CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

I didn't know that you have stayed there! I've only been in the lobby - I did a drive by several years ago.

Just to clarify my previous post - these are the only Hilton hotels that I know of which offer a port shuttle. There are other hotels at Newark Airport, but basically we just recommend the Ramada deal and Country Inns. The other hotels with shuttles are in more fringe areas where there are increased concerns about leaving your car for an extended time.

There is a hefty bridge toll to get on to Staten Island, but no toll coming back. Unlike the airport hotels these hotels are in a lovely setting in a wooded corporate park - it's hard to imagine you are actually in New York City. However, there are no services within walking distance, so if you don't have a car, you are limited to eating in the Hilton Gardens for dinner(good reports on the restaurant). Take out or a cab to a nearby restaurant would be other options.

Unlike the airport hotels these hotels are in a lovely setting in a wooded corporate park - it's hard to imagine you are actually in New York City. However, there are no services within walking distance, so if you don't have a car, you are limited to eating in the Hilton Gardens for dinner(good reports on the restaurant). Take out or a cab to a nearby restaurant would be other options.

Ah but if you weren't driving in with a car and needed to park & cruise, why would you stay in Staten Island?

These hotels will pick you up at Newark Airport and shuttle you the next day to Cape Liberty. No need to stay in an airport hotel and then arrange and pay for transportation to Cape Liberty. The vibe is much more tranquil and serene in this area of Staten Island.

Most Newark airport hotels don't have much around them either. Many hotels offer free breakfast but have no other food service. You may be limited to take out. If you're lucky there may be a neighboring hotel that has a restaurant.

Edited by 138east

I just called the new Embassy suites as their rates are only $152 (military) the person I spoke with said parking would be free, they have a car service they contract with and she said it was about $65. I asked if that was per person and she said no. I want to double check that but if it is correct that would be a great deal. and you get a free cooked to order breakfast too. Has anyone stayed at this hotel yet and use the car service?

I just called the new Embassy suites as their rates are only $152 (military) the person I spoke with said parking would be free, they have a car service they contract with and she said it was about $65. I asked if that was per person and she said no. I want to double check that but if it is correct that would be a great deal. and you get a free cooked to order breakfast too. Has anyone stayed at this hotel yet and use the car service?

Embassy Suites is the newest hotel at the airport and would be an excellent choice. My concern is the parking for the duration of the cruise. This is a hotel that normally charges $14/night for parking. They might comp you one night's parking, but I would want to get the offer for free parking for the duration of your cruise in writing. The $152 rate ends up being $183 with tax.

Embassy suites is on Trinity for $205 tax included.

Get a quote from Independent driver - 888-816-0973. It should be $45-50.

Bottom line it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Free breakfast is nice, but you're going on a ship that is awash with endless food.

Don't forget about the nightly cocktail reception :)

Flying into Newark for Oct 4 celebrity cruise. Planning to come in one to two days early and looking at the Hyatt, Jersey City. I understand good views to NYC and easy to get to lower Manhatten. My question is, what is the best way to get from Newark airport to the Hyatt and then Hyatt to the port and approx. costs. Trains are probably out as we'll have too much luggage to drag on and off. Thanks

Cab or car service should be $50-60 from EWR to the Hyatt as well as the Hyatt to Cape Liberty.

Check out the light rail station near the Hyatt. There is a street level train that goes to 34th St in Bayonne where you call Bayonne taxi to take you into the port. Cost would be $15-20 for two people and even a little less if you're seniors.

HI

Sorry if all this has been asked before but I am from the UK and this will be our first time in New York and I don't have a clue re. the areas etc despite trying to read through a lot of stuff on here. Our plan would be to stay one night pre cruise ( cruising on Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty Sept 2015 ) but would it be stay in Downtown New York or close to the port terminal. We plan to stay in New York for 5 nights post cruise aswell. What would be the best option for us to minimise hassle on the departure day. Is there a lot to do / see around the cruise terminal area or would staying there be a wasted afternoon / evening. I have no idea how far places are away from each other and whether transport links would be straightforward. After reading this there seem to be lots of options, but that just adds to my confusion. Sorry to be a total dimwit, but all help and advice very gratefully received.

HI

Sorry if all this has been asked before but I am from the UK and this will be our first time in New York and I don't have a clue re. the areas etc despite trying to read through a lot of stuff on here. Our plan would be to stay one night pre cruise ( cruising on Liberty of the Seas out of Cape Liberty Sept 2015 ) but would it be stay in Downtown New York or close to the port terminal. We plan to stay in New York for 5 nights post cruise aswell. What would be the best option for us to minimise hassle on the departure day. Is there a lot to do / see around the cruise terminal area or would staying there be a wasted afternoon / evening. I have no idea how far places are away from each other and whether transport links would be straightforward. After reading this there seem to be lots of options, but that just adds to my confusion. Sorry to be a total dimwit, but all help and advice very gratefully received.

Happy New Year!

Liberty will sail from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, New Jersey. There are no nearby hotels and the port itself is underwhelming - similar to working port areas in Europe like Le Havre or Zeebrugge. Staying close to the port terminal is not an option.

Several questions first - What airport are you flying into? What is your hotel budget? What are your exact dates? Would you consider taking public transit with your luggage? I'm assuming two people.

The reality is that wherever you stay, you will always need to go somewhere else and like London, the subway is often the best way to get from one place to another. Car service livery transport between New Jersey and Manhattan can be pricey - $80-100

• 2 weeks later...

Which airport is best to fly into for a November 1 cruise? We will fly in the day prior and will need a decent but economical hotel. Also... I use a wheelchair and am hoping someone has some transportation ideas to the pier. There will be 3 couples plus luggage. Thanks for any and all help.

