CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We're going to be doing the 8/17 Summit sailing out of Bayonne. We'll be driving from MA & will likely just park at the port for convenience sake but haven't completely ruled out a stay, park & cruise hotel option. Is our best bet for hotels at EWR? Thanks.

There are several options.

Summit leaves on a Sunday, so driving down the same day is an easy drive as long as you are through NYC by noon.

Another option is to Hotwire a 3*+ hotel in the Stamford/Greenwich area. These hotels are off I95 and are usually under $100. The 3* in Stamford with breakfast tends to be the Hampton Inn and the 3.5* in Stamford tends to be the Sheraton. I've stayed in both and actually prefer the Hampton Inn. This puts you about an hour from the port.

A third choice is a hotel at Newark Airport or in Secaucus. If you're parking at the port, look at Secaucus. If you want to do a park/sleep and leave your car at the hotel, look at Trinityreservations.com for their park/sleep/cruise offer at the Ramada Plaza.

Do you have the cars only directions through NYC?

Sorry I know its been posted before but can't find it. Does anyone have telephone number for independent driver?

We are looking for a price from country inns to Bayonne and want to compare with dial7.

Thanks.

office is 888-816-0973, his cell phone is 732-939-3493, when I called last fall he told me it was $45 for 2 (not including tip).

Another option is to Hotwire a 3*+ hotel in the Stamford/Greenwich area. These hotels are off I95 and are usually under $100. The 3* in Stamford with breakfast tends to be the Hampton Inn and the 3.5* in Stamford tends to be the Sheraton. I've stayed in both and actually prefer the Hampton Inn. This puts you about an hour from the port.

Next time you stop in Stamford, let me know. Would love to buy you dinner and repay you for all the wonderful information you provide on this forum.

With no traffic Stamford is an hour and 10 minutes from Cape Liberty. It has taken us as long as 2 1/2 hours - one time -as 2 lanes of the upper level GW Bridge were closed and that was on a Saturday. What a headache. Last time we sailed in September we left the house at 8:15 AM and got there in just over an hour. No traffic and no construction. It was unbelievable. Wish it was always like that.

We have family events in Westchester and Greenwich and sometimes have to stay overnight. The Westchester hotels are too expensive so I just pick the best sounding 3*+ hotel from Hotwire and go with it. None of the 3*+ hotels in ?Greenwich or Stamford are going to be dives. The Hampton Inn is an older property with larger rooms, and easy in easy out parking across from a small river in downtown. The Sheraton is a larger hotel right in downtown and they charge for parking. I've also stayed at the Super 8 and one other hotel.

I always listen to 1010 or 880 for the traffic and almost always take the Henry Hudson Pkwy. If the GW Bridge is screwed up, you can just stay on the HH and go down 12th Ave to the Holland Tunnel and out the Turnpike to exit 14A. That actually probably a faster route, but I don't recommend it only because of the number of folks on CC who are freaked out by the idea of driving in NYC.

I always listen to 1010 or 880 for the traffic and almost always take the Henry Hudson Pkwy. If the GW Bridge is screwed up, you can just stay on the HH and go down 12th Ave to the Holland Tunnel and out the Turnpike to exit 14A. That actually probably a faster route, but I don't recommend it only because of the number of folks on CC who are freaked out by the idea of driving in NYC.

I live in northern Westchester. What I normally do (especially on Sunday since Paramus stores are closed so the traffic is very light) is to take the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway and exit onto Route 17. I then take that south for a few miles to Route 3 and pick up the Turnpike. You might hit traffic on 17 but I think it's much better than the Deegan, GWB or Manhattan traffic.

If you're coming from far south of I-287, this probably doesn't make that much sense. From Stamford, it would be perfect.

Edited by MisterBill99

I live in northern Westchester. What I normally do (especially on Sunday) is to take the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Garden State Parkway and exit onto Route 17. I then take that south for a few miles to Route 3 and pick up the Turnpike. You might hit traffic on 17 but I think it's much better than the Deegan, GWB or Manhattan traffic.

If you're coming from far south of I-287, this probably doesn't make that much sense. From Stamford, it would be perfect.

MisterBill - thanks for that. We have always wondered how we would get over from Garden State Parkway if we had to take that route. So far we have not. Do you know the exit number to get onto Route 17 from GSP?

Although it is longer mileage wise and kind of going out of the way, if there's an accident or construction on GWB or Cross Bronx - traffic becomes a nightmare.

MisterBill - thanks for that. We have always wondered how we would get over from Garden State Parkway if we had to take that route. So far we have not. Do you know the exit number to get onto Route 17 from GSP?

Although it is longer mileage wise and kind of going out of the way, if there's an accident or construction on GWB or Cross Bronx - traffic becomes a nightmare.

It's exit 163, and it's on the left.

