CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Where do you want to go?

The livery service at Cape Liberty is controlled by the taxi dispatcher. Prices to the most common destinations are posted. Options include private cars and shared shuttles to Newark Airport as well as private cars to NYC and the other NY airports.

A livery car can pick up at Cape Liberty only if it is prebooked by a passenger or if it goes through the taxi dispatcher. There are not random taxis lined up to be grabbed by disembarking passengers. The cars are staged in a cell phone lot and summoned by the dispatcher for pickups.

If we have a 1:00 pm flight out from EWR, do you recommend we prebook a car or just get a cab from the dispatch?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DW and i will be sailing on the Anthem Of The Seas in early Nov, sailing out of Cape Liberty. Never been to this port, looking for help/info. We will be driving down from Toronto the day before sailing, looking for a nice hotel close by, and ideas on where to leave the car safely for the 12 days.....Hotel or long term at the port?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Come up with a budget for room, parking, and port transportation and post back. Few hotels offer an all inclusive package.

Newark is not a vacation destination - it caters primarily to a one night transient crowd. Your most economical choice is Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Paza for $208 tax included with 14 days parking AND round trip port transportation.

To give you a frame of reference port parking is $19/day so it's $228 for 12 days. There are no hotels in Bayonne. Hotels are at Newark Airport and Jersey City. Livery transfer from a hotel to the port is $55 plus tolls and tip for the car. Coming back you can get a shared shuttle for $17/pp to an Airport hotel.

The hotels with packages that we recommend are Country Inns in Elizabeth and Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens on Staten Island. You are driving to Ontario, so Staten Island is not in the right direction for you.

Although it may cost a bit more, you should consider parking the car at the port so you can be on your way home as soon as you disembark. If you park at a hotel it could take a good hour or more in total to be picked up by a shuttle and driven back to the hotel. To me, that hour or more is better spent driving home, particularly because you have a long trip back to Toronto.

If you decide to park at the pier you should consider staying at a hotel a little further from the port than the Newark Airport area. Parsippany, NJ is a suburban town just off I 80 that's about a 40-45 minute drive from Cape Liberty. The town has a good selection of hotels and restaurants and a suburban environment that you won't find in the immediate Newark area.If you're traveling on a weekend, the hotels in Parsippany can have attractive rates because they are mostly occupied by business travelers during the week and they are usually looking to fill those rooms on weekends.

Your most economical choice is Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Paza for $208 tax included with 14 days parking AND round trip port transportation.

For a 12 night cruise AND needing parking, I would recommend the Trinityreservations route, unless they really need to make a quick exit from the port to get home. Heck, I did it for a 12 night cruise a few years ago and I live an hour and a half from the port.

Although it may cost a bit more, you should consider parking the car at the port so you can be on your way home as soon as you disembark. If you park at a hotel it could take a good hour or more in total to be picked up by a shuttle and driven back to the hotel. To me, that hour or more is better spent driving home, particularly because you have a long trip back to Toronto.

If you decide to park at the pier you should consider staying at a hotel a little further from the port than the Newark Airport area. Parsippany, NJ is a suburban town just off I 80 that's about a 40-45 minute drive from Cape Liberty. The town has a good selection of hotels and restaurants and a suburban environment that you won't find in the immediate Newark area.If you're traveling on a weekend, the hotels in Parsippany can have attractive rates because they are mostly occupied by business travelers during the week and they are usually looking to fill those rooms on weekends.

I also like this plan for folks who are driving many hours to Cape Liberty from the northwest. No need to deal with driving around the airport looking for your hotel. After a long day's drive you will be glad to get off the road in the Parsippany area. The suburban hotels are newer and definitely a cut above the airport hotels. There will be lots of food choices for dinner and most likely a free breakfast at the hotel. It's an easy drive to Cape Liberty and when you disembark, you will really appreciate hopping in the car and heading home.

Hi Everyone....hope someone can help me out.....

we will be driving to newark from our house to catch our flight to San Juan (we will be on the repor cruise from San Juan to Bayonne, April 25th to May 3rd) and I was wondering was is the best thing to do about parking. I was thinking of parking at the EWR long term parking, we will then catch Bayonne cruise shuttle to EWR when disembarking the cruise. Or maybe we could park directly at the Liberty cruise pier to have our car ready to leave when we disembarked, only problem with that is, if we arrive on the 24 of April and leave our car at the Liberty cruise pier parking how can we go back to the airport…? Is the pier near the Newark penn station? Will there be cabs available, even do their will not be a cruise ship at port that day.

