CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

With regard to dropping bags before parking, I am now reading that the line to drop off bags is very long (1 hour) and it was recommended to park first then drop the bags. Any thoughts or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by dabarca1

With regard to dropping bags before parking, I am now reading that the line to drop off bags is very long (1 hour) and it was recommended to park first then drop the bags. Any thoughts or advice?

I'm wondering the same thing....

Guest maddycat

We sail from Cape Liberty twice a year and have been doing so for years. We always drop off our luggage and then park the car. We try to arrive at the port between 10:30 and 11 am. We have never encountered a one hour wait to drop off luggage. At most, we have had a 10 minute wait.

The way Cape Liberty is currently configured (I say this because the new terminal and parking are under construction, so things will definitely be changing in the near future) you can bypass the drop off and continue to the parking, but IMO there is no real advantage to doing that because, if there is a traffic backup, you still have to wait in the line. Since you have to pass the drop off anyway, why not pull in and get rid of your bags? Otherwise you have to wheel your bags in from parking lot and cross the inbound traffic road with them.

The way Cape Liberty is currently configured (I say this because the new terminal and parking are under construction, so things will definitely be changing in the near future) you can bypass the drop off and continue to the parking, but IMO there is no real advantage to doing that because, if there is a traffic backup, you still have to wait in the line. Since you have to pass the drop off anyway, why not pull in and get rid of your bags? Otherwise you have to wheel your bags in from parking lot and cross the inbound traffic road with them.

Thanks for the feedback.

The traffic time into Cape Liberty can be 0 minutes to 60+ minutes. It is totally unpredictable. If the ship arrives late, then everything will be pushed back even further.

Be prepared for the possibility of a wait and bring your patience and something to read.

Carol.....I have stayed in both Newark and Staten Island before. I am

thinking of doing Bermuda again next May and rather than either one

of those places, was thinking of staying in the Big Apple:D......seeing

a show, doing some sightseeing.....Ground Zero, The Museum,...

If not Manhatten, where in NJ would you recommend for easy access

into the city?

I would hire a car to get me from my hotel to Cape Liberty.

Edited by Lois R

Lois,

Look at the Jersey City or Secaucus hotels. Personally, I prefer Jersey City because of the easy 7x24 PATH access to both downtown and midtown NYC. Our family is staying for a weekend at the Courtyard in three weeks and I will be doing a review of that hotel plus the whole Newport area of Jersey City, which also includes the Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, the Westin, and the Hyatt.

IMO Car service to Cape Liberty is not required if you can roll your luggage. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail, which is like a European tram, runs directly to 34th St. Bayonne from level access platforms in the middle of the street in this area. These trains are uncrowded if not empty outbound during the morning hours. From 34th St in Bayonne you call Bayonne Taxi and one of the cars going to Cape Liberty will swing by to pick you up for the 2 mile ride into the port.

Lois,

Look at the Jersey City or Secaucus hotels. Personally, I prefer Jersey City because of the easy 7x24 PATH access to both downtown and midtown NYC. Our family is staying for a weekend at the Courtyard in three weeks and I will be doing a review of that hotel plus the whole Newport area of Jersey City, which also includes the Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, the Westin, and the Hyatt.

IMO Car service to Cape Liberty is not required if you can roll your luggage. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail, which is like a European tram, runs directly to 34th St. Bayonne from level access platforms in the middle of the street in this area. These trains are uncrowded if not empty outbound during the morning hours. From 34th St in Bayonne you call Bayonne Taxi and one of the cars going to Cape Liberty will swing by to pick you up for the 2 mile ride into the port.

Thanks Carol:) when staying in Jersery City or Seacaucus is Newark

still the closest airport?

Where did you read this supposed wisdom?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Yes, Newark is the closest airport. You have to take a car service to either Secaucus or Jersey City. However, if you can take the light rail to Bayonne, that eliminates a car service and balances out the cost.

Here are some videos of the Newport area from PostCaptain. There is also a mall there with late hours.

PostCaptain

Here's a brief video showing a glimpse of of the Westin, which is located right across the street from a pleasant marina. (And there's a fancy restaurant on the marina property.)

And here's the Hyatt Regency and environs:

Another view of the Hyatt--as seen from the Hudson, starting at about 2:45 into this video:

Yes, of course.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app

Of course? If I had been 100% sure I would not have asked the

question.....:eek:.....I know Jersey City is close by but had no idea

about Secaucaus.

Edited by Lois R

Yes, Newark is the closest airport. You have to take a car service to either Secaucus or Jersey City. However, if you can take the light rail to Bayonne, that eliminates a car service and balances out the cost.

Here are some videos of the Newport area from PostCaptain. There is also a mall there with late hours.

PostCaptain

Here's a brief video showing a glimpse of of the Westin, which is located right across the street from a pleasant marina. (And there's a fancy restaurant on the marina property.)