The Deegan/Cross Bronx are rarely good and often infuriating. Coming from CT, I would certainly not take I-95 all the way down to the Cross Bronx. Getting onto I-287 is much nicer. If you really want to do the GWB, get on the Saw Mill Parkway and take the Henry Hudson Bridge (which has a toll, EZ Pass only, or they send you a bill). Then at least you avoid moss of the Cross Bronx traffic.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites at Newark airport in April before out Selebrity Summit cruise. What is our best option to get from the hotel to the port. It's just the 2 of us. Cab? shuttle? car service? What can I expect to pay? Thank you

I had the same question for best option on transportation for 2 from ES to the port...I didn't see an answer on this. Did I miss it? Thanks!

There are several options.

Summit leaves on a Sunday, so driving down the same day is an easy drive as long as you are through NYC by noon.

A third choice is a hotel at Newark Airport or in Secaucus. If you're parking at the port, look at Secaucus. If you want to do a park/sleep and leave your car at the hotel, look at Trinityreservations.com for their park/sleep/cruise offer at the Ramada Plaza.

Do you have the cars only directions through NYC?

Thank you for the great info Carol. We will likely want to leave the car at the port. For the money we're saving in airfare by cruising out of NJ instead of FL I think we'll spring for the port parking. My DH is originally from NYC so I think he should be able to find his way around any traffic in NYC but if there are some specific directions here on CC I should know about please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for your help.

Here are some directions. Please ask if you have any questions. These were originally for the Manhattan pier.

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway wt Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

I am thinking of staying at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Hoboken. I found this transportation company and was wondering if anyone had heard of this transportation company? Hoboken A1 Taxi Limo Services. Also if there is any good or bad information about the hotel? Thanks for any info:D!

Is this for the Quantum? I see you're booked a week before me.

I have no problem with the Hyatt. It's one of the nicest precruise hotels for Cape Liberty.

Could you give us more details about your plans? Are you just staying overnight or are you sightseeing in NYC? Did you look at the Westin in the Newport area or the W in Hoboken?

Unfortunately I can't give you any feedback on the car service. Once you settle your hotel, you can perhaps ask them for a transportation recommendation.

Yes we are on the Quantum! We are coming in on Friday and Sunday is the cruise. We stayed at the Courtyard in Jersey City last time and had a blast going to NYC and be-bopping around. We thought we would take the ferry and do the statue of liberty dinner cruise, on the night before the cruise. Last time we got a car service from the airport to the hotel from the hotel to the cruise port and from the cruise port to the airport. It worked well for us. Unfortunately, I do not see the car transportation we took last time. :( We really liked them.

Car service for $50-60 is your best option.

Thank you and another car service question: What should we expect to pay for a car service taking us (2 people) from LGA to our hotel near EWR? (Embassy Suites) Not sure if we'll book flights into EWR or LGA at this point...we'll be arriving mid-day on a Friday if that makes a difference.

My guess is that a car service from LGA to Embassy Suites would be around $120.

What are you paying for Embassy Suites? What is your exact date?

If I were going to fly into LGA and pay for a car service to NJ and then another car service to Cape Liberty, I'd be tempted to look on Hotwire for one of the 4* hotels on the Hudson River in the Weekhawken/Hoboken/Jersey City area that are often excellent deals on a Sat night in the summer months. There are only 4 hotels in this category - Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, the Hyatt, the Westin and the W. I looked at Aug 9 and I'm seeing one of these hotels for $191 on Hotwire and the Embassy Suites at $189.

Edited by 138east

Thank you and another car service question: What should we expect to pay for a car service taking us (2 people) from LGA to our hotel near EWR? (Embassy Suites) Not sure if we'll book flights into EWR or LGA at this point...we'll be arriving mid-day on a Friday if that makes a difference.

I don't understand why you would even consider flying into LGA for a cruise from NJ. The only thing that would make it reasonable is if you were going to stay in Manhattan before the cruise.

You'd be better off renting a car to get to your hotel, then dropping it off at EWR and have the hotel pick you up at the airport.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Edited by MisterBill99

My guess is that a car service from LGA to Embassy Suites would be around $120.

What are you paying for Embassy Suites? What is your exact date?

If I were going to fly into LGA and pay for a car service to NJ and then another car service to Cape Liberty, I'd be tempted to look on Hotwire for one of the 4* hotels on the Hudson River in the Weekhawken/Hoboken/Jersey City area that are often excellent deals on a Sat night in the summer months. There are only 4 hotels in this category - Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, the Hyatt, the Westin and the W. I looked at Aug 9 and I'm seeing one of these hotels for $191 on Hotwire and the Embassy Suites at $189.

Our date is Friday, Oct 31st. Rate we got at ES is $159 (incl taxes) Just trying to see what the comparison is if we flew Southwest into LGA (free luggage) vs. going into EWR on another airline and having those fees but no car service from airport to hotel...we'd be looking at $120 in bag fees...thanks