CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Hi megr1125,

We are arriving Cape Liberty on rt 78 from PA. Can you tell me how to get to this shopping center? Would like a cup of coffee etc. Don't know what a jughandle is. :) Thanks.

"If you DO NOT have traffic, take the jughandle into south cove shopping center, go to Dunkin Donuts or the Starbucks in Stop n SHop for a coffee, hit the rest room and then pull into the pier.."

Judy

Hi megr1125,

Don't know what a jughandle is.

It's a left turn from the right lane. Usually, you pass the intersection and loop to the right to get to the intersecting road. These can also be before the intersection. You'll see signs indicating that all turns are from the right lane.

It leaves the left lane for people continuing on the road.

It's a left turn from the right lane. Usually, you pass the intersection and loop to the right to get to the intersecting road. These can also be before the intersection. You'll see signs indicating that all turns are from the right lane.

It leaves the left lane for people continuing on the road.

Thanks...there are SMALL blue signs for the shopping center...assuming you're coming from the turnpike, rather than stay in the LEFT lane to turn, get in the right lane, you'll go past the light rail station and around...you'll see it.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle

Here is a rudimentary map - I am not that good at drawing...

BUT the red line sort of shows turning left into the pier...

The BLUE line sort of shows where (ish) you'd go to make the 'jughandle" into the shopping center.

Starbucks is in the Stop & Shop at the back, you'll see DD in front, and there's a liquor store next to S&S as well

You'll be coming from farther down 440, but you'll get the idea...

bayonnemap1024x423_zps5fd1eaa9.jpg

Thanks to you both! Funny how I've never heard the term jughandle. Didn't think to google it. Thought it was just a local Jersey term. Learn something new every day. The map is great. I understand now that I have to be in the right lane to turn left onto the road that gets me to the shopping center.

Thanks for taking the time....

Judy

Just received this e-mail:

Attention Motorists Using the George Washington Bridge (GWB) During the Overnight Hours:

Beginning Monday, June 16, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will resume a steel deck improvement project on the upper level of the GWB that may cause significant overnight delays.

Three of four upper level bridge lanes will be closed in either the eastbound or westbound direction during the hours below:

Monday to Thursday from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning

Friday night from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. Saturday morning

The work will also require several 10-15 minutes traffic holds during the hours above

NOTE: Closure hours will be adjusted to accommodate Yankee games and Meadowlands events.

Passenger vehicles should use the GWB lower level (which will be fully open to cash and E-ZPass) to minimize their delay OR consider seeking an alternate route. Trucks are required to use the upper level at all times. Highway message signs, 511 and traffic reports will advise motorists in advance which direction will be under construction (on any given night). Visit our website for the most up-to-date closure schedule and project details.

For regional traffic conditions, call 511 or visit http://www.511NY.org or http://www.511NJ.org. For real-time traffic updates at the GWB and other Port Authority crossings, register for Bridge & Tunnel Alerts.

This happened to us last year. We had a cruise leave on a Saturday. It was a nightmare!!! Having lanes closed until 10:00 AM is a disaster.

Thanks to you both! Funny how I've never heard the term jughandle. Didn't think to google it. Thought it was just a local Jersey term. Learn something new every day. The map is great. I understand now that I have to be in the right lane to turn left onto the road that gets me to the shopping center.

Thanks for taking the time....

Judy

No prob...we do this at probably 75-80% of turns....the left into the port is an actual left...

glad it helps...may not be totally correct...but you will see...you'll go right past the 34th st. light rail...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

I wouldn't chance it. Disembarkation time is unpredictable. It used to be consistent, but this past year it has run really late. On a Tuesday you have to add in the rush hour traffic considerations. What time is your next train option?

The next train is at 1 PM. Where are the typical bottle necks on disembarkation and are there ways around? If it matters, once will be in late Sept and the other in mid Nov.

