CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We will be on the QOS in January. Staying at the Fairfield next door to the Courtyard. How are you getting to the port from the Courtyard? Let us know what you find out about the shuttle. Thanks.

we used Independent Driver...$45 for 2 people not including tip. Someone thought it was $45 for up to 4 people. While we were in the car, the office called the driver and wanted to know when to pick us up from the ship. We had other plans so the $45 quote may be for a roundtrip. Don't care, the driver was very nice. The car was very nice, we'll use them again.

Edited by wolfcathorse

I've never seen a post about taking Bolt bus to Newark.

On a Sunday you would take Path to Journal Square and transfer across the track to the 33rd St train getting off at either Newport or Hoboken and taking the NJ Light rail to 34th St in Bayonne. From there you call Bayonne Taxi for a ride into the port. Path is $2.50, light rail is $2.10, and the cab is about $10-12.

If your bus runs late, the backup plan would be to grab a cab to the port.

If you're interested we can provide more details.

I dont know if this question has been asked already but I cant find it.

We are cruising on the Celebrity Summit in May and need to get from the Wall Street area in Manhattan over to Bayonne. Can anyone suggest the easiest and most economical way of doing this. We dont want to risk high charges with a taxi.

wolfcathorse - what driver did you use? I can't find my info from the last time I cruised out of Bayonne so I don't know who we used then. Thanks for any info.

He posted he used Independent driver - 888-816-0973 you can book by phone only 4-6 weeks ahead.

I dont know if this question has been asked already but I cant find it.

We are cruising on the Celebrity Summit in May and need to get from the Wall Street area in Manhattan over to Bayonne. Can anyone suggest the easiest and most economical way of doing this. We dont want to risk high charges with a taxi.

Unfortunately you cannot get to Bayonne easily on a Sunday by public transit since there is no weekend PATH service due to construction.

Don't take a cab. NYC cabs don't have to take fares to New Jersey and they will charge you extra for doing so. In addition there's a good chance a random cab may not know how to get to Cape Liberty.

Book a NYC based car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. Ask for a base price plus tolls (should be about $15). Plan on a 15-20% tip. From the Wall St area this should be a quick trip through the Holland Tunnel and out the turnpike on a Sunday morning - no more than a half hour, if that.

My travel agent provided me the following info:

There is a shuttle service from Manhattan to Cape Liberty port, which might be less expensive than a taxi

http://www.transportazumah.com/MidtownCapeLiberty

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Avoid this company like the plague. The person behind it has a long history of operating transportation services without obtaining the proper licenses and permits.

By the way, the link given on the web page for making reservations takes you to a phony website...which is good because it means you can't make reservations for their phony transportation company.

Your travel agent isn't doing a very good job if they recommended this company.

Edited by njhorseman

Not recommended at all. Fringe operation with serious questions about their insurance (or lack thereof) and legality of their operation in terms of licensing.

Please tell us what you are looking for. Exact date, number of people, amount of luggage, where you are leaving from in Manhattan, etc.

Hi. I have been given great info on this board in the past.

We are 4 adults staying at a hotel in the area near the Outlet Mall in Elizabeth, NJ. We will need transportation on a Saturday from the hotel to the Cape Liberty port for a 1 November 2014 cruise. We will have a total of 8 suitcases and 4 carry-ons.

1. We prefer a private passenger van just for the 4 of us. Can you recommend the best company to use for a Saturday morning departure? A passenger car would not be large enough.

2. We normally like to get to the pier at about 1030-1100 for Texas and Florida ports. Is an early arrival recommended for Cape Liberty (final Explorer departure)? If we decided on a later time, what time would be best without a lot of traffic and long lines?

Thank you in advance for any info.

1. We prefer a private passenger van just for the 4 of us. Can you recommend the best company to use for a Saturday morning departure? A passenger car would not be large enough.

2. We normally like to get to the pier at about 1030-1100 for Texas and Florida ports. Is an early arrival recommended for Cape Liberty (final Explorer departure)? If we decided on a later time, what time would be best without a lot of traffic and long lines?

