CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

For 6 people in three rooms you can't do any better - that's under $70/pp + gas and tolls. Just be sure to touch base with the Hampton Inn to find out when you need to call to book the shuttle to and from the port.

We drive to Bayonne as well. But even when we fly I just use zip-ties. If we fly I put extra, different colored, ones inside for TSA to use. I do this so the zippers won't open accidently.

Locks are for honest folks. Zippered cases can be accessed with a ballpoint pen, if you know how.

Thanks. We'll do that for our zippered luggage.

We also have hard-side luggage we'd like to use (the kind that has a built in lock.) If unlocked, you would put a finger underneath of the short edge of the latch and pull it up to open the latch. Should we lock it?

Hello,

We're driving down from the Boston Area (Hi Carol!) for the Quantum Christmas sailing, and are looking for a hotel for the 12/19 night before departure.

I see the recommendations for the Hampton Inn Staten Island and Country Inn with the park and stay packages, but we're a party of 3, and we're thinking that the slightly extra money to park at the pier might be worth the extra hassle of coming back on the hotel shuttle to claim our car and shuffling luggage to yet another vehicle when we just want to hit the road to head home.

So. my questions are- what hotels would be best for the one night stay coming down from the NE, and do you have any advice (good or bad) to help with our thoughts about the park and stay vs parking at the pier decision?

Many thanks- you all do a great job helping others with this thread!

Wendy

Hello,

We're driving down from the Boston Area (Hi Carol!) for the Quantum Christmas sailing, and are looking for a hotel for the 12/19 night before departure.

I see the recommendations for the Hampton Inn Staten Island and Country Inn with the park and stay packages, but we're a party of 3, and we're thinking that the slightly extra money to park at the pier might be worth the extra hassle of coming back on the hotel shuttle to claim our car and shuffling luggage to yet another vehicle when we just want to hit the road to head home.

So. my questions are- what hotels would be best for the one night stay coming down from the NE, and do you have any advice (good or bad) to help with our thoughts about the park and stay vs parking at the pier decision?

Many thanks- you all do a great job helping others with this thread!

Wendy

The Hampton Inn is going to cost you $232 for 3 people on 12/19. Add on a $13 bridge toll, some extra turnpike toll, gas, and most of all time so I don't think it is your best choice.

Parking at the pier is $133 for a 7 night cruise. You can get a Newark Airport hotel in the $120-150 range, maybe less if you prepay.

I would park at the pier and search for a hotel that suits for 3 people. Secaucus is also an option. There's nothing like getting off the ship and right into your car to start the long drive back to Mass.

Where is the deck 1 gangway located when you get off the shuttle bus, Forward or Aft? (or if different buses stops at either, for faster unloading purposes). Want to get up to the Windjammer for lunch and liked to know if I will have to walk the length of the ship to do so.

The Hampton Inn is going to cost you $232 for 3 people on 12/19. Add on a $13 bridge toll, some extra turnpike toll, gas, and most of all time so I don't think it is your best choice.

Parking at the pier is $133 for a 7 night cruise. You can get a Newark Airport hotel in the $120-150 range, maybe less if you prepay.

I would park at the pier and search for a hotel that suits for 3 people. Secaucus is also an option. There's nothing like getting off the ship and right into your car to start the long drive back to Mass.

Great- thanks so much!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I came back to provide a review of the Courtyard Newark Downtown.

The facilities are really nice, the rooms were spacious and surprisingly quiet and the staff was exceptional. I'm actually still in direct contact with the operations manager to get the stay applied to my Marriott rewards. The only negative was location for me. Although it's in the heart of downtown, I felt unsafe when I was walking on the street that I opted not to go into Manhattan. Despite this, I would definitely stay there again due to the service I received. It was a flat fee of $60 for me to get to the port as well.

I will post pictures soon!

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Hello, My husband and I are going on the Repositioning cruise on the Explorer Nov. 1, 2014 and will fly into Newark Oct. 31. We would like to go to a hotel that is nice, spend the night then take a shuttle or cab if you recommend it for a reasonable price.

Jim and Shirley Butler

Hello' date=' My husband and I are going on the Repositioning cruise on the Explorer Nov. 1, 2014 and will fly into Newark Oct. 31. We would like to go to a hotel that is nice, spend the night then take a shuttle or cab if you recommend it for a reasonable price.

