CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Can anybody comment on the transport/luggage procedures for bus arrivals vs. car arrivals at the port? We'll be going in a couple of weeks with two small children and way too much luggage, are trying to decide between driving ourselves around 11AM or taking the TransBridge bus, which arrives later (12:15).

If we drove, we would follow advice upthread to have one person drop off all passengers and baggage at the entrance before parking the car. But are there porters available to help with luggage from there? Are bus passengers deposited closer to the port or given better luggage service? On the whole, I'd rather drive for the earlier arrival, but not if it makes things much harder once we're there.

I agree that earlier is better. Also consider what you will do when you return to Cape Liberty...

Upon returning, you will be called to leave the ship, take a short bus ride back to the terminal, and find your luggage based on your luggage tag number. Then what do you do? If you literally have your hands full like we did (my wife and I had one child with us, and my Father in a wheelchair who I was pushing) here is an option that may work.

We found an able bodied porter and asked him if he would please take our luggage to our vehicle with us. The porters have flat bed rolling carts that are similar to the flat bed carts used in warehouse clubs. After our porter explained that he usually doesn't do that, he said that he would when I told him that we would be appreciative and certainly give him a good tip for his time. He agreed.

We loaded up the cart, proceeded through customs, then we all walked to the car. We were so happy that I gave the porter a $20 bill. Perhaps this was too much, or not enough (thoughts?), but he was very grateful. We needed to get on the road as quickly as possible.

I assume people typically pull their car up to the terminal and load it. We didn't do it this way, so I can't say for sure how this works. Would someone please explain this more fully, and let us know what an appropriate tip would be. Thank you!

We loaded up the cart' date=' proceeded through customs, then we all walked to the car. We were so happy that I gave the porter a $20 bill. Perhaps this was too much, or not enough (thoughts?), but he was very grateful. We needed to get on the road as quickly as possible.

[/quote']

That depends on how much luggage you had and how far your car was. Don't think it was a crazy amount. $10-$20 depending on those variables seems good.

I agree if you have a lot going on this is an option. The other option is to do the opposite of when you arrived. Have someone go get the car and bring it around to the tent and pick up the others with the luggage. A bit more time consuming but it is an option.

First time to Cape Liberty and we're driving. In the picture attached, I assume

A is the parking lot, B is the cruise terminal, with a shuttle bus to the ship, C?

No...the terminal is B, but it looks like what you have marked as C is a ship that's in the drydock company's dock, and the parking lot is the just to the right of the terminal and are split in two by Port Terminal Blvd..

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks! in the picture, do we approach the terminal from left to right, or right to left?

If you look carefully at Port Terminal Blvd., you'll see it loops (curves) near the terminal building. You'll be approaching the terminal from the right, just after it loops. So, you'll be coming in originally from the left, but then following the road after the loop curve you'll have reversed direction and will be approaching from the right. (I know that's as clear as mud, but just try to trace where the road goes on your picture.)

First time to Cape Liberty and we're driving. In the picture attached, I assume A is the parking lot, B is the cruise terminal, with a shuttle bus to the ship, C?

Sorry for asking, but what difference does it make? Are you planing to ignore the direction signs and plan your own route? There's one way into the port area, and they'll tell you where to park.

Edited by MisterBill99

Sorry for asking, but what difference does it make? Are you planing to ignore the direction signs and plan your own route? There's one way into the port area, and they'll tell you where to park.

The driver is kinda grumpy and wants to know exactly what to expect before we leave :)

njhorseman, had to read your note twice, then it made perfect sense, thanks!

