CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

From your date it sounds like you are on the explorer repo cruise - so am I. You are Lynn and Craig from Indiana. Please look for me at the meet and mingle. It's going to be a fantastic cruise!

Thanks Carol! We've never sailed from Bayonne, so just trying to get all the "insider" info on the area...look forward to meeting you on EX!:)

So it sounds like a wash from a money standpoint. It's simply not worth it to fly into LGA on a Friday afternoon and take ground transportation out to Newark.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know....we'll plan on EWR.

Let's see what we can do to get you a good hotel reservation in the city. Yes - it will be hot in August. Your daughter is only six. You will be able to maximize your time if you have a hotel in the city where you can take a break in the afternoon before continuing on.

Hopefully we can attract the attention of Twickenham who is the expert in using the Marriott LNF (look no further) rate. On aa.com I've found an exclusive rate of $175 for the Lexington Hotel for August 20-24. This is a special rate for a Queen, but this web site is also offering a standard king for $206. The Marriott web site is offering a standard king for $305 and $233, which means you should be able to file with Marriott for the LNF rate and get 25% off the $206 rate.

This sounds complicated, but it really isn't and many other cruisers have used Twickenham's technique to get good deals on hotels in New York and Boston. The Lexington is well located at 48th & Lex and it gets excellent reviews on Tripadvisor.

Carol~ so sorry to have disappeared on you! I so appreciate your advice. I actually went on a cruise and got back a few days ago. The southwest bookings just opened up for our dates so I'm getting ready to purchase.

When you say the Lexington Hotel, is that the Lexington, Autograph Collection in midtown? They're only showing doubles so maybe not? I wasn't really sure which part of the city would be best.

If we're going to stay in the city, should we still fly into Newark? or would LGA be better? then, from the city, how would we get to the port? We'll have luggage with us.

We need Twickenham to weigh in on this for the Marriott "Look No Further" rate deal. For Aug 20-24 I'm seeing two standard rates on the Marriott web site for the Lexington Hotel at 511 Lexington Ave. The King is $339 and two doubles are $369. On the aa.com site I'm seeing the Lexington Hotel offering a standard King for $206.38 and a standard 2 doubles for $247.20.

My understanding of how the LNF works is that you book the king or the 2 doubles on the Marriott web site at the advertised price (cancellable reservation). Within 24 hours you follow the directions for requesting the LNF that are on the Marriott web site. If they accept your LNF, you should be able to get whichever room you choose at 25% off the aa.com rate, so the King would be about $155 and the 2 double would be about $185. It they don't accept it, you have lost nothing.

If your dates are firm, I would try this immediately. The Marriott reservation would be cancellable, so there is no risk.

Here are some directions. Please ask if you have any questions. These were originally for the Manhattan pier.

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway wt Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit and slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Thank you again Carol. We're very familiar with the Merritt Pkwy as that is the route we normally take to visit relatives on LI. I had to chuckle at the rest of your directions. They remind me of why I hate driving to LI. There is no easy way to get anywhere that doesn't involve 20 different roadways! I do appreciate the time you took to type them out for me. They will be very helpful.

That's what I have heard, but where at the airport? The link for Royal Caribbean on their website does not seem to be working for me.

According to the information I have the pick up location is at the arrival terminal.

We are on the Summit sailing from Bayonne on the 4 May 2014. We are flying into JFK on the Friday the 2nd. W(E are looking at the Millenium Hilton near Wall Street at a rate of £282 for the 2 nights and booking a shuttle from JFK to the hotel/hotel to Bayonne and then Bayonne to JFK at the end. Is this the best thing in peoples view as we have never sailed from NY before. We have been to NY lots of times and were really hoping to stay somewhere in NJ the 2 nights pre-cruise and do some shopping (particularly golf stuff as it is usually much cheaper in the US) but it doesnt look from what we have seen on here there is anywhere like that in NJ around the Bayonne area