Which airport is best to fly into for a November 1 cruise? We will fly in the day prior and will need a decent but economical hotel. Also... I use a wheelchair and am hoping someone has some transportation ideas to the pier. There will be 3 couples plus luggage. Thanks for any and all help.

If you're sailing on RCL and sailing from Cape Liberty, you definitely want to fly into Newark.

Could you provide more details about your mobility issue and exactly what you require? All hotels should offer "handicapped accessible" rooms. Do you require a fully accessible van (i.e. one where you can sit in your wheelchair) or can you transfer and sit in a vehicle?

What is your hotel budget?

Please also checked the disabled cruisers board for more information.

Thank you so much!!! I use a wheelchair - can't walk but can transfer into a car. I can't usually manage shuttle buses because most have steps to board. Budget wise for the hotel, I honestly don't know what to expect. I have not really been to the New York area before so I am kind of at a loss as to what the "norm " is there.

Thank you so much!!! I use a wheelchair - can't walk but can transfer into a car. I can't usually manage shuttle buses because most have steps to board. Budget wise for the hotel, I honestly don't know what to expect. I have not really been to the New York area before so I am kind of at a loss as to what the "norm " is there.

For moderate hotels for 10/31 I'd look at Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn, and Country Inns - $111-123. You must be selective about your hotel at Newark Airport - the cheap hotels are exactly that - cheap hotels. These hotels offer free breakfast, but don't have restaurants. If you require an evening meal in the hotel other than takeout, look at the Ramada Plaza. I also believe that Hampton Inn is connected to the Renaissance, which is a full service hotel with restaurants.

I'm going to try to get you more information on car services that can accommodate your needs. The reality of the airport is that you will not be able to use the free hotel shuttles (you must go on the Airtrain to the P4 station for the shuttles) so you will have to take a cab to the hotel. With 6 people you will need two carlike vehicles so that you can get to the port.

For moderate hotels for 10/31 I'd look at Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn, and Country Inns - $111-123. You must be selective about your hotel at Newark Airport - the cheap hotels are exactly that - cheap hotels. These hotels offer free breakfast, but don't have restaurants. If you require an evening meal in the hotel other than takeout, look at the Ramada Plaza. I also believe that Hampton Inn is connected to the Renaissance, which is a full service hotel with restaurants.

I'm going to try to get you more information on car services that can accommodate your needs. The reality of the airport is that you will not be able to use the free hotel shuttles (you must go on the Airtrain to the P4 station for the shuttles) so you will have to take a cab to the hotel. With 6 people you will need two carlike vehicles so that you can get to the port.

TECHNICALLY, with ADA, if a hotel provides a service (read: shuttles) they MUST have one that is WC accessible. Does that always happen? Nope, BUT you can request it or contact the hotel. MANY, but not all will have a shuttle that is so equipped...I am almost positive that any Marriott brand (save possibly the Fairfield ) have such a van/shuttle but you'd need to call ahead.

You can TRY this company if they are still around...http://www.twinlimo.com/

I used them once for my mom and they came all the way to our Central NJ house from up by EWR. Not sure if they're still around BUT it may be worth a look.

Edited by megr1125

Hello everyone! Thank you in advance for the wonderful advice I know you can provide me. I did scan through a few of the pages of this thread, but of course the information is overwhelming.

Here's the background: DH and I will be driving from KY to NJ this summer for a 9 night cruise on Liberty OTS that leaves on June 18, 2015. Fortunately, I have a sister who lives in Montclair, NJ, so we will be staying with her the night before the cruise and probably a couple of days post-cruise.

I need to know what to do with my car. I can leave it at my sister's house... I think when we were there in October we just had to pay like $5 a day for parking. If we do this though, we will need a way to the pier because the cruise leaves on a Thursday, and my sister and her boyfriend will both have to work. We MAY also need a way back, depending on their work schedules. Sometimes they have to work on Saturday as well. So, if we can pay $5 per day for 9 days and leave the car at her house ($45), what is the most economical way for DH and I (and our luggage) to get from her apartment in Montclair to and from the cruise port? OR, do we just need to drive in and find somewhere to park. Last year in Florida we used Park N' Go. Does NJ have that service? It was pretty reasonable.

Just park at the pier...the alternate place is not recommended and can be unreliable..

You would need a car service and from Montclair you are likely looking at 100 bucks-ish each way....

Currently it is $19 to park at CL...may change when the garage is done but that is not yet known...

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Okay, my sister said she is definitely planning to take off work on Saturday, so she can pick us up. So, what would you recommend since we only need one way transportation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ask your sister if she can recommend any of the local taxi or car service companies. Here are two (I can't make a personal recommendation as I'm not familiar with them):

Montclair Taxicab Service http://www.montclairtaxicab.com/

Montclair Car Service http://www.montclaircarservice.com/

I did a google search and found a site taxifarefinder.com. They said fare should be around $37.00 as it is only 10.6 miles and should only take 19 minutes. I have no way of knowing if that is reasonable or not. Thanks

The taxi fare Finder is not good for this area because you will be going between two different cities and different rates apply.

Folks have reported that the fixed fare between Newark Airport and Bayonne is $46. Add on tip and tolls and you are around $55. You also can't rely on the timing. It all depends on the traffic between EWR and NJ Turnpike Exit 14A in Bayonne plus the port traffic. The port traffic can be a killer depending on how many people arrive when you do. It's taken me 45 minutes to go from an EWR hotel to Cape Liberty and others have occasionally reported longer times. When I drove to the port I once arrived and it was dead dead dead, so for that trip it took us 45 minutes from central NJ!