CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We have stayed there several times using Hot wire for around that price...nice area large separate bedroom suite and good shopping....much better than around Elizabeth......in my opinion.

Park at the port with no shuttle hassles.

Was that an express deal or did you bid?

no i bid $50 & they rejected it so i bid $60 & won! has nice breakfast too which is nice go down, eat in our jammies and then get ready

Michelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums

no i bid $50 & they rejected it so i bid $60 & won! has nice breakfast too which is nice go down, eat in our jammies and then get ready

Michelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know what you are doing.... are very seasoned.

Research St Catherine beach...a bit of a trek but good snorkeling and quiet beach.

hope you enjoy your cruise

Is there any way that I can visit the 9/11 Memorial since I will not have a vehicle at the port? Can I walk there from the terminal, or even better, from the ship? Would I be allowed back off the ship after I drop my carry-on in the cabin?

We're sailing out of Cape Liberty really soon, too and are also interested in the answer to this question. Am reposting in the hopes someone knows the answer.

Thanks!

Thanks to all the great ideas and discussion on this thread, we've booked 4 nights at the Hilton Penn Station late April 2015 pre-Bermuda cruise. We'll be driving from Ohio and here's what I'd like some advice/opinions about-- should we leave our car at the hotel garage during cruise week or drive to and park at the port facility? Both are about the same daily rate. And, I'm thinking that maybe I should wait until the Quantum dock work is finished and find out how the parking situation shakes out before making a decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by tnfcruise

Thanks to all the great ideas and discussion on this thread, we've booked 4 nights at the Hilton Penn Station late April 2015 pre-Bermuda cruise. We'll be driving from Ohio and here's what I'd like some advice/opinions about-- should we leave our car at the hotel garage during cruise week or drive to and park at the port facility? Both are about the same daily rate. And, I'm thinking that maybe I should wait until the Quantum dock work is finished and find out how the parking situation shakes out before making a decision.

You're right - you don't have to make a decision now. But it will cost you about $100-120 for a cab/car service to and from the port to leave your car at the hotel in Newark. If you're driving back to Ohio, you will waste valuable drive time collecting your car after the cruise.

Even before the Quantum Cape Liberty had more than adequate parking to handle the cars from two ships. One thing the port does have right now is space - the terminal and parking is located two miles out a relatively deserted peninsula. The new parking garage will offer covered parking for winter cruises that is close to the terminal. It is really not needed to increase the parking capacity.

What are you paying for the Newark Penn Station Hilton? Did you price out the hotels in Jersey City for your dates? As long as you are paying to park your car for several days precruise as well as paying to park at the port, you should consider staying closer to Manhattan with better public transportation options.

Here's my review of our three day stay at the Courtyard in Jersey City.

Marriott Courtyard Jersey City

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2100825

You're right - you don't have to make a decision now. But it will cost you about $100-120 for a cab/car service to and from the port to leave your car at the hotel in Newark. If you're driving back to Ohio, you will waste valuable drive time collecting your car after the cruise.

Even before the Quantum Cape Liberty had more than adequate parking to handle the cars from two ships. One thing the port does have right now is space - the terminal and parking is located two miles out a relatively deserted peninsula. The new parking garage will offer covered parking for winter cruises that is close to the terminal. It is really not needed to increase the parking capacity.

Decision made! We'll park at the port. Your wealth of information is simply terrific...thank you so much.

What are you paying for the Newark Penn Station Hilton? Did you price out the hotels in Jersey City for your dates? As long as you are paying to park your car for several days precruise as well as paying to park at the port, you should consider staying closer to Manhattan with better public transportation options.

Here's my review of our three day stay at the Courtyard in Jersey City.

Marriott Courtyard Jersey City

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2100825

Right after you posted I read your review, Carol, and checked out that Courtyard. Marriott is always my preferred chain anyway. Unfortunately, I blew my points recently on a Ft Lauderdale stay and the best rate I could get at the Jersey City location for my dates averaged $329 per night. The Hilton is $149 which I think is pretty darn good. Right?

Besides the low cost, my other main reason for choosing that Hilton is it being connected to the train station. And, I was led to believe I can catch a train from there and be in Manhattan in 15 minutes. Although I've been to NYC on a number of business trips in recent years, my free time was limited. I always managed to get in a couple of Broadway shows and a MOMA or Metropolitan Mus of Art afternoon, but with three full days on the Island I want to leisurely explore The Frick, Ellis Island, Cathedral of St John the Divine, and a few other things. So, is my choice of hotel a good starting point? And, not too bad a drive to the port? BTW, we're on Celebrity to Bermuda departing on Sunday, May 3rd. Thanks, 138east and anyone else who wants to chime in.

You have a great deal at the Hilton. Keep it and enjoy. The prices can be really crazy. That's why I always ask for the exact dates because the prices are so inconsistent and it's worth checking a variety of hotels. You will have both the train and the PATH option from Newark Penn Station.

I have been following this board for six month to a year to gain insights and make decisions regarding flying into Newark, a place to stay and transportation to the cruise port.

We were on the 9/11 RC Canada/New England cruise. We flew in from Idaho late on the 10th and stayed at the Country Inn and Suites. Had some difficulties finding the hotel shuttle pick up site, but it all worked out and didn't take to long to get to the right location. Signed up for the Cruise Port Shuttle/bus when we got to the hotel and ended up with an earlier ride to the port than what we had been told was the earliest still available. When we arrived at the port it was smooth sailing through the lines and didn't take us more than an hour to get on board the ship =)

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful information I found on the board and let you know what our personal experience was =)

Thanks, 138East, for recommending Independent Driver for our recent use for the 9/7 cruise on the Summit out of Bayonne/Newark. We used his company 3 times, from EWR to the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth on 9/6, to the port the next morning, and then from the ship area to EWR upon our return on 9/21.

