CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

I'm looking for some suggestions about an upcoming cruise I have.

I will be sailing on the Explorer in March. I will be going down two days early to catch an NBA game at MSG. Now, my flight will go into EWR and I've already checked that I can take the Super Shuttle from EWR into a New York hotel.

Now, I will be traveling solo so my main reason for looking at New York hotels is because when the game is done, I just want to hop in a cab as I wouldn't be comfortable taking the subway by myself at night. The hotel prices I've seen so far are outrageous so I'm wondering if a taxi will take me into Jersey City and how much would it be? Also, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to fly in the Wednesday, stay in a NYC hotel for that night, go to the game and then switch to a Newark hotel closer to the port with shuttle service.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This thread helped me greatly for my last cruise out of Cape Liberty :)

You'll be right at Madison Square Garden which is on top of Newark Penn Station which is where the NJ Transit trains leave from. It will be a happening place after a game as many folks will head onto the trains. This is not a subway - it's a regular train.

The train stops at Newark Penn Station and Newark Airport Station, so

you could look at Newark Penn Station Hilton or any one of the Newark Airport hotels. From Newark Airport Station you would take the air train monorail to P4 to pick up your free hotel shuttle.

Overall this could be very cost effective for you. The hotel will be less expensive. For $25 rt you can take the train right to the place you want to go in NYC and travel back on a train that is sure to be full of fans.

By the way, we generally don't recommend Supershuttle in the NY metro area.

Thanks for the great info! I'm checking into it now.

Has Super Shuttle gotten bad? I used them twice before when traveling to NYC alone and it was pretty good. It was $18 I believe, but now it's $20.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

I just checked the Amtrak website and the last train would leave before the game is over. Is there another option that may be available? I checked Greyhound but the pricing made no sense.

A little background. I live in the plains of southwest Kansas and can easily see where I am going and sometimes as far as 20 miles away. Hence, my angst at my very first visit to your area as I know my line of sight will not be that far in town.

Here are our details. We are staying at the Hyatt on the Hudson on September 19 and 20. We wish on the latter date (a Friday) to have recommendations of travel/transportation options. Our desired itinerary follows.....

We would wish to leave the Hyatt and venture to MidTown by Rockerfeller Center and Times Square. This would be an EARLY morning time to arrive at approximately 6 AM at that location.

After our morning there, we wish to venture to WTC to pay our respects to the fallen before returning to the Hyatt. So I would need some advice on travelling this route from beginning to end. I am not adverse to public transportation. I believe we can just take the water taxi/ferry from WTC to the Hyatt or close anyway.

Thanks in advance for your helpfulness. We have followed this thread from its inception, but failed to take appropriate notations.

Best Regards!

Edited by Havana Daydreamin
better explanation of travel plans

You want to look at NJTransit.com Nobody in NY uses Amtrak to go a short distance and I think even Amtrak doesn't want you riding between NY and Newark. There are about 3 trains an hour. It is $5 to go to Newark and $12.50 to go to Newark Airport. No reserved seats. You can buy a round trip ticket from the ticket machine so you only have to do it once.

A little background. I live in the plains of southwest Kansas and can easily see where I am going and sometimes as far as 20 miles away. Hence, my angst at my very first visit to your area as I know my line of sight will not be that far in town.

Here are our details. We are staying at the Hyatt on the Hudson on September 19 and 20. We wish on the latter date (a Friday) to have recommendations of travel/transportation options. Our desired itinerary follows.....

We would wish to leave the Hyatt and venture to MidTown by Rockerfeller Center and Times Square. This would be an EARLY morning time to arrive at approximately 6 AM at that location.

After our morning there, we wish to venture to WTC to pay our respects to the fallen before returning to the Hyatt. So I would need some advice on travelling this route from beginning to end. I am not adverse to public transportation. I believe we can just take the water taxi/ferry from WTC to the Hyatt or close anyway.

Thanks in advance for your helpfulness. We have followed this thread from its inception, but failed to take appropriate notations.

Best Regards!