Thanks a lot :)

Edited by lylymoon

Hi Everyone....hope someone can help me out.....

we will be driving to newark from our house to catch our flight to San Juan (we will be on the repor cruise from San Juan to Bayonne, April 25th to May 3rd) and I was wondering was is the best thing to do about parking. I was thinking of parking at the EWR long term parking, we will then catch Bayonne cruise shuttle to EWR when disembarking the cruise. Or maybe we could park directly at the Liberty cruise pier to have our car ready to leave when we disembarked, only problem with that is, if we arrive on the 24 of April and leave our car at the Liberty cruise pier parking how can we go back to the airport…? Is the pier near the Newark penn station? Will there be cabs available, even do their will not be a cruise ship at port that day.

Thanks a lot :)

You can't park at the port if there's no cruise departing that day. The lot won't be accessible, they'll be no one to collect the parking fee and there won't be any transportation to the airport.

Cape Liberty isn't near Newark Penn station.

You should either park at an airport parking lot or nearby off airport lot.

I see you're from Montreal. You have a long drive to EWR. If you can, drive down the day before and stay at a hotel that has a park/sleep/fly package. Try trinityreservations.com for booking a package.

When your ship arrives at Cape Liberty you can take a shared ride shuttle or taxi from the port to the hotel or lot where you're parked.

You can't park at the port if there's no cruise departing that day. The lot won't be accessible, they'll be no one to collect the parking fee and there won't be any transportation to the airport.

Cape Liberty isn't near Newark Penn station.

You should either park at an airport parking lot or nearby off airport lot.

I see you're from Montreal. You have a long drive to EWR. If you can, drive down the day before and stay at a hotel that has a park/sleep/fly package. Try trinityreservations.com for booking a package.

When your ship arrives at Cape Liberty you can take a shared ride shuttle or taxi from the port to the hotel or lot where you're parked.

Thanks for the quick response....EWR long term parking it will be :)

Come up with a budget for room, parking, and port transportation and post back. Few hotels offer an all inclusive package.

Newark is not a vacation destination - it caters primarily to a one night transient crowd. Your most economical choice is Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Paza for $208 tax included with 14 days parking AND round trip port transportation.

Thanks for the info, don't really have a budget in mind, usually go out of Fort Lauderdale and use a hotel near to the cruise terminal so never worry about parking. I will look into Trinity Reservations

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help, i will look into this option as well as trinity reservations. Just want somewhere safe to leave the car for the 12 days.

Shout out to 138 east

Carol, we are sailing on the Liberty Nov 2 and need a hotel for the night before. I saw where you made recommendations about a year ago...We tried the Hampton Inn Staton Island, but it is now booked up. What do you recommend for backups?

Thanks

Doug

The NYC Mrathon is Nov 1, so I can easily believe the Staten Island hotels are booked already. Actually you probably want to stay away from Staten Island altogether.

Please provide more details - budget, number of people, flying or driving (if driving do you need a park/sleep), etc

Carol

Thank you so much for your rapid reply.Our plans are a bit up in the air at this point. We are thinking about flying in as much as a week early and renting a car to travel up your way to see a bit of countryside....Boston, perhaps around New Hampshire some...just driving around. But the day before the cruise we would like to be very close , even near the airport, where I suppose we could hire a car to take us to the port. We do not need fancy, but we want safe and clean if possible....

Doug

For the airport you cannot book the very cheapest hotels. Even though you don't need the parking, the least expensive deal for you might be a park sleep through Trinityreservations.com for $197 TAX INCLUDED which gives you a room at the Ramada Plaza plus round trip port transportation. Many cruisers use this package.

Other hotels to be considered that have good prices for 11/1 are Embassy Suites, Country Inns, and the Hilton. You will pay $50-60 each way for a taxi or car service to the port. You may be able to buy round trip port transportation at Country Inns for $70 for two people. From the port to the airport there is an option of taking a shared shuttle for $16/pp.

Look at Kayak and aa.com for a variety of choices. Some are regular reservations, some are nonrefundable, and some are prepay, but refundable up to a very close date. Taxes are hefty, so look at the final cost. Hotels offering free breakfast usually offer no other food service. Full service hotels with restaurants and bars usually don't offer free breakfast. Hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall(food court), Ruby Tuesday's, IHOP, and Appleby's, so food is not an issue.

We are staying in downtown Newark the 29th to the 31st of October. We hope to do the tourist thing, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc. on the 30th and 31st. Does anyone know what effect, if any, the marathon on November 1st have on those two days?

We are staying in downtown Newark the 29th to the 31st of October. We hope to do the tourist thing, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc. on the 30th and 31st. Does anyone know what effect, if any, the marathon on November 1st have on those two days?

You shouldn't have any problems.