CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Hmmmm.....tough one. I wouldn't haul it back to the airport.....cab might be around the same from the hotel.....actually they'd be close in cost I think...

try this....i THINK that they are/were based at the full service Marriott at the airport....

http://www.signaturetransportationinc.com/

I figure a cab and/or car service would be around $50-60. You could try Independent Driver.....

I think that there isn't much difference in distance...the hotel might be a little closer....

(PS....if you're out and about around the hotel, be careful as usual....you can check out this area for food...lots of Iberian restaurants....

http://www.goironbound.com/portal/

and this place is supposed to be awesome...

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/locations/newark/

Thanks for your help again ladies! I think I will just do the taxi and will call the hotel as well for options.

Megr1125, that's actually the restaurant that was recommended to me so I plan to try it out for lunch or dinner. Thanks for the link so I can check out the menu :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have finally booked something thanks to your advice Carol. Having trawled through every website and possibility over hotels in Manhattan I really couldn't justify the price so I checked out Secaucus and booked a hotel through Hotwire (the Clarion) Even though it hasn't got fantastic reviews on Trip advisor its at the Harmon Mall and I only paid £100 for 2 nights including breakfast so thanks for the heads up Carol

Clarion hotels in general leave a lot to be desired. I hope it works out for you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Congratulations! That's a great deal - well worth the time to fuss around with it.

I think the only thing I haven't sorted out yet is how we're going to get from the Lexington to the port. What are the options for my family of 3 including dd age 6 and probably more luggage than is normally recommended?

~susan

Edited by ladeeesquire
typo

I know the hotel isnt that great Carol but we are only there for 1 day, there is a Carrabas in the Harmon which we really like. The hotel has a pool. We will organize a car from JFK to the airport, then from the hotel to the port and again from the port to JFK. I think that should cover it

You basically have an excellent plan. I can't make the hotel decision for you. If it were me, I'd take a chance on Hotwire and get 3 rooms so that everyone would be more comfortable. Parsippany is a nice suburban area with newer properties. I think there are multiple hotels that would satisfy your group if you were split into 3 rooms.

What I feel most strongly about is that you drive to and park at the port. You have lots of hands to help with your Dad and you can get additional help from RCL to make a smooth transition to the ship. Embarkations can be chaotic, but if you know what help is available and have a strategy, it will go much more smoothly.

Of course the prime directive is that all the documentation is in order and everyone has the appropriate passports and "sealed" birth certificates to be allowed to board. The rest will all fall into place.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am going to go with the three.rooms on hotwire. I think it will be the sonesta from the description and betterbidding site. If not, I'm sure it will be fine. I'll update when I book it. We will be driving to.the pier. I really appreciate your advice on the disability.piece. He is fine with using a wheelchair and has handicapped plates so we should be good to go on that end. You've eased mind about getting him through the port and onboard. Any suggestions as to what time to.get there?

Just wanted to update as promised. We did go with the hotwire and got the Hyatt House, which looks like a very nice hotel, especially for $69 a night with 100% positive reviews, in case anyone else is looking for good deals on a hotel in the Parsippany area pre cruise.

My brother and SIL work in the health care industry so they are exploring wheel chair rental options and I will be following up with RC as well. Thanks again for all your help.

There are a lot of folks who have mobility issues but do not require wheelchairs on a daily basis and they don't own them. My mother had mobility issues long before we purchased a transport chair for her. The first step was to get a walker. Cruising was fine for her for a while as long as we were close to the aft elevators.

Then we had an opportunity to book an aft balcony and I purchased a lightweight collapsible transport chair which worked out perfectly for us. I think the folks who are considering renting a wheelchair are at this point with their dad. Dad might be fine at home with a walker for short distances and car trips, but a cruise is a totally different scenario. They are booked in an aft cabin which I personally know is a hike from the aft elevators let alone the theater and the other forward venues. They are going to Bermuda which can have a lot of walking unless you're hopping right into a cab - the local tram service can be difficult and time consuming to get onto.

Carol, thank you! I'm glad bringing your own wheelchair (as opposed to renting one) isn't a bad idea. We will try your directions to Cape Liberty next week. We hope the weather cooperates. :)

Robert

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

Hi Robert,

We started out with our own small transport wheelchair, then went to a larger wheeled folding wheelchair, and now we have a mobility scooter that can be taken apart into 4 pieces and put in the trunk of our car. I couldn't push my husband in the wheelchairs very well. He can't wheel himself around. Buying a mobility scooter was the best purchase we ever made for everyday life and cruising. He has a lot of independence that way. Of course, I don't know your situation, but you can rent a scooter to try it on the ship. Just a thought. Have a wonderful cruise!

