CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Driving to Cape Liberty Dock from Pittsburgh.

Any one every stay at or have a review on:

Crown Plaza - on Lincoln Hwy, Edison, NJ?

or

Clairon Inn, route 1, N. Brunswick, NJ?

or

Days Inn, Route 22, Bridgewater, NJ?

Not sure which route we will be traveling yet so I booked all three of these and will cancel depending on my driver's choice on route and your suggestions. Thanks!!!!

or

or

Not sure which route we will be traveling yet so I booked all three of these and will cancel depending on my driver's choice on route and your suggestions. Thanks!!!!

not happy with any of them...let me think......

the best would probably be crowne plaza. not the clarion..which is out of the way i think..

and days inn? meh...no...not a fan....

what is your budget...dates...how many people....

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

Edited by megr1125

not happy with any of them...let me think......

the best would probably be crowne plaza. not the clarion..which is out of the way i think..

and days inn? meh...no...not a fan....

what is your budget...dates...how many people....

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

~$120 or less, one night - May 17, two people

We are trying to keep the cost down since we will be doing pier parking. Basically want a place that has safe parking and is clean. Not looking to impress or sightsee that saturday evening. The cruise will supply all that. :-)

Of the 3 you said, I think the Crowne Plaza is the best choice....followed by the days inn (if you have AAA you might save some money as well)

You could look in Parsippany as well....or maybe Woodbridge...

The Bridgewater Marriott is very nice but a little over budget, though not much....or the Bridgewater Residence Inn, or even the Hilton Garden Inn....

Just a couple alternatives......hope that helps...

or

or

I would avoid the Days Inn, worked in the area and it does not have a good reputation. If you are going to be on I78 then you may want to look at Clinton or Lebanon. There is a Hampton Inn & Holiday Inn just off of 78 in Clinton and a Courtyard just off of the highway in Lebanon. We live in the area and it is easy to get to the port from there, about an hour.

~$120 or less, one night - May 17, two people

We are trying to keep the cost down since we will be doing pier parking. Basically want a place that has safe parking and is clean. Not looking to impress or sightsee that saturday evening. The cruise will supply all that. :-)

So it seems like you're sailing on Summit, so that's 7 nights. Parking is going to cost you $133. For that price you could stay at a hotel at Newark airport usng Trinity Reservations, or maybe one of them in Staten Island and get free parking for the week. You'd have to pay for a shuttle to the pier if you did an EWR hotel, but I'll bet it still wouldn't be any more expensive than hotel and parking, and probably less.

I know parking at the pier is $133 for a seven night stay, is there sufficient parking there if we get to the pier about 1 or 2. I don't want to get over there and find out it is full. Are there still issues with paint spraying on the cars- we haven't parked there in four years?

I know parking at the pier is $133 for a seven night stay, is there sufficient parking there if we get to the pier about 1 or 2. I don't want to get over there and find out it is full. Are there still issues with paint spraying on the cars- we haven't parked there in four years?

There's never been a report of someone being turned away because the lot was full.

The spray painting issued was solved a couple of years ago. There have been no recent reports of problems.

Just remember that you need to be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure, so if your ship sails at 4 pm, planning to get there at 2 pm doesn't leave you much wiggle room for traffic delays you might encounter when driving to the port.

Edited by njhorseman

We have booked at the Hampton inn on Staten Island. They provide a complimentary shuttle to and from the port and allow you to leave your car at the hotel.

It is the best deal we could find where we did not have to park at the pier. Cost wise it comes out less than parking at the pier.

There's never been a report of someone being turned away because the lot was full.

The spray painting issued was solved a couple of years ago. There have been no recent reports of problems.

Just remember that you need to be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure, so if your ship sails at 4 pm, planning to get there at 2 pm doesn't leave you much wiggle room for traffic delays you might encounter when driving to the port.

Thanks for the info. Glad the paint thing was solved.We plan to be in Bayonne by 11 only a few blocks from the turn off to the pier. My plan is to be at the pier at 1 but with saying goodbye to family etc we might be a little later. My cousin used to rent in the apartments right by the pier. They were beautiful, she bought a house though. I could have used her parking if she was still living there but now I don't want to impose with on street parking by her house, hence the pier parking.

