CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Ok, I am going the other way from Times Square to Cape Liberty. Any thing I should know differently for using Public Transit? I was also thinking of stopping at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken. Has anyone done this? How much time might it take?

You would take a cab to JC Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd st. Here are some links and pictures. The accessible Path entrance is to the left of Penneys - a blue and white sign with a 'P'.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838036&highlight=penney

http://library.gc.cuny.edu/34th_st/archive/files/httplibrarygccunyedu34th_stimages34222ac_25301dd836.jpg

I haven't been to Carlo's. It would be a walk from Hoboken Path and folks comment about the lines. Hopefully someone else can comment about going to Carlo's with luggage.

At Hoboken Station you would take the elevator up to the street level. Facing the train tracks you would go to the far left for the light rail, buy a ticket and validate it, and take the Bayonne train getting off at 34th St. Call Bayonne City Yellow Cab 201-339-5000 to arrange a pick up.

Edited by 138east

IMO, whether you are using iOS or Android mobile devices with data, Google Map/NAV is very reliable - just make sure "traffic" is turned ON within map's settings. Google is using Waze, a real-time traffic services that integrate nicely into routing & turn-by-turn directions on the go.

Have your co-driver/navigator or backseat folks help to zoom out/in on your planned routing - it's not safe to fuzz with buttons & keys while driving, unless you are doing a rest stop and safely off the road like in a parking/rest area. It is color coded and NAV will recommend the best routes, but you can also look at other alternative routes - and provide you with ETA, continuously updated - something that our older & mostly retired Garmin GPS unit doesn't do.

Running Jelly Beans & KitKat on my primary & backup devices, and they've been 97.5% reliable & accurate.

For local commute, I used an IP-Camera App ("IP Cam Viewer" - the Lite version is free) with several key traffic camera locations stored, and I bring them up with as much as 6 mini-scfreens at a time for an overview of key bridges & crossings, it's useful to supplement Maps/Nav by Google.

As for driving up I-95 during Thanksgiving - yikes - good thing that I no longer do long distance family visiting "commute" like in the old days, the 4 hour routine just inside the Beltway to Manhattan had once turned into a 7 hour horror show from pure "traffic" and 20 minutes waiting to reach the gas pump. I would probably leave very early (pre-dawn) on Friday after Thanskgiving but it still won't be fun with all the constructions along the route. Once you get into DE/NJ, the beach traffic are mostly on the Garden State Parkway and as long as you have your electronic toll tag to zip thru the plazas, you will be waiving at those at the cash lanes.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you for this information. I downloaded and am using the Waze program locally. It's neat, especially the live posting of hazards and police traps (a good reminder to keep speed down.) I'll use this in conjunction with our Garmin (a pre-smartphone and pre-cruise purchase) on long trips. There are things I like about both. Wish there was one app/devise that had every useful feature rolled into one unit. I'll give IP Cam Viewer a try too. Thanks again!

Book a car service like dial7 or Carmellimo or take public transit as described above in post 1601. Port Authority and Times Square are very close to one another - only one avenue apart.

Do not take a NYC cab.

Ok, I didn't ask right. We are staying 2 blocks from the NY Port Authority Bus Station. We plan to walk our luggage to the terminal. What would be the best bus for us to get on to go to Cape Liberty Pier? Thanks.

Ok, I didn't ask right. We are staying 2 blocks from the NY Port Authority Bus Station. We plan to walk our luggage to the terminal. What would be the best bus for us to get on to go to Cape Liberty Pier? Thanks.

There is no bus to Cape Liberty from the Port Authority. There is NJ Transit bus, the 119 I think, but it goes nowhere near Cape Liberty, and I'm not even sure it runs on the weekend. If it does, it would be a very limited schedule. Your best bet, as 138 East has said is car service. Public transportation on the weekend from Manhattan would be PATH to Hoboken or Pavonia, and then Light Rail to 34th Street in Bayonne and then a cab to the port. I have always told people this is a logistical nightmare with luggage. Take a cab or the car service.

Edited by bayonnejoe

Originally Posted by mlfallis viewpost.gif

Ok, I am going the other way from Times Square to Cape Liberty. Any thing I should know differently for using Public Transit? I was also thinking of stopping at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken. Has anyone done this? How much time might it take?

You would take a cab to JC Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd st. Here are some links and pictures. The accessible Path entrance is to the left of Penneys - a blue and white sign with a 'P'.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838036&highlight=penney

http://library.gc.cuny.edu/34th_st/archive/files/httplibrarygccunyedu34th_stimages34222ac_25301dd836.jpg

I haven't been to Carlo's. It would be a walk from Hoboken Path and folks comment about the lines. Hopefully someone else can comment about going to Carlo's with luggage.

At Hoboken Station you would take the elevator up to the street level. Facing the train tracks you would go to the far left for the light rail, buy a ticket and validate it, and take the Bayonne train getting off at 34th St. Call Bayonne City Yellow Cab 201-339-5000 to arrange a pick up.

I see that the original question was posted a week or so ago, but the following directions may be helpful for others if not for the OP.

Carlo's is about a five-minute walk from the Hoboken PATH/ rail terminal.

mlfallis ~ Take the elevator out of the PATH station as described by Carol, but turn right when you exit the elevator and immediately cross over to the other side of the street, then turn left on the sidewalk and walk two blocks to Hudson Street. Turn right on Hudson and walk one block to Newark Street; turn left, crossing Hudson Street, and walk one block to Washington Street. Turn right on Washington (keeping on the right-hand side of the street); Carlo's is just a few doors up on your right.

