CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

How many people are you? If you're more than 4 people, your hotel choices will be severely limited. For the 21st look at Country Inns on Kayak - $126 + tax. For the 29th look at the 4* hotel in Jersey City on Hotwire for $115. This is a fabulous price. It could be the Hyatt, the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, or the Westin. Whichever hotel it is, you will be able to get into NYC by PATH or bus and you will be able to pick up a rental car the next morning. You will also be able to take a cab for $4/pp from the pier to the light rail station in Bayonne and take the light rail for $2.10/pp. to these hotels or you can book a car service for $50-60.

Hotwire also has a lot of midtown Manhattan hotels for under $200. Take a look and ask questions. There are some good looking deals out there for ?Manhattan. To get to Manhattan from the port, you would take a car service for $100+. You can rent a car in Manhattan.

My advice is to check out car rental rates from Jersey City and New York. Look at the big picture cost and decide if you're going to stay in NJ or NYC.

The shuttle process is not going to be quick. The hotel shuttles leave from the P4 Airtrain stop, but the Airtrain is currently under repair. In order to get to P4 you have to take a shuttle bus from the terminal to P4. Just ask where these buses stop when you get to baggage claim. If it's really late and kids are overtired, you can always take a cab to the hotel.

What about the end of the week? What are you thinking? There's a whole thread here on going to Yankee Stadium by subway for a game. I'll see if I can find it. If it's in your budget, I would definitely consider Hotwiring a hotel in midtown Manhattan.

Hello,

My wife and I booked a last minute cruise on June 14th 5 night EOS. We are driving in from Ohio (staying with friends in Pennsylvania along the way) and will be parking our car. After the cruise we are staying with friends near Columbia University for two nights. I am concerned about what to do with our car.

Can/should we park our car at the pier and then leave it there while we are in the city afterward? Not sure how we would get from the pier to the city and back.

Should we park our car with a service like SNAP and shuttle to the pier and then shuttle some place to catch a train (possibly the airport)?

Should we park at the pier and then drive our car into the city (parking is expensive for a young married couple working in education)?

Any ideas you have would be very helpful. We have never been to NYC as adults and since we will be without internet (thankfully) I wanted to arrange things before we left. Even if it is last minute.

Thanks!

Let's do this step by step.

Parking at the pier for a 5 day cruise is $19/day. You really can't do much better than that - $95. There is no option to leave your car there after the cruise.

Can you manage your luggage to do public transit? How tight is your budget? How much luggage are you hauling into NYC?

After the cruise there are two good parking options in NJ - Journal Square Transportation Center and Port Imperial for about $13/day. It's $2.50/pp to go to Manhattan from Journal Square. The ferry from Port Imperial is $9/pp each way, but there are free buses on the NY side to get you to a subway station.

It would also be possible to park your car at either of these locations before the cruise and take public transit to Bayonne from either of them. If you don't need to dump stuff off at your car after the cruise, you can go directly to NY. If you want to get rid of stuff, you can pay an extra fare to stop by your car and do that.

Lots of options. Seriously consider ditching your car at Journal Square or Port Imperial for the entire week. Parking will be less problematic on a Saturday than it will be on the Thurs morning you return. Please post back and answer the questions and we'll take it from there.

Thank you for your response. We are only taking two small rolling bags so we could carry those straight to where we are staying in the city. Our budget is not super tight but we don't feel like paying extra if we need could avoid it.

If we parked at Journal Square how early should we arrive? How long is the trip from there to the Pier and then the taxi from that stop to the ship?

On a Saturday PATH trains run every 10 minutes from Journal Square. Hoboken is a 12 minute ride. You take the elevator up to the street level and walk to the left side of the trains to the light rail which runs every 20 minutes. Buy a ticket from the machine and validate it and get on a Bayonne train. Its's a 25 minute ride to 34th St. in Bayonne. You call Bayonne Taxi and ask to be picked up at the light rail station to go to the port. 201-339-5000. It should take you no more than an hour to get to Bayonne from Journal Square. Even though you can see the ship from the light rail, it could take another half hour to get into the port. This is a very luggage friendly trip.

Whatever you do, don't cut the time close.

The Hoboken Station is very historical and the view of NYC is spectacular.

PATH. http://www.panynj.gov/path/weekend-schedules-2014.html

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf

When you disembark, you reverse the process. Take a shuttle to the light rail station, take the train to Hoboken, and take PATH to 33rd St in NYC-where you can connect to the Subway.

http://511nj.org/

That's a great site for NJ/NY traffic...

As a note, from the 'you just never know..' files..

Early this AM there was a fatal accident on the Geo Washington Bridge....in a nutshell, delays into NYC are 3 hours on that bridge and at least an hour at the Lincoln Tunnel...

Delays are spilling over onto the NJ Turnpike and even the Garden State Parkway.....and this is the kind of thing that can really stress people out...

My point is, people often think that they can get someplace in an hour...today, not so much.

There are no ships in NY or NJ today, so that's ok. BUT if there was, the traffic would stink.

That is one reason why I generally stay near the pier when I sail out of NJ even though I am an hour away..

Just wanted to remind everyone that you NEVER know what will happen to cause your best laid plans to go south fast!

http://511nj.org/

That's a great site for NJ/NY traffic...

As a note, from the 'you just never know..' files..

Early this AM there was a fatal accident on the Geo Washington Bridge....in a nutshell, delays into NYC are 3 hours on that bridge and at least an hour at the Lincoln Tunnel...