We are on the Summit sailing from Bayonne on the 4 May 2014. We are flying into JFK on the Friday the 2nd. W(E are looking at the Millenium Hilton near Wall Street at a rate of £282 for the 2 nights and booking a shuttle from JFK to the hotel/hotel to Bayonne and then Bayonne to JFK at the end. Is this the best thing in peoples view as we have never sailed from NY before. We have been to NY lots of times and were really hoping to stay somewhere in NJ the 2 nights pre-cruise and do some shopping (particularly golf stuff as it is usually much cheaper in the US) but it doesnt look from what we have seen on here there is anywhere like that in NJ around the Bayonne area

There are lots of places to stay in NJ, but not in Bayonne itself. If you have no interest in doing things in NYC, then Secaucus, NJ might be an option for you. I found Enterprise Golf on Secaucus Road which appears to be a 20,000 sq ft golf outlet store. There are many chain hotels in Secaucus and many of them are located near outlet shopping. It does, however, appear from the map that you would have to take a local taxi to get to the golf store ($8-10 each way - Secaucus Taxi). Hotels are in the $120-200/night range.

To do this you would have to book a car service from JFK to Secaucus, Secaucus to Cape Liberty, and Cape Liberty to JFK.

If you decide to stay in NYC, it would be possible to go to New York Penn Station and take the NJTransit train one stop to Secaucus Junction, and use Secaucus Taxi to take you to the golf store.

I don't know anything about this golf store, but perhaps one of our other CC members is familiar with it.

Post back with your thoughts.

Edited by 138east

Thank you so much for your help Carol. I will have a look at hotels in Secaucse and see what a saving there would be against staying at the Millenium. As long as there are some shops and restaurants to wander around on the Saturday I will be happy.

The Crowne Plaza Secaucus is coming up at £143 for the 2 nights and says it is next to Outlets at the cove shopping so this looks like a good option. Could you recommend a car service Carol? I am very grateful to you for your help

This is a map of the Harmon Meadow shopping area with Hampton Inn, Marriott Courtyard, Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place, and Holiday Inn. http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pages/plazamap.html

This is definitely a more suburban area just outside NYC and north of Bayonne. It's a destination shopping area for New Yorkers because of the lower NJ sales tax.

We will be on the Quantum's inaugural voyage in November. I am looking for information on transportation services from Newark airport to the cruise terminal in Bayonne. In addition, I need info on how to get from cruise dock to NYC after the cruise. Suggestions on car service...

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.

We need Twickenham to weigh in on this for the Marriott "Look No Further" rate deal. For Aug 20-24 I'm seeing two standard rates on the Marriott web site for the Lexington Hotel at 511 Lexington Ave. The King is $339 and two doubles are $369. On the aa.com site I'm seeing the Lexington Hotel offering a standard King for $206.38 and a standard 2 doubles for $247.20.

My understanding of how the LNF works is that you book the king or the 2 doubles on the Marriott web site at the advertised price (cancellable reservation). Within 24 hours you follow the directions for requesting the LNF that are on the Marriott web site. If they accept your LNF, you should be able to get whichever room you choose at 25% off the aa.com rate, so the King would be about $155 and the 2 double would be about $185. It they don't accept it, you have lost nothing.

If your dates are firm, I would try this immediately. The Marriott reservation would be cancellable, so there is no risk.

I looked on the aa.com website and I see the Lexington but only for a 2 double room and the price is $256.64. I don't even see an option for the king...

I looked on the aa.com website and I see the Lexington but only for a 2 double room and the price is $256.64. I don't even see an option for the king...

For Aug 20-24 I'm seeing this for 2 people:

Room Type Discounts & Bonuses Price

Queen Special

1 Bed

$175.77

Avg room/night

Select

Queen Special Promo

1 Bed

$177.55

Avg room/night

Select

Standard King

1 Bed

$206.38

Avg room/night

Select

Standard Double Double

2 Beds

$247.20

Avg room/night

Select

oh, and if we're going to stay in midtown would it be better for us to fly into La Guardia? and then fly out of Newark after the cruise? or Newark for both?

You can do either depending on the flight price. It will cost you $16 to take the airport bus from Newark to Grand Central Station and your daughter is free. Cab from LGA to Manhattan will run about $40.

Hello! I received amazing help last time I sailed from Newark so I'm back again.

