CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Hi,

trying to book rooms at Country Inn and suites In Elizabeth...

for a Sept cruise... ( the guy wasn't very helpful :()

needing 7 rooms .. 13 people...

What is the number for the independent driver to see what the rate is to the cruise port- then airport...

I know they charge 35 pp.... with no time guarantee...

do you know a better number to see about booking the rooms...

thanks..:)

Its time to pull up a map. The NJ Turnpike extension is exits 14-14C. 14A is for Bayonne, 14B is for Jersey City, and 14C is for the Holland Tunnel into NYC from NJ. You are going to Bayonne.

There is a major road closure for TWO YEARS starting this week for the Pulaski Skyway which is routes 1 and 9 for cars into the Holland Tunnel. The spillover effect from this closure is expected to affect traffic in the entire area, particularly the NJ Turnpike extension (exits 14 - 14C) which you will be traveling between exit 14 and 14A. You may experience traffic congestion in this section.

There may be more info on this board this week about the effect of this closure. I don't want to scare you, but I want you to know what is going on. There is another whole thread for the Pulaski Skyway discussion.

Edited by 138east

Independent Driver is a low frills car service that offers Cape Liberty transportation for about $45 for up to 4 people. They can accommodate larger groups for about $10 for each additional person. They do not have a web site and you can book them about 4-6 weeks out. Cruisers have been using them for several years.

Its time to pull up a map.

I'm not sure if you were talking about yourself or the person who asked the question, but I think your comment should apply to them. I know it's great that you are patiently answering all these questions (and I am certainly all for asking and answering questions here), and I know that I will probably get blasted for saying this, but when you start asking questions about whether you'll be going over a bridge or thru a tunnel when you have detailed directions already, it is time to take some initiative and pull up the route on Google Maps or your favorite mapping site and look at the route (which you've already been given in painstaking detail) yourself. Personally, if I were traveling an unknown route I would much prefer to have directions from a website with maps.

And personally, given how complicated the route avoiding the GWB is, and given how concerned the poster is about all of the steps, I would just suggest that they leave an hour early to allow for possible traffic, take I-95 straight from Connecticut to across the GWB and onto the NJ Turnpike and leave it at that (that, BTW, is how Google Maps suggests going). As I've previously posted, my preferred way of going is over the Tappan Zee Bridge, then the Parkway to Route 17 to the Turnpike in Seacaucus. But I would not suggest that route to someone who is unfamiliar with the area unless they were an adventurous sort (or had a GPS that would automatically give you the correct route once you gotten onto the TZ Bridge). To be honest, that's a much easier route for someone from CT since they can get on I-287 from either the Merritt or I-95. The only really tricky piece is getting to the Turnpike entrance once you're on 17. And the tolls are less expensive ($1.50 southbound on the Parkway, $5 or so for the return trip on the TZB).

Mom.to.2, do you not have a GPS? Modern GPS's have lane guidance and tell you what lane to be in so you don't have to write all of this down. What are you going to do it you take a wrong turn on the route you've been given and all you have is printed directions?

138east...I apologize if my questions have become burdensome. I will cease and desist. But not before I thank you again for your expert information. Your time & effort is VERY appreciated, and knowing I have the best route 'mapped' out will make our drive to the port much easier. I will try to post Thursday (my embarkation day) and report on our experience with traffic around exit 14.

Perhaps I should have been clearer from my first post where I stated "I know I can look it up on mapquest or use my GPS, but I'm thinking the regulars here may have better info." This is actually my 4th time to Cape Liberty Port. And I haven't gone the same way twice. Mapquest, Google Maps, and my GPS all disagree with each other. I've gone over the GWB, and I've not. I've gone through the Lincoln Tunnel, and I've not. I may have gone over the Tapanzee too. Clearly there are many, many different ways to get to the port and that's why I came here because I trust the regulars to give me the BEST way to avoid traffic. Unlike Mr. Bill, I trust 138east's directions more than map quest directions.

It's not that I don't want to take the initiative. It's that I'm afraid of inadvertently altering my route by reading directions from other sources. I'm going to try the drive without turning the GPS on, because it can get very distracting when the gps continually tries to send you a different way than you intend to go. I guess my GPS is outdated because it doesn't always send me the best way and it definitely doesn't tell me which lane I should be in. But if I take a wrong turn and get lost, I do have a GPS and it'll get me there one way or another.

I was only half kidding when I posted earlier that I've got PTSD from taking I-95 through CT and over the GWB when I was in college. I definitely wouldn't take that route nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Things I've learned from this thread that I would not have learned if I looked at a map, relied on map quest and/or and my gps:

-the BEST way to get to the port to avoid traffic

-expect heavy delays around exit 14 due to closure of Skyway

-Henry Hudson Bridge toll is unmanned and they will mail me a bill

-which lanes to be in at several different points

-signs to look for a several different points

-you can no longer turn left on Port Terminal Blvd

Again, THANK YOU 138east & NJHorseman!