There are lots of options. I'm assuming you have never used the subway, but unfortunately that is going to be your fastest way to get between all these locations. How do you feel about walking? Many New Yorkers walk if the distances are reasonable, which they would be in midtown between Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Do you have a preference to go to Rockefeller Center first and then Times Square or vice versa?

Ferries are an option, but you should know that the ferry is about $9/pp versus $2.25 for Path and $2.50 for the NY subway.

6 am is a bit early for much of anything to be open in NY except breakfast places. Unfortunately it is the start of rush hour, so you will have the congestion but not many of the benefits of things being open. If you think you're going to avoid crowds, you may be disappointed.

There are lots of options. I'm assuming you have never used the subway, but unfortunately that is going to be your fastest way to get between all these locations. How do you feel about walking? Many New Yorkers walk if the distances are reasonable, which they would be in midtown between Times Square and Rockefeller Center. Do you have a preference to go to Rockefeller Center first and then Times Square or vice versa?

Ferries are an option, but you should know that the ferry is about $9/pp versus $2.25 for Path and $2.50 for the NY subway.

6 am is a bit early for much of anything to be open in NY except breakfast places. Unfortunately it is the start of rush hour, so you will have the congestion but not many of the benefits of things being open. If you think you're going to avoid crowds, you may be disappointed.

We don't mind the subway as such, we just have never used such a means of transportation being where we are.

As for the time, we were thinking of hanging around my favorite morning news show plaza with coffee in hand. We thought that it was still decent weather and there might be segments outdoors that would be fun to watch. So that was the reason for being there so very early.

After that we thought things might be opening up for the rest of the morning. But maybe we are mistaken on that thought.

As for walking once we get up to Rockerfeller area, we don't mind doing that at all.

I just can't decipher the PATH route from Hyatt midtown...looks like 33rd is about the end of the line. Would it be too far of a walk from there? Is it decent area to walk in?

We are completely novices in our first visit.

Any help or thoughts that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

You want to look at NJTransit.com Nobody in NY uses Amtrak to go a short distance and I think even Amtrak doesn't want you riding between NY and Newark. There are about 3 trains an hour. It is $5 to go to Newark and $12.50 to go to Newark Airport. No reserved seats. You can buy a round trip ticket from the ticket machine so you only have to do it once.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

A friend has offered to drops off at the port in Bayonne. Will there be clear directions so that she can get in and out without too much difficulty? Once dropped off with our luggage, do we have to taken shuttle to the ship? Thanks in advance for your help!

What is your experience with this hotel?

I looked on Trinity REservations and they quote a single price. It is hard to tell if that includes the port shuttle. Any help or comments are appreciated. Our cruise isn't until next year, so I am just shopping for the best deal.

Thanks!

We don't mind the subway as such, we just have never used such a means of transportation being where we are.

As for the time, we were thinking of hanging around my favorite morning news show plaza with coffee in hand. We thought that it was still decent weather and there might be segments outdoors that would be fun to watch. So that was the reason for being there so very early.

After that we thought things might be opening up for the rest of the morning. But maybe we are mistaken on that thought.

As for walking once we get up to Rockerfeller area, we don't mind doing that at all.

I just can't decipher the PATH route from Hyatt midtown...looks like 33rd is about the end of the line. Would it be too far of a walk from there? Is it decent area to walk in?

We are completely novices in our first visit.

Any help or thoughts that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

The Hyatt is next to the Exchange Place Path station. Unfortunately the trains that stop there go only to the WTC and Hoboken, so in order to get to 33rd St, you have to transfer at Newport or Hoboken to get the 33rd St. train.

My inclination would be to advise you to take Path from Exchange Place to WTC and follow the signs to the 8th Ave local E train. This is a walk, but nothing like walking from 32nd St to Rockefeller Center. The advantage to taking the E train is that you would get on at the first stop and be able to get a seat and ride to 53rd & 5th. Rockefeller Center is only a few blocks down 5th Ave.

From that area you can easily walk west across town to Times Square. From Times Square you can take the #1 7th Ave local to Rector St to get back to the WTC area. Then you can hop back on Path to go the one stop back to Exchange Place.