I'll be on the 3/21 Explorer sailing and will be staying in downtown Newark near Penn Station.

What would be the most cost efficient way to get to the port? Shuttle? Taxi?

Thanks! :D

Edited to state that it will just be me traveling solo.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Edited by Virtopia

Queen Special

1 Bed

$175.77

Avg room/night

Select

Queen Special Promo

1 Bed

$177.55

Avg room/night

Select

Standard King

1 Bed

$206.38

Avg room/night

Select

Standard Double Double

2 Beds

$247.20

Avg room/night

Select

OMG I'm so sorry to be clueless but I just don't see that. Ugh. Is there anyway you could post a link? I'm so sorry to be a pain. Or you could even email it to me at stressedout 6512@msn.com (take out the space) if you don't mind. That seems perfect for us. I didn't think we'd be able to stay so close to times square for $200

That's different. Could you please post back and review the hotel and surrounding area?

You can arrange a car service to the port for $50-60.

You can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and get an RCL transfer. Be sure to check if the hotel shuttle drops you off at a terminal or at P4 where you have to take Airtrain to a terminal. Chances are the RCL transfer will not start running until about 11 am.

You can take a cab to Newark Penn Station (perhaps the hotel shuttle will drop you there), take PATH to Exchange Place for $2.50, take the elevator up to the street level where you take the light rail to 34th St in Bayonne for $2.10, and call Bayonne taxi to take you into the port for $10-12. This is an easy trip because it is totally accessible with luggage and you will be able to get a seat if you go after 9:30 am.

Thanks so much for the knowledge that you are sharing on this thread. I've done some research but have a few questions and also would like your expert opinions if I'm missing out on anything or could do something better.

I'm cruising with 8 other family members, so 9 people altogether (unless I can talk DH into joining us) (my parents (mid 70s), my two kids 10 and 12, my brother and his wife (early 40s) and their daughters (7 and 9). We are on the Explorer to Bermuda departing Saturday June 14. We live in Western Pennsylvania and plan to drive in the night before.

My thinking is to find two hotel rooms in Parsippany for Friday night (one room will have to accommodate 5 people), I was looking at the Hampton, which has some good deals but might be a tight squeeze or the Sonesta ES, which is pricier but definitely has more room. I don't think the bidding sites would work for us because of the need for a room to accommodate 5.

Is it even possible to leave the cars (we will have two) and take a car service to the port? I think this would be easiest, if more time consuming because of the need to go back to the car after the cruise.

My biggest concern with driving to the port is that my dad has some mobility issues, he uses a walker and has a hard time going any distance at all. If we drive to the port, where should be go to get assistance for him? Is there a special place to drop him off? He is booked in a Royal Family Suite, so I believe the concierge perks will allow him to board relatively early in the process. I have a concierge service number that I will call to discuss getting assistance for him but any insight is appreciated.

Money is not a huge concern, my parents are paying for the trip as a Christmas gift to us (they say they'd rather enjoy it with their grandchildren now than pay for nursing homes later, plus we got a huge discount because of the recent 3, 4 and 5 passengers sail free promotion) but I would like to save them some money where possible without taking away from the special nature of the trip.

If you've read this far, thanks so much for any insight you can provide.

Edited by may_bartram

Queen Special

1 Bed

$175.77

Avg room/night

Select

Queen Special Promo

1 Bed

$177.55

Avg room/night

Select

Standard King

1 Bed

$206.38

Avg room/night

Select

Standard Double Double

2 Beds

$247.20

Avg room/night

Select

OK, I figured out what the problem was. You are searching for 1 adult and 1 child. I was searching for 2 adults and one child. Thank goodness I figured that out, it was driving me crazy!

It isn't hard....the rate canNOT be a prepaid rate, or from an opaque site...but for some reason, AA.com usually has lower rates, not sure why. I have used the LNF a couple times....and you still get Marriott points, and it is NOT prepaid....

Let me see if I can find the form link...it's easy..

here you go..

https://www.marriott.com/look/claimForm.mi

OK! I booked through the Marriott site and have submitted the claim form. Hopefully this works as planned.