Abdul dealt well with our very late arrival (about 2+ hrs) in Newark because of airport delays there due to weather on Sat, picked us up early on Sun to go to the ship, and then had his wife pick us up on our return to port, as he was dealing with a 22 person pickup with other vehicles. He stayed in touch by cell phone all 3 days, stopped by on Sun the 21st to make sure all was well and to let us know his wife was right behind him to get us to our early flight out of EWR, etc.

Do not hesitate to contact him for your Cape Liberty area travels. Much easier than the hotel shuttles, no dragging luggage across the EWR airport to the shuttle pickup spots, and a reasonable price compared to taxi. And interesting conversations as we navigated the roads!

hi all,

I will be going on my first cruise out of Cape Liberty soon, plan to stay the night before on Staten Island and will use the Hilton Garden Inn/Hampton Inn shuttle service to get to and from the pier.

Is there any way that I can visit the 9/11 Memorial since I will not have a vehicle at the port? Can I walk there from the terminal, or every better, from the ship? Would I be allowed back off the ship after I drop my carry-on in the cabin?

thanks so much for any info/advice!

I didn't see anyone address this so I will try. I had checked with the Hampton in SI for our cruise in Nov 2015. They have a shuttle that will take you to the ferry. From the NY side you should be able to walk to the 9/11 memorial and then catch the ferry back. Plan on flying in early and do it the day before your cruise.

I didn't see anyone address this so I will try. I had checked with the Hampton in SI for our cruise in Nov 2015. They have a shuttle that will take you to the ferry. From the NY side you should be able to walk to the 9/11 memorial and then catch the ferry back. Plan on flying in early and do it the day before your cruise.

I'm sure the poster was asking about the 9/11 memorial that is at the Cape Liberty cruise port, not the 9/11 memorial in Manhattan. They asked about walking to the memorial from the ship or cruise terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

To answer the original question, you should be able to drop off your carry on, ride the shuttle bus back to the terminal and walk to the 911 Memorial. The unknown in this case is the current construction and how it is affecting the area between the terminal and the memorial. You cannot walk there directly from the ship.

Hi I am looking for information I need to get from the cruise port to my hotel in times square what would be the best option.

We are also travelling from the port to a hotel in Times Square but the transfer is included in our package. Mind you we booked the package direct with RC. When is your cruise Notts cruiser?

Hi I am looking for information I need to get from the cruise port to my hotel in times square what would be the best option.

The best (meaning easiest and most convenient...but most expensive) would be to book a car service, such as Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com or Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com . The total of fare, tolls and tip will cost about $75 -$80 (for the vehicle, not per person).

Edited by njhorseman

I haven't gone through Cape Liberty before and the only reasonable flights I can find so far for a return are 10:30AM and 11:00AM, is this too early to catch a flight? The itinerary says we'll be back in port by 7AM, but i'm not sure if its cutting it too close, anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Guest maddycat
I haven't gone through Cape Liberty before and the only reasonable flights I can find so far for a return are 10:30AM and 11:00AM, is this too early to catch a flight? The itinerary says we'll be back in port by 7AM, but i'm not sure if its cutting it too close, anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

If the ship arrives on time and you do the self-debarkation (walk off with your luggage) then you could make those flights. However, there is no guarantee that the ship will arrive on time and clear customs quickly. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

Thanks, 138East, for recommending Independent Driver for our recent use for the 9/7 cruise on the Summit out of Bayonne/Newark. We used his company 3 times, from EWR to the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth on 9/6, to the port the next morning, and then from the ship area to EWR upon our return on 9/21.

Abdul dealt well with our very late arrival (about 2+ hrs) in Newark because of airport delays there due to weather on Sat, picked us up early on Sun to go to the ship, and then had his wife pick us up on our return to port, as he was dealing with a 22 person pickup with other vehicles. He stayed in touch by cell phone all 3 days, stopped by on Sun the 21st to make sure all was well and to let us know his wife was right behind him to get us to our early flight out of EWR, etc.

Do not hesitate to contact him for your Cape Liberty area travels. Much easier than the hotel shuttles, no dragging luggage across the EWR airport to the shuttle pickup spots, and a reasonable price compared to taxi. And interesting conversations as we navigated the roads!

Sorry, but is Independent Driver a company or are you referring to a specific person?

I will need a driver for 6 people and baggage. How do I check this out?

Thanks!

It's a no frills company that can arrange varying sized cars to accommodate groups. They don't have a web site. You have to call them 4-6 weeks ahead to make a reservation. They should be able to accommodate your group of six. Folks have been very happy with them.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

It's a no frills company that can arrange varying sized cars to accommodate groups. They don't have a web site. You have to call them 4-6 weeks ahead to make a reservation. They should be able to accommodate your group of six. Folks have been very happy with them.

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Thank you!

Hi,

We would like to tour at least the Lower Manhattan area before we head off to the airport. Are there any tours (preferably bus tours) that will pick us up from the pier in Bayonne, tour Lower Manhattan and then drop us off at the airport? Surely someone other than the cruise ship has got to offer a bus tour.

Please provide more information. What airport are you flying from and what time is your flight?

It looks like you are coming in on the Quantum on Monday, Nov 10. No one really knows how that arrival will go since Quantum is an unknown quantity. It's a transatlantic and it will carry more people than the ships that normally sail from Cape Liberty, which is currently under construction. It will be the first disembarkation from the Quantum, so there are all sorts of possibilities for delays.

No one has posted about tours of New York other than the excursions offered by the cruise line, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Your only possibility other than the ship's tour may be to make a private arrangement.