CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

There's a Super Stop & Shop in the shopping center right next to the pier.

Super Stop & Shop

1 Lefante Way

Bayonne, NJ 07002

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Super+Stop+%26+Shop/@40.6708283,-74.1136145,14z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sStop+and+Shop,+Bayonne,+NJ!3m1!1s0x0:0x8d10bc9bae445849

It is next to the port, but NOT walkable, the road into the port is 2 miles long so it would be about a half mile more....

I am posting this as the person who asked is on a bus, and not sure how they'd get there.....

A cab would be about 5-8 bucks each way...and getting one BACK from the store can take a LONG time-30 to 45 minutes...i know, i've done it...

Hiya

Sorry to ask this question as I'm sure its been answered a million times before! There is just so many pages on this thread to scroll through.

What's the best way to get to the port from times square. My initial thought was a taxi but after doing some research this is apparently not so easy?

Hi all, I am looking into transportation back from Cape Liberty Cruiseport to LGA next month for two of us, flight in afternoon. Called Carmellimo yesterday, was told by dispatcher that they cannot send car till ship gets in, so to call them from ship when it arrives and wait 45 min for car to get there. Any other experiences? Anyone have better way to get from cruiseport to LGA that doesn't involve pulling around luggage? Any shuttles waiting outside of terminal when ship docks (since I'll be waiting anyway)? Sorry if this question already asked!

Hi all, I am looking into transportation back from Cape Liberty Cruiseport to LGA next month for two of us, flight in afternoon. Called Carmellimo yesterday, was told by dispatcher that they cannot send car till ship gets in, so to call them from ship when it arrives and wait 45 min for car to get there. Any other experiences? Anyone have better way to get from cruiseport to LGA that doesn't involve pulling around luggage? Any shuttles waiting outside of terminal when ship docks (since I'll be waiting anyway)? Sorry if this question already asked!

I don't know if this will help but we used the $16 pp shuttle to EWR, no reservations, wait time was about 8 minutes. There was a pair of guys who wanted to go to JFK so the shuttle dispatcher put them on our shuttle to EWR. About 6 of us got off at EWR and then the shuttle driver was taking the last 2 guys to JFK. I did not hear what the fare was for them. This shuttle stand is way at the end of the tent area where you drop off your luggage. It is by the taxi stand.

I am interested in taking this shuttle. Since this is my first cruise from Cape Liberty, can you tell me something about this shuttle - the company, how often it runs, website, etc? Thanks for the info.

No identifiable company, no website, no schedule (they leave when the vehicle is full).

No identifiable company, no website, no schedule (they leave when the vehicle is full).

and therefore with no overhead they can pass the savings on to the customer! You just have to trust that they're there. They have more than 1 van and the dispatcher you hear on the radio, IMHO, needs to take a chill pill followed by a be nice cocktail. He wasn't nice to the drivers so the drivers ignored him. LOL. The dispatcher we heard on the radio was over the top Type A personality.

So what's the current status of construction heading from the NJTP to the pier (not the Bayonne Bridge)? I'm heading there on Sunday morning. Will I need to leave early? I haven't heard anything about it on the news, but I'm in Westchester. I keep reading comments about it taking an hour to get to the pier because of construction. Is it the Pulaski Skyway that is involved? Are they closing extra lanes on Sundays?

Edited by MisterBill99

So what's the current status of construction heading from the NJTP to the pier (not the Bayonne Bridge)? I'm heading there on Sunday morning. Will I need to leave early? I haven't heard anything about it on the news, but I'm in Westchester. I keep reading comments about it taking an hour to get to the pier because of construction. Is it the Pulaski Skyway that is involved? Are they closing extra lanes on Sundays?

my problem was the newark bay bridge leaving the pier.....allow 30 extra minutes....you can always hit dunkin donuts in the shopping center near the pier.....

sent from my ellipsis..

We live in Connecticut and had no problems at all on the way down since it was Memorial Day weekend and there was no construction. Coming home on Sunday the only construction and lanes closures were on the bridge that takes you back to the NJ Turnpike from Bayonne. The locals call it the I95 connector.

On another note they changed up the parking for our cruise and we did not turn left and then left again to park. After dropping off our luggage we had to basically go straight after slightly right and park right there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hey we are driving in for a June 5th sailing. What is it like to drive in and park? What happens, what is the best way to do it, is it a cluster$$$$? We don't have any choice wither way but my daughter is autistic so the more I know in advance the more I can stave off any anxiety surrounding this process.

Also is parking an issue? Like (possibly dumb question) do they ever run out of parking spots?

We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 11 times. Most recent was May 25th.

We arrived at the pier around 10:15 AM, dropped our luggage off - you can also drop passengers off to at this time, then we proceeded to park. We checked right in and were on the ship at 10:45 AM.

The parking is close but if any of your passengers have mobility issues then they can exit at the tent where you drop off the luggage and wait on one of the benches while the car is parked and you can all go check in together.

They have never even come close to running out of spaces. Also we have found everyone at the pier is friendly and helpful.

Where will you be driving from? It looks like you are coming from Ohio, so I am assuming you are driving the previous day and staying somewhere in the NY metro area the night before.

You are sailing on a Thursday, so you will have weekday traffic to contend with rather than Sunday traffic. Please post more details.

my problem was the newark bay bridge leaving the pier.....allow 30 extra minutes....you can always hit dunkin donuts in the shopping center near the pier.....

sent from my ellipsis..