Jim and Shirley Butler[/quote']

Currently I'm sitting in the lobby at the Courtyard by Marriot Newark Liberty Int'l airport hotel. We flew in last night and are waiting for Independent Driver to pick us up to take us to Explorer of the Seas. I can't say enough about this hotel. We will definately book it for Nov 22 for Quantum when we get home. It is stylish, our room was great, the Bistro offerings good. It was 10 minutes from the airport. We picked up our luggage, took the Airtrain to P4, and the shuttle was there in about 10 minutes. I asked the manager when we checked out if he was booked for Nov. 22 and he said he had plenty of availability. I took some pictures that I will post when I get home. I booked this through Hotels.com and paid a total of $119. He said if I booked directly with him the rate would be $150 plus tax. The tax was around $16 and we had 1 king size bed (which was fabulous). Our room even had a balcony. The only down side is that there's traffic on Rt 9 and Rt 1 all night. Eventually I got used to it (it made be appreciate the wind turbine noise I put up with at home) and fell asleep. Jim, as always, fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

Can anyone give me the best directions from central CT (near I-84, Route 9, I-91) to the Cape Liberty port? We're parking at the pier.

I know I can look it up on mapquest or use my GPS, but I'm thinking the regulars here may have better info.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway wt Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway wt Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

THANK YOU!!!!!! Dumb question...am I actually going over the GWB, or just taking that exit which puts me on NJ Turnpike? Clearly I don't know the area!

Would you mind reviewing how I've reformatted the info (so I can follow along easier than a paragraph while we're actually driving) and make sure I didn't confuse anything?

Merritt south, (I know how to cut over to Merritt in CT) to

Hutchinson River Pkwy (at NY/CT line), to

Exit 15, Cross County Pkwy, get in middle-left lane (turns into left lane) to

Saw Mill Pkwy to

Henry Hudson Pkwy (at NYC line) - $4 toll, to

GWB exit, get in middle left lane, to

NJ Turnpike, (follow signs for Lincoln Tunnel) to

exit 14-14A-14B-14C, follow signs to 14A

pay toll & go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left.

On the ramp stay on the right and make the first right,

stay to the right and make another right.

Left at light at route 440

stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd.

Follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

THANK YOU!!!!!! Dumb question...am I actually going over the GWB, or just taking that exit which puts me on NJ Turnpike? Clearly I don't know the area!

Yes, you're going over the GWB. You're not getting to NJ from NY unless you go over a bridge or thru a tunnel. If you mapped it out on Mapquest to familiarize yourself with the drive this would be pretty obvious.

Edited by MisterBill99

Would you mind reviewing how I've reformatted the info (so I can follow along easier than a paragraph while we're actually driving) and make sure I didn't confuse anything?

Saw Mill Pkwy to

Henry Hudson Pkwy (at NYC line) - $4 toll, to

GWB exit, get in middle left lane, to

NJ Turnpike, (follow signs for Lincoln Tunnel) to

pay toll & go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left.

Not a dumb question!!! I just drove most of this this route down and back on Fri and Sat to take a one day cruise on the Gem from Manhattan, so the image of the route is fresh in my mind.

Yes - you do get on the GW Bridge. It is a left exit from the Henry Hudson Parkway and you want to be in the right lane of the exit. You will come off onto a local NYC street for one block. There will be a traffic light and you make a right onto the ramp to the GW Bridge. This access ramp is easy because it has it's own lane right onto the bridge - no merging into oncoming traffic traffic from I95 to get onto the bridge. Traffic spreads out on the bridge so you should be able to drift left into the middle left lane. Don't get crazy about doing this- the important thing is to get out of the far right lane which becomes an exit only lane to the Palisades Parkway. Most folks are headed for the turnpike and I80 west so the signage is good.