Use Independent Driver. I don't know why people keep asking the question when the answer is always the same when coming from the EWR area. Getting to the port by 11 should be fine. You'll hit traffic at the port, but you'll likely hit it no matter what time you get there. I wonder if the new terminal will be open by then? It would be nice if it were.

Unfortunately you cannot get to Bayonne easily on a Sunday by public transit since there is no weekend PATH service due to construction.

Don't take a cab. NYC cabs don't have to take fares to New Jersey and they will charge you extra for doing so. In addition there's a good chance a random cab may not know how to get to Cape Liberty.

Book a NYC based car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. Ask for a base price plus tolls (should be about $15). Plan on a 15-20% tip. From the Wall St area this should be a quick trip through the Holland Tunnel and out the turnpike on a Sunday morning - no more than a half hour, if that.

Thanks so much for the information. Coming from Australia we have no idea. The whole tipping thing for a private car is very confusing on how much is appropriate and we don't want to do the wrong thing.

I have checked out the price of the 2 companies, it gives an online quote. Do I need to ask them about how much tolls are before I book or just book online? Do you prefer one company over the other as their prices are only a couple of dollars difference?

He posted he used Independent driver - 888-816-0973 you can book by phone only 4-6 weeks ahead.

LOL Yes thank you I was confused on if it was an independent driver or a company called that. Thanks!:rolleyes:;):D

Hi. I have been given great info on this board in the past.

We are 4 adults staying at a hotel in the area near the Outlet Mall in Elizabeth, NJ. We will need transportation on a Saturday from the hotel to the Cape Liberty port for a 1 November 2014 cruise. We will have a total of 8 suitcases and 4 carry-ons.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973. Give them a call to get a quote for 4 people, 8 bags, and 4 carryons and discuss a car size. That's a whole lot of luggage!!!! They don't take reservations until 4-6 weeks out, but they should be able to give you a quote.

I am on the same cruise. The traffic at the port is normally unpredictable, but it will be more so because this is a repo cruise. No one will be able to park their cars at the pier for the cruise, so everyone is going to have to get some sort of ride there. I don't know the status of the new terminal - no one has reported that construction has actually begun. At the rate they're going, the Quantum will be gone from Cape Liberty before the new terminal arrives.

I don't know the status of the new terminal - no one has reported that construction has actually begun.

yes, construction has begun again, we were on EX April 5-10 and they were removing (grinding up) the asphalt. Someone on another thread for their EX cruise report posted a picture. When I get home from Canada I can post a picture here as well.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973. Give them a call to get a quote for 4 people, 8 bags, and 4 carryons and discuss a car size. That's a whole lot of luggage!!!! They don't take reservations until 4-6 weeks out, but they should be able to give you a quote.

I am on the same cruise. The traffic at the port is normally unpredictable, but it will be more so because this is a repo cruise. No one will be able to park their cars at the pier for the cruise, so everyone is going to have to get some sort of ride there. I don't know the status of the new terminal - no one has reported that construction has actually begun. At the rate they're going, the Quantum will be gone from Cape Liberty before the new terminal arrives.

Thank you all for the info.

I am traveling on Explorer next weekend, May 3. I checked the bridge closing schedule and just my luck, the bridge is going to be closed the whole weekend. It is scheduled to be closed the evening of May 2 and not reopening until May 5.

How much more time should I allow myself going via Goethels bridge and NJ Tpke. I am coming from Long Island.

thanks in advance.

Suzanne

Actually, Mapquest is showing the travel time to be about the same even though the distance is further. Going via the Goethals is all I278 and NJ Turnpike until you get off at Exit 14A in Bayonne.

Directions to Cape Liberty from Exit 14A

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

We have decided to arrive early pre-cruise to explore New York City for a couple of days before heading to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal. If we check out of our hotel by 11:00 - 11:30am, approximately what time will we get to the cruise port? We will not be driving so I will arrange for a shuttle to take us to Bayonne, NJ. Thanks in advance for any help.