Edited by Mom.to.2

Good luck and Bon Voyage! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Over the years I have gotten stuck in traffic at various times on both I95 and the Merritt. When I went down this past Friday, there was an accident on the Merritt in Stamford, so I got off and cut over to I95 in downtown Stamford and then cut back over to the Hutch Pkwy at I287. I've driven this route several times a year for almost 35 years and the Merritt/Hutch route has been the consistent road of choice. With a GPS you have options if you encounter a bad traffic jam.

I am finally getting around to looking into hotels for our November cruise. We sail on Nov 18, but are planning on flying in to Newark on Nov 15 and staying for a few days to see some of the sights.

Now the question is do we stay in New York for all the time and then just go to port on the 18th? or stay in New York for the first two nights and near the port the last night? or stay near the airport for all three nights?

Thoughts?

Once I figure out that maybe I can then narrow down all the options.

TIA

We stay in Jersey City and take the Path into NYC. It's very convenient to NYC and the port. We stayed at Courtyard Marriot the first time, and this summer we are staying at Doubletree. Both are within walking distance of the path.

I like Jersey City as an option. Also look at Candlewood Suites in addition to the Courtyard and Doubletree. On Path it is a quick trip into Manhattan, but be aware that there is currently no service to the World Trade Center on Sat and Sun due to track work, so to get downtown you have to go to Chrstopher St to get the #1 train downtown.

There are a number of attractively priced hotels for Nov 15-18 on Hotwire in the $200 price range including tax. Rooms may be small and may have a double bed. However, if your objective is sightseeing in NYC, you should be looking for a hotel in Manhattan. You will have to pay for a car service to the port or use public transit.

Although the Newark airport hotels are less expensive, you will pay $25/pp rt to go to New York Penn Station and it will take at least an hour each way.

Its time to pull up a map. The NJ Turnpike extension is exits 14-14C. 14A is for Bayonne, 14B is for Jersey City, and 14C is for the Holland Tunnel into NYC from NJ. You are going to Bayonne.

There is a major road closure for TWO YEARS starting this week for the Pulaski Skyway which is routes 1 and 9 for cars into the Holland Tunnel. The spillover effect from this closure is expected to affect traffic in the entire area, particularly the NJ Turnpike extension (exits 14 - 14C) which you will be traveling between exit 14 and 14A. You may experience traffic congestion in this section.

There may be more info on this board this week about the effect of this closure. I don't want to scare you, but I want you to know what is going on. There is another whole thread for the Pulaski Skyway discussion.

After our cruise, we are either taking a taxi (5 of us) or private car to EWR Car rental (National). We are then going to drive to Washington, DC. We have never driven in this part of the country. Is it going to be as bad as it sounds getting out of Newark? Any directions are appreciated.

I just have Google Maps - I assume there will not be a GPS in the rental car. Also, will a GPS know about construction and road closures? Thank you.

Edited by Pushkin

You should be fine.

The Pulaski Skyway closure is eastbound only into the Holland Tunnel to New York. If you pull up a map, this is route 1&9 eastbound. It is anticipated that the closure will affect eastbound traffic on the NJ Turnpike Extension(I78) which also goes to the Holland Tunnel.

When you leave Cape Liberty, you will be going westbound on I78 to Newark Airport and should not be affected. Once you pick up your rental car, you will be going south on the NJ Turnpike away from the problem area.

138east...I'm currently enjoying lunch in the Windjammer. Your directions were SPOT on and by far the easiest route we've taken to Cape Liberty. Thank you!!!!!

There was no traffic around exit 14 on the NJ Turnpike. But there was a sign that said the skyway is closing on Saturday, so I'm not sure that has happened yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

138 east......

I just want to thank you for all the info you provide people. Even though a pp said that people should use gps, a computer is nothing like someone who lives there. I love landmarks, (ie, shell station on the left) that makes you feel you're going the right way. So when Sept nears and I ask about the construction conditions.....thanks!!!! :-)

