CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

What age qualifies for the senior rate on PATH/NJ Transit trains and what ID do you need. I'm not from NJ. Would a driver's license be sufficient?

I don't know what ID you need, but the website says 65.

Age 62 qualifies for senior rate on NJ Transit. I've never been asked for an ID when requesting the senior fare, but if you are, a drivers license or any other official government ID works.

On PATH, the age requirement is 65. But you can't just walk up and buy a senior reduced fare ticket. You have to apply for a special ID card in advance, which includes submitting a notarized application form, a photo and a copy of government ID by mail...not something a visitor to the area is likely going to do.

Edited by njhorseman

Since this is a long thread can someone advise what sleep and park options are available?

It is a long thread, but there is a search capability within each thread. The most commonly recommended sleep and park option is country inn and suites (airport) in Elizabeth NJ on Glimcher Realty way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What age qualifies for the senior rate on PATH/NJ Transit trains and what ID do you need. I'm not from NJ. Would a driver's license be sufficient?

Must apply for PATH senior card in advance. Info. and application form is on the PATH web site.

NJ Transit trains:

buy senior ticket at machine -- if r/t is need, must buy 2 one way tickets

-OR-

Senior ticket may be purchased on train with no surcharge. ID will be required. Driver's license is sufficient.

Forgot to mention there is a senior fare for NJ Light Rail also....buy ticket at machine then validate before boarding train. ID (drivers license ok) and ticket are randomly checked on train. Do not board without a validated ticket; fines are given.

Light Rail is handy for getting to/from Bayonne port/pier. Very short taxi needed from light rail to ship....or walk approx. 2 miles. -- flat, easy walk in nice weather. People do walk even with luggage.

We are booked to sail out of Cape Liberty on Jan 5th 2014. We are not sure about driving down from boston the day of the cruise.. has anyone done this or would it be better to find a hotel with parking and transfer?

Thanks,

Kathleen

Driving the day of is fine if you leave early and the weather is okay...approx. 3 1/2 / 4 hours depending on location in Boston area. The route taking you over the Tappanzee bridge will have the least traffic, but is longer. GW bridge is okay especially off season week-ends, but check online for reported delays. Suggest reserving a hotel for the night before, that can be cancelled without a fee, as a back up should weather be an issue.

There are two options for pier parking in Bayonne. One is right at the pier. The other requires a shuttle transfer and is less expensive.

There are several hotels in Elizabeth, NJ that offer park & cruise. I don't know how they compare in price to those on Staten Island.

Can one of you locals recommend this Hotel? We are taking a Caribbean cruise out of Cape Liberty in December and staying after the cruise to celebrate Christmas in New York. I have found the NYC hotels to be too pricey (especially with the extra taxes and fees) and was looking into hotels in Newark.

Would it be fairly easy to take transit into NYC from here?

Are there other hotels that you would recommend above this one?

Pay the price and stay in NYC. You will waste too much vacation time getting in and out of the city. This is a busy, crowded time in NYC. If you are located in Manhattan, all will be at your feet - and - you will have a place to go if you want/need a rest during the day. There are many hotels will reasonable rates...with some online research, you should fine one to fit your budget.

Just booked the Hilton Newark Airport for 11/22/13. I was informed that they have an airport shuttle. But NO CRUISE PORT SHUTTLE!! OOPS I went to the Hilton website not the Hilton Garden.

Just called the Hampton Newark airport and they don't offer a shuttle to the cruise port either. They have a car service that runs 48.00 depending on the number of people.

Am I looking at the wrong place? Thanks!

Edited by debk68

Sorry for not reading thoroughly ! I read back and it is the Staten Island hotels that offer the shuttle. I called the Hilton Garden and she said call in October to reserve the shuttle.

I am so thankful for this thread, who knows where I would be staying without it!!!

:eek:

Thanks for the heads up. Just booked the HGI... just in case. Never have used a hotel shuttle before.

Sorry for not reading thoroughly ! I read back and it is the Staten Island hotels that offer the shuttle. I called the Hilton Garden and she said call in October to reserve the shuttle.

I am so thankful for this thread, who knows where I would be staying without it!!!

:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help please from those who regularly cruise Explorer out of Bayonne please.

I need to hire a car on arrival after the cruise so we can drive out to Long Island and stay there for a few days with family. Can anyone give us some advice on the easiest way to achieve this, there doesn't appear to be providers near by.

John

Thankyou for your detailed instuctions after exiting at 14A. Yes signs would be helpful. We are staying for 2 nights precruise out of Cape Liberty in order to visit NYC. It will be Oct 25,26,this year. We got a last min deal on Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda where we honeymooned 39 years ago. Therefore I am trying to arange last min. accommodations. I have read about Elizabeth NJ and the Staten island hotels. Which would be easier for public transit into NYC. I have stayed in Manhatten before and used the subway around the Penn Station. We will have a car and therefore are looking to park at Cape Liberty or find a park and cruise hotel package. I have heard that cars can be frequently damaged at the Cruise port parking but am I only hearing the bad stories? Would you recommend a park and cruise pkg instead? And is Elizabeth NJ or the hotels in the Staten Island area easier for public transportation into NYC. Many of the reccommended hotels are already fully booked. I have a friends and family link for the Comfort Inns,Clarion,Quality Inn but have not seen any of this chain recommended on cruise critic in the above mentioned areas. Thanks for any advice you can give me

How much do you want to spend on a hotel? Do you have a total budget for hotel, pier transportation if required, and parking,if required?