Don't get crazy about the turnpike either. In this area the turnpike has two spurs - the eastern and western. The eastern is the original turnpike before it was expanded and it is the most direct route to exit 14-14A-14B-14C. The western route swings west past the Meadowlands Sports complex, but both spurs come back together again just before the Exit 14+ area. I think the eastern spur is easier to drive (fewer trucks) and shorter - watch your speed on this stretch. However, when you get on the turnpike initially up by route 80, the signage tries to send you out the western spur by marking the road division as "Lincoln Tunnel" and "turnpike South" or some thing like that. You need to follow the FIRST Lincoln Tunnel sign, but don't get off at the real Lincoln Tunnel. Anyway, both roads end up at Exit 14+, which is where you want to get off and follow the signs to Exit 14A. Another thought - in this area you can also follow signs to Exit 15X which is the eastern spur exit at the Secaucus Junction RR station.

The other thing to add to your directions is Saw Mill River Parkway SOUTH. You should be already positioned in the correct lane.

Do you have an Easy Pass for your car? I think the $4 toll on the Henry Hudson is now unmanned and there is some sort of automatic billing??? I must confess I cheated on this trip and used the Major Deegan to save the $8, but the traffic times were good for doing this. I have gotten burned by this "cheating", but not this time!

Yes, you're going over the GWB. You're not getting to NJ from NY unless you go over a bridge or thru a tunnel. If you mapped it out on Mapquest to familiarize yourself with the drive this would be pretty obvious.

Unfortunately, not everyone who drives this route is as savvy as the locals about the intricacies of this route and, what is obvious to those of us who do drive it, is a big scary unknown to others posting on this forum. Maps answer some questions, but not all questions. I don't know the EZ Pass answer for the Henry Hudson, so perhaps someone local could comment on that.

What I did not discuss is the return trip via the GW Bridge. If you end up on the upper bridge, you want to be in the far right lane and take the very first exit at the end of the bridge to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway. If you end up on the lower bridge, you want to be in the far left lane to take the very first exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway. The Henry Hudson becomes the Saw Mill River Parkway at the NYC line. You want to be in the right lane to take exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway. Stay to the left for the eventual merge onto the Hutchinson River Parkway North.

If you don't have an EZ pass they bill the Henry Hudson Bridge toll by mail to the address associated with your car's license plate. The toll by mail is $5.

http://web.mta.info/bandt/html/cashless.html

Thank you for the info. We do NOT have an EZ pass (there's no tolls near us.) And no time to get one (we embark this Thursday!)

This sounds very strange to me to have an unmanned toll and mail home the bill. Good to know ahead of time so we aren't confused & panic during the drive. THANK YOU!

Edited by Mom.to.2

Unfortunately, not everyone who drives this route is as savvy as the locals about the intricacies of this route and, what is obvious to those of us who do drive it, is a big scary unknown to others posting on this forum. Maps answer some questions, but not all questions. I don't know the EZ Pass answer for the Henry Hudson, so perhaps someone local could comment on that.

This is it EXACTLY. THANK YOU for your understanding response & help, and for not taunting me.

I went to college in S.I. (20 years ago) and have PTSD from the drive back & forth from my parent's home in CT. Just mention the BQE & GWB and I start twitching! But as you mention in an earlier post, I was entering the GWB from I-95 so hopefully the merge will be much easier with your directions.

Saw Mill Pkwy SOUTH to

Henry Hudson Pkwy (at NYC line) - (unmanned toll, will mail $5 bill) to a left exit for

GWB exit, Will drive on city street for one block. Then turn right at traffic light to go over bridge.

On GW bridge, get into middle left lane, to

NJ Turnpike, eastern spur better but either work (follow FIRSTsign for Lincoln Tunnel) Do not actually take the Lincoln Tunnel. to

Return trip: if on upper GWB, get in right lane and take 1st exit to Henry Hudson Pkwy.

if on lower GWB, get in left lane and exit to Henry Hudson Pkwy.

You're welcome. Lots of folks contribute useful info on this forum. I have written it all up and added additional info as it changes.

If you are going this week, you should know that they are closing the Pulaski Skyway for two years and no one knows yet exactly what the impact will be in the area around exits 14 and 15 other than it will have a major effect on the car commuter traffic into the Holland Tunnel. Please check back on Wed to see if we have any updates about what is going on. This could affect the Exit 14-14A traffic because the turnpike extension is the major alternate route to the Skyway. So just be prepared and leave enough time to get to the port.

Based on my experience driving down Friday morning, you should try to arrive at the NY/CT line no earlier than 9:30 am.

Have a great cruise!