CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

What is the closest Amtrak station to the port? And what would be the approximate travel time and cost of cab to the port from that station?

I believe there is an Amtrak station close to the Newark (EWR) airport. I don't know the taxi cost, but we used a private car service a few month ago and the cost was $60 from the airport to the port. The travel time should be around 30 minutes, but traffic varies, so I'd budget an hour to be safe.

EDIT: Upon further reading, it says that the EWR Amtrak station has no access via roads, only via train and monorail, so it looks like you would have to take the monorail to the aiport to get a taxi or car service. It might be that the NJ Penn Station could be more convenient even though it appears to be a bit farther from the port.

Edited by clarea

I believe there is an Amtrak station close to the Newark (EWR) airport. I don't know the taxi cost, but we used a private car service a few month ago and the cost was $60 from the airport to the port. The travel time should be around 30 minutes, but traffic varies, so I'd budget an hour to be safe.

EDIT: Upon further reading, it says that the EWR Amtrak station has no access via roads, only via train and monorail, so it looks like you would have to take the monorail to the aiport to get a taxi or car service. It might be that the NJ Penn Station could be more convenient even though it appears to be a bit farther from the port.

Yes, if you're traveling by taxi or car service to Cape Liberty after taking an Amtrak or NJ Transit train to the Newark area, you should take the train to Newark Penn Station, not the Newark Liberty International Airport station.

I see you are going on the repo next Nov. Where would you be taking the train from?

There is also a public transit + cab option to Cape Liberty from Newark Penn Station that would be no more than $25 for two people.

Please provide more details about your plans.

Has anyone used the Academy bus to get to the port from Long Island. It's about $100 Roundtrip and leaves from 3 areas on the island. If yes any park and ride area?

I never saw a response to this post from a few months ago. Has anyone used the Academy bus from Long Island? It's actually only $75, which makes it cheaper than parking+tolls for 2 people. My father is going to be sailing on Explorer in February and i'm thinking this could be easier for him than driving to the pier and worrying about the possibility of snow on his car when he gets back from the cruise. He lives in Queens and could easily get to the pickup in Little Neck.

Carol, yes we are on the repo sailing with you.

We would be taking the train from Harrisburg PA. Leaves at 7:20 am and arrives in Newark around 10:30. There are 2 Newark stations, the airport and another just listed as Newark NJ. Is that the Penn Station one? Train is direct from Harrisburg to Newark, no transfers.

There will be 3 of us, DH and I plus my 82 yr old mother.

I never saw a response to this post from a few months ago. Has anyone used the Academy bus from Long Island? It's actually only $75, which makes it cheaper than parking+tolls for 2 people. My father is going to be sailing on Explorer in February and i'm thinking this could be easier for him than driving to the pier and worrying about the possibility of snow on his car when he gets back from the cruise. He lives in Queens and could easily get to the pickup in Little Neck.

I took Academy from Boston for my Dec cruise and there was a lady from Academy management on the bus to ride round trip to Bayonne to meet with RCL, so I had a chance to pick her brain. She mentioned that Academy does have a new bus service from Long Island to the pier for $75. For one person this would be a great deal if you can get to the pickup and drop off location.

Academy does not typically provide parking except at their terminal in Braintree MA ($25) and they cannot advertise what parking might be available at their stops or what it would cost. If your father could get dropped off and picked up in Little Neck, that would be great.

I've ridden the bus several times from the Boston area and researched the parking at many stops. The stops in Worcester, Springfield, and Hartford are all next to the railroad station in downtown areas and there is only paid parking. Most folks seem to get dropped off or take cabs. There is a new New Hampshire route from Manchester with stops in Salem, Woburn and Framingham. The Salem park/ride has free parking for up to 3 weeks, but the other two are Logan Express bus terminals and charge $7/day. I'm sure there is a cost to park in Providence, New London, and New Haven.

I haven't seen any detailed plans for the new terminal, but I also hope they take care of the traffic flow problem.

Carol, yes we are on the repo sailing with you.

We would be taking the train from Harrisburg PA. Leaves at 7:20 am and arrives in Newark around 10:30. There are 2 Newark stations, the airport and another just listed as Newark NJ. Is that the Penn Station one? Train is direct from Harrisburg to Newark, no transfers.

There will be 3 of us, DH and I plus my 82 yr old mother.

"Newark, NJ" is Newark Penn Station. There is also Newark Airport Station and Newark Broad Street Station. Since there are several Newark stations and several Penn Stations on the train line, it can be really confusing. I try to be very specific about the station name so folks pick the correct station.

I wouldn't mess with the airport station. Go directly to Newark Penn Station and take a cab to the port.

She mentioned that Academy does have a new bus service from Long Island to the pier for $75. For one person this would be a great deal if you can get to the pickup and drop off location.

Academy does not typically provide parking except at their terminal in Braintree MA ($25) and they cannot advertise what parking might be available at their stops or what it would cost. If your father could get dropped off and picked up in Little Neck, that would be great.

Yes, I expect he could get dropped off and picked up at the bus stop, especially since it's a Sunday.

What I didn't add is that my father has a $100 excursion credit from the agent he booked with (who I sent him to). He's on the 7 night Bahamas cruise and the excursion company doesn't have anything in Port Canaveral (which is too bad since I would have told him to use them for KSC) and there's almost nothing in Nassau because of the late arrival time. However, they also list the Academy shuttles, so he could get 2 of the Long Island transfers for $50 after his $100 discount. At that price, it's a great deal, especially since my father is in his 80's and I'm trying to avoid any chance of him returning to his car after the cruise and finding it covered with snow.

Edited by MisterBill99

I believe the bus fare is $75 round trip. It's $110 round trip from New England.