Judy

Hi Robert,

We started out with our own small transport wheelchair, then went to a larger wheeled folding wheelchair, and now we have a mobility scooter that can be taken apart into 4 pieces and put in the trunk of our car. I couldn't push my husband in the wheelchairs very well. He can't wheel himself around. Buying a mobility scooter was the best purchase we ever made for everyday life and cruising. He has a lot of independence that way. Of course, I don't know your situation, but you can rent a scooter to try it on the ship. Just a thought. Have a wonderful cruise!

Judy

Thanks Judy. My Dad was having minor (fortunately) accidents in his car before he gave up driving a few years ago. I assume havoc would result from him driving a powered scooter. :eek: For this trip, I plan to push him in his wheelchair.

You're welcome. Another thought is that you could try the scooters in the grocery stores and see how he does. Pushing on carpeting is tough, but I'm sure you can handle it. Have fun! Have you ever checked out the disabled board here on Cruise Critic? People there are really nice and will help with any questions you might have.

Good thought. I think I'll be ok pushing his wheelchair. Thanks for the suggestion of the disabled board. I see it now. :)
Please excuse the interjection but I have a question. Is your Dad's wheelchair a wheelchair or a Transport Chair? My reason for asking is' date=' a transport chair can be difficult to push on carpet, very uncomfortable for the rider on uneven surfaces and quite difficult to get over small obstacles like door thresholds.

I had the honor, and it was an honor, to meet 138east's mother. She was an absolute joy in a small package. Knowing this I don't think there was much of an issue getting her from point A to B but if Dad is a normal to larger guy it may be. My DW (aka The Boss) uses a mobility scooter and we have VERY few issues. But if she were a wheelchair issue I would definitely not use as transport chair.

Happy cruising and don't be afraid to ask, anything.[/font']

You're absolutely right Ken. My mom barely broke 100 pounds and we used the transport chair almost exclusively to get from point A to point B on the ship. She spent very little time in the chair otherwise. The chair weighed about 17 lbs and folded up easily for storage or transport in a car.

Since Mom was so light I really didn't have any issues pushing the chair on carpet or over door sills, but I can see where that would have been more difficult if Mom weighed more.

I just wanted to say thank you for the help. I did book the Hyatt on the Hudson and asked them to arrange travel from the airport to the hotel, then from the hotel to the cruise port, and finally from the cruise port to the airport. We will be coming in on a Friday and am now going to see if there is a dinner cruise to see the Statue of Liberty and the skyline of NYC. Also will look into a broadway play for Saturday before our Quantum cruise!

:eek::D

Your option is a car service which should be booked ahead of time. I'm guessing from the Lexington Hotel to Cape Liberty would be around $120. You are three people, but be sure to tell the car service exactly how much luggage you will have. Try Dial7 or Carmellimo.

Your option is a car service which should be booked ahead of time. I'm guessing from the Lexington Hotel to Cape Liberty would be around $120. You are three people, but be sure to tell the car service exactly how much luggage you will have. Try Dial7 or Carmellimo.

OK, so about $40 for a cab from La Guardia to the Lexington Hotel and then the car service to the port. Not bad.

Hello All,

I've been lurking around the cape liberty threads for weeks now looking at Hotel suggestions etc. I would like to know if this is the best option for my party.

We are a group of 6 coming from Southeastern CT for a 1/11/2015 12 Day Quantum cruise. We will be driving down the day before in 2 cars (3 rooms) and looking for a park/sleep hotel. I've looked at trinity, stay123 and buyreservations. They have some ok deals, but are still expensive.

We are currently booked at the Hampton Inn Staten Island. 2 King Rooms @ $121.92 per room and 1 Double Queen @ $131.10. The hotel provides free parking for the 12 days and free shuttle to/from the port. The only thing that keeps me thinking this isn't a good deal is the $13 toll for 2 cars. That brings the total to $400.94.

Is there a better way to do this pre-cruise stay or are we in a good spot?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hitaway4

Hello All,

I've been lurking around the cape liberty threads for weeks now looking at Hotel suggestions etc. I would like to know if this is the best option for my party.

We are a group of 6 coming from Southeastern CT for a 1/11/2015 12 Day Quantum cruise. We will be driving down the day before in 2 cars (3 rooms) and looking for a park/sleep hotel. I've looked at trinity, stay123 and buyreservations. They have some ok deals, but are still expensive.

We are currently booked at the Hampton Inn Staten Island. 2 King Rooms @ $121.92 per room and 1 Double Queen @ $131.10. The hotel provides free parking for the 12 days and free shuttle to/from the port. The only thing that keeps me thinking this isn't a good deal is the $13 toll for 2 cars. That brings the total to $400.94.

Is there a better way to do this pre-cruise stay or are we in a good spot?

Thanks in advance!

You are in a great spot.....we used Hampton Inn for our last cruise this past February. Can't beat the price for room, hotel, shuttle, and free hot breakfast. Just think it cost $19 per day per car for parking at the pier... Just be sure to keep the number to the hotel handy in your phone the shuttle to return to hotel is not always on time