I'm sure others will have suggestions. This might not be the fastest route, but for a novice in NY it is an easy, direct, and potentially less crowded route.

A friend has offered to drops off at the port in Bayonne. Will there be clear directions so that she can get in and out without too much difficulty? Once dropped off with our luggage, do we have to taken shuttle to the ship? Thanks in advance for your help!

The signage is poor when you get off the NJ Turnpike at exit 14A. Basically you go straight across the toll plaza and up a ramp that curves left. You stay to the right and make a right at every opportunity until you come to the light at route 440. You make a left, stay, left, and make the first left turn at Goldsborough Drive. This road merges with Port Terminal Blvd which goes out to the ship.

Coming out she will make a right onto route 440 and follow the signs to the turnpike.

Yes, you take a shuttle to the ship.

What is your experience with this hotel?

I looked on Trinity REservations and they quote a single price. It is hard to tell if that includes the port shuttle. Any help or comments are appreciated. Our cruise isn't until next year, so I am just shopping for the best deal.

Thanks!

None of the park/sleeps include a port shuttle. You have to make your own arrangements. Trinity quotes tax included whereas other sites quote without tax.

Springhill Suites doesn't seem to get much play with cruisers. It tends to be more expensive without being significantly better. What other properties are you looking at? The budget park/sleep at EWR would be the Ramada on Trinity.

None of the park/sleeps include a port shuttle. You have to make your own arrangements. Trinity quotes tax included whereas other sites quote without tax.

Springhill Suites doesn't seem to get much play with cruisers. It tends to be more expensive without being significantly better. What other properties are you looking at? The budget park/sleep at EWR would be the Ramada on Trinity.

I have been looking at Country Inn & suites with Stay123. I have also been looking at Hilton Garden Inn. The Hilton and the Courtyard seem a little cheaper than Country Inn. We stayed there last Dec and it was a positive experience. But I have been looking for the shuttle from port to hotel that we can schedule ahead of time instead of the wait we had when we returned from our last cruise.

I have also been looking at staying at Holiday Inn at exit 8 on the turnpike and then parking at the port.

Right now I can't book anywhere because it is too far out.

Exit 8 and 8AM have a selection of nice hotels in a much more rural/suburban setting. My parents lived at exit 8a for a while and after my dad died, my mom lived at exit 8. I have stayed in many of the properties in the area, but not at Holiday Inn unfortunately. Days Inn is across the road from Holiday Inn and is also a reasonable choice. As a family we always booked the least expensive of the chain hotel properties in the area and were never disappointed for just a one night stay.

Exit 8 and 8AM have a selection of nice hotels in a much more rural/suburban setting. My parents lived at exit 8a for a while and after my dad died, my mom lived at exit 8. I have stayed in many of the properties in the area, but not at Holiday Inn unfortunately. Days Inn is across the road from Holiday Inn and is also a reasonable choice. As a family we always booked the least expensive of the chain hotel properties in the area and were never disappointed for just a one night stay.

I actually think it was something you posted that made me look at this area. Thanks for all of your wonderful assistance in planning cruises. You do help so many of us.

The Hyatt is next to the Exchange Place Path station. Unfortunately the trains that stop there go only to the WTC and Hoboken, so in order to get to 33rd St, you have to transfer at Newport or Hoboken to get the 33rd St. train.

My inclination would be to advise you to take Path from Exchange Place to WTC and follow the signs to the 8th Ave local E train. This is a walk, but nothing like walking from 32nd St to Rockefeller Center. The advantage to taking the E train is that you would get on at the first stop and be able to get a seat and ride to 53rd & 5th. Rockefeller Center is only a few blocks down 5th Ave.

From that area you can easily walk west across town to Times Square. From Times Square you can take the #1 7th Ave local to Rector St to get back to the WTC area. Then you can hop back on Path to go the one stop back to Exchange Place.

I'm sure others will have suggestions. This might not be the fastest route, but for a novice in NY it is an easy, direct, and potentially less crowded route.

Thanks a BUNCH!!! That was easy directions and sound advice that I knew I would get.

We appreciate it very much!