we're back from EX today. As soon as I upload my pics I'll post the ones I took of our hotel room. We flew into EWR Friday 4-4. At baggage claim it was easy to find the airtrain. They have uniformed welcome hostesses throughout the area directing you. We got off at P4 and the Courtyard by Marriott shuttle was there in about 10 minutes. It was a 10 minute drive to the hotel. The Courtyard by Marriott Newark Liberty Int'l was wonderful. The room was spotless and very chic. The on site restaurant is more like a glorified snack bar. They serve Starbucks coffee and their limited menu dining options were perfect for us. The food is typically hotel priced but it was good and portions generous. The booths have little flat screen TV in them so you can watch TV while you wait and eat. Check out is at noon. They have a business center where I checked my email before leaving for the port. I had booked Independent Driver for Saturday to Bayonne. I asked the front desk clerk if she's ever seen them picking up at the hotel and she wasn't familiar with them. But she said they place calls for car service for us, so I didn't worry. At exactly noon, Independent Driver showed up. We were expecting a shared van ride but it was just us in a Dodge Journey. The driver was very friendly and professional. We paid a total of $55 ($45 fare +$10 tip). We were at the port in about 10 minutes. We will be using this hotel again in November for the Quantum inaugural (I asked and they had lots of availability) and we'll use Independent Driver too.

So glad it all worked out well for you. Looking forward to pictures.

Heads up for folks traveling between May 1 and July 15-ish. If you are using AirTrain, you MUST monitor this forum because Airtrain will be shut down for 75 days for repairs. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2023788

This will affect transportation within the airport between terminals. Hotel and rental car shuttle pickups will work differently. NJ Transit trains will not stop at the Newark Airport Station which is accessible only by Airtrain. It will take more time to get around the airport area. There is supposed to be some sort of shuttle service to Newark Penn Station.

Thanks for all the suggestion. I think I have it narrow down and bit but am still looking at Jersery City vs Manhattan. But I think we will stay in one spot for the 3 nights.

Now to research bidding strategies.

Thanks again.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction:

1) I would like to hire a taxi/ride from the Staten Island Hilton hotel to stop at the Russian Teardrop quickly before taking us to the cruise ship port for departure - any recommendations?

2) Also what is best way to get to NYC for few days from the same hotel - ride the ferry, etc?

Any help is appreciated

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction:

1) I would like to hire a taxi/ride from the Staten Island Hilton hotel to stop at the Russian Teardrop quickly before taking us to the cruise ship port for departure - any recommendations?

2) Also what is best way to get to NYC for few days from the same hotel - ride the ferry, etc?

Any help is appreciated

I also have questions. What date are you doing this? Do you know that the Hilton Garden hotel on Staten Island offers shuttle service to the port for a very modest amount more for your room rate? Do you know that the Russian Teardrop 911 Memorial is right at the port next to the ship? It would be possible to take shuttle transportation to the port, drop off your bags, and walk to the Memorial with your carryons. It would also be possible to check in, leave your stuff in your cabin, and leave the ship again to walk to the Memorial. There are also excellent views of the Memorial from the ship and it passes right next to it for sailaway.

Otherwise you should contact Village Car Service on Staten Island to get a quote.

The ferry is the best way to get to NYC. The hotel shuttle can take you to the ferry terminal, but you have to speak to the hotel to arrange a time for them to do that. They may be able to pick you up on the way back, but maybe not, so you should be prepared to take a cab back to the hotel. It will take you about an hour to get to South Ferry in Lower Manhattan.

I also have questions. What date are you doing this? Do you know that the Hilton Garden hotel on Staten Island offers shuttle service to the port for a very modest amount more for your room rate? Do you know that the Russian Teardrop 911 Memorial is right at the port next to the ship? It would be possible to take shuttle transportation to the port, drop off your bags, and walk to the Memorial with your carryons. It would also be possible to check in, leave your stuff in your cabin, and leave the ship again to walk to the Memorial. There are also excellent views of the Memorial from the ship and it passes right next to it for sailaway.

Otherwise you should contact Village Car Service on Staten Island to get a quote.

The ferry is the best way to get to NYC. The hotel shuttle can take you to the ferry terminal, but you have to speak to the hotel to arrange a time for them to do that. They may be able to pick you up on the way back, but maybe not, so you should be prepared to take a cab back to the hotel. It will take you about an hour to get to South Ferry in Lower Manhattan.

Thanks so much - I knew about the hotel shuttle but did not know the Teardrop is right at the terminal so thought I would have to taxi to get there - on the map it looks like another location. So glad you gave me that information!

Would you suggest we stay in NY on our return (12/12 - 12/15) instead of the one hour on ferry route. I am not familiar with NY to know where to stay?

What is your hotel budget? Are you flying out of Newark?

IMO Staten Island is too inconvenient for multiple day sightseeing in NYC. It takes at least an hour to get to downtown Manhattan and another half hour to get to midtown.

Your dates cover the weekend before Christmas in NY. At least one of those days is likely to be a "gridlock" day for traffic in the city, so public transit will be the way to get around. It will also be cold and could snow, so you have to be prepared for that.