Edited by kemenyg

Perhaps the cruisers with recent disembarkation experiences will comment. For sure you would have to self disembark. This is a very popular option since many Cape Liberty cruisers live locally and just want to hop off into their cars.

Disembarkation is from deck 1. Stairwells become crowded with anxious folks and piles of luggage. All these folks and their luggage try to jam onto the shuttle buses. This can be a slow process and tempers are short. Customs and Immigration should be OK, but sometimes they are understaffed. Sometimes there appear to be not enough shuttle buses. Sometimes the ship arrives but is not cleared immediately. A lot of unpredictable possibilities.

When I cruised in Dec I had one of the first regular disembarkation times at about 8:45 and our group was not even called until 9:30. If I recall correctly, self disembarkation started late as well.

If your mid Nov ship is the Quantum, I wouldn't risk it. Bigger ship, more people, and no track record for the ship arriving at Cape Liberty. Chances are the new terminal may not yet be open.

No...10 AM is too early to get to Newark Penn station for Amtrak.

I don't anticipate all of the construction in the area being done, and frankly they will still have one way in and out of the pier I think...judging by how fast things are NOT moving...

If the ship is late for any reason you are totally screwed...

BTW the EWR rail station is NOT accessible by vehicle...you must go to P4 and get the airtrain (monorail) to the station, provided you sail AFTER the repairs are made..

Amtrak-speak for the downtown Newark rail station is NWK.....so please make sure you book correctly.

You can use the EWR station but you will need to buy an airtrain access ticket from the New Jersey Transit vending machines for $5.50. ( I can't remember and can't find info on whether they roll this fee into the Amtrak ticket...they might but be prepared if not..)

Here I go assuming that Amtrak at EWR is like in Europe where you can just walk to the station from the airport.:rolleyes:

So then, what is the better option for Amtrak, EWR or NWK? Are there shuttles from the cruise terminal to NWK or are taxis the only way there?

EDIT: I just checked and there hourly trains from Newark so it seems that's the way to go. 10:51 AM train?

EDIT2: The Airtrain fare is probably in the Amtrak fare from EWR since in both directions the price is $5 more than from NWK.

Edited by kemenyg

I see you are from Frankfurt. First of all where are you going on Amtrak? You will be booking from NWK.

When you come out of customs, you need to go left to the taxi dispatcher and tell him you want to go to Newark Penn Station. He can get you a private car/taxi or he may be able to have you share a ride to Newark Penn Station.

Well....you don't get off the train and walk into the terminal....the station is a mile or 2 away.....

The mess with the airtrain is SUPPOSED to be done in July...the airtrain is designed for luggage, the fare gates, not so much ( i go through the wheelchair gate since it's actually BIGGER....logic would say make it EASY for people to move around at an airport yes? Um, no.:eek::rolleyes:)

You can go to EWR if you're flying home...if you're going to DC go to NWK (Newark Penn)...at least they have "red caps" (porters) to help with your bags there...no such luck at the airport station [though they usually only have 1 or 2 working...grr]

If you're going to DC, just go to NWK/Newark Penn.

BTW..... HERE is a link to Dulles airport info....with ways to get there from Washington Union Station ...when I did that trip, (Union station to IAD) I booked a shuttle.......worked pretty well...)

Thanks for the info on EWR and NWK train station. I usually live in the DC area so I know that end pretty well.

I was debating the option of using a one way car rental but the hassle of driving (done it several times) vs. relaxing on the train steered me toward the train.

And I get to do it again after the Quantum TA.:cool:

I'm disappointed too Stan, but I've booked a lot of exciting future options on the BOGOHO that include Alaska, Hawaii, and the Panama Canal in 2015 and 2016. I'm also on the Quantum in January. I'll have to get my act together and update my signature.

I actually booked the Anthem in 2016, but it was much more expensive than the Quantum for me. I cancelled it. For the same money I can do 15 days through the Panama Canal plus a few days visiting DGD's in Oregon. For a lot less money I can do the Southern Caribbean from FLL on the Serenade. Since I go to Oregon several times a year, it makes sense to take advantage of the very limited RCL sailings to and from the West Coast.

