuttle to Cape Liberty plus breakfast. Dining is limited - without a car you can eat next door at the Hilton Garden or order takeout. A King is showing at $159 + tax. To get Back to the airport you can take a shuttle from the port for $16.

This is a nice located nestled in the middle of a wooded corporate park. It's hard to believe you're actually in NYC!

Oh...sorry...August 3rd...arriving Saturday afternoon...sailing Sunday:)

Hi Lois,

I don't mean to intrude, and I know your asking the experts, but I just wanted to let you know that DH and I are sailing this Sunday to Bermuda, flying into Newark tomorrow and we booked into the Courtyard Marriott in Lyndhurst, Meadowlawns for the night. Got a king for $116 with AAA and hired car Eddie's Car Service to take us to the port for approx. $85. That was the best price we were able to find for a one night stay. Just thought you may want to check out their prices for August.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Allie

Hi Allie, have a wonderful time:) I LOVE SUMMIT:D this will be my

6th time sailing her!

And thanks for the tip....you are not intruding:)

Edited by Lois R

Look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. Airport shuttle and free shuttle to Cape Liberty plus breakfast. Dining is limited - without a car you can eat next door at the Hilton Garden or order takeout. A King is showing at $159 + tax. To get Back to the airport you can take a shuttle from the port for $16.

This is a nice located nestled in the middle of a wooded corporate park. It's hard to believe you're actually in NYC!

Hi Carole, thanks...I will look at it:)...question...a shuttle to the

airport? Last time I took a cab...it was about 40.00......is this a

shared shuttle? I had an issue with sharing a van...I actually made them

take my luggage out and got a cab instead:rolleyes:

Ok - you don't share rides? Could you do a hotel shuttle like the one from Staten Island? They have a variety of vehicles. The one I saw was like a roomy rental car shuttle. If you don't share a shuttle you have the option of a cab back to the airport or you can return to the Hampton Inn and have them take you to the airport for free.

The Courtyard Marriott in Lyndhurst looks very nice, but they don't have an airport shuttle, so that's another $55.

Edited by 138east

Ok - you don't share rides? Could you do a hotel shuttle like the one from Staten Island? They have a variety of vehicles. The one I saw was like a roomy rental car shuttle. If you don't share a shuttle you have the option of a cab back to the airport or you can return to the Hampton Inn and have them take you to the airport for free.

The Courtyard Marriott in Lyndhurst looks very nice, but they don't have an airport shuttle, so that's another $55.

No, no...I meant when I got off the ship to at the end of the cruise

to go back to the Airport....it was very disorganized:eek::rolleyes:....I felt

like a sardine in this van:rolleyes:

I don't mind sharing a shuttle to the ship:) and I don't mind sharing at all but

these guys at the pier? My experience? I remember being in the van and all

of sudden everything got held up and they put more people in than could fit........

So I got out!

Edited by Lois R

If you want to stay at the airport, aa.com has the Hilton and the Renaissance (which Meg likes the look of) for $129. There is also a 4* Newark Airport hotel with a 100% approval rating on Hotwire for $121.

If you want to stay at the airport, aa.com has the Hilton and the Renaissance (which Meg likes the look of) for $129. There is also a 4* Newark Airport hotel with a 100% approval rating on Hotwire for $121.

I just booked a room at The Hampton in Staten Island.........

How much is it to get to the ship from The Renassiance?