Delays leaving I don't care about. We can be among the first off since we are in Aqua, and we may have something to go to in NJ that morning so we may not be in that much of a rush.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 11 times. Most recent was May 25th.

We arrived at the pier around 10:15 AM, dropped our luggage off - you can also drop passengers off to at this time, then we proceeded to park. We checked right in and were on the ship at 10:45 AM.

The parking is close but if any of your passengers have mobility issues then they can exit at the tent where you drop off the luggage and wait on one of the benches while the car is parked and you can all go check in together.

They have never even come close to running out of spaces. Also we have found everyone at the pier is friendly and helpful.

Which lot to you park in? What is the cost?

Is there any problem getting back to the lot when you disembark?

We've cruised out of Cape Liberty a number of times, but have never parked there. Always had a car service or a lift from friend or family.

Vicki

Which lot to you park in? What is the cost?

Is there any problem getting back to the lot when you disembark?

We've cruised out of Cape Liberty a number of times, but have never parked there. Always had a car service or a lift from friend or family.

Vicki

There's basically one lot, it's 19 bucks per day and there is no issue...

They do have a parking lot shuttle but it's walkable or you can get a porter to assist...

Pulaski Skyway is closed Northbound for the next two years. (towards Jersey City)

From the NJTP go to exit 14A and follow signs to the pier.

this is NOT the Pulaski Skyway.

Vicki

Pulaski Skyway is closed Northbound for the next two years. (towards Jersey City)

From the NJTP go to exit 14A and follow signs to the pier.

this is NOT the Pulaski Skyway.

Vicki

Then what is causing delays that people are reporting, other than "because it's NJ"?

There is major construction that has the potential for affecting traffic when trying to get to Cape Liberty. There are also public transit train and PATH closures which can affect cruisers traveling to Cape Liberty or staying in the area precruise.

The Pulaski Skyway (routes 1 & 9) is a major access road to the Holland Tunnel. Since it's closed northbound for 2 years, all the traffic which uses it on a daily basis has to either use the NJ Turnpike extension or local streets to get to the tunnel.

In addition the Bayonne Bridge is being revitalized. Most of this construction occurs overnight, but there are supposed to be 8 weekends in 2014 where the bridge will be completely closed. The first one of these closures occurred recently.

At Newark Airport the Airtrain is closed for repairs until July 15, which means there is no train service at the Newark Airport Station.

There is no weekend PATH service between Exchange Place and the World Trade Center until early 2015.

From what Meg reports, it seems like they have also decided to to some repair work on the NJ Turnpike extension westbound during the day on the weekend. This tied up traffic so that it took her an extra half hour to go from Exit 14A to Exit 14.

Please look at a map to see what we are talking about. All we can do is to identify these potential problem areas and suggest that folks pay attention to traffic reports and allow more time for getting to Cape Liberty.

They are....it i son the Westbound side of the Newark Bay Bridge.

Now, I left the ship area around 3 on a Saturday...I imagine that even leaving earlier there will STILL be traffic exiting Bayonne/the pier causing a backup. You go from 4-6 lanes through the tolls to 2 towards the Tpke, and 2 towards the tunnel.....to ONE lane over the bridge, and people do NOT understand how to merge..

MisterBill...there has been traffic and construction there for YEARS....I've been sailing from Cape Libery since 2006 and I always remember construction..yes, it's NEW JERSEY, we call it job security, it's ridiculous.

I am trying to help, and inject some humor. Everyone can allow an extra 30 minutes or so, or not. If you DO NOT have traffic, take the jughandle into south cove shopping center, go to Dunkin Donuts or the Starbucks in Stop n SHop for a coffee, hit the rest room and then pull into the pier..

OR...don't take our advice, leave when people want to and be stuck in traffic missing the check in cut off.

When I was there, arriving guests were walking through the lot, into the terminal at 3 PM. They may or may not have missed the cut off, but they looked p!$$ed.......

Can people go through Staten Island? Sure, but I have been there ONCE, by accident and don't care to do it again. Traffic sucks, but so be it.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try and help people......I have a strange sense of humor, and a born-in-Jersey attitude.....Yes, like Pork Roll, some things happen because it's Jersey...

And if there's an accident coming off the Tpke to 14A, you're stuck. It wasn't horrible getting there.....probably 15 minutes from getting off the Tpke proper to the bridge and through the toll plaza, which in and of itself is a disaster....then trying to merge to get to the road TO the pier often causes delay.....

Edited by megr1125

OR...don't take our advice, leave when people want to and be stuck in traffic missing the check in cut off.

Believe me .... take their advice. As someone who has lived in the tri-state area all their life all it takes is one car fire, lane closure, construction or accident and it can take 2 hours to go 5 miles and the later you leave the more likely you are to run into those things because of increased volume.

Once again here are the written directions to get into Cape Liberty from the Exit 14A toll plaza and the northbound directions from turnpike exit 10 should you decide to pay the extra toll and come across Staten Island.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS directions are notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Greatam's Directions from Exit 10

95 North to Exit 10 (Outer Bridge Crossing) to Rt 440 East (it actually runs NE). When 440 gets close to 278, it runs parallel with 278 East for just a short distance (Exit 5 to Exit 8). Exit 8 is the continuation of 440 NORTH over the Bayonne Bridge. Going NORTH on 440 allows you to make a RIGHT turn into the port on Port Terminal Blvd and keeps you away from the MASS of traffic coming off Exit 14A which can be a very long line.