Even if your father has to take a car service or cab to the bus pick up, it would be worth it. I would certainly be worried about an 82 year old parent driving by himself from Queens to Bayonne in the middle of winter. Parking is $19/day plus tolls and gas. That has to be way more than $75!

Hello Carol!!! Just wanted to take a moment to say hello and ask if you were interested in a solo dining table for the Cruise Jan. 21, if you are still planning to cruise then? Ruth and I plan to be there and I think two friends of Ruth's may cruise along with us.

Well sorry to jump in here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

Donna

Hi Donna! Merry Chrstmas.

I am definitely interested. Just got back this past Sunday and dove into the holiday madness. I have to focus on this cruise now.

STJ - beach

STM - beach

Labadee - beach

San Juan - another attempt to take the ferry across the harbor for dinner

cc138east at gmail

Hi Carol,

Did not realize you boarded the Explorer when Donna and I got off.

Looking forward to sailing with you again.

Let us know about dining. We will probably do the linking next week since ai board Explorer on the 12th.

So do you have any beaches in mind? We were thinking of Little Divi in St. Martin. Are you going over to St. John again?

And more on topic for this board, how was disembarkation?

I actually wrote Adam Goldstein to complain and got a call from one of his assistants. She guaranteed that she would arrange for me to get a number one luggage tag on this next cruise and that they would look into the problems there (since I told her I appreciated her intervening on my behalf but lots of others are impacted as well).

I may book a Bahamas cruise to make it to D+ status for the repositioning cruise, but only if the disembarkation process gets fixed.

Ruth

Ruth,

I will email you about the cruise tomorrow.

Both the embarkation and the disembarkation were awful. Because of your cruise's late disembarkation, our embarkation was affected. I heard lots of complaints about it taking 2+ hours. I missed most of it since my bus did not arrive until 2:10 and I was on the ship by 3 pm.

For disembarkation I got a 9:30 time with number 3 as a D+ and we weren't called until 10:20! I can't imagine what time all the others got off! I have no idea what the problem was since we were docked before 8 am. Both slow downs in customs and immigration due to the sequestration as well as the lack of buses were cited as the cause.

I believe the bus fare is $75 round trip. It's $110 round trip from New England.

Even if your father has to take a car service or cab to the bus pick up, it would be worth it. I would certainly be worried about an 82 year old parent driving by himself from Queens to Bayonne in the middle of winter. Parking is $19/day plus tolls and gas. That has to be way more than $75!

Right, I know it's $75 per person. My father is traveling with his "lady friend", so it will be $150 for both of them for the bus, but they can use the $100 excursion credit making it only $50, which is clearly better than parking and tolls. It could even pay for him to drive to the bus stop a week or two in advance just to see where it shows up, so he knows exactly where to get dropped off. I wonder if Academy has a map showing the exact locations? I did not see one on their website. I believe the two stops further out on LI are at park and ride locations so it's a lot easier. The Little Neck stop says it's the NW corner of an intersection, I believe.

Edited by MisterBill99

Give Academy a call during the weekday and ask Katerina for directions. It sounds like a plan that will work well for your father and give you peace of mind.

Be sure either your father or his lady friend have a cell phone with charger, that the phone number is registered with Academy, and that they have it turned on the morning of departure and the morning they disembark. They also need to:

1) carry the emergency number for Academy

2) register on their set sail pass that they are arriving and departing with Academy

3) check that they are assigned to the Entertainment Tours/Groups category when they are issued their disembarkation tags on the EX

Number 3 is really important. The bus folks usually get a lower number right after the self disembarkation folks and the Diamonds. They need to get off the ship with the bus folks, pick up their luggage, and go through customs. Coming out of customs, they go to the right to the end do the tent and find the bus dispatcher who will give them their bus number and tell them where it's parked.

Hi Pam!

Cab to the pier should be $50-60.

My specific plans are still up in the air since I just got home yesterday. As Ruth mentioned, disembarkation has become a real mess. D+ was scheduled at 9:30 and we didn't get called until almost 10:30. Ship was docked before 8 am. The scuttlebutt was that the delay was due to the sequestration.

Please email me at cc138east at gmail so we are more closely in touch.

Hi Carol: I did email you on 12/26, wondering if you got it. This Season has been a rush of running here and there and we're still at it. I can hardly believe Christmas was only 4 days ago. I feel like I need a week off to pick up the pieces! Pam

We are driving to Cape Liberty for a March 2014 cruise on Explorer of the Seas. We are looking at parking at the port so we can leave as soon as we get back to port so are doing this rather than a parknfly. I am just wondering whether the parking lot at the pier would allow for a small SUV with a roof rack. We have a Ford Escape and I am toying with putting a roof rack on to assist with space for luggage but would hate to arrive at port to find I can't fit in? Can anyone tell me whether the lot would take the escape with a roof rack? I have sailed 3 times on the Explorer but never parked so can't remember what the parking lot looks like. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

We are driving to Cape Liberty for a March 2014 cruise on Explorer of the Seas. We are looking at parking at the port so we can leave as soon as we get back to port so are doing this rather than a parknfly. I am just wondering whether the parking lot at the pier would allow for a small SUV with a roof rack. We have a Ford Escape and I am toying with putting a roof rack on to assist with space for luggage but would hate to arrive at port to find I can't fit in? Can anyone tell me whether the lot would take the escape with a roof rack? I have sailed 3 times on the Explorer but never parked so can't remember what the parking lot looks like. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

No problem, surface parking lot, not a structure.

Still thinking of using Amtrak for our Nov cruise. 138east suggested Newark Penn Station is better for going directly to the port. Now we might be arriving on the evening before the cruise so we would need to find a decent hotel that is easy to get to. Need suggestions for hotels near Penn Station or would it be better to do Amtrak at the airport to get a decent hotel?