CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

138East--- Please explain the boarding process for Cape Liberty. I have read somewhere that you arrive and have to get on shuttle or bus to get to the ship?? Is this true? I am accustomed to getting to the port, parking, walking out the parking garage to the bulding, checking in and boarding right there. I have read that they shuttle u? So confused Have sailed many times out of PC, Galveston, Miami, LA and nothing like that craziness. HELP!!!

Guest maddycat
138East--- Please explain the boarding process for Cape Liberty. I have read somewhere that you arrive and have to get on shuttle or bus to get to the ship?? Is this true? I am accustomed to getting to the port, parking, walking out the parking garage to the bulding, checking in and boarding right there. I have read that they shuttle u? So confused Have sailed many times out of PC, Galveston, Miami, LA and nothing like that craziness. HELP!!!

I'm not 138East, but I'll answer you. We sail out of Bayonne twice a year. There is a shuttle bus from the terminal to the ship. It's for safety/security. At this time there is no parking garage. One is being built. Hopefully, it will be completed by the time that the Quantum arrives, which is early November. Right now you park your car in an open lot. Walk back to the terminal. Go through security. Check in. Take the shuttle bus. Board the ship.

A new terminal is also being constructed. Again, hopefully, it will be completed by the time that the Quantum arrives in Nov.

The ride on the bus is only a couple of minutes. It's no big deal.

Edited by maddycat

I'm not 138East, but I'll answer you. We sail out of Bayonne twice a year. There is a shuttle bus from the terminal to the ship. It's for safety/security. At this time there is no parking garage. One is being built. Hopefully, it will be completed by the time that the Quantum arrives, which is early November. Right now you park your car in an open lot. Walk back to the terminal. Go through security. Check in. Take the shuttle bus. Board the ship.

A new terminal is also being constructed. Again, hopefully, it will be completed by the time that the Quantum arrives in Nov.

The ride on the bus is only a couple of minutes. It's no big deal.

Thank you for a fast response. So does that mean my handicapped parents have to walk from our car, not close to the terminal and wait for a bus after check in. so when we return I can't just walk out of luggage area and grab my car to get the parents....?

Guest maddycat
Thank you for a fast response. So does that mean my handicapped parents have to walk from our car, not close to the terminal and wait for a bus after check in. so when we return I can't just walk out of luggage area and grab my car to get the parents....?

When is your cruise? Maybe you'll be lucky and the new garage and terminal will be finished. If not........You can drop off your parents, park the car in the handicapped area and meet them in the terminal.

Are they in wheel chairs, scooters, have walkers, canes? The buses accommodate handicapped passengers.

When you disembark they can wait outside with the luggage while you get the car and come back to pick them up along with the luggage. Or you can have a porter bring the luggage to your car when you go to get it. Then go back to pick up your parents. Everything is very close.

You will be directed where to park to drop off luggage while you are in the line of cars getting in and your parents can get out there too, then you can park a short distance away and meet them in the tent before check in. There are benches that they can sit and wait for you to park.

If you need handicap assist contact RCCL and they will provide a wheel chair if needed at check in. The busses have low landings to get in though.

When you return again your parents can wait in the tent with your luggage for you to pick them up after you get the car :)

You've gotten great info about the drop off at Cape Liberty. The only thing I would add is to tell the guy directing traffic you have a handicapped drop off and he will tell you what numbered bay to pull into to be closer to the terminal entrance for your parents.

Here are the directions into the port from the turnpike.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Leaving on Summit on 9/7. Last time we took the Verrazano, even though we live on the north shore of Long Island, because it is a route we are familiar with. But I believe the Bayonne Bridge is closed. If we are traveling late morning, is it reasonable to plan to travel over the Williamsburg and through lower Manhattan to the tunnel? Is this a traffic nightmare in the making? Is there a better alternative?

The Bayonne Bridge was closed overnight Friday 9/5 through early this morning Saturday 9/6, but is now open. I don't see any further closings scheduled for this weekend.

It is scheduled to be closed next weekend, from 9 pm Friday 9/12 through 5 am Monday 9/15. If you're returning to Long Island on Sunday 9/14 you can either take the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan and then one of the East River crossings to Brooklyn or Queens (traffic in Manhattan is generally light on Sunday mornings) or take the NJ Turnpike south to exit 13, cross into Staten island on the Goethals Bridge and then continue on I 278 through Staten Island to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Edited by njhorseman

hi all,

I will be going on my first cruise out of Cape Liberty soon, plan to stay the night before on Staten Island and will use the Hilton Garden Inn/Hampton Inn shuttle service to get to and from the pier.

Is there any way that I can visit the 9/11 Memorial since I will not have a vehicle at the port? Can I walk there from the terminal, or every better, from the ship? Would I be allowed back off the ship after I drop my carry-on in the cabin?

thanks so much for any info/advice!

Leaving tomorrow on Summit for a NE/Canada cruise. We're staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. We're Diamond members so The Hilton family is a must. We have been blown away by this hotel - in a very good way. Remodel is completed and they are as nice as can be.