And here's the Hyatt Regency and environs:

Another view of the Hyatt--as seen from the Hudson, starting at about 2:45 into this video:

Hi Carol, thank you for the reply and all the information.:)

Of course? If I had been 100% sure I would not have asked the

question.....:eek:.....I know Jersey City is close by but had no idea

about Secaucaus.

I'm sorry, I meant to say "why don't you check Google Maps instead of posting here and having someone spend the time telling you" but I wanted to be nice. Here is how you can find your answer.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Newark+Liberty+International+Airport,+3+Brewster+Rd,+Newark,+NJ+07114/Secaucus,+NJ/LaGuardia+Airport,+New+York,+NY+11371/@40.7823386,-74.0297788,10z/am=t/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c252e1c5ec0cef:0xb3f3b437c5d7f286!2m2!1d-74.174462!2d40.689531!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c257b6ccc6e50f:0x5f5d048ca6540e4f!2m2!1d-74.0565298!2d40.7895453!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25f8983424db5:0x772fc4660e9666b3!2m2!1d-73.873966!2d40.776927!3e0

Not to mention that traveling from LGA to NJ is going to be much more expensive than from Newark (which has been discussed here).

Teterboro might be closer if you have a private jet.

I must say that I wish I had the patience of Carol. I still think that people should make some effort to find the easy information themselves and let her answer the difficult stuff.

Edited by MisterBill99

What I've found out on these boards is that there may always be other layers to what is going on or actually being said in posts, so if I can't give a positive, helpful response, I no long post at all.

What you may not know is that LoisR and I are friends from the Solo Cruiser Board and I am happy to help her come up with a plan for stepping outside her comfort zone in the Cape Liberty/New York area to explore other options to staying in NYC itself.

Right now I'm more a fan of Jersey City than Secaucus, but that doesn't mean that my personal choice is best for everyone. The Secaucus area offers a wide selection of chain hotels in a more suburban setting. If you pick a hotel with a nearby bus stop, you can ride directly to Port Authority Bus Terminal. You also have the option of taking a local cab to the Secaucus Junction train station and riding the train one stop into New York Penn Station.

My problem is that I personally dislike riding the bus through the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhattan. Taking a cab (or hotel shuttle if you're lucky) to the Secaucus train station is the same as what you do from an EWR hotel and the additional time savings is not that great. On the other hand staying in the Newport area of Jersey City has two direct connections to Manhattan. It's a 15 minute ride to Herald Square (34th & 6th) and a 8 minute ride to World Trade Center via PATH with indoor stations and no traffic considerations. That means that you can access your hotel for a break during the day without spending a lot of time or money to do so. Taking the light rail to Bayonne for $2.10 is an alternative to taking a car service.

We will be staying three nights at the Courtyard in Jersey City in 2+ weeks. I am taking my camera and will definitely have time to explore the area on foot. My husband and I actually lived near Exchange Place for five years a long time ago, so the logistics and convenience of this area are nothing new to us. We specifically picked this area to stay in for a New York City wedding because it is affordable - car parking is $18, Newark Airport is close (we have an airport pickup and drop off), the Holland Tunnel is up the street, and wedding venue (which has no on site hotels) should be under 20 minutes away.

I'm sorry, I meant to say "why don't you check Google Maps instead of posting here and having someone spend the time telling you" but I wanted to be nice. Here is how you can find your answer.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Newark+Liberty+International+Airport,+3+Brewster+Rd,+Newark,+NJ+07114/Secaucus,+NJ/LaGuardia+Airport,+New+York,+NY+11371/@40.7823386,-74.0297788,10z/am=t/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c252e1c5ec0cef:0xb3f3b437c5d7f286!2m2!1d-74.174462!2d40.689531!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c257b6ccc6e50f:0x5f5d048ca6540e4f!2m2!1d-74.0565298!2d40.7895453!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25f8983424db5:0x772fc4660e9666b3!2m2!1d-73.873966!2d40.776927!3e0

Not to mention that traveling from LGA to NJ is going to be much more expensive than from Newark (which has been discussed here).

Teterboro might be closer if you have a private jet.

I must say that I wish I had the patience of Carol. I still think that people should make some effort to find the easy information themselves and let her answer the difficult stuff.

I am sorry my post bothered you so much:eek::rolleyes::(...I use Google all

the time and I didn't think Carol would mind that I asked her the

question.....I DO make the effort to use the search feature ALOT

and I do use google......next time just don't even respond to my

question if you think it is stupid.

What I've found out on these boards is that there may always be other layers to what is going on or actually being said in posts, so if I can't give a positive, helpful response, I no long post at all.

What you may not know is that LoisR and I are friends from the Solo Cruiser Board and I am happy to help her come up with a plan for stepping outside her comfort zone in the Cape Liberty/New York area to explore other options to staying in NYC itself.