Best Regards

The signage is poor when you get off the NJ Turnpike at exit 14A. Basically you go straight across the toll plaza and up a ramp that curves left. You stay to the right and make a right at every opportunity until you come to the light at route 440. You make a left, stay, left, and make the first left turn at Goldsborough Drive. This road merges with Port Terminal Blvd which goes out to the ship.

Coming out she will make a right onto route 440 and follow the signs to the turnpike.

Yes, you take a shuttle to the ship.

I have never turned at Goldsborough always went to the light at Port Terminal to turn left. Is there a light at Goldsborough and 440? Is it easy to merge onto Port Terminal from Goldsborough? Thanks for your great input.

Mike

Edited by Motorman23

A quick thank you to all of my CC friends that have gotten me this far. I'm in the Staten Island Hampton Inn leaving for Bermuda/Summit tomorrow. I am a "picky" hotel person - and this one is fabulous! Breakfast bar is well-stocked with a good variety and is clean, clean, clean.

We chose a king suite (daughter joining us tonight) and its great. It is one of those 1 room suites, but it is the size of 2 normal rooms and sleeper sofa is at other end of room. Room is very clean and well-appointed.

We booked the shuttle service from EWR to hotel, but a delayed flight messed us up. Hotel tried as hard as they could to work things out, but it wasn't possible. We ended up taking taxi:eek:! $49, plus $20 tolls, plus tip:eek:!

Will give you feedback on shuttle when Katie flies in tonight.

Hotel is in office park with Hilton Garden Inn. One man owns both hotels and office buidlings and he is lovely. Met him last night at Lorenzo's, the restaurant in the Hilton. Excellent food, but expensive prices (Herbed pork chop $25, Braised short ribs $28.) Really terrific though! Total bill $112 (2 wines, 1 beer, salad, 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, specialty coffee) I guess we were already in 'cruise' mode:eek:!

Hotel is in safe, lovely environment, but there is no access to anything but other hotel. Ask for even # room, away from highway.

Benefits = Free shuttle from EWR to Hampton/Hilton to port. Lovely hotel, great staff.

Tip: If you're using this hotel/Hampton get the phone # of the Hilton as well. That is where all the shuttle scheduling is done.

Susan

Edited by BamaD

I have never turned at Goldsborough always went to the light at Port Terminal to turn left. Is there a light at Goldsborough and 440? Is it easy to merge onto Port Terminal from Goldsborough? Thanks for your great input.

Mike

You can no longer make a left turn from 440 South at Port Terminal Blvd. That turn was closed and you now must turn at Goldsborough. Yes, there is a traffic light, left turn lane and signal at Goldsborough. (note: Northbound traffic on 440 still enters at Port Terminal Blvd.) There's no problem with the merge...traffic on Goldsborough has the right of way.

Edited by njhorseman

The traffic pattern was changed about a year ago. There are a zillion signs in the area, but do you think they put up a big sign saying Cape Liberty? No..... way too difficult to do that. That's why I give directions from the toll plaza in rights and lefts. My go across the plaza and up the ramp, take every right turn until the light, make a left and the first left is still a valid direction even after the road configuration.

Hampton Inn/Staten Island - part 2

Katie flew in to EWR today and the Hampton Inn shuttle worked perfectly for her... Picked up luggage, AirTrain to P4, Shuttle was waiting. So... we paid $49, plus $20 tolls, plus tip and she paid nothing plus $10 tip!

We took the Staten Island Ferry to Lower Manhattan today. We didn't request the shuttle in time, so we paid for a taxi, $19/$15 each way. It's about 30 minute ride to Ferry, about 20/30 minutes to cross, and 20 minute walk to WTC Memorial. I'll be honest, it was a bit of a hassle (mostly the cab ride) it was hot and we're tired. When DD got here she wanted to take the ferry too, so DH took the trip twice:eek:!

Tomorrow morning the Hampton Inn shuttle picks us up at 9:30 to head to the port. Bonus: There are quite a few Celebrity cruisers and Cruise Critic members at the hotel - lovely folks all!

Thank you all for your help on this board:)! Susan