Terry

My cousin used to rent in the apartments right by the pier. They were beautiful, she bought a house though. I could have used her parking if she was still living there but now I don't want to impose with on street parking by her house, hence the pier parking.Terry

Every time we drive into Cape Liberty I tell my DH we should move into those apartments. Unfortunately are jobs are in Connecticut.

We will be taking our 11th cruise out of Bayonne on May 25th. It would be nice to live right there.

How far do you gave to carry your luggage if you park at the port? Does someone come to get your luggage from the car?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

You will drop your luggage off with the porters first and then go around to pay and park. Some people have mentioned parking first and dragging their luggage over to the porters, but IMO it's easier to drop the bags off first and any passengers, go around to park and then walk back the building.

You never know where they are going to direct you to park and it could be at the far end of the lot.

Thanks for the info. Glad the paint thing was solved.We plan to be in Bayonne by 11 only a few blocks from the turn off to the pier. My plan is to be at the pier at 1 but with saying goodbye to family etc we might be a little later. My cousin used to rent in the apartments right by the pier. They were beautiful, she bought a house though. I could have used her parking if she was still living there but now I don't want to impose with on street parking by her house, hence the pier parking.

Terry

That's very nice of you. If I had a relative who lived in Bayonne, I'd certainly try to leave my car at their house, unless there were some problem like needing to move the car during the week. Bring her back something from your cruise as thanks and it will still be cheaper than parking at the pier.

Is the current construction for the new RCI terminal causing any additional back ups or parking issues at Cape Liberty?

Eric

From what I have heard, no more than usual, of course YMMV...they really haven't done a LOT of work.....

I will be up there on the 31st so I hope to get some pix to post...when will you be sailing? I have signatures turned off, so not sure when you're headed to Cape Liberty

Can anybody comment on the transport/luggage procedures for bus arrivals vs. car arrivals at the port? We'll be going in a couple of weeks with two small children and way too much luggage, are trying to decide between driving ourselves around 11AM or taking the TransBridge bus, which arrives later (12:15).

If we drove, we would follow advice upthread to have one person drop off all passengers and baggage at the entrance before parking the car. But are there porters available to help with luggage from there? Are bus passengers deposited closer to the port or given better luggage service? On the whole, I'd rather drive for the earlier arrival, but not if it makes things much harder once we're there.

Can anybody comment on the transport/luggage procedures for bus arrivals vs. car arrivals at the port? We'll be going in a couple of weeks with two small children and way too much luggage, are trying to decide between driving ourselves around 11AM or taking the TransBridge bus, which arrives later (12:15).

If we drove, we would follow advice upthread to have one person drop off all passengers and baggage at the entrance before parking the car. But are there porters available to help with luggage from there? Are bus passengers deposited closer to the port or given better luggage service? On the whole, I'd rather drive for the earlier arrival, but not if it makes things much harder once we're there.

Yes there are porters, give them a tip and you're fine....

The bus probably gets there later, and I presume the driver would snag a porter and get the luggage off.

IMO it would be mayhem that way (though not that taking the bus is bad..)

I would drive, be there when you want and be done. Oh yeah, and not be smushed.

Definitely drive and get there between 10:30 AM and 11:00 AM. After 11:00 AM it becomes very busy and congested.

When you drop off the luggage down at the end of the tent there will be plenty of porters there to assist. Definitely give them a tip and they will handle the luggage, then go on to park the car. It's very easy. We will be cruising out of Cape Liberty for the 11th time on May 25th. We always drive and park at the pier.

From what I have heard, no more than usual, of course YMMV...they really haven't done a LOT of work.....

I will be up there on the 31st so I hope to get some pix to post...when will you be sailing? I have signatures turned off, so not sure when you're headed to Cape Liberty

Thanks Meg! We are cruising on June 19th.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Thanks Meg! We are cruising on June 19th.

Eric

Sure....if I go up it will be before then and I will post pix...I did see some, and it looks as if the construction is taking place basically in the lot that was next to the ship, where you'd park if you were going to the memorial, or going to lunch on the ship when the HD invited me... ;):o:p - sort of where the crew enters..

I heard that there might be some sort of power lines but not sure....last pix I saw showed basically a leveled-off space...