We knew they had an airport shuttle, but never were told (& we talked to the hotel several times) that we needed to make a reservation for pick up 1 hour after landing. My DH called the hotel and they picked up the taxi tab. Then, we were having dinner at the fabulous Lorzeno's in the hotel and a lady came by our table saying she worked directly for the owners and if there was anything we needed.....etc. DH told her about the shuttle situation. She immediately pulled out a notebook and wrote down what he said about the shuttle and then bought our party if 3 dessert. Very unexpected and appreciated.

This hotel also has a free shuttle to the cruise port (reservations required, which we made a month ago) and breakfast. Check it out if you're cruising from Port Liberty.

Bobbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What is your date? How many people? Are you looking for a park sleep or are you parking at the port? Are you coming in I80 or the PA turnpike? Are you trying to sightsee in NYC?

What is your top budget? IMO the best hotels are probably in Jersey City, but they can be pricey.

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination. There are hotels we recommend that are nice - Marriott tends to have the nicest hotels across several brands.

What is your date? How many people? Are you looking for a park sleep or are you parking at the port? Are you coming in I80 or the PA turnpike? Are you trying to sightsee in NYC?

What is your top budget? IMO the best hotels are probably in Jersey City, but they can be pricey.

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination. There are hotels we recommend that are nice - Marriott tends to have the nicest hotels across several brands.

We come in sept 19th for departure on sept 20th. I have 6 of us so a suite or 2 dbl rooms. Parking at the port. I have residence inn in parsiphanny(sp) booked right now. Just was wondering if there was anything closer but still nice. It looks like it might be turnpike to I-78. Does that make sense. No sightseeing on this vacay just in Bermuda.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm seeing the master Marrriott and the Renaissance on LastMinuteTravel.com for $133 plus tax/room when requesting two rooms with 3 people. These are two of the nicest hotels at the airport. You need to check if there is an extra charge for parking - some hotel do charge and some don't.

I'm seeing the master Marrriott and the Renaissance on LastMinuteTravel.com for $133 plus tax/room when requesting two rooms with 3 people. These are two of the nicest hotels at the airport. You need to check if there is an extra charge for parking - some hotel do charge and some don't.

Closer to the port and easier to get to the port then what I have now???

The only reason to stay in Parsippany is if you come in I80. You are driving all the way from Ohio in one day. We often recommend that folks who do this stay about an hour from the port because the hotels are a lot cheaper, the areas are nicer and more suburban, and you don't have to deal with the urban congestion around Newark Airport at the end of a long trip. For folks coming from the south, we recommend hotels in the Edison, Jamesburg, or Hightstown area. The port is about a 45 minute drive on the turnpike and you don't have to deal with the Newark Airport roads.

Being in the closest hotel to the port is not necessarily the best strategy for Cape Liberty. You really want under an hour and easy if you've been traveling over the road all day.

Edited by 138east

The only reason to stay in Parsippany is if you come in I80. You are driving all the way from Ohio in one day. We often recommend that folks who do this stay about an hour from the port because the hotels are a lot cheaper, the areas are nicer and more suburban, and you don't have to deal with the urban congestion around Newark Airport at the end of a long trip. For folks coming from the south, we recommend hotels in the Edison, Jamesburg, or Hightstown area. The port is about a 45 minute drive on the turnpike and you don't have to deal with the Newark Airport roads.

Being in the closest hotel to the port is not necessarily the best strategy for Cape Liberty. You really want under an hour and easy if you've been traveling over the road all day.

Carol,

You are absolutely correct....Parsippany, Morristown,Whippany are 30 to 40 minute drive from the port and are in quiet safe neighborhoods. If you search around HW you can find 4 star for $60. to $80

Yes there are some awesome deals in the Parsippany area on Hotwire for 3* and up hotels that anyone would find acceptable. I don't recommend Hotwire for EWR because the star ratings tend not to live up to expectations. Folks who have done Hotwire in Parsippany have been very happy. It's a more comfortable suburban area with easily accessible restaurants and stores unlike EWR where the eating choices are very limited unless you want to explore the spaghetti roads at the airport or go into downtown Newark.

Yes there are some awesome deals in the Parsippany area on Hotwire for 3* and up hotels that anyone would find acceptable. I don't recommend Hotwire for EWR because the star ratings tend not to live up to expectations. Folks who have done Hotwire in Parsippany have been very happy. It's a more comfortable suburban area with easily accessible restaurants and stores unlike EWR where the eating choices are very limited unless you want to explore the spaghetti roads at the airport or go into downtown Newark.

i went on to just try and get a good deal. Priceline --Hyatt House Parsippany 1 BR suite $60!! (2 of them) Just saved myself $70!

Michelle

i went on to just try and get a good deal. Priceline --Hyatt House Parsippany 1 BR suite $60!! (2 of them) Just saved myself $70!

Michelle

We have stayed there several times using Hot wire for around that price...nice area large separate bedroom suite and good shopping....much better than around Elizabeth......in my opinion.

Park at the port with no shuttle hassles.

Was that an express deal or did you bid?