Edited by toras

Has anyone made the left turn onto 12th (?) (illegally) to bypass the dropoff point and go directly into the parking area? If you have a small amount of luggage and can handle wheeling it a short distance, it is possible to save a lot of time. (Depending upon how vigilant they are about people driving 100 yards or so the wrong way)

Has anyone made the left turn onto 12th (?) (illegally) to bypass the dropoff point and go directly into the parking area? If you have a small amount of luggage and can handle wheeling it a short distance, it is possible to save a lot of time. (Depending upon how vigilant they are about people driving 100 yards or so the wrong way)

Driving the wrong direction would get you killed, or get you a ticket..you CANNOT do this..there is too much traffic.......not sure why you'd want to create a hazard.....rather silly if you ask me.....:eek::rolleyes:

not happy with any of them...let me think......

the best would probably be crowne plaza. not the clarion..which is out of the way i think..

and days inn? meh...no...not a fan....

what is your budget...dates...how many people....

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

I would avoid the Days Inn, worked in the area and it does not have a good reputation. If you are going to be on I78 then you may want to look at Clinton or Lebanon. There is a Hampton Inn & Holiday Inn just off of 78 in Clinton and a Courtyard just off of the highway in Lebanon. We live in the area and it is easy to get to the port from there, about an hour.

Thank you for the valuable information.

Driving the wrong direction would get you killed, or get you a ticket..you CANNOT do this..there is too much traffic.......not sure why you'd want to create a hazard.....rather silly if you ask me.....:eek::rolleyes:

No, this road has no traffic on it.

Are you familiar with the road I am talking about?

Someone else posted that it will save 5 minutes.......... It has already taken us an hour to go that half mile or so around the parking area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.66444,-74.077934,3a,37.5y,9.34h,87.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4MsFVHKOiS14uYYiuDXdIg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Hopefully the link I posted will clarify exactly what I'm talking about..... there is a lane there for "Authorized Vehicles only".

Edited by Stanthefireman
added a link.

Someone else posted that it will save 5 minutes.......... It has already taken us an hour to go that half mile or so around the parking area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.66444,-74.077934,3a,37.5y,9.34h,87.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4MsFVHKOiS14uYYiuDXdIg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Hopefully the link I posted will clarify exactly what I'm talking about..... there is a lane there for "Authorized Vehicles only".

Yes, and you're the one who said an illegal u-turn....

Do as you wish....but I prefer to not p!$$ of the NYPD......

You have obviously already decided that you'll do this....have at it.....

Not sure when you cruise, but out of our 10 cruises from Bayonne it's never taken us an hour to go around and drop off our luggage and then park. The longest was 20 minutes and that was because we got to the pier just before noon.

We usually arrive around 10:30 AM.

If you're a real fireman and have a sticker in your window like the cops do for PBA, are you do you get "professional courtesy" if you get pulled over?

Let us know how it works out. I wouldn't do it, myself.

]

It wouldn't be the NYPD :).

Edited by MisterBill99

Does anyone have a picture of the construction at the port??

I would like to know if they have started anything yet?

We are booked on the Quantum and the days are going by pretty fast, have not heard of seen anything about the new terminal.

Helen

Yes, and you're the one who said an illegal u-turn....

You have obviously already decided that you'll do this....have at it.....

Wow! Such hostility to a simple question....... No, not a u-turn, just a left turn. No, I have not decided to try it next time , either. No, I don't use "professional courtesy" or any kind of placard or sticker to get preferential treatment. I just thought that with the popularity of this post , someone, sometime "MAY" have tried it! No, I don't arrive at 10:30 either. 5 minutes, 20 minutes...... I must be doing something wrong. Only 3 cruises out of Bayonne and one pre-wedding tour boarding. My son's pre-wedding boarding took an exceptionally long time to get around that circle...... So that's why I asked that simple question......

Does anyone have a picture of the construction at the port??

I would like to know if they have started anything yet?

We are booked on the Quantum and the days are going by pretty fast, have not heard of seen anything about the new terminal.

Helen

The latest pictures I saw from "the site that cannot be named" a couple of weeks ago did not show any actual construction, although they had apparently done some prep work like utility lines.

Thanks for the feedback earlier! I decided to take the Entertainment Tours bus to Cape Liberty, and I was wondering if there are any places nearby the port (grocery stores, CVS, Rite Aid, etc.) where I could pick up a few cases of water?

(I'm assuming I would have to pay extra to carry them on the bus since you have to pay extra for more than one suitcase)