Delays are spilling over onto the NJ Turnpike and even the Garden State Parkway.....and this is the kind of thing that can really stress people out...

My point is, people often think that they can get someplace in an hour...today, not so much.

There are no ships in NY or NJ today, so that's ok. BUT if there was, the traffic would stink.

That is one reason why I generally stay near the pier when I sail out of NJ even though I am an hour away..

Just wanted to remind everyone that you NEVER know what will happen to cause your best laid plans to go south fast!

The first thing I said when I saw the traffic report this morning was: "Thank God we are not going on a cruise today."

It's a nightmare on all Hudson River crossings. Many people I work with gave up and went back home. They can't even get over the Tappan Zee Bridge into Westchester County.

Yes you change trains in Hoboken coming and going. Hoboken is a major transportation hub. It has PATH service, regular NJ Transit train service, and light rail service. You will be using PATH and light rail. Path is underground but has an elevator to the street level. When you look at the train platforms, NJ transit trains will be right in front of you and the light rail platforms will be all the way to your left.

Please look at the links I gave you - you can find maps there that will clarify how everything fits together.

I would also suggest that when you come in I78, you stay on that road to exit 14C in Jersey City and follow the directions provided on the PATH website. IMO these are the best directions - don't get involved taking the NJ turnpike route which is what Google suggested to me.

"From NJ Turnpike I 95 North and I 78 in the Newark Liberty International Airport area, follow signs for I 78 Holland Tunnel. Travel on I78 to Exit 14C Holland Tunnel. After paying toll, use Grand Street Exit. Continue down ramp to Montgomery Street at traffic light and turn left. Travel on Montgomery Street 0.8 mile, go into right-turn-only lane and turn right onto Bergen Avenue. Continue on Bergen Avenue 0.5 mile to the Journal Square area "

If you are somehow delayed getting to the port, you always have the option to get off at exit 14A, park at the port and move the car when you disembark.

You can try calling ahead, but when I did that, they told me to call when I was actually at the station. The car arrived very quickly. I did this between 10:30 and 11 am.

Edited by 138east

I think it's helpful (or maybe just confusing?) to be aware of the fact that I 78 from the Newark Airport area to Exit 14C in Jersey City actually is part the NJ Turnpike (as the Newark Hudson Bay-Hudson Extension, not the main Turnpike) and its exits are identified as NJ Turnpike Exits 14A, 14B and 14C .

Edited by njhorseman

Thank you for your response. We are only taking two small rolling bags so we could carry those straight to where we are staying in the city. Our budget is not super tight but we don't feel like paying extra if we need could avoid it.

If we parked at Journal Square how early should we arrive? How long is the trip from there to the Pier and then the taxi from that stop to the ship?

I very seldom chime in on this thread, unless someone mentions something very local. I would not recommend leaving your car at any Journal Square parking lot in Jersey City for the duration of your cruise. You are far better off just driving to the port and paying the extra few bucks.

Edited by bayonnejoe

This question involves a departure date of 11/30/2015 on Anthem, the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend.

We don't relish the thought of driving from Virginia to Cape Liberty (or anywhere else for that matter) the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We were thinking of getting to the area a few days early to avoid the bulk of Thanksgiving traffic. Thoughts?

When should we start looking for a hotel for 2 nights for 3 people (2 adults + 1 child)? Any hotel recommendations this early?

This question involves a departure date of 11/30/2015 on Anthem' date=' the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend.

We don't relish the thought of driving from Virginia to Cape Liberty (or anywhere else for that matter) the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We were thinking of getting to the area a few days early to avoid the bulk of Thanksgiving traffic. Thoughts?

When should we start looking for a hotel for 2 nights for 3 people (2 adults + 1 child)? Any hotel recommendations this early?[/quote']

You can't start booking til around 330 days before, so Mid December-ish of this year.

How far do you want to drive? Do you want to do anything or just sleep.

NYC will be pricey due to the Parade....well, you're leaving after that..>BUT things will still be higher than normal ...

It's really too early to even think of a cost....

You want to come all the way up?? Even Philly and that area will not be cheap as they have a Thanksgiving parade too..

I would still figure on around 200 per night..that's a guess based on time of year, and that hotel rates are going up.....

Then when December-ish rolls around, book a cancellable room and then maybe we can help you with Hotwire or something..

I checked Hotwire for Sat Sun of Thanksgiving weekend and I'm seeing our favorite 4* hotel in the Jersey City area for $190 + tax. This could be the Westin or Hyatt. Perfect for seeing both NYC and getting to Cape Liberty without having to pay NY hotel prices for you and your car.

Watch Hotwire this fall. they seem to have split the North Bergen-Hoboken-Jersey City area into two pieces, so it will be easier to identify the high end Jersey City hotels that are close to PATH. Then follow Meg's advice to book a cancellable room and watch Hotwire.

Your other choice is to park at Port Imperial. From there it is a 50 minute ride to 34th St in Bayonne with a change of trains at Exchange place.

The return trip to NYC would be as previously described.

To get from NYC to Port Imperial you would take the ferry from 39th St & 12th Ave to Port Imperial for $9/pp.

Another option is to park at the port, drive to Port Imperial when you disembark, and take the ferry both ways to NYC.

I have read that there a shuttle at the port that goes to EWR, but is there one that goes to LGA? We are on the Summit in August, two of us with luggage, so don't want to use public transportation. Also how long will it take to get to LGA? Flight is at 2:30 p.m. Pre-cruise we are staying in Elizabeth and planning on Independent Driver to get to port pre-cruise. Any advice is greatly appreciated!