Edited by Post Captain

There is no bus to Cape Liberty from the Port Authority. There is NJ Transit bus, the 119 I think, but it goes nowhere near Cape Liberty, and I'm not even sure it runs on the weekend. If it does, it would be a very limited schedule. Your best bet, as 138 East has said is car service. Public transportation on the weekend from Manhattan would be PATH to Hoboken or Pavonia, and then Light Rail to 34th Street in Bayonne and then a cab to the port. I have always told people this is a logistical nightmare with luggage. Take a cab or the car service.

I've actually done this trip with rolling luggage. There are several steps to the process, but the directions given are designed to provide a level access way to go to Cape Liberty on public transit. The transfers are not complicated and do not involve a lot of walking. PATH and the light rail were virtually empty when I did it on a Thur morning. It took me about an hour from 33rd St in Manhattan to the port. I know it's not for everyone, but there are folks out there who find these public transit trips interesting as well as super economical. In the past year I've done Rome, Paris, and London from airports to hotels to cruise ships or vice versa using public transit. 33rd St to Cape Liberty is a much easier trip than any of those European public transit adventures were.

Most reasonable and dependable car service from Time Square area to cape Liberty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this question was answered in a previous post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 138east

Book a car service like dial7 or Carmellimo or take public transit as described above in post 1601. Port Authority and Times Square are very close to one another - only one avenue apart.

Do not take a NYC cab.

I see that you have often recommended the Country Inns so I thing that we will be staying there pre cruise. Should we take their cruise package that includes travel to the pier in the morning or would it be cheaper to book our own. If so with whom?

What are the prices you are being quoted by Country Inns? Some folks have booked CI on other web sites and then called to purchase the cruise transfer, which I believe is still $35/pp rt.

The transfers are fine for some folks whereas others like to pick an earlier time and make their own arrangements. On my Nov cruise, which is a one way repo, folks on my roll call are organizing groups from their hotel and arranging one way transportation with Independent driver - 888-816-0973. For 5 or more people they have gotten a quote of $12/pp plus tip.

Doing your own arrangements gives you more flexibility and control. The CI transfer leaves later in the morning and many folks want to go to the port earlier.

We are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas (8am arrival) and currently have a 1:40pm flight out of LGA on Saturday, Nov 1, 2014. I'm considering changing it to 12:00pm out of EWR. I would prefer to leave out of EWR but I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough time.

The only way you will make a 12 noon flight for sure is if you do walk off with your luggage. Between the 8 AM arrival and the shuttles buses slowing the disembarkation I would not chance it otherwise. Now of course traveling to LaGuardia takes more time, especially on a week day.

This is our first time cruising out of Cape Liberty. I have a million questions.

We have a ride to the port...

Can we drop our bags and then have our ride drive us to wherever we have to after that?

Is it really that far?

Is there a higher danger of losing your bags?

In NY, I can take on board almost a full size suitcase. Can I do that here? Is the metal detector big enough?

Your help is appreciated.

JWK: Jersey Newbie

This is our first time cruising out of Cape Liberty. I have a million questions.

We have a ride to the port...

Can we drop our bags and then have our ride drive us to wherever we have to after that?

Is it really that far?

Is there a higher danger of losing your bags?

In NY, I can take on board almost a full size suitcase. Can I do that here? IsH the metal detector big enough?

Your help is appreciated.

JWK: Jersey Newbie

I'm not sure I understand where you want to go after you drop your bags.

The way Cape Liberty works is this:

The terminal is located two miles out on a peninsula in Bayonne NJ on the New York harbor. There is often a traffic backup to get into the drop off area.

The normal process would be for you to get dropped off with your bags at the terminal. You give your correctly tagged bags to the porters and tip them. The porters put your bags on the correct cart based on your cabin location and they go off to be delivered later. I've sailed from CL 10+ times and I've never heard any complaints about lost bags.

You and your carry ons (bags have to fit in a standard metal detector) go through the terminal entrance showing your set sail pass and ID and go through the security check and get a shuttle bus number. After that you do the RCL check in and you proceed to the lounge and wait for your number to be called for the shuttle bus. It takes time to load the bus, particularly if a lot of folks choose to carry on bulky bags which have to be lifted onto the bus. The actual ride is 90 seconds. On the other end you have to walk up a gangway to get onto deck 1.

How long this will take is a total crap shoot. You can luck out and whiz through this process or you can get stuck in a crush of folks who all choose to arrive at the same time. The lounge serves free coffee, tea, water, usually lemonade, and cookies. Bring your patience and a book just in case you have to wait.

My advice is to check as much stuff as possible and keep only valuables, medicines, and whatever else you need for the afternoon with you. Cabins are not available until 1:30 pm, so you have to manage all your stuff until then, which can be a real PITA. This is a new ship for you, so I'm sure you want to walk around and explore, which is more difficult with luggage.

Directions from Exit 14A

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Edited by 138east

We are thinking of booking Quantum of the Seas for Feb 2nd. We have never been to this area and would like to do a tour of NYC on Sun. Flying into EWR on Sat. Since it is Feb we do not want to do a lot of walking in NYC (cold). Would it be better to stay near EWR and take the car service from there or stay in NYC with car service from there for the tour? Is a car service the best option to get to & from NYC?

Our check in time is 11am on explorer. We are driving in from western nj and want to get onboard as early as possible. I don't want to get caught in the disembarkation traffic. Any recommendations for a good time to arrive? I am thinking if we are there by 10am then we will miss the exiting crowd and have a chance of getting on early. Any advise is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our check in time is 11am on explorer. We are driving in from western nj and want to get onboard as early as possible. I don't want to get caught in the disembarkation traffic. Any recommendations for a good time to arrive? I am thinking if we are there by 10am then we will miss the exiting crowd and have a chance of getting on early. Any advise is appreciated.

I am wondering the same exact thing!

I am wondering the same exact thing!

10 am has usually worked well for us.