I am seeing a lot of park/sleeps for your date. The most budget conscious one would be two nights at $117 incl tax and 14 days parking. This would require an additional $100 for round trip port transportation. With a car you can easily drive to Secaucus Junction station, pay to park, and take the train to NYC or you can drive to Journal Square in Jersey City, pay to park, and take Path into midtown or downtown NYC.

Staten Island is not going to be as convenient for running in and out of NY or for coming from Canada.

I am in the process of reading though this thread trying to get some information but thought I would also post my questions;)

We are flying into Newark on Dec 11 and our cruise leaves on the 12. I am looking for help with hotel and transportation. I am thinking the best place to stay would be in the area of the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall. I see there are a few hotels in the area but wondering which one is the best value for the money.

I am also trying to figure out the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the port. Does any of the hotels offer shuttles or is it best to hire a car service or taxi?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a complete newbie when it comes to New York:confused:

I am in the process of reading though this thread trying to get some information but thought I would also post my questions;)

We are flying into Newark on Dec 11 and our cruise leaves on the 12. I am looking for help with hotel and transportation. I am thinking the best place to stay would be in the area of the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall. I see there are a few hotels in the area but wondering which one is the best value for the money.

I am also trying to figure out the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the port. Does any of the hotels offer shuttles or is it best to hire a car service or taxi?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a complete newbie when it comes to New York:confused:

I believe all the hotels in that area have free shuttles to/from the airport. We used the Residence/Courtyard shuttle last month.

We used a car service (Black Car) to get to the port from the hotel, and from the port to the airport after the cruise. Total cost was $120 for two of us, plus tip for both trips.

Dec 11 is a weekday night and hotels at the airport are expensive. There are three hotels we recommend by Jersey Gardens Mall- Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, and Country Inns. The first two are expensive for your date - $169+ tax on Hotwire. However, Country Inns is $127 + tax on aa.com for that date. I have stayed there and would suggest you grab that offer.

How much do you want to spend on a hotel? Do you have a total budget for hotel, pier transportation if required, and parking,if required?

I am seeing a lot of park/sleeps for your date. The most budget conscious one would be two nights at $117 incl tax and 14 days parking. This would require an additional $100 for round trip port transportation. With a car you can easily drive to Secaucus Junction station, pay to park, and take the train to NYC or you can drive to Journal Square in Jersey City, pay to park, and take Path into midtown or downtown NYC.

Staten Island is not going to be as convenient for running in and out of NY or for coming from Canada.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Where are you seeing the park/sleeps that are available? Would it be safer for the car to be parked at a hotel in the Secaucus area than at the Liberty cruise port parking area? I was hoping to take public transit from the hotel into NYC without driving in the city area unless we need to drive to Cape Liberty to park there. We are from a rural area and would like to avoid driving in the

city unless necessary. Cindy

It's hard to give you advice without some idea of your budget.

The park/sleep sites are:

Stay123.com

Buyreservations.com

Trinityreservations.com

Don't book just any hotel on them. We prefer Country Inns and Courtyard Elizabeth and the Ramada for a budget choice. The first two quote without tax and the third quotes including tax, so be sure you are comparing final prices.

Secaucus is tricky. Embassy Suites is the only hotel that offers a cruise package, and it is really for sailings from NYC. Folks have reported that cars can be left at Hyatt Place, but there is no formal arrangement. However, if you decide to park at the port, then you should look at Secaucus hotels. Hotwire often has some good deals.

It will definitely take you more time to get into NYC from Newark. Round trip train from Newark Airport is $25/pp. However, if you get in your car and take the NJ turnpike north 3 or 4 exits to exit 15X (following the signs to Lincoln Tunnel), you can pay to park ($25) and take the train for $3.75 in and out of the city. This is not really city driving - your hotel is likely to be close to exit 13A or exit 14, so it's a quick trip up to 15X on a highway. The only thing at exit 15X is a giant train station surrounded by parking.

Cape Liberty is also not really city driving. You take the turnpike to exit 14A, cross the toll plaza and take the ramp that goes up and curves left. You stay to the right and make a right at every opportunity until you reach the light at route 440. You make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light to go into the port.

I have been reading like crazy here, and thought I would just post my issues:

1. Flying into LGA 10/26 (11am) Need hotel for 1 night (would like to stay in NY and do some kind of tour that includes admission to 9-11, and other NY sites)** need hotel that is clean and safe and Under $300 if possible.

2. 10/27 need transportaion from NY hotel to Bayonne port for cruise.

3. 11/3 need transportaion from port to EWR to fly home.

thanks in advance for all your information, CC is the best!!