There are basically two options - car service or public transit. Car service will run about $100. For public transit you would take a cab to the PATH entrance next to Penneys on 6th Ave near 32nd St, take the elevator down to PATH, take Path to Hoboken for $2.50/pp, take the elevator up to the street, get on the light rail to 34th St in Bayonne for $2.10/pp, and call a cab to take you into the port for $10-12.

On a Sunday morning the public transit thing would be uncrowded. I have personally done this trip with luggage and it was very easy - all elevators and level access to trains. I can provide more details if you are interested. It takes about an hour (maybe a little longer on a Sunday), but it is a nice trip and the views of New York from Hoboken Station are excellent.

Thank you so much for that very specific info. Here is my email if other details are available. I really want to spend my three days pre-cruise in NY. We hope to attend a broadway play or two. Suggestions about tickets?

CruiseEmails at gmail dot com is my email address. Thank you so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a thread with lots more details about going to Bayonne on public transit including other links and videos. In post 16 there is a link to a picture of the PATH Entrance next to Penneys.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838036&highlight=penney

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

I'm not good with tickets, but I'm sure someone else will help.

Help me please! We are doing a last minute cruise on June 22 to Bermuda on Summit. Flying in late on 21st and will book a hotel near airport and get a shuttle/car service to the pier. Suggestions on that?

When we get back on the 29th hubby and the kids would like to go to the Yankees game. I was considering staying in Jersey City, but would we be better to stay closer to the stadium? It is an 8 pm game and we are not familiar with the city and are worried about getting back to the hotel late at night. Also, need to factor in how to get from port to the hotel on Sunday. Monday I need to rent a car as we are going to do some sightseeing on way to Philadelphia for our flight.

Thanks in advance!

Help me please! We are doing a last minute cruise on June 22 to Bermuda on Summit. Flying in late on 21st and will book a hotel near airport and get a shuttle/car service to the pier. Suggestions on that?

When we get back on the 29th hubby and the kids would like to go to the Yankees game. I was considering staying in Jersey City, but would we be better to stay closer to the stadium? It is an 8 pm game and we are not familiar with the city and are worried about getting back to the hotel late at night. Also, need to factor in how to get from port to the hotel on Sunday. Monday I need to rent a car as we are going to do some sightseeing on way to Philadelphia for our flight.

Thanks in advance!

Are you flying into Newark?? Need to know that.

I would contact Independent Driver and see if they can take you..no website, but they have a toll free number and many CCers use them

888-816-0973 Ext 0

Assuming you're flying into EWR look at some of these...close to eating and an outlet mall, though NOT close to a supermarket or CVS-type place..

Embassy Suites EWR - brand newish...and they have a shuttle that goes within 3-5 miles...so NOT to the pier but probably to a grocery store if needed..

Courtyard or Residence Inn by Marriott EWR/Elizabeth (there are 2 CYs)

Country Inn EWR/Elizabeth...

all will have airport shuttles....you'll claim your bags and PROBABLY follow signs to get to the intra-terminal shuttle to P4 which is where the hotel shuttles pick up.....(there is a monorail but it's not running due to track construction..)

As for NY..welllll.....I will let the NYers chime in...you can get around with public transit if you stay in Jersey City...PATH to Penn Station area I guess to subway to the stadium area...(not sure on this at all....where's Sid when we need him)

As for car rental......some hotels in Jersey City may have pick up locations..otherwise you'd have to get back to EWR....

AVIS has a location at the Newport Center Mall in Jersey City

http://locations.avis.com/nj/jersey-city/jc3.html

As does Budget

http://locations.budget.com/nj/jersey-city/j1c.html?IN=0076171C

and Hertz

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location?search=Harborside%20Financial%20Center%20HLE&triggerSearch=true&searchFrom=Homepage&locType=pUp#results

I would call the locations to determine availability of cars

Edited by megr1125