Right now I'm more a fan of Jersey City than Secaucus, but that doesn't mean that my personal choice is best for everyone. The Secaucus area offers a wide selection of chain hotels in a more suburban setting. If you pick a hotel with a nearby bus stop, you can ride directly to Port Authority Bus Terminal. You also have the option of taking a local cab to the Secaucus Junction train station and riding the train one stop into New York Penn Station.

My problem is that I personally dislike riding the bus through the Lincoln Tunnel into Manhattan. Taking a cab (or hotel shuttle if you're lucky) to the Secaucus train station is the same as what you do from an EWR hotel and the additional time savings is not that great. On the other hand staying in the Newport area of Jersey City has two direct connections to Manhattan. It's a 15 minute ride to Herald Square (34th & 6th) and a 8 minute ride to World Trade Center via PATH with indoor stations and no traffic considerations. That means that you can access your hotel for a break during the day without spending a lot of time or money to do so. Taking the light rail to Bayonne for $2.10 is an alternative to taking a car service.

We will be staying three nights at the Courtyard in Jersey City in 2+ weeks. I am taking my camera and will definitely have time to explore the area on foot. My husband and I actually lived near Exchange Place for five years a long time ago, so the logistics and convenience of this area are nothing new to us. We specifically picked this area to stay in for a New York City wedding because it is affordable - car parking is $18, Newark Airport is close (we have an airport pickup and drop off), the Holland Tunnel is up the street, and wedding venue (which has no on site hotels) should be under 20 minutes away.

Thank you Carol:D and I DO appreciate you:)

Thank you Carol:D and I DO appreciate you:)

Carol, I'm hoping you can help me with a couple of questions...

I'm going on a cruise on the Explorer in a couple of weeks. Prior to the cruise, we're visiting Manhattan for a couple of days. We plan to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor and take the bus when we go into the city. You said above that you don't like doing that. I know it's just your personal opinion, but I just wondered if you could tell me why. It looks so easy, so I just want to be sure I'm not putting us into an unpleasant situation.

Also, the cruise leaves on a Saturday (4pm departure). We plan to visit the Statue of Liberty that morning and then leave Liberty State Park (via our personal car) for the cruise terminal at 12:30pm. Looks like it should only be about a 15 minute drive (without traffic) and we'll need to park. Do you think traffic could be so bad getting into the terminal that we'd be at risk of missing the ship?

The Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is right at the Lincoln Tunnel. You can hop on a bus for a quick ride through the tunnel and can survive standing if necessary. My personal problem with the bus involves longer trips where you can get caught in traffic on the Lincoln Tunnel approach. Coming out of the city, I'm not keen on dealing with finding the correct bus platform in Port Authority Bus Terminal. So if I have a choice, I'll take any sort of rail transportation over the bus.

One advantage to the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is that you also have a ferry option plus the light rail option to go to Hoboken or Newport or Exchange Place to catch PATH into downtown Manhattan or Greenwich Village.

Liberty State Park is about 15 minutes from the port. Leaving there at 12:30 should be fine - you should miss most of the chaos at Cape Liberty.

Edited by 138east

The Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is right at the Lincoln Tunnel. You can hop on a bus for a quick ride through the tunnel and can survive standing if necessary. My personal problem with the bus involves longer trips where you can get caught in traffic on the Lincoln Tunnel approach. Coming out of the city, I'm not keen on dealing with finding the correct bus platform in Port Authority Bus Terminal. So if I have a choice, I'll take any sort of rail transportation over the bus.

One advantage to the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is that you also have a ferry option plus the light rail option to go to Hoboken or Newport or Exchange Place to catch PATH into downtown Manhattan or Greenwich Village.

Liberty State Park is about 15 minutes from the port. Leaving there at 12:30 should be fine - you should miss most of the chaos at Cape Liberty.

Thank you!

We have a group some flying in, some driving from the south and some driving from the west. Would like to stay close to the port and we plan on parking at the port. Staying just one night. Is Jersey City a good option? Looking for the easiest way to get to the port in the morning.

For one night with no New York sightseeing, staying at the airport is the easiest for your diverse group arriving by plane and car from different places. What is your budget? What are your meal requirements? What is your exact date?

Newark airport is on the NJ Turnpike accessible from exits 14 and 13A and I78. If folks are coming in I80 they can pick up the NJ Turnpike at exit 18 and go to exit 14. The NJ Turnpike extension eastbound starts at exit 14 and the first eastbound exit is Bayonne at exit 14A.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be abl

Construction is underway for the new terminal and the garage. I'm sure there will be updates on this board (as well as the main Quantum board) as things are finished and put into service. However, the location of Cape Liberty remains the same as well as how you get to the port entrance. Hopefully the traffic pattern by the terminal will be improved, but no